» «
Photo

Google Android

1,214 replies to this topic
jelly
  • jelly

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:01 AM

Pico, is this what you were on about? http://www.engadget....he-merge-for-v/

At a quick glance it looks like it's pretty much just a redesigned and Verizon-branded G2/Desire Z.

kudoboi
  • kudoboi

HI

• Members

Posted 21 September 2010 - 11:29 AM

QUOTE (jelly @ Sep 21 2010, 08:01)
Pico, is this what you were on about? http://www.engadget....he-merge-for-v/

At a quick glance it looks like it's pretty much just a redesigned and Verizon-branded G2/Desire Z.

damn hope they sell this here. there were alot of htc models that didnt come to SG.

Pico
  • Pico

cinnamon ropes

• Zaibatsu

Posted 24 September 2010 - 04:43 AM

That may be it... if it is, it wasn't referred to as the Lexikon, that's for sure. I don't think they had a name for it at that time. That looks to be a pretty cool phone, though.

Also... don't know if anyone else here has a Droid X, but if so the 2.2 update is out. Just go to Settings>About Phone>System Updates and it should find it.
I can't right now, I have the leaked 2.2 installed so I need to revert back to 2.1 which includes a wipe. I just don't have the time to back up, revert and install. It'll probably take me like an hour to do all of that.

Tommy-Vercetti19
  • Tommy-Vercetti19

Sure, Grand, No Probs

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 September 2010 - 02:00 PM

I'm still waiting for HTC to release the 2.2 update for the Legend as my network provider doesn't brand the phone.
Anyone have any ideas when?

Anyone use better music apps than the default HTC one?

lordjubblydave
  • lordjubblydave

Jubbly > RROD

• D1RTY12

Posted 29 September 2010 - 05:58 PM

@ tommy, it should drop in the next few weeks i think. I will keep an eye out for it as Mrs Jubbly has a Legend too

If not Cyanogenmod 6.1 will be released for the Legend and is based on FroYo, as for a release date, who knows ? Before Christmas would be a safe bet

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:48 PM

I bought my HTC G1 the first week they were out. It is finally dieing I think. I'm on my second battery and even though the new battery is all but a month old it is starting to bloat.

The good news is I pre-ordered my G2 today. I will have it next Wed. I'm excited. Totally looking forward to the speedier processor and I sure as hell hope HTC has addressed some of it's battery issues.

I'm really looking forward to doing some more development. All of my Android apps were written early on when it was pretty much just the G1 having access to the market. Now that there are bunch more android phones with access to the market I will finally be able to write up-to-date code for all the phones.

Pico
  • Pico

cinnamon ropes

• Zaibatsu

Posted 30 September 2010 - 05:11 AM Edited by Pico, 30 September 2010 - 05:19 AM.

Nice, the G2 looks like a great phone, the keyboard looks awesome for sure. As I've said before, I've learned my lesson with the Droid X; nothing beats a hardware keyboard.

Now... who's going to make the first 4-4.5" screen phone with a slide out QWERTY?? tounge2.gif

@Tommy, I use Mixzing for music, I like it a lot. The widgets look great, for sure.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:22 PM

The problem with my G2 will be my wife. She has a G1 and isn't eligible for a cheap G2 for about another year. I sense I will be shelling out the cash for a full priced G2 for her.

Pico, since I know you were from the early G1 days how the hell did you convert away from a full keyboard? I even came close to getting one of the MyTouch phones with a slide out. Some times it is tough to be patient.

Can ya tell I'm excited? I even took next wed off from work, so I can be here when it gets delivered.

Chargr
  • Chargr

★★★★★

• Members

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:10 PM

QUOTE (tripmills @ Sep 29 2010, 12:48)
I bought my HTC G1 the first week they were out. It is finally dieing I think. I'm on my second battery and even though the new battery is all but a month old it is starting to bloat.

The good news is I pre-ordered my G2 today. I will have it next Wed. I'm excited. Totally looking forward to the speedier processor and I sure as hell hope HTC has addressed some of it's battery issues.

I'm really looking forward to doing some more development. All of my Android apps were written early on when it was pretty much just the G1 having access to the market. Now that there are bunch more android phones with access to the market I will finally be able to write up-to-date code for all the phones.

Where did you pre order your G2 at? The T Mobile forums are full with people with G2'S already, I think most ordered directly from the T mobile website. I ordered mines from Wirefly and no update on my order.

