Photo

Google Android

1,188 replies to this topic
kudoboi
  • kudoboi

HI

• Members

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:50 PM

tried the htc one. touch screen felt too sensitive imo. i kept accidentally launching apps while browsing the app drawer. it could just be the screen is sticky or new but thats my experience with the phone.

im looking forward to the sony xperia tablet Z launch here. goddamn Sony Singapore still doesn't want to say a thing about when that tablet will be launching here. can't find the tablet on ebay or amazon either other than people who have bad rep or are newly joined. the only person on amazon who sells the 3G/4G version only have a 67% positive and is overpriced.
http://www.amazon.co...8&condition=all

Kaj.
  • Kaj.

Shift Happens.

• The Connection

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:06 PM

Got my HTC One today. Goddamn it's a smooth, beauty of a phone.

kudoboi
  • kudoboi

HI

• Members

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:02 PM Edited by kudoboi, 20 April 2013 - 12:37 PM.

does it still have the ugly black options bar at the bottom like the one X?

im talking about this

user posted image

edit: looks like it still have it. that could be a deal breaker for me

Kaj.
  • Kaj.

Shift Happens.

• The Connection

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:14 PM Edited by Kajun, 21 April 2013 - 09:26 PM.

A few apps do have the bar, but it's really not much of a bother especially considering how good the rest of the device is.

EDIT: Took a few photos of the One.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

lordjubblydave
  • lordjubblydave

Jubbly > RROD

• D1RTY12

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:47 AM

You can install a custom rom such as Android Revolution.

This has the option of removing the black bar and remapping the back button to activate the settings menu.
Now when I long press the back button my contextual settings menu pops up.

Stunning phone, had mine since launch day, absolutely love it.
For me the camera can be a bit hit and miss, but I do a lot of food photography under halogen heat lamps.
For everyday stuff it's great, better than my One X

kudoboi
  • kudoboi

HI

• Members

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:58 AM Edited by Girish, 27 April 2013 - 12:29 PM.

ill probably get the htc one. there is some issues with the first batch though. Apparently with the first batch the screen only supports 2 touch points instead of 10. there is also a unresponsive back/home key. i noticed that when playing around with the phone at the phone shop too. the back key half of the time fails to register. there is also stucked pixels on the screen if you use the camera in the dark. ( thread here http://forum.xda-dev....php?t=2226220). the biggest issue is that the first batch also have a gap on the phone. like these

user posted image
user posted image

it might not seem like a big deal but then i saw this

https://dl.dropboxus...2...0 52 12.jpg

Pico
  • Pico

cinnamon ropes

• Zaibatsu

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:29 PM

QUOTE (Ryan @ Saturday, Apr 13 2013, 09:22)
What on earth would you need 5GB of data for? Is there no WiFi around to take advantage of?

With 4G speeds, wifi is pointless. I've got unlimited, so using Wifi would be just a waste of wifi. Even without unlimited, I'd be stifled with just 5GB of data.
I go through about 25-30GB a month. Lots of video streaming followed by web browsing, downloads, and music. I'd blow through 5GB in a week even if connecting to wifi when it's around.

edit: Holy crap, I'd sh*t a brick if that happened to my nice, new phone. The DNA from HTC has superb build quality, miles above the G1 and Thunderbolt I've had in the past. I wonder what caused all the problems with the first batch of Ones.

Blackadder.
  • Blackadder.

Luck. Runs. Out.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:53 AM

I saw a HTC One in a phone store and gave it a quick whirl. It didn't impress mke that much from picture but in person it is a very nice device. it looks and feels amazing, and is very snappy flicking through menus.

I was content with getting a Nexus 4 after Google I/O but now I'm not so sure... damn you and your amazing phone HTC! tounge.gif

kudoboi
  • kudoboi

HI

• Members

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:33 PM

couldn't make the decision to buy either htc one or S4 so i bought both. still prefer htc one out of both though. as a avid music listener the dual stereo speakers for htc one is really really handy. but the S4 screen imo is better than the htc one. having a hard time trying to get the eye scroll thing to work D:

Bob_Dole
  • Bob_Dole

CEO of CargoDole Heavy Transport Services, LLC

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:49 AM

I'm having an issue updating to 4.1.2. I'm currently using the Galaxy S3 on Sprint. I rooted the phone in order to get superuser permission for certain apps. I constantly get a notification that an update is available, however when I try to update it I get a message in recovery mode that says "process was aborted" or something along those lines. I suspect that the root is blocking the update process. I tried using the OTA RootKeeper app but that didn't work. I also tried doing a temp unroot through the Superuser panel also with no success. Has anyone else encountered a problem like this before? I'd appreciate any help that anyone could offer.

