Google Android

2,310 replies to this topic
hornedturtle
  • hornedturtle

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:17 PM

Can you install the games that you buy on Google Play on multiple devices? I recently bought an Android phone and my mom bought me a tablet also and I'm wondering if I can install and play the games on both devices (perhaps not at the same time).

it is bound to your google account so you should be able to.
  • Kristian. likes this

Alchemist
  • Alchemist

the congressional medal of sh*tposting

• Zaibatsu
  • NATO
  • Most Talented Graphics Artist 2015
    Most Improved Member 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Best Poster [Technology] 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:08 PM

Yes, I have purchased GTA games on my phone and I can also download them on my tablet. As long as you're tethered to the same account.
  • Kristian. likes this

Nikopol89
  • Nikopol89

Player Hater

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 28 July 2014 - 01:21 AM

Month+ bump...woot

Haven't stopped in here for a year maybe. Anywho, I bought a Nexus 5 back in march and it has been awesome (I may have posted something about it, but I doubt it). Google announced at I/O that they were releasing "Android L" as a dev preview on today. I have it installed. I must say, it is cool looking an smooth running. Here be some photos:
http://imgur.com/tmGbNc1
http://imgur.com/q27zrGM
http://imgur.com/VUWgFmr

If you got any questions about Android L I can try to answer them...or you can let the topic fade away again lol

Interesting! What are the main features & differences with KitKat? (is it ART runtime, isn't it? how do apps behave?)

Alchemist
  • Alchemist

• Zaibatsu
  • NATO
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]

Posted 28 July 2014 - 01:33 AM

I do believe Android L uses ART.

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:26 AM

I don't know if it's just me but I'm noticing a lot of battery drain since upgrading to 4.4.4. Cyanogen mod was a disaster because it drained my battery even faster.

• NCONiall likes this

dice
  • dice

Always rolling

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Best Server SAMP 2009

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:37 PM

Tried fiddling with SetCPU or other similar apps?

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 28 July 2014 - 04:50 PM

Tried fiddling with SetCPU or other similar apps?

Yeah, didn't help. Guys over at the XDA suggested installing the franco kernel but I had gone back to stock by then. I thought of getting the Paranoid Android ROM since I've heard good things about it, but I think I'll wait until the Android L update. That'll probably be the last update for Nexus 4 so if I don't like it, I'll go for a custom ROM then.

What ROM are you guys on?

NCONiall
  • NCONiall

Alright Dave?

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 28 July 2014 - 04:57 PM Edited by NCONiall, 28 July 2014 - 04:58 PM.

I don't know if it's just me but I'm noticing a lot of battery drain since upgrading to 4.4.4. Cyanogen mod was a disaster because it drained my battery even faster.

I upgraded to 4.4.4 via Cyanogen Mod (nightlies) and I had to roll back to CM 10.2 (JB 4.2.2 stable) due to severe battery drain and lock-ups. I can get about three halves of a day to two days now that I've rolled back whereas with 4.4.4 it barely lasted a full day. I remember reading over on xda-developers that it can take a few days for the battery to 'settle' after upgrading. But that would only make sense if you recently upgraded.

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• BUSTED!
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:46 AM

Are there any apps similar to Lucky Patcher for non rooted android devices?

hornedturtle
  • hornedturtle

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 August 2014 - 08:00 AM

Are there any apps similar to Lucky Patcher for non rooted android devices?

what does it do?

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• BUSTED!
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 02 August 2014 - 09:04 AM

Loads of things but I want it to remove the annoying app verification thing.

dice
  • dice

Always rolling

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Best Server SAMP 2009

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:35 AM

You can turn it off manually.
https://support.goog...r/2812853?hl=en (at the bottom)

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

32nd President of Los Santos

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:51 PM Edited by FranklinDeRoosevelt, 07 August 2014 - 05:53 PM.

I'm planning to get a G2, and knowing the processer it uses, it should be superfast. However, I've heard it has lots of bloatware which holds back the potential. Will there ever be an update that can actually get rid of them, official updates of course? I don't like rooting my phone because I find it risky plus I like mine stock.

Also, what's so great about Android L? Apparently, it's not even that different from KitKat apart from small things such as icons and whatnot, but it isn't much faster than KitKat nor does it save as much as battery life.

Pooyan Cyrus
  • Pooyan Cyrus

Drake stole my notebook :(

• Members
  • Mars
  • Helpfulness Award [Concepts]
    Best Concept Story 2013 "Grand Theft Auto: Ultimate"
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:15 PM

I'm planning to get a G2, and knowing the processer it uses, it should be superfast. However, I've heard it has lots of bloatware which holds back the potential. Will there ever be an update that can actually get rid of them, official updates of course? I don't like rooting my phone because I find it risky plus I like mine stock.

