Photo

Google Android

1,177 replies to this topic
Pico
  • Pico

cinnamon ropes

• Zaibatsu

Posted 11 August 2010 - 02:34 AM

I always find it hard to recommend apps. It's all personal preference... I find that a lot of my apps are utilities and stuff. If you can do live wallpapers (pretty sure you can) you should search for the Galaxy S ones in the market, they are pretty cool. The Super Mario one is really cool too although it's pretty tough on the CPU and I'm sure it hurts the battery a lot.

I use System Panel Lite for my task manager, Andexplorer for viewing/editing files on the SD card... Rockplayer is an awesome video player, plays AVIs perfectly. I use the Weather Channel app for my weather, Cashew is good for keeping track of your money although there may be better apps out there for that. I just found that one and stuck with it. Mixzing is my favorite music player app for sure. Oh, and if you use Facebook I've found Bloo to be the best.

Tornado Rex
  • Tornado Rex

*nix gets the chicks

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 11 August 2010 - 05:06 AM Edited by Tornado Rex, 11 August 2010 - 05:11 AM.

Personally I use the Mint.com app + the site for my money stuff. Works awesome. If you can find it an app simply called "3" is supposed to be a spectacular music player. It's not on the market though I don't think. I use the Weather Channel app for my weather also but I use a widget called TheWeather for my widget (I have TWC widget on another screen though for the alerts). And also a second vote for Bloo. Though until Bloo Too comes out I still use the official FB app for contact sync.

Edit: Just found 3.apk on my phone. Here's the link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3551773/3.apk

Pico
  • Pico

cinnamon ropes

• Zaibatsu

Posted 11 August 2010 - 05:11 AM

I just found ^3 in the market using a QR code I found online... it's actually using the special "cubed" character, not the standard 3 character. Checking it out now, I'll see how good it is.

lordjubblydave
  • lordjubblydave

Jubbly > RROD

• D1RTY12

Posted 11 August 2010 - 06:36 AM

So, i got my samsung galaxy s. All i got to say is, its a freaking awesome device. MASSIVE screen, super fast, good battery compared to my g1. the keyboard is a dream to use and it worked out of the box with ubuntu.

I have found a couple of new apps.

If you use dropbox there is a fantastic android app for it.
Also there is a cool app called bump which you use to share files with another phone with bump installed simply by bumping the phones together.

Would any of you guys recommend rooting my SGs? i cant really see any benefits at the moment, plus im scared to. froyo is on its way anyhoo

Tornado Rex
  • Tornado Rex

*nix gets the chicks

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 11 August 2010 - 08:11 AM Edited by Tornado Rex, 11 August 2010 - 08:27 AM.

QUOTE (Pico @ Aug 11 2010, 00:11)
I just found ^3 in the market using a QR code I found online... it's actually using the special "cubed" character, not the standard 3 character. Checking it out now, I'll see how good it is.

Indeed you are correct. Here's the QR code for it: user posted image

Edit: Missed dave's post. Yeah the Dropbox app is fan-f*cking-tastic. I hardly ever even plug my phone into my computer tbh. Just drop sh*t in DB and transfer it that way. So slick.

As for rooting, well that's really up to you. I wouldn't be scared of it. Sure there's a slight risk of bricking the phone, but most of the hacks now are pretty straight forward and the risks are reduced to very small. I don't think rooting it (to have it done) is a bad idea, but check out some of the bigger Android forums (androidforums.com, xda-developers) and see if there's anything being done to the rooted phones (leaked firmware, custom ROMs, etc) that you would want to do to yours. If so go ahead and root it, if not I wouldn't bother if it's working how you like.

lordjubblydave
  • lordjubblydave

Jubbly > RROD

• D1RTY12

Posted 11 August 2010 - 04:48 PM

If this is anywhere near as good as my phone, ipad is in trouble
http://www.techradar...eptember-709208

Tommy-Vercetti19
  • Tommy-Vercetti19

Sure, Grand, No Probs

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 August 2010 - 07:48 PM

Thanks guys, i'll be getting all those apps. smile.gif

Is there any apps, to track my phone if it gets lost or stolen? That's an app i'd really want. smile.gif

lordjubblydave
  • lordjubblydave

Jubbly > RROD

• D1RTY12

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:28 PM Edited by lordjubblydave, 11 August 2010 - 09:31 PM.