Thanks cool.gif

Crokey
  • Crokey

Builders Like Erections

• Zaibatsu
  • Belize

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:31 PM

I wonder if any of you Android geeks can help a mucker out. I keep getting the following pop-up letting me know there is Wi-Fi networks in range, however I don't want the pop-ups, I don't care for them, if I want a Wi-Fi connection I'll search for one... sorry that was a rant at the phone which is pretty much what I do most of the time when the bleeding thing pops up whilst I'm playing a game and I lose all my progress.

Here is the pop up

user posted image

Now I've tried searching for a solution to this, and all the answers I keep getting don't match up, the most common answer is that it is something that is network locked and usually to Verizon, which is no use as my phone is in the UK (so no Verizon) and was bought as a SIM-Free, so isn't locked to a network. Most of them say make sure the following check box for Network Notification is unticked which it is, yet I still get the pop-ups, then some say that this is 'fixed' in Android version 2.3, however I've got version 2.3.6.

user posted image

Extra Info:
Model Samsung Galaxy Ace 2, GT-I8160
Android Version: 2.3.6
Build number GINGERBREAD.XXLK7

If you need more info let me know.

Blackadder.
  • Blackadder.

Luck. Runs. Out.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:37 PM

Have you tried flat out disabling Wi-Fi? If Wi-Fi isn't on it shouldn't be able to detect any networks ergo the pop-up shouldn't appear.

RED_
  • RED_

Homie

• Members

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:02 PM

Have you tried the basics like rebooting the phone and all that? During a proper reboot. As in turning it off and then waiting and turning it on. Not just the reboot button.

Are you sure another app is not interfering? Android should definitely not be doing that on it's own. My best guess is that you have another app this is conflicting. Once you are connected to a network it shouldn't give you updates.

Whiskey
  • Whiskey

Homie

• The Connection

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:55 PM

Lost my Galaxy S2 out in town last night. Devastated, but it's time to go shopping for a new phone. Was thinking about going to bill-pay as I have a permanent job now. Any suggestions?

Raavi
  • Raavi

Allergic to bullsh*t

• Vatican-City
  • Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:15 PM

I still can't to connect to wifi (Galaxy Note 2)..

Shoumic
  • Shoumic

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Best Signature 2013
    Best Signature 2012

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:16 PM

QUOTE (Whiskey @ Wednesday, May 22 2013, 20:55)
Lost my Galaxy S2 out in town last night. Devastated, but it's time to go shopping for a new phone. Was thinking about going to bill-pay as I have a permanent job now. Any suggestions?

What's your budget? If you don't have one then I'd go for the HTC one or the Samsung Galaxy S4. If I had to pick between the two the HTC One would be my pick.

Whiskey
  • Whiskey

Homie

• The Connection

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:28 PM

QUOTE (shoumic @ Wednesday, May 22 2013, 18:16)

What's your budget? If you don't have one then I'd go for the HTC one or the Samsung Galaxy S4. If I had to pick between the two the HTC One would be my pick.

Yeah, I've been eying that one in the shops recently. Has a 25 euro contract too so that's great. Does anyone here know anything about it's battery life? The GS2 was really bad. Before I lost it last night it was only on 10% so I had to keep turning it on and off.

Crokey
  • Crokey

Builders Like Erections

• Zaibatsu
  • Belize

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:57 PM

QUOTE (Blackadder. @ Monday, May 6 2013, 18:37)
Have you tried flat out disabling Wi-Fi? If Wi-Fi isn't on it shouldn't be able to detect any networks ergo the pop-up shouldn't appear.

Wuup, late reply here, forgot all about it, plus I didn't get a subscription reply dontgetit.gif

Anywho, I could disable the Wi-Fi but I always forget to turn it back on and then wonder why I'm not getting emails or updates for stuff. But this pop-up issue mostly happens when I'm out traveling on the bus usually to and from work, as it picks up random networks on the way, but I don't want these random networks popping up on the screen telling me they are there, I would rather manually scan for networks if I need them.

I think my main gripe with it is that all the info I can find say that this shouldn't be happening, so I don't know if it is an app or program which is causing this to always pop up as if it's an attention starved brat who wants to be on the internet. If so would this be a process of elimination or is there anything which can sort of scan for these things/

kudoboi
  • kudoboi

HI

• Members

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:31 AM Edited by kudoboi, 25 May 2013 - 06:12 AM.

QUOTE (Whiskey @ Wednesday, May 22 2013, 18:28)
QUOTE (shoumic @ Wednesday, May 22 2013, 18:16)

Yeah, I've been eying that one in the shops recently. Has a 25 euro contract too so that's great. Does anyone here know anything about it's battery life? The GS2 was really bad. Before I lost it last night it was only on 10% so I had to keep turning it on and off.

i use the htc one at heavy usage and the battery runs out after 7 to 9 hours. thats with constant streaming via spotify, watching videos on youtube, using fb/twitter/insta and playing games.

