sivispacem
  • sivispacem

I shall revoke the throne, atop the stellar tree

• European-Union
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 22 December 2013 - 04:24 PM

Wait for the 4.4.2 firmware, that's much better on the battery for my Nexus 5.

Just bought the missus a Moto G to replace her ancient BlackBerry.

Anastasis
  • Anastasis

First blood

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:32 PM

I need help, I can't flash my old rom back(which performs better than the one I use now) which runs 4.2.2. It always says failed to flash zip. I'm using an ancient Galaxy S running Mackay ROM Android 4.4.0. Thanks.

Alchemist
  • Alchemist

Powered by EgoBoost

• Facade Corporation
  • United-Nations
  • The Congressional Medal of sh*tposting
    Most Talented Graphics Artist 2015
    Most Improved Member 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Best Poster [Technology] 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:12 AM

If you have an LG G2, and you run on the T-Mobile carrier, Android 4.4 is coming soon via OTA! You may download it now from the LG PC Utility.

Here's the article! http://www.droid-lif...-lg-g2-tmobile/

Also, Samsung has confirmed what devices will get the 4.4 update. 

Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Samsung Galaxy S4
Samsung Galaxy S4 Active
Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini
Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom
Samsung Galaxy Note II
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014 Edition)
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0
Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0
Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7.0
Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1
Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3
Samsung Galaxy Mega 5.8
Samsung Galaxy Grand
Samsung Galaxy Express 2

(http://www.gsmarena....t-news-7879.php)

Be on the look out if you have a device that's on the list :)

Crokey
  • Crokey

Builders Like Erections

• Zaibatsu
  • Belize
  • Best Official Gang 2016 [Zaibatsu]
    Best Poster [Sports] 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2016
    Worst Tits 2016
    Worst Tits 2015
    Best Poster [Sports] 2015
    Best Poster [Sports] 2014
    Worst Tits 2014
    Last ever poster in a public area on the old forum
    Best Llama 2016

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:48 PM

bumpasaurus.jpg

Anybody had any experience with rooting their phones and if they have do you have any pro tips for doing so, like things to avoid and things that have to be done.  Also I've done a quick check around about unrooting phones just in case I cock it up, and it seems quite straight forward, but what I'm after is some pros and cons and reasons for and against doing so.

My reason for asking is that my phone is running a little sluggish and there are a lot of answers on various forums about it and they mainly say root the phone so you can get rid of the Samsung Bloatware, which is the stuff the phone came with and I never use at all and just sit there hogging resources.  So this would be a good solution but as I say I'm not sure on the whole rooting thing, so any ideas welcome.

uNi
  • uNi

Feroci

• Administrator
  • Scotland
  • Best Official Gang 2014 [Feroci]

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:31 AM

Look around for your model, there's almost a tutorial for each model. Make sure you have all the correct software you'll need, backup backup and go for it. 

As for the rest, do a lot of research on what firmware you should use. Which one is the best for your device, and if it still have dev support, in case you a custom ROM. 

• Crokey likes this

 dice
  •  dice

Always rolling

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Best Server SAMP 2009

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:48 AM Edited by dice, 18 April 2014 - 09:50 AM.

XDA is the best resource for fiddling with your droid. Rooting generaly isn't that dangerous, but you should still be careful if you don't have past experience. Depending on your phone model there are a lot of tools which can ease the process.
  • Crokey and pogo_01 like this

Crokey
  • Crokey

Builders Like Erections

• Zaibatsu
  • Belize
  • Best Official Gang 2016 [Zaibatsu]
    Best Poster [Sports] 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2016
    Worst Tits 2016
    Worst Tits 2015
    Best Poster [Sports] 2015
    Best Poster [Sports] 2014
    Worst Tits 2014
    Last ever poster in a public area on the old forum
    Best Llama 2016

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:27 PM

Thanks guys, I've had a quick gander at that XDA site, I'll have a proper look later and see what it is suggested there. :)

GTA3Rockstar
  • GTA3Rockstar

--------------------

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Lifetime Achievement Award
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:09 PM

I recently purchased an Asus Transformer tf701t and got the 4.3 update but has anyone heard if they're going to launch 4.4 for it? Can't really find any news on it and don't wanna jailbreak it just yet.

Alchemist
  • Alchemist

Powered by EgoBoost

• Facade Corporation
  • United-Nations
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]

Posted 19 April 2014 - 02:43 AM

I would wait. It has the specs to handle it, it's not like it's one of those budget tablet PC's.

Keep on the look out for news about it though.

one55
  • one55

Nigguh!

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 26 April 2014 - 08:39 AM

I have a Moto G (16GB) running 4.4.2

For £130 it's an amazing phone. I returned my iPhone 5S for it! 

Bought a Nexus 5 recently. It's an amazing phone but I returned it because there was bad light bleeding and some dead pixels. Can't be assed returning it, waiting for refund then buying it again. Just gonna stick with my Moto G.

