Photo

Google Android

1,355 replies to this topic
lordjubblydave
  • lordjubblydave

Jubbly > RROD

• D1RTY12

Posted 17 October 2010 - 06:49 PM

Yes, just install ADW and when you want to go back to sense you can just "turn off " ADW.
Think of ADW the same as Rocket Dock for windows, it adds functionality, but if you don't want it uninstall and your Phone will be restored.

Installing a custom Rom is Different, it WILL overwrite your phone with a Custom Version of Android, this is irreversable unless you have a HTC version of Android saved as a Rom.
This App is very good for Backing up your Phone prior to any installation of a custom rom

Tommy-Vercetti19
  • Tommy-Vercetti19

Sure, Grand, No Probs

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 October 2010 - 07:07 PM

Well. i installed the ADW and it only installed the wallpapers, i think i need metamorph or something. tounge.gif

So can i download that Titanium app and i can backup my original Sense ROM? smile.gif

lordjubblydave
  • lordjubblydave

Jubbly > RROD

• D1RTY12

Posted 17 October 2010 - 07:13 PM

Im not 100% sure as i have never bothered backing up my phones (i know, i know)

i just had a scout around XDA and alot of the roms do include Sense ie http://forum.xda-dev...highlight=sense.

Cyanogenmod does not.

But IMO CM6 is better than HTC's version of Android.

ADW install from the Marketplace then press the home button and you should get a pop up listing all your Home Applictions, select ADW.launcher and set as default, then you should have the new dock and all related shizzle.

Tommy-Vercetti19
  • Tommy-Vercetti19

Sure, Grand, No Probs

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 October 2010 - 07:31 PM

How do i install from the marketplace? Sorry for asking so many questions i'm just so confused about this stuff. lol.gif

I'll probably just end up ditching Sense and go with it then unroot when HTC release Froyo(If they do)

lordjubblydave
  • lordjubblydave

Jubbly > RROD

• D1RTY12

Posted 17 October 2010 - 07:34 PM

Open the Market App search for ADW.launcher then click install

Tommy-Vercetti19
  • Tommy-Vercetti19

Sure, Grand, No Probs

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 October 2010 - 07:52 PM

Ah i see i got it! Just that one part of the drawer is bigger than the other. lol.gif Thanks Jubbly! smile.gif

Chargr
  • Chargr

★★★★★

• Members

Posted 19 October 2010 - 01:01 AM

Some of the Themes on ADW.Launcher seem pretty weak (On the Android Market, not sure if there's a site to see more). As for Launcher Pro, I messed with it a little on a friends phone, but its a bit confusing. Although, it has some great looking themes.

XMike
  • XMike

Gangsta

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 19 October 2010 - 05:51 AM

R.I.P. G1 sad.gif

So I destroyed my G1. Still have like a year and two months until the 2 year contract with T-Mobile is up. Does that mean I'm going to have to shell out like $500 if I want the likes of the G2? If so, looks like I'm using my mom's old phone for a while.

Pico
  • Pico

cinnamon ropes

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 19 October 2010 - 05:29 PM

If you don't have any type of insurance to replace it, then you might be f*cked.
Not sure what T-Mobile offers but I would assume they have some type of refurbished phones available. VZW offers certified pre-owned phones that meet somewhere near the middle of 2-year pricing and full retail. For instance, if it's a phone that's $200 on contract but $600 full retail, you can usually get it for like $290 or so. Give them a call and see.

Tornado Rex
  • Tornado Rex

*nix gets the chicks

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 20 October 2010 - 01:56 AM

And this is why Android will always be better than iPhone smile.gif

http://www.droid-lif...oh-it-has-been/

Witchking-J-F
  • Witchking-J-F

Ghetto Star

• The Precinct
  • None
  • Poetry Master [All Time]

Posted 23 October 2010 - 10:57 PM

Have tried ADW an LP but always find myself coming back to Sense, I miss the HTC widgets when I don't have them, and I guess because Sense was my first android experience, it is just what I am most comfortable with.

kudoboi
  • kudoboi

HI

• Members

Posted 24 October 2010 - 08:04 AM

any idea why my XT720 keeps freezing?