So far phone is looking good...

Pico
  • Pico

cinnamon ropes

• Zaibatsu

Posted 01 October 2010 - 04:35 AM

Lol, well now you can spend the whole day playing with it! Lol, I can't blame you.
It sucked when I got my Droid X. I had to drive home and pick it up at the front office of my apartment complex, then immediately box up a second one (my brothers) and ship it to him. This was on my one hour lunch break. So not only did I not have enough time to eat lunch that day, by the time I had the phone on and activated my break was up! I can tell you, the second half of that day took forever! tounge.gif

I wouldn't have gone with a touch screen only phone if it wasn't a 4.3", or at least 4.0". The screen is nice and large so it's easy to type, the biggest issue is it accepting my inputs, although from time to time I do have an issue placing my finger in the right place to type, although I've gotten decent at typing on it with out looking at the screen (f*ck yeah). But as I said, I've definitely learned nothing, not even a 4.3" screen, beats a physical keyboard. It'll take some insane f*cking specs on a touch screen only phone to get me to go with one again.
Hopefully I'll be able to afford a phone at two year pricing (~$200) around Christmas time this year. And if so, I hope that VZW comes out with a ~4" screen with a slide out qwerty and a 1Ghz+ CPU around that time. If so, I'll be starting up another line just to get another phone, lol. To add another smartphone with unlimited data, texting, and shared minutes it'll only cost me $20 a month. Worst comes to worst I keep the new phone or my Droid X active and put a cheap feature phone on the line and bring it down to $5 a month.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 01 October 2010 - 11:20 AM Edited by tripmills, 02 October 2010 - 12:53 AM.

QUOTE (Chargr @ Sep 30 2010, 23:10)
QUOTE (tripmills @ Sep 29 2010, 12:48)
I bought my HTC G1 the first week they were out.  It is finally dieing I think.  I'm on my second battery and even though the new battery is all but a month old it is starting to bloat.

The good news is I pre-ordered my G2 today.  I will have it next Wed.  I'm excited.  Totally looking forward to the speedier processor and I sure as hell hope HTC has addressed some of it's battery issues.

I'm really looking forward to doing some more development.  All of my Android apps were written early on when it was pretty much just the G1 having access to the market.  Now that there are bunch more android phones with access to the market I will finally be able to write up-to-date code for all the phones.

Where did you pre order your G2 at? The T Mobile forums are full with people with G2'S already, I think most ordered directly from the T mobile website. I ordered mines from Wirefly and no update on my order.

So far phone is looking good...

I pre-ordered from t-mobile. When I ordered it they said it would arrive at my address on the 6th. BUT...I got an sms from t-mobile last night with the tracking number. IT IS BEING DELIVERED TODAY!!!

Still gonna take Wed off wink.gif

EDIT:
Got my G2 and it is freakin great. A major step up from the G1. Me=very happy smile.gif

Another Edit:
Holy sh*t. I freaking love this phone.

lordjubblydave
  • lordjubblydave

Jubbly > RROD

• D1RTY12

Posted 05 October 2010 - 05:31 PM

I just got This it works a treat on my Galaxy S running 2.2.
No video yet sad.gif

Pico
  • Pico

cinnamon ropes

• Zaibatsu

Posted 06 October 2010 - 07:43 AM

I've never gotten into the whole Skype thing. I don't talk on the phone nearly enough to get close to my 700 minute limit, and I don't call over seas. So I don't really see a need for it...

@trip, glad you're loving your G2. I know Beavis on here wants to get it. Maybe shoot him a PM and let him know how awesome you think it is, lol. I'm sure he'd like the opinion from an owner.
You remind me of when I got my Droid X... I thought my G1 was the sh*t when it first came out, but that was mainly due to the software, it really wasn't every really fast even compared to other phones in the cellphone market. Now that we've got some serious power behind the Android OS it's just simply f*cking amazing. But as I said, my Droid X has slowed down... I had to do an entire wipe to get it back to 2.1 update-1 to install the official 2.2, after that it sped up a lot but it's seemed to settle into a slower groove, although it's not as bad as with the leaked 2.2.