The cops? tounge.gif

i just realised that each version of android is in alphabetical order.
A-????
B-?????
C- cupcake
D-donut
E-eclair
F-frozen yoghurt
G-gingerbread
H-hashcake?

Geez im thick

Tommy-Vercetti19
  • Tommy-Vercetti19

Sure, Grand, No Probs

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 August 2010 - 10:03 PM

Jubby, my 5800 got nicked at before and cops here did jack sh*t about it. lol.gif
I'll take it into my own hands this time. tounge.gif

Android names make me hungry. sad.gif lol.gif

Pico
  • Pico

cinnamon ropes

• Zaibatsu

Posted 12 August 2010 - 03:30 AM

Lol, yep the Android names go in alphabetical order and are all dessert names. H hasn't really been speculated as far as I know, but G is confirmed to be Gingerbread.

Where's My Droid is an app that will help you find your phone, but I don't think it does anything with GPS. I think it can just turn itself on and blast a ringtone when you text it. Not sure though.
Theft Aware for Android is $15 but it has tons of features... not exactly sure how all the features work as I actually just read up on it briefly today.

lordjubblydave
  • lordjubblydave

Jubbly > RROD

• D1RTY12

Posted 12 August 2010 - 04:27 PM

Hey guys check this link out.
Some cool tricks

50 android tips

lordjubblydave
  • lordjubblydave

Jubbly > RROD

• D1RTY12

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:14 PM

Sorry for double bubble.

I Have just flashed FroYo to my Galaxy S.

So far it is looking pretty cool, pretty smooth and a lot prettier

user posted image

Image was made using FroYo's built in Screen grab utility icon14.gif

jelly
  • jelly

Posted 01 September 2010 - 10:16 AM

http://www.engadget....-dust-and-scra/

panic.gif

Might have to just skip the Desire HD.. Obviously it's not designed to compete with the cutting edge devices, but the screen is reasonably big, the processor is reasonably fast.. I wonder what it is like. If it's 'fast enough' I'm getting one - screw the fastest devices. I want one I can toss around. orly.gif

Democrab
  • Democrab

Tornado of Souls

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 02 September 2010 - 08:55 AM

Eugh, Motorola...WAY too locked down, even my basic V3xx can't charge without a proper driver on my computer, despite being MiniUSB2.0.

Tornado Rex
  • Tornado Rex

*nix gets the chicks

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 02 September 2010 - 04:04 PM

QUOTE (Joe. @ Sep 2 2010, 03:55)
Eugh, Motorola...WAY too locked down, even my basic V3xx can't charge without a proper driver on my computer, despite being MiniUSB2.0.

Wha? My Droid lets me do whatever. Hell all the Droid phones (1, X, 2) have been rooted faster than pretty much any other phone I've seen. I don't get why everyone hates on Motorola, my Droid has been awesome.

kudoboi
  • kudoboi

HI

• Members

Posted 08 September 2010 - 05:12 AM

im using a motorola milestone xt720 ( motoroi) xd.
can't wait for samsung galaxy tab and motorola milestone 2. they both has been announced and even have a trailer already.

milestone 2 :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUaIHEPltAc

galaxy tab:

they are all using android operating system.

lordjubblydave
  • lordjubblydave

Jubbly > RROD

• D1RTY12

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:28 AM

The galaxy tab looks kinda cool to me.

Apparently it is going to get a before christmas release too (uk).