Pico
  • Pico

cinnamon ropes

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 25 October 2010 - 07:36 AM

@W-J-F, Sense is pretty nice but I've grown past utilizing widgets. I find it easier to get more information from full apps than what widgets have to offer. Having a phone fast enough to flip through apps as fast as I can click buttons/tap the screen i definitely nice smile.gif

@kudoboi, does it just freeze? As in it completely locks up, doesn't respond to button presses or anything? If so, I'm assuming you're pulling the battery to get it to restart... if you aren't using a task killer it could just be that you're running too many high-memory usage apps too often and it's eating up too much RAM. Try a task killer if you already aren't. If you already are... have you modified the software on the phone in any way, eg rooted and/or installed any custom ROMs/bootloaders/etc?

And if it's not completely freezing as described above, please be a little more in depth about the issues that are occurring.

d00d
  • d00d

Common sense with a baseball bat

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 25 October 2010 - 08:57 AM

A query for any android experts in here - I've got a Dell Streak, and sometimes the battery will drop like hell (10% in 30 minutes), whereas usually its a great battery (will still have 50% at the end of a 10 hour day). After a restart and battery pull though its absolutely fine.

Is there some kind of process that chews that sh*t up?

Witchking-J-F
  • Witchking-J-F

Ghetto Star

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 25 October 2010 - 10:26 PM

QUOTE (Pico @ Oct 25 2010, 08:36)
@W-J-F, Sense is pretty nice but I've grown past utilizing widgets. I find it easier to get more information from full apps than what widgets have to offer. Having a phone fast enough to flip through apps as fast as I can click buttons/tap the screen i definitely nice smile.gif

I kinda get where you are coming from, but I still find I have uses for my widgets. And I guess one of the beauties of android is that I have 3 completely distinct home setups, that I can switch between effortlessly with home switcher. It is all about choice eh?

Out of interest, what onscreen keyboards are people using? The HTC one which shipped with the desire really is fantastic, but over the last few weeks I have fallen head over heels in love with SwiftKey! Can't get over how much faster it has made me.

Also my dad had played with my phone quite a bit, but I was very surprised when a parcel arrived at the house yesterday with his very own second hand desire in it. Looks like it is in perfect condition too. Another convert!

Pico
  • Pico

cinnamon ropes

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 26 October 2010 - 05:04 AM

Is Swiftkey the one that enlarges the next letter it thinks you are going to type? If so, I tried it way back when it was new... it was ok but I like my keys to stay put, lol. Maybe I'll give it another shot... I'm really holding out for Blindtype. Now that Google bought it I hope it'll be included in the next build, or at least offered in the market. Haven't heard of Blindtype? Check it out on Youtube, it's amazing.

I use the standard multi-touch keyboard on the X. However... I installed a custom ROM and the f*cking ROM creator f*cked with the keyboard so the size of the letters are slightly different and it's f*cking me up lately. But I've learned nothing beats a physical keyboard for me, I can't want until VZW comes out with one with a =/>4.0" screen with a slide-out QWERTY and great supporting specs.

Glad to hear you got your dad into Android! icon14.gif icon14.gif

@d00d... could be an app running. Have you tried tracking what item is using the battery the most? You should be able to through the settings, although I've forgotten how to get there exactly. The Streak may not have it...

Witchking-J-F
  • Witchking-J-F

Ghetto Star

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 26 October 2010 - 08:12 AM

Nah, SwiftKey is the one that predicts the whole next word that you are going to type, and gives you a choice of three above the keyboard. It scans all of your sent messages and emails to learn the way you type when you install it, and obviously keeps learning as you use it. It is almost frightening that your phone knows what you are going to type before you do!