Waiting to see what the Nexus 6 is like later this year. I've been on iPhone pretty much since iOS 2.0 on the 3G. I did have a HTC (cant mind what model) that was running 2.2 a few years ago or so but I really didn't like it. Android has come so far and I really enjoy it much more than iOS. Apple just don't seem to want to change their OS much. I got tired of it hence why I returned my 5S.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• European-Union

Posted 26 April 2014 - 09:27 AM

As an everyday multi-role phone, there's nothing in the world as good as the Moto G. That price, with that performance? Epic.
My Nexus 5 continues to be absolutely faultless.

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Never Settle

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:15 AM

Who else is excited about this phone: http://oneplus.net/one#features

I wonder when it will be available in Europe.

Sentrion
  • Sentrion

• BUSTED!
  • European-Union

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:19 AM

Who else is excited about this phone: http://oneplus.net/one#features

I wonder when it will be available in Europe.

That seems like a decent phone. Snapdragon's a really decent processor, quite in demand. I'd like to buy a new HTC soon. I'm still on 4.2. 4.4.2 seems to be doing great so far.

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Never Settle

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:25 AM

It's really cheap (64 GB version is $350) for what it has. It's also in my price range for what I would pay to get a phone.

• Alchemist likes this

TheMcSame
  • TheMcSame

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 04 May 2014 - 02:51 PM

It's really cheap (64 GB version is $350) for what it has. It's also in my price range for what I would pay to get a phone.

I heard about that a while ago... as much as I'm confident about it, I'm also weary of it... $350 of flagship specs. I just want to know where they have saved money other than the plastics on the outside.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• European-Union

Posted 04 May 2014 - 08:10 PM

It's certainly doable- I mean the Nexus 5 was flagship spec (still is really) and cost about that, and that's pretty high quality I'd say.
  • ΣΓ likes this

Kevin...
  • Kevin...

Bringer of Dramageddon

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 27 June 2014 - 12:44 AM

Month+ bump...woot

Haven't stopped in here for a year maybe. Anywho, I bought a Nexus 5 back in march and it has been awesome (I may have posted something about it, but I doubt it). Google announced at I/O that they were releasing "Android L" as a dev preview on today. I have it installed. I must say, it is cool looking an smooth running. Here be some photos:
http://imgur.com/tmGbNc1
http://imgur.com/q27zrGM
http://imgur.com/VUWgFmr

If you got any questions about Android L I can try to answer them...or you can let the topic fade away again lol
  • Alchemist likes this

Alchemist
  • Alchemist

Powered by EgoBoost

• Facade Corporation
  • United-Nations
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]

Posted 29 June 2014 - 06:28 AM

Looks really great. I hope it comes to the LG G2 (D801)

I wish I had a Nexus 5 or 7 so I could check out the dev release. Question - How does it effect the battery life? Would you say it has improved, stayed the same, or declined? (I doubt it has declined)

one55
  • one55

Nigguh!

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:34 PM

I currently have a Moto G (4.4.2). I love Android. I like how the Moto G is almost completely stock android. It comes with a few Motorola Apps and has some visual changes. 

I bought a Nexus 5 a couple months back and I really liked it. However it had some dead pixels and a bit of backlight bleeding. I reluctantly returned it for a refund (wasn't offered a replacement). 

Now, I find myself trying to decide if I should buy the Nexus 5 again. Amazon don't have any in stock at the moment. I was thinking about just ordering straight from Google but I've never used the Play Store to purchase a phone before. I'm just worried in case I receive a device that has something wrong with it. Anyone in the UK bought a Nexus 5 from the Play Store?

I badly want a Nexus 5 + Android L which I think looks even better than the current OS. 

TheMcSame
  • TheMcSame

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 29 June 2014 - 03:01 PM

I currently have a Moto G (4.4.2). I love Android. I like how the Moto G is almost completely stock android. It comes with a few Motorola Apps and has some visual changes. 

I bought a Nexus 5 a couple months back and I really liked it. However it had some dead pixels and a bit of backlight bleeding. I reluctantly returned it for a refund (wasn't offered a replacement). 

Now, I find myself trying to decide if I should buy the Nexus 5 again. Amazon don't have any in stock at the moment. I was thinking about just ordering straight from Google but I've never used the Play Store to purchase a phone before. I'm just worried in case I receive a device that has something wrong with it. Anyone in the UK bought a Nexus 5 from the Play Store?

I badly want a Nexus 5 + Android L which I think looks even better than the current OS. 

The OS, which as far as I'm aware isn't even complete yet, isn't enough to justify buying that phone. Sure it's an okay phone but £300... no, not a chance. I'll wait for the OnePlus One to become easily available.