There are loads of android based tablets on the way.

beavis
  • beavis

Lone Wolf

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 08 September 2010 - 06:49 PM

So for the longest time I've been wanting a droid phone, but most of these data plans are so out whack. Sprint, T-Mobile, and Boost Mobile seem to have the best data plans from what I can gather. Anyone have experience with these carriers?

jelly
  • jelly

Posted 08 September 2010 - 08:39 PM

QUOTE (Joe. @ Sep 2 2010, 09:55)

Don't get me wrong dude. If HTC made an IP67 certed Android phone with proper specs I'd be on it like a retard on a drum kit. But all indicates they won't be making such a device whereas Motorola has one coming out later this year, so Motorola it is.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 11 September 2010 - 06:11 PM

QUOTE (beavis @ Sep 8 2010, 18:49)
So for the longest time I've been wanting a droid phone, but most of these data plans are so out whack. Sprint, T-Mobile, and Boost Mobile seem to have the best data plans from what I can gather. Anyone have experience with these carriers?

Yes. T-Mobile. I pay 20 a month for unlimited data. They also made some infrastructure changes and now their 3G network is way faster in my area.

I have had the same plan since I bought my first gen G1 phone. Looking forward to getting the G2.

Kimd41
  • Kimd41

SRS

• Members

Posted 11 September 2010 - 06:48 PM

I've got a Nexus One and damn, it's so damn awesome. The screen is mind blowing (coming from a 320x240 screen). I'm totally loving it.

kudoboi
  • kudoboi

HI

• Members

Posted 13 September 2010 - 10:47 AM

QUOTE (Kimd41 @ Sep 11 2010, 18:48)
I've got a Nexus One and damn, it's so damn awesome. The screen is mind blowing (coming from a 320x240 screen). I'm totally loving it.

is nexus one htc? cuz i never seen it in my country before.

Pico
  • Pico

cinnamon ropes

• Zaibatsu

Posted 13 September 2010 - 11:45 PM

@kudoboi, the Nexus One is a phone branded by Google but manufactured by HTC. Google basically had HTC make it for them and Google sold it themselves. It was offered in the US for T-Mobile only, with plans to go to other carriers that never went through. Google has officially sold every last one of them, as developers love the phone due to is ease in creating new software on.

Data plans do add on a bit of cost, but seriously, if you have an Android phone you'll put it to use. Hell, on my G1 I was using about 500MB of data in a month. Now that I've got my Droid X I use over 1GB of data a month. The increase with the DX is undoubtedly due to it just being faster over all making browsing/video streaming much more enjoyable. That and Flash support for videos embedded in websites biggrin.gif

As for costs... people complain about them all the time, which is understandable. Excuse my plug, but seeing as I work for Verizon Wireless I'm quite knowledgeable on the subject. As of now our 3G speeds are in general the fastest speeds. While some areas on AT&T have very quick speeds, well beyond ours, our coverage is strong and solid so that we hit our high speeds pretty much every where we display full 3G signal strength, which is a LOT more than any other competitor. I average between 1.5-1.7mbps, and that's .1 to .3mbps over what we claim we can offer. With a Nationwide Talk and Text plan for $59.99 you get 450 anytime minutes, nights and weekends, unlimited m2m on VZW and unlimited texting, then you throw on a $29.99 data plan. $90 a month pre-tax may seem like a lot, but I'd gladly pay that than for the speeds I had with T-Mobile. I averaged 600kbps and hit 800kbps when I was lucky, and in a full coverage area. I also payed $88/mo (post-tax) on their cheapest minute and text/data plan.
Just wait for our 4G to come out. It's going to blow everything else out of the water, assuming everything I've been told is true.

Just so you guys know, VZW is now offering our smartphone line-up (yes, including the Droids) on pre-pay. So that's $30 a month for data. Throw on unlimited texting and it runs you another $20, so $50 total at 25 cents a minute. If you don't talk at all, or very, very little this is the way to go for sure, and you stay out of a contract.

d00d
  • d00d

Common sense with a baseball bat

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 15 September 2010 - 10:45 AM

QUOTE (kudoboi @ Sep 13 2010, 10:47)
QUOTE (Kimd41 @ Sep 11 2010, 18:48)

is nexus one htc? cuz i never seen it in my country before.