It is a (cheap) paid app, but there is a free 2 week trial. Really couldn't recommend it enough. Give it a shot!

d00d
  • d00d

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 26 October 2010 - 09:34 AM

I use Ultra Keyboard and swear by it.

Pico, I've looked at the battery usage but it doesn't have individual app usage, just stuff like "screen", "radio", "standby", etc.

Pico
  • Pico

cinnamon ropes

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 27 October 2010 - 04:24 AM

WJF, I'll check it out... I'm not a fan of going with suggested words, it just seems to unnatural to stop typing and select a word for me. Definitely crazy if it gets it right even most of the time, but I doubt I'll be able to break the habit of just typing the entire word out myself. I usually only use (regular) predictive texting if it's a longer word, lol.

@d00d, well the highest one on the list is most likely the one of those and it's probably got a much, much higher usage than any of the rest, right? If there's one that uses like half as much as the primary one (assuming it's either the display or the radio) and it's not a standard one like that, it's probably that app. There are other battery tracking apps that you can download to track which app is using how many/much resources so you can pin it down. It could also just be a faulty battery giving out sh*tty readings and not charging fully.

kudoboi
  • kudoboi

HI

• Members

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:33 AM

QUOTE (Pico @ Oct 25 2010, 07:36)

@kudoboi, does it just freeze? As in it completely locks up, doesn't respond to button presses or anything? If so, I'm assuming you're pulling the battery to get it to restart... if you aren't using a task killer it could just be that you're running too many high-memory usage apps too often and it's eating up too much RAM. Try a task killer if you already aren't. If you already are... have you modified the software on the phone in any way, eg rooted and/or installed any custom ROMs/bootloaders/etc?

And if it's not completely freezing as described above, please be a little more in depth about the issues that are occurring.

no i havnt even root my phone yet since i just bought it, i don't want to corrupt it.
the battery will just shut down for 30 mins can you cannot on, and sometimes it even have the sound replaying over and over again but nothing is responding. and 30 mins later it just says battery is 5% but when 30 mins ago it was like 90%

Witchking-J-F
  • Witchking-J-F

Ghetto Star

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:40 AM

Yeah, it takes some getting used to. Basically you have to get used to pressing above the keyboard and not below, even if you type the whole word.

Anyone seen the benchmarks for the desire hd, pretty crazy.

dice
  • dice

love_triangle

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:48 AM

Do any of you guys have a phone with res 240 x 320 (qvga) ? I'm planning on buying an android (the Wildfire) with that resolution, but from what I've read there aren't many apps for that resolution and my main reason for buying an android is just that.

matthew1g
  • matthew1g

Trust me, I'm a pipe smoker

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 27 October 2010 - 01:27 PM

if I were you i'd stay away from wildfire.I've got friends using that phone and its not THAT good. If you want to get apps get a phone with a better res.

I'm considering switching over to Android myself. everyone at the ICT block has desires, nexus one, Hd2 with froyo and hell even a couple of guys running around with froyo on their old G1s.

I have a couple of questions to ask however:

1. Does android have a widget that shows you upcoming events from the calendar?
2. Are there any apps that lets you schedule (sound)profiles? My symbian phone has an app that changes profiles according to a manually entered schedule or keywords in the calendar. I really love it. (http://store.ovi.com/content/2536?clickSource=search#/content/2536/reviews)

3. Does it have a timetable app such as: http://www.istudentpro.com/ Symbian lacks such an app. This and games are the only reasons I still carry my my ipod touch around.
4. Hows the gaming scene? I'd like it to replace my ipod touch in the gaming department. I'm also looking into running GBA/GB/PSX4Droid.

5. Does android offer an easy migration path from other oses (symbian in this case)?
6. How does android handle itself without a dataplan?