Edit: here's a pic of the most recent. I was watching person of interest on my phone for 3hrs
user posted image
user posted image

Whiskey
  • Whiskey

Homie

• The Connection

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:41 PM Edited by Whiskey, 24 May 2013 - 10:29 PM.

They're great stats considering you watched 3hrs of video, I never watch video just the odd youtube video. Got the phone today and It's awesome, it was hilarious f*cking with the TV's in the bar with the IR blaster. Let the battery drain to 10% almost done it's first charge, I was astonished by the speakers, simply unbelievable!

Mockage
  • Mockage

First Breath After Coma

• The Connection
  • NATO

Posted 25 May 2013 - 02:36 AM

Does anybody here have a problem with the YouTube app? I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S3 and often when I'm on YouTube I always get this error stating something along the lines of "Cannot connect to the network, retry". I know it's not an internet problem because I get the problem both in and outside of the house, especially at school (I use the WiFi there, not 4G). Can somebody even try possibly explaining the cause of this problem? It's really annoying.

kudoboi
  • kudoboi

HI

• Members

Posted 25 May 2013 - 03:57 PM

my htc one lasted for 12 hours today. i streamed spotify on wifi from 7PM to 12AM

Whiskey
  • Whiskey

Homie

• The Connection

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:21 PM

QUOTE (kudoboi @ Saturday, May 25 2013, 15:57)
my htc one lasted for 12 hours today. i streamed spotify on wifi from 7PM to 12AM

That's awesome. Took the phone off charge at 11PM last night. Right now it's on, listened to an hour or two of music last night, then an hour this morning. As of now it's on 34%, that's 17 hours. That is f*cking insane, plus that was just after my first charge. My GS2 would only last 5-7 if I was lucky.

kudoboi
  • kudoboi

HI

• Members

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:31 AM Edited by kudoboi, 03 June 2013 - 10:44 AM.

a bunch of new tablets just got announced. Asus transformer Pad infinity(2), Asus Transformer Book Trio, Asus MeMo Pad HD 7, Asus FonePad Note, Asus MeMo Pad FHD 10, MSI Primo 81 and 93 and the disappointing spec'd Galaxy Tab 3 (8 and 10.1 inch)

imo Asus transformer Book trio and the new transformer pad infinity 2 is the best of the what was announced.

Specs:

Galaxy tab 3 (8 and 10.1 inch)

The 8-inch model has a TFT display sporting a 1,280 x 800 (WXGA) resolution (189 ppi), a 5-megapixel rear camera and 1.3-megapixel front-facing shooter. It's got vaguely respectable internals: a 1.5GHz dual-core processor (no word on the manufacturer), 1.5GB of RAM and 16 or 32GB storage configurations. A microSD slot is present, supporting up to 64GB cards, and a 4,450mAh battery provides the necessary juice. Android 4.2 is OS of choice -- no surprise there -- and when it arrives, you'll have the choice of WiFi-only (dual-band, a/b/g/n), 3G (HSPA+) and LTE variants.

The 10.1-inch version stretches that same WXGA resolution across its display (149 ppi), and carries a smaller 3-megapixel rear camera and the same 1.3-megapixel front-facer. According to Reuters, the 1.6GHz dual-core CPU in this larger slate is provided by Intel, confirming a previous rumor. Unfortunately, it's saddled with only one gig of RAM, and the storage options are the same as the 8-inch model, with a microSD slot also supporting up to 64GB cards. Also running Android 4.2, the 10.1-inch Tab 3 packs a 6,800mAh battery, and comes in WiFi-only, 3G and LTE variants. Both tablets will be available worldwide at the "beginning of June."

Asus FonePad Note

The Asus Fonepad Note is equipped with a 6-inch Full HD Super IPS+ display, a dual-core Intel Atom Z2560 processor (Intel just scored another high profile design win it seems), 2GB of RAM, an 8MP rear camera, and a 1.2MP front shooter.

Asus Transformer Book Trio

The Windows part is handled by a fourth-generation Intel Core-i7 4500U processor clocked at unspecified frequencies and the Android Jelly Bean segment is powered by a power-optimized Intel Atom Z2580 chip running at 2 GHz. The package also includes dual batteries (33 Wh and 19 Wh) in the two modules, the larger one being naturally inside the keyboard dock.

When it comes to storage, future owners will enjoy a large 1TB HDD placed inside the dock and a 64GB flash drive inside the tablet.