£269 64GB flashship specs > £300 32GB pretty decent specs and a silly little OS preview.

gizmo
  • gizmo

aka JuVeNiLe

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 29 June 2014 - 10:01 PM

The Moto G will get Android L, I'm pretty sure about that. I have a Nexus 4 and someone I know who has the Moto G got the Android 4.4.3 update before I did, which I found odd.

Plus the Moto G is fairly new and should still receive updates. Motorola is pretty good about that. I don't think you have anything to worry about. 

one55
  • one55

Nigguh!

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 30 June 2014 - 09:03 AM

The OS, which as far as I'm aware isn't even complete yet, isn't enough to justify buying that phone. Sure it's an okay phone but £300... no, not a chance. I'll wait for the OnePlus One to become easily available.

£269 64GB flashship specs > £300 32GB pretty decent specs and a silly little OS preview.

i don't want a nexus 5 just to use L. i want a nexus 5 because i like the phone. i dont have a problem with kitkat but it would nice to try out L. of course i can just wait until it officially releases to try it and ill be happy with kitkat until then.

TheMcSame
  • TheMcSame

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:23 AM

i don't want a nexus 5 just to use L. i want a nexus 5 because i like the phone. i dont have a problem with kitkat but it would nice to try out L. of course i can just wait until it officially releases to try it and ill be happy with kitkat until then.

I still think the Nexus 5, well any phone that isn't the OPO tbh, is a waste of money because the OPO offers flagship specs at a low price. Not to mention it has Cyanogenmod as an OS out of the box so you have some, but not all, features that allow you to customize your phone in ways which would usually require root privileges.

one55
  • one55

Nigguh!

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 30 June 2014 - 11:30 AM

I still think the Nexus 5, well any phone that isn't the OPO tbh, is a waste of money because the OPO offers flagship specs at a low price. Not to mention it has Cyanogenmod as an OS out of the box so you have some, but not all, features that allow you to customize your phone in ways which would usually require root privileges.

Not interested in it. 

gizmo
  • gizmo

aka JuVeNiLe

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:15 AM

OnePlusOne is an awesome phone, by the time it gets released it will be overpriced and not a phone with flagship specs.

Kevin...
  • Kevin...

Bringer of Dramageddon

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:15 PM

I worry about after sale support with the one+. It is a great phone, but if it sh*ts the bed who do I call? China? I will stick with the similarly speced and priced rivals...like my nexus 5.

On the topic of Google L - The battery life is alright. Not amazing. I was getting 24-36 hours of normal use from my N5 running various 4.4.4 Roms. I am down a bit but it is mostly due to higher consumption than normal when running YouTube or chrome. I actually switched back and ran 4.4.4 for a few days because my Smartglass remote app doesn't want to run on L and I lost my Xbox One's media remote.

TheMcSame
  • TheMcSame

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 July 2014 - 05:09 PM

I worry about after sale support with the one+. It is a great phone, but if it sh*ts the bed who do I call? China? I will stick with the similarly speced and priced rivals...like my nexus 5.

On the topic of Google L - The battery life is alright. Not amazing. I was getting 24-36 hours of normal use from my N5 running various 4.4.4 Roms. I am down a bit but it is mostly due to higher consumption than normal when running YouTube or chrome. I actually switched back and ran 4.4.4 for a few days because my Smartglass remote app doesn't want to run on L and I lost my Xbox One's media remote.

Considering it's Oppo built I doubt it will "sh*t the bed".

BlackScout
  • BlackScout

Senpai Above

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:44 PM

Guys, there's a team porting CM11 *KitKat* into Galaxy Y (This phone has the max version Gingerbread 2.3.6), thanks to Broadcom that have released drivers for the phone...

So today they've released a Nightly and now headphone works...
I don't know if I'm crazy, but the sound quality seems better... *I'm using good earphones and 320kbps mp3's*
So.. there's any difference in Audio Quality between 2.3.6 Gingerbread and 4.4.4 KitKat ??

Sir Michael
  • Sir Michael

._.

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:36 PM

The Moto G will get Android L, I'm pretty sure about that. I have a Nexus 4 and someone I know who has the Moto G got the Android 4.4.3 update before I did, which I found odd.

Plus the Moto G is fairly new and should still receive updates. Motorola is pretty good about that. I don't think you have anything to worry about. 

I hope Motorola keeps that updating standard up when they're officially under Lenovo.

I just recently got a Moto X for AT&T and we're still on 4.4.2 along with Verizon, but the T-Mobile, the Developer Edition, and Sprint versions all have 4.4.3. The recent update did a software patch on the front camera to get rid of the horizontal streaks... I want it!!

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Never Settle

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:15 PM

Can you install the games that you buy on Google Play on multiple devices? I recently bought an Android phone and my mom bought me a tablet also and I'm wondering if I can install and play the games on both devices (perhaps not at the same time).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users