Not to turn this into a dream phone thread, but going off my cellphone usage, these are the specs I'd probably love in a phone:
Latest version of Android
4.5" touch screen
hardware buttons under the screen with an optical track pad on the front.
Horizontal slide out 5 row QWERTY, similar to the G1 (I still think it's one of the best cellphone keyboards ever)
3.0Ghz dual core, possibly quad core
1GB of RAM
as much memory as possible, two SD card slots
12mp camera with 1080p video with quality comparable to that of a dedicated recorder, xenon flash
12 hour battery life
3.2mm jack
HDMI out, DLNA, displaying EVERYTHING on the phone, basically cloning what's on the screen onto the TV
Software to allow playing pretty much any video file, with no need for 3rd party programs
LOUD, crystal clear speaker
4G or higher speeds

Again, pretty much a dream phone. But I'm sure we'll see similar, if not better, specs in the not too far off future. Give it like 5 years, lol. Who knows, maybe less if you take away the 12 hour battery life and replace it with something like 3 lol.gif
But if I had a phone with those specs... notify.gif

lordjubblydave
  • lordjubblydave

Jubbly > RROD

• D1RTY12

Posted 06 October 2010 - 07:38 PM

Check out this really cool app.

Basically i got pissed off with paying Tmob to listen to my voocemail.
This app bypasses your networks voicemail.
It is free and has better features :-)

Pico
  • Pico

cinnamon ropes

• Zaibatsu

Posted 07 October 2010 - 02:08 AM

On my phone and on break so I didn't check out the link, but I use Google Voice for my voicemail. It over rides the VZW voicemail and I can play it through the app which does speed to text. Very nice and of course free.

Chargr
  • Chargr

★★★★★

• Members

Posted 14 October 2010 - 02:33 AM

Got the G2 Yesterday, Love it. Getting use to Android Now.

Thinking about getting a task killer, but heard its kinda buggy on the G2 right now, and kills battery.

Pico
  • Pico

cinnamon ropes

• Zaibatsu

Posted 14 October 2010 - 04:29 AM

Good luck with the hinge, hope it hangs in there for you icon14.gif
I held a demo device at Best Buy the other day, it feels pretty good, although I know I'd move the screen half when it's open and I'm typing way too much for comfort.

As far as a task killer goes... I use System Panel. It's got system info as well as allows you to kill apps (of very running levels, such as active, inactive, background, etc). Honestly, since the G2 has Android 2.2 you shouldn't need to kill tasks too often. I might kill all the tasks once, maybe twice a day. Since I rooted my Droid X and removed about 5-10 bloatware apps it's definitely decreased the amount of times I've had to kill apps throughout the day, though.

Glad to see more people migrating to Android! It's so amazing to see Android embraced... I knew since way back when I got my G1 that it would be a huge hit.

Chargr
  • Chargr

★★★★★

• Members

Posted 14 October 2010 - 04:47 PM

QUOTE (Pico @ Oct 13 2010, 21:29)
Good luck with the hinge, hope it hangs in there for you icon14.gif
I held a demo device at Best Buy the other day, it feels pretty good, although I know I'd move the screen half when it's open and I'm typing way too much for comfort.

As far as a task killer goes... I use System Panel. It's got system info as well as allows you to kill apps (of very running levels, such as active, inactive, background, etc). Honestly, since the G2 has Android 2.2 you shouldn't need to kill tasks too often. I might kill all the tasks once, maybe twice a day. Since I rooted my Droid X and removed about 5-10 bloatware apps it's definitely decreased the amount of times I've had to kill apps throughout the day, though.

Glad to see more people migrating to Android! It's so amazing to see Android embraced... I knew since way back when I got my G1 that it would be a huge hit.

The hinge is fine.. Must have a good device.. But I have heard of the problems some are having with it. I got 3 G2s and all are running smooth and no loose hinge.

Just got the snes emulator working... works great. Is launcher pro recommended btw?

Pico
  • Pico

cinnamon ropes

• Zaibatsu

Posted 15 October 2010 - 08:39 AM

Why 3??

LauncherPro is an incredibly popular launcher replacement. I've found ADW.Launcher to be noticeably smoother and I love all of it's features.
I'd only recommend LauncherPro over ADW if you're a big fan of social networking widgets. LauncherPro, from what I hear, has some great ones. ADW Launcher doesn't come with any special widgets. I don't use those at all, and the smoothness and sleekness of ADW.Launcher wins in my book.

Chargr
  • Chargr

★★★★★

• Members

Posted 15 October 2010 - 05:04 PM

I got a 2 yr contract family plan. 3 lines with each G2 costing 99$ thanks to Amazon.