Asus designed the Book Trio applying its traditional philosophy on a slim and light-weight body, with a brushed metal finish. Considering this is a model with an 11.6-inch display capable of 1080 resolution (Full HD), the Trio is quite a capable machine.

Asus MeMo Pad FHD 10

This one is a 10-inch, 9.5mm-thick slab, housing both a dual-core, 1.6GHz Intel processor and Android 4.2 Jelly Bean -- another Clover Trail+ powered tablet from the Taiwanese company. Perhaps just as notable is the inclusion of a 1,920 x 1,200 backlit 10-inch screen -- one that's capable of 1080p video playback and one that performed just as admirably as recent ASUS tablets. We're promised 10 hours of use from the 25Wh battery, with all the requisite Bluetooth (3.0), WiFi (802.11 a/b/g/n) and GPS connectivity. There are also dual speakers but we're waiting to confirm if this means stereo sound. It'll arrive in two configurations: 16GB and 32GB, in either dark blue and white.

Asus MeMo Pad HD 7

The screen of the MeMo Pad HD 7 has received quite the improvement, moving from a resolution of 1024 x 600 to 1280 x 800 pixels. The new version also comes with more processing power, as it has a quad-core Cortex A7 CPU. Also in the mix are a 5 and a 1.2 megapixel cameras, as well as Asus' proprietary Sonic Master audio technology. The tablet runs Android 4.2

Asus Transformer Pad Infinity

Its 10.1-inch screen packs a potent 2,560 x 1,600 resolution, alongside a quad-core Tegra 4 chip clocked at 1.9GHz, USB 3.0 port, Bluetooth 3.0 and, whoa, 4K output via HDMI. There's 32GB of internal storage, residing inside a spun metallic-finished that's very similar to the current Zenbook series and last-generation Infinity tablets, while you'll get an SD slot through its companion dock too.

Blackadder.
  • Blackadder.

Luck. Runs. Out.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 09 June 2013 - 12:26 PM

Hope ASUS's new tablets aren't marred with sh*t quality storage. It's caused their older devices to operate way slower than they should which is a shame because the devices could operate far better if they weren't so cheap with their storage.

It's good to see another above-1080p display device though, something Samsung seems to have oddly not bothered with in their own lineup, even stranger considering they made the Nexus 10.

Kevin...
  • Kevin...

Bringer of Dramageddon

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:10 AM

Well this topic fell behind a bit. Anywho, I shattered my Nexus 7 a month or so back and I have been on the look for a new cheap replacement. Cheap as in: popular, out for less than a year, sub-200 dollars, and I can run an AOSP style ROM.

I found a B&N Nook HD+ 32gb 9" tablet. I did a bit of reading on it an its hardware is pretty decent to say the least. I knew the OS was going to be Barns and Noble hell but the build quality is there, the screen is wonderful, and it has a SD card slot...which I used to install TWRP, CM10.1 and Superuser.

I finally have a tablet again. I was really starting to get bored at work and my office was lifeless without one.

DarthShinobi
  • DarthShinobi

The fall is FAST and STEEP

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:02 AM

So I rooted my Nexus 4 and now the hotspot feature doesn't seem to work. It doesn't even ask for the password, it just says unable to connect on both my laptop and iPad Mini. You guys know what might be causing this? It worked when I wasn't rooted while I was using FoxFi

kudoboi
  • kudoboi

HI

• Members

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:31 PM

QUOTE (Erebos @ Tuesday, Jul 2 2013, 02:02)
So I rooted my Nexus 4 and now the hotspot feature doesn't seem to work. It doesn't even ask for the password, it just says unable to connect on both my laptop and iPad Mini. You guys know what might be causing this? It worked when I wasn't rooted while I was using FoxFi

are you using stock ROM or a custom ROM

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:33 PM

QUOTE (Whiskey @ Thursday, May 23 2013, 01:55)

That sucks man, I know it's an old post haha, how is the HTC One anyway? How does it compare to the Galaxy S 2? I have an S2 now, the battery life is horrid after a year, just picked up a replacement battery for $9 postage included, they are really cheap to replace now, but my screen is cracked and i'm bored of the minor bugs in the software that's been a nuisance since Day 1 even after Android upgrades.

So yeah, I like the GSII, how does the ONE hold up? I feel the SGS4 is to big, my hands are big anyway, but I dunno, It gets to a point where size becomes slightly ridiculous.

DarthShinobi
  • DarthShinobi

The fall is FAST and STEEP

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:37 PM

QUOTE (kudoboi @ Tuesday, Jul 2 2013, 12:31)
QUOTE (Erebos @ Tuesday, Jul 2 2013, 02:02)

are you using stock ROM or a custom ROM

Stayed with stock 4.2.2

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users