I'm currently looking at either milestone 2 or the desire Z/droid2-g2 for you americans. What would you recommend? I probably won't leave vanilla android on.

lordjubblydave
  • lordjubblydave

Jubbly > RROD

• D1RTY12

Posted 27 October 2010 - 04:23 PM

QUOTE (^- Dice -> @ Oct 27 2010, 08:48)
Do any of you guys have a phone with res 240 x 320 (qvga) ? I'm planning on buying an android (the Wildfire) with that resolution, but from what I've read there aren't many apps for that resolution and my main reason for buying an android is just that.

If you are looking for a budget android phone check out lil beauty locked to Orange. But for Under 100quid whats not to like http://www.techradar...o-901915/review

Pico
  • Pico

cinnamon ropes

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 27 October 2010 - 06:00 PM

@matt, I don't have much time so this will be a quick post:

1. Yep, the default calendar widget syncs with your gmail and shows events, plus you get notifications anyhow.

2. Not positive, but I'd be willing to bet there are. Check out Androlib.com or appbrain.com to get info on Android apps.
side note: It's easy to adjust volume anyway. The master volume when on the home screen controls ringer and notifications' volume and when you're in an app that uses media you can adjust media volume at that point.

3. Something like this? http://www.appbrain....m.eusoft.grades

4. Those emulators you listed run great on higher end Android phones, like my X for example. It runs those all just fine. As for game apps found in the market, I'm not big on games but there are tons.

5. In terms of what? Like data and/or contacts? If you can export your contacts from your phone in a .csv file you can import that into your gmail account which will sync them into your Android phone. As for the other data... microsd card?

6. Is that even possible? At least in the US, you're not going to get a smartphone with out some type of data plan. It'll work, but why wouldn't you want data? I understand money would be an issue, but really, it's totally worth it for me, and going by your questions I'd say it'd be great for you.

matthew1g
  • matthew1g

Trust me, I'm a pipe smoker

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 27 October 2010 - 06:11 PM

2. That works, but the beauty in such an app is that you dont have to remember to switch profiles as the phone is automated and does everything on its own, so I won't have to worry about forgetting to switch the phone to silent during meetings or lectures.

5. contacts, messages, notes basically (calendar on my symbian is already synced to gcal)

6. I buy data as a prepaid package whenever I need it I'm not always using 3g on my phone so I just don't bother with a dataplan. And remember this is europe.. a Lot of us (me included) just pay full for the unlocked phone and use it on whatever carrier we want to on prepaid plans. I don't want the phone to be on 3G when I'm off bundle cause that's like 7c per meg.

Ronnyboy
  • Ronnyboy

Blind leading the deaf, leading the socially inept.

• Members

Posted 28 October 2010 - 03:54 AM

Can you guys recommend a good Android Tablet? I've decided to delve into the Android world, and I really don't want to waste my money on an iPad for my next "computer" so can anyone help?

jelly
  • jelly

Posted 28 October 2010 - 05:56 AM

Preliminary reports indicate Android isn't ready for tablets yet - its a phone OS shoehorned into a larger form factor. Even Google is chilling expectations for Android tablets before the release of 3.0 which will be more accomodating of them.

Basically, wait. Or buy a Galaxy Tab. Whichever. tounge.gif

Pico
  • Pico

cinnamon ropes

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 28 October 2010 - 04:16 PM

I actually had hands on with the Tab yesterday (perks of the job), and while I can't go into specifics, I can say that it was very fun. I also played with the iPad at the same time and the Tab just seemed more friendly and usable to me. When I grabbed the iPad I couldn't help but think "ok... what can I do on here?" I will admit that most of that is probably due to my familiarity with Android.

d00d
  • d00d

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 28 October 2010 - 06:14 PM

I've used both pretty heavily, and while I'm more biased towards Android...I have to say for a smooth user experience, the iPad was better. Its just more refined, a -much- better keyboard and there are no compatibility issues - something you want to avoid with a tablet, as its meant to be a convenient device.

Android isn't quite ready for tablets yet. That said, if you're willing to wait hold out for the Android 3.0 tablets, apparently they are revamping the whole UI with something that will be more "tablet friendly". Sometime in Q1 2011? Possibly Q2.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users