Also, what's so great about Android L? Apparently, it's not even that different from KitKat apart from small things such as icons and whatnot, but it isn't much faster than KitKat nor does it save as much as battery life.

It's in beta state now. Wait until the final version comes for nexus devices, then you can judge it right.

It is a great update to Android, because it has a completely new UX.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

The Wolf Hunger Rises

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 09 August 2014 - 02:42 PM

If you want a G2 that isn't full of bloatware, you could just buy a Nexus 5.

Diego Mustard
  • Diego Mustard

Black Mage

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:11 PM Edited by Diego Mustard, 10 August 2014 - 08:27 PM.

I've got a Tab 3 7.0 (SM-T211) and I flashed it a stock 4.4.2 firmware from Italy after it was 4.1.2. I forgot how to access the developer settings in the settings of the device, can anyone tell me how to access it?

Will there ever be an update that can actually get rid of them, official updates of course? I don't like rooting my phone because I find it risky plus I like mine stock.

I doubt there would be such an update. Even if a majority of the people called it bloatware, if an update is pushed out to kill the bloatware, a small group of people may complain that these programs suddenly disappeared after using them. But you can turn off or disable the bloatware by going into their app settings; rids you of its icon from the app drawers and other settings, and the turned off bloatware will act like it isn't even on the device except that its taking space away.

NCONiall
  • NCONiall

Alright Dave?

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:05 AM Edited by NCONiall, 11 August 2014 - 10:11 AM.

I've got a Tab 3 7.0 (SM-T211) and I flashed it a stock 4.4.2 firmware from Italy after it was 4.1.2. I forgot how to access the developer settings in the settings of the device, can anyone tell me how to access it?

Go to Settings -> About phone, and tap 'Build number' seven times. Developer options should appear under system settings.

Kristian.
  • Kristian.

Dealux (ΣΓ)

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:28 AM

I installed CyanogenMod on my Samsung GT-I9100 last night and I haven't noticed any difference so far after some usage (mostly Internet), but the previous owner of the phone did install a custom ROM that might have been based on CM so there's that. The only issue I had was when I enabled the option to prevent the phone from waking up by checking the proximity sensor. I couldn't unlock the phone after I locked it for some reason even though there was nothing near the sensor, so I had to disable the option. RAM usage seemed a bit higher at first but it returned to previous levels after I closed some of the apps running in the background.

I didn't even know that the Moto G was so cheap and had such decent specs, but I still like my S2. I think it's one of the best looking Android devices around despite its age. I'm waiting to get a OnePlus One next year (if they start selling it by then) or the next Nexus phone from Google (I hope the price is going to be good).

Alchemist
  • Alchemist

• Zaibatsu
  • NATO
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:18 AM

I'm thinking of starting a weekly (around that time period) news recap for all things Android. Including phone spec leaks, Software updates, etc. If I were to do so, it would be posted here.

Is anyone interested in that?

Piperka
  • Piperka

Big Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Australia

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:46 AM

Upgraded from an s3 to a dardy LG G3! Screen size and resolution is amazing. I was going to wait for the nexus 6 but couldn't be bothered. Only think that I would've wanted more was for it to be water resistant but yoloswag

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

We're born with nothing and we die alone

• Zaibatsu
  • United-States

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:22 PM

I'm hoping HTC's next flagship by the time I upgrade will be good as the HTC One. I have the original in red and I love it. The last software update I got was 4.4.2. 

If not for HTC then maybe I'll go back to the Galaxy. Maybe.

GreatGig
  • GreatGig

Ron Swanson, A Swan Song.

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:47 PM

Upgraded from an s3 to a dardy LG G3! Screen size and resolution is amazing. I was going to wait for the nexus 6 but couldn't be bothered. Only think that I would've wanted more was for it to be water resistant but yoloswag

Water resistance is a feature I'm finding myself wanting more and more. I'm not a fan of Sony Ericsson devices but their latest water-resistant lines are looking pretty good. My Note 3 now has a messed up ear speaker thanks to some light rain. I don't really give a damn seeing as though I can't use it anyway, but I like to have every last thing in working order.

When my contract ends I'll be moving away from Samsung, that's for sure. The Note 3 is an amazing phone and I love it but I'm not a fan of their UI. The G3 is very appealing and I wish I had waited a few months for it, but by the time my contract runs out LG will have something else lined up. Looking forward to seeing what the phones of early 2015 are going to be like.