If you want a better idea, the Nexus One is a Google-branded HTC Desire with a trackball instead of an optical sensor.

I have a Dell Streak myself. Thing of sheer beauty...BUT I WANT MY FROYO.

jelly
  • jelly

Posted 15 September 2010 - 02:19 PM

HTC Desire? Fo' realz? icon13.gif

http://www.engadget....first-hands-on/

Please. icon14.gif

I don't think I'll be getting the Desire Z, maybe if it had the same specs as that one with an added keyboard, but not as it stands now.

lordjubblydave
  • lordjubblydave

Jubbly > RROD

• D1RTY12

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:37 PM

Im def gonna trade my Galaxy S for the Desire hd.
That thing looks the sh*t.

Pico
  • Pico

cinnamon ropes

• Zaibatsu

Posted 17 September 2010 - 06:01 AM

QUOTE (jelly @ Sep 15 2010, 08:19)
HTC Desire? Fo' realz? icon13.gif

http://www.engadget....first-hands-on/

Please. icon14.gif

I don't think I'll be getting the Desire Z, maybe if it had the same specs as that one with an added keyboard, but not as it stands now.

HTC is rumored to be making a 4" touch screen with a slide-out 4-row QWERTY reminiscent of the G1's. Supposedly with a 1.5Ghz processor... the picture of it had Verizon branding on it and people are claiming it'll be VZWs first global phone... so with GSM capabilities I don't see why it won't definitely be marketed in Euroland. Just a heads up, jelly wink.gif

lordjubbly, I'd say that's a bad idea. Although it has a larger screen the 1Ghz Snapdragon and it's graphics are well below the Galaxy S's in terms of performance. At work yesterday I ran a co-workers Fascinate (VZW's Galaxy S phone) in quadrant and it had a score of something like 1600. My Droid X with 2.2 only hits like 1400, and the Fascinate is running on 2.1. The Nexus One gets about a 1350 with 2.2. The EVO 4G only gets about 1300, .... and that's with Android 2.2.

jelly
  • jelly

Posted 17 September 2010 - 08:39 AM

Oh for crying out loud, there's always something new leaking out to the press isn't there? sad.gif

lordjubblydave
  • lordjubblydave

Jubbly > RROD

• D1RTY12

Posted 17 September 2010 - 03:41 PM

QUOTE (Pico @ Sep 17 2010, 06:01)

In terms of performance. At work yesterday I ran a co-workers Fascinate (VZW's Galaxy S phone) in quadrant and it had a score of something like 1600. My Droid X with 2.2 only hits like 1400, and the Fascinate is running on 2.1. The Nexus One gets about a 1350 with 2.2. The EVO 4G only gets about 1300, .... and that's with Android 2.2.

He must have applied the lagfix.
My galaxy hits 900 without the lagfix and over 2000 with the lag fix.
The stock software f*cking sucks. Constant lock ups. Lag like you would not believe.
There is also really bad community support for it.
No real custom roms yet.
If this does not change by the time the new desires come out i will be trading it

Pico
  • Pico

cinnamon ropes

• Zaibatsu

Posted 18 September 2010 - 08:44 AM

Not sure what that lag fix is about... but pretty sure it was just how he got it. Possibly something Verizon had Samsung do for out model of the Galaxy S phone. In fact, when I spoke with the Samsung rep at work he stated our Galaxy S phone is completely customized unlike the Captivate and Vibrant which are basically just in different cases. Same processor and overall electronic guts, but set up a bit differently, and the software, while TouchWiz 3.0 Android 2.1, is somewhat modified from the rest as well.

Also, I'm dumb. The Desire HD has the next gen Snapdragon which is said to be very nice, and the Desire HD will have something like 758MB of RAM. Nice!

Jelly, you are aware that the Desire Z is basically the HD with a 3.7" screen and the same internal hardware as the HD, yeah? It's funny... looks like the HD and the Z are following a similar pattern as the Droid X and Droid 2 (4.3 and 3.7" counterparts, both smaller ones including a full QWERTY while retaining the same processor and RAM).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users