Thanks will try both of those apps.

lordjubblydave
  • lordjubblydave

Jubbly > RROD

• D1RTY12

Posted 15 October 2010 - 05:35 PM

It's all personal taste but i like ADW better.

Tornado Rex
  • Tornado Rex

*nix gets the chicks

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 16 October 2010 - 02:36 AM

QUOTE (lordjubblydave @ Oct 15 2010, 12:35)
It's all personal taste but i like ADW better.

This. Also it really does depend on your phone. I've heard of people who say ADW is a ton faster than LP, and the exact same the other way around. Much like custom ROMs it all depends on your phone setup how each works.

Chargr
  • Chargr

★★★★★

• Members

Posted 16 October 2010 - 02:59 AM

I tried ADW, can't get it to work. When I download a theme I have no idea how to apply it. I can't even find the ADW app settings.

lordjubblydave
  • lordjubblydave

Jubbly > RROD

• D1RTY12

Posted 16 October 2010 - 07:09 AM

To get to ADW settings just press your normal Android settings button (ie the hard menu button onthe G1) It is in that menu

Pico
  • Pico

cinnamon ropes

• Zaibatsu

Posted 17 October 2010 - 07:27 AM

Yep, ADW.Launcher gives you an "ADW-Settings" button when you press menu from the home screen. Everything can be found in there. Several different sub-menus which can be confusing at first. But I definitely love it over Launcher Pro, although I haven't touched LauncherPro for many months now.
One thing that's great about ADW is the ability to save your home screen and ADW settings and restore them later on, it's come in handy many times.

Tommy-Vercetti19
  • Tommy-Vercetti19

Sure, Grand, No Probs

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 October 2010 - 03:02 PM

Just speaking of themes, i would like to root my HTC legend so i can use this on my Legend, but i haven't a clue on rooting at all.

Like will i be able to keep my HTC sense aswell? Any decent guides and is there any performance gain? tounge.gif Thanks. biggrin.gif

lordjubblydave
  • lordjubblydave

Jubbly > RROD

• D1RTY12

Posted 17 October 2010 - 05:28 PM Edited by lordjubblydave, 17 October 2010 - 05:36 PM.

Check Out This Everything you could ever possibly want to know about Rooting your Legend or Specific Roms for it will be there.

When you get your head around the Gold Card thing needed to root your phone let me know which guide you followed, so i can Root Mrs Jubbly's

With Regard to your theme as far as i can see it is just an .apk (androids equivalent of .exe) just download it to your phone and run it, then go into ADW Settings-Themes Preferences-Select your Theme to apply it smile.gif

Tommy-Vercetti19
  • Tommy-Vercetti19

Sure, Grand, No Probs

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 October 2010 - 05:51 PM

I'm so lost when i go there, if i root my phone, will i loose the HTC sense UI or is there a way to get it back with a rooted legend.
I'm unclear of what ROM i download either. lol.gif

So i need to root my phone to what ever ROM, then go to ADW settings(wherever that is tounge.gif ) and just load the theme?

lordjubblydave
  • lordjubblydave

Jubbly > RROD

• D1RTY12

Posted 17 October 2010 - 06:16 PM

If you Root the phone you should not lose HTC Sense, Rooting just gives you SuperUser Pemissions all your settings will be the same.
What rooting does do is give you the option of Installing Custom Roms, if you do this then most of the time you will lose all settings and Data, like when you re-install an operating system.
The only way you will lose HTC Sense will be if you install a custom rom without it built into the rom but there are probably ways around it.
The problem is HTC Sense is proprietry and i am not sure if it is open source so people who make custom roms probably don't have access to the code so have no way of including it legally.

As for Custom Roms Cyanogenmod 6 is awesome, also aim for one based around 2.2 FroYo.

With regard to your theme just download it and try it out, you dont need to be Root to install an ADW Custom Theme.

Tommy-Vercetti19
  • Tommy-Vercetti19

Sure, Grand, No Probs

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 October 2010 - 06:19 PM Edited by Tommy-Vercetti19, 17 October 2010 - 06:36 PM.

I see, i see. So i just root it, then i can back Sense up to my PC or wherever incase?
I'll download the latest Cynanogenmod so.

So i just use HTC sync to install the ADW. If i apply it is there ways to revert back to the orginal sense UI?
Thanks alot for the help Jubbly. icon14.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users