Alchemist
  • Alchemist

• Zaibatsu
  • NATO
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]

Posted 28 August 2014 - 01:00 AM

I posted this in another topic already, but today I upgraded to the Galaxy S5 (in gold <3)

Totally worth it.

Piperka
  • Piperka

Big Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Australia

Posted 28 August 2014 - 04:39 AM

Water resistance is a feature I'm finding myself wanting more and more. I'm not a fan of Sony Ericsson devices but their latest water-resistant lines are looking pretty good. My Note 3 now has a messed up ear speaker thanks to some light rain. I don't really give a damn seeing as though I can't use it anyway, but I like to have every last thing in working order.

When my contract ends I'll be moving away from Samsung, that's for sure. The Note 3 is an amazing phone and I love it but I'm not a fan of their UI. The G3 is very appealing and I wish I had waited a few months for it, but by the time my contract runs out LG will have something else lined up. Looking forward to seeing what the phones of early 2015 are going to be like.

Yeah that's exactly why I didn't get an s5, their "touchwiz" is so laggy and ugly. The main reason I'd never buy another Samsung is Samsung Knox. The "security" app that runs at 30% cpu while the phone is asleep.

I was planning to wait for the next Google nexus but I don't think it'll be that much better than this G3 besides android 5.0 which I'm sure will come out for this phone too
  • GreatGig likes this

Alchemist
  • Alchemist

• Zaibatsu
  • NATO
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]

Posted 28 August 2014 - 04:53 AM

If you dislike Touchwiz UI, like me, the Google Now Launcher is a great alternative. It gives you a premium stock Android experience.

Piperka
  • Piperka

Big Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Australia

Posted 28 August 2014 - 08:23 AM

I've tried it, drains battery like crazy. I also had Cyanogen mod 10 which was so good but kept crashing!

GreatGig
  • GreatGig

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 28 August 2014 - 08:35 AM Edited by GreatGig, 28 August 2014 - 08:39 AM.

And its icons are bloody huge. I like the Google Now page on the left, but that's it. I use Go Launcher and have done for years. Excellent customisation options, leaves my battery alone, and looks pretty sweet.

Also, Knox is God awful. They need to let us uninstall it. I used it once to check it out and haven't touched it since, but my god it hogs the battery.

Also, Android. I'd recommend going into developer settings and turning off the animations. If it's anything like my Note, you'll notice it open apps quicker, open from lock screen quicker, and a few other things. Well worth doing.
  • Alchemist likes this

Furry_Monkey
  • Furry_Monkey

I completed Vice City and all I got was this lousy t-shirt

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:14 AM

The problem with installing another launcher in favour of Touchwiz is that Touchwiz isn't just a launcher - it's a framework, so you'll still have a ton of stuff running in the background.  You're actually making the problem worse.  The best way to move from Touchwiz to a non-Touchwiz experience is to install a custom ROM on it.  I'd recommend something as close to AOSP (pure Android) as possible so that you can then build it up into what you want it to be, rather than being boxed in by OEMs.

I had an S2 and really, really liked it, but Touchwiz was horrible.  It looked like it was made for 5 year olds and yes, the battery use was ridiculous.  As soon as I put something custom on it and installed Nova (my launcher of choice) it was like a new phone and I never looked back.

I've got a HTC One (M7) now.  I've had it for just over a year and it's by far the best out-of-the-box experience I've had with a phone.  I have had a ton of different ROMs on it, just to try them, and there are some great ones out there, but I recently had to send it back to HTC because of the very common purple camera tint issue, so I had to get everything back to stock before sending it or they may well have charged me for the repair.  When I got it back they'd updated everything on there and it's just lovely.

Other than this phone I don't think I've ever managed to live with what's on it out-of-the-box.  But thankfully there are great places like xda where you can turn your phone into something much better.

GreatGig
  • GreatGig

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:50 PM

I don't have a PC at the moment so rooting isn't really a route I can go down. I doubt I'll even do it when I get one. I tried rooting my Galaxy S a few years back and it ended up being such a god damn hassle. I got everything right, but somehow it f*cked up. I reverted it and the phone was fine. Tried again with the help of some guys on the XDA forums and it still didn't work.

If it's easier these days then great, but if it's the same "find this kernel" or something equally as annoying, then I'll leave it. Normally I love messing about with my tech, but rooting was just such a pain.

Alchemist
  • Alchemist

• Zaibatsu
  • NATO
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:59 PM

If the Google Now Launcher isn't the best, what can someone recommend me? I love the "stock" Android look. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users