Photo

Google Android

1,214 replies to this topic
LCstuntman
  • LCstuntman

It's a wonderful horrible life.

• Members

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:50 PM

Sooo sometimes my HTC One X just stops recieving messages, and I have to restart it when I have a hunch that its messing up. When it's done restarting I'll finally get the messages from a couple of hours ago, by which time they're irrelevant confused.gif Am I the only one?

OverTheBelow
  • OverTheBelow

OTB "Oaty-Bee"

• Zaibatsu

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:48 PM

@LCStuntman: I had that problem once or twice on my old X10 and I had no idea what caused it. It's easier to just turn airplane mode off then on again when you suspect it might need a restart.

@Charlie: Haha no, I did an awful repair job! I've cleaned it up a bit (removed uneeded tape here and there) but it still looks a mess. tounge2.gif As for the wireless charger, at that price point I think I'll just stick with good old AC charging. Maybe Google's wireless charger will be cheaper, but at the moment I don't really find using a cable that inconvenient tbh (I wish it was longer though!). mercie_blink.gif

In other news, I'm getting some great battery life with a new kernel on my N4, so much better than stock:
user posted imageuser posted image

Brightness is about 1/4 of a way along the slider (for me this is the sweet spot for brightness on the N4). Can't believe I used to be happy with up to 3 hours of screen on time beforehand *at a lower brightness*. I'm just gonna say it's a shame you didn't unlock & root your phone Charlie; it took me literally 10 seconds to flash this new kernel and the benefits are quite worthwhile. Not to mention it doesn't get really hot and throttle down in games anymore thanks to the undervolt.

CharmingCharlie
  • CharmingCharlie

Proud PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:18 PM

It is possible some chinese knockoffs might hit the market for about 20 or 25 but I can't see them being cheaper than that. I can say with absolute certainty that the Google charger will NOT be cheaper than 39.99. I am expecting the Google charger to be 70 - 80 (still getting one). So in terms of branding and pricing the Maxell one isn't too bad. I guess it comes down to how much you value the convenience of wireless charging. I personally have always wanted a wireless charging mat ever since I read about the old power mats. Really am looking foward to getting my mat and trying it out.

As for the rooting thing, well the main reason I bought the Nexus was so I could access updates from Google in a timely fashion. As far as I am aware if I root the Nexus (aside from having to set the entire phone up again and voiding my warranty) I will lose the ability to update my phone via google and will have to wait till the hacking community release compatible roms. That honestly does not sound all that appealing to me and is a massive con against the benefits.

I don't have a problem with the current performance of the battery and I am never that far from a charging mechanism for my phone anyway. My N4 doesn't get particularly hot but then I don't play games on it. I mean sure I have minecraft and GTA 3 (both bought for 10p) on there but I have never played them. I like touchpad controls about as much as I like joypad controls i.e. not very much and wouldn't subject myself to such a retarded control scheme tounge.gif . All I ever use my phone for is social media, net browsing, email and fiddling with navigation and odd crap. So heat isn't that big a deal for me. There is just nothing rooting and the hacking community can offer me that outweighs the negatives that come with rooting.

Blackadder.
  • Blackadder.

Luck. Runs. Out.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:23 AM

I too like the idea of a wireless charger. I'm always plonking my phone down on my desk in the exact same spot, but regularly forget to plug it in. Then I decide I want to go out later and, oh woops, my phone is only at 40% charge. I feel it would be convenient for me, I understand that some people feel as if it's unnecessary but I don't see why they have to knock it for people that want it (no necessarily directed at you OverTheBelow, just in my general experience in this sort of discussion).

CharmingCharlie: Can't you just flash a stock image of the new version/old version then OTA? I've heard about people unrooting to receive the update before so I'm sure there's a way around it.

Also Vice City was meant to come out on the 6th, but Rockstar f*cked something up and now it's expected sometime in the next week. But hey, it wouldn't be a GTA release without a delay right?

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:27 AM

Wireless charging has finally gone commercial? Yay! How exciting.

OverTheBelow
  • OverTheBelow

OTB "Oaty-Bee"

• Zaibatsu

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:18 PM

QUOTE (finn4life @ Friday, Dec 7 2012, 11:27)

Well, not as "wireless" as one can dream (e.g. distance charging with no cable) but still, it's a start.

@Charlie: I'm pretty sure I still get Google Android updates even though I am rooted and unlocked. I think it's only when you flash a different recovery or a new ROM that disables OTA updates.. not 100% sure though.

See: http://forum.xda-dev...976&postcount=3

If you do decide you want to unlock and root after all, you need to backup your phone storage first because everything will be wiped, and you'll have to reinstall all your apps again. Little inconvenient but ultimately worth it if you want extra perks and more performance for free. I unlocked my N4 bootloader straight away after I got home from purchasing it so that I don't have to mess about with backups later on.

Also, I guarantee your phone will become a very expensive (and ergonomically inefficient.. catspider.gif ) hand-warmer when you try playing GTA3 for more than 10 minutes on stock kernel. This thing gets really toasty fast thanks to the glass sides. tounge.gif

QUOTE (Blackadder.)
Also Vice City was meant to come out on the 6th, but Rockstar f*cked something up and now it's expected sometime in the next week. But hey, it wouldn't be a GTA release without a delay right?

True that. Why is it always the platform I'm on that gets the GTA delays? PC, Android.. sigh sad.gif

--

Also, today I stumbled upon a PSP emulator in the making for Android. It's actually useable for a few games so far (unlike that NDS emulator). tounge2.gif

http://www.ppsspp.org/

Seems to be getting consistent updates every 10 days, which means we aren't far off from unofficially playing GTA Chinatown Wars and GTA Liberty City Stories on our Android phones. biggrin.gif

Blackadder.
  • Blackadder.

Luck. Runs. Out.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:57 PM

I wish Rockstar would just get off their ass and port Chinatown Wars to Android. We have a full port of GTA III and soon to be Vice City and they can't port a DS game?!

The fact that emulator is still putting 'more games reach the title screen' into its release notes tell me that it's quite a long way off from being useable. It would be nice but I'll honestly be surprised if we see a fully working LCS/VCS/CTW via emulator any time soon.

OverTheBelow
  • OverTheBelow

OTB "Oaty-Bee"

• Zaibatsu

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:07 PM

QUOTE (Blackadder. @ Friday, Dec 7 2012, 14:57)
I wish Rockstar would just get off their ass and port Chinatown Wars to Android. We have a full port of GTA III and soon to be Vice City and they can't port a DS game?!

Not to mention Chinatown Wars is already on iOS.

CharmingCharlie
  • CharmingCharlie

Proud PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:19 PM

QUOTE (finn4life @ Friday, Dec 7 2012, 12:27)

Hah not a chance in hell just yet, you have to remember we are talking about corporations that display a level of competence that borders on moronic. There are actually TWO competing standards. In one corner we have Oi supported by LG, Nokia, Verizon, Sony, Samsung and 100 other companies. In the other corner we have PMA (Power Matters Alliance) supported by Duracell, Starbucks, Apple, Google (that's right Google supports a competing standard but the Nexus 4 is Qi only) and AT&T. Naturally they are both completely incompatible with each other. So if you take your Oi phone to a Starbucks you will not be able to use the wireless chargers they are embedding in their coffee tables.

So we are in for a nice new standards war, you know those healthy things that do nothing but piss consumers off.

QUOTE (OverTheBelow @ Friday, Dec 7 2012, 14:18)
If you do decide you want to unlock and root after all, you need to backup your phone storage first because everything will be wiped, and you'll have to reinstall all your apps again. Little inconvenient but ultimately worth it if you want extra perks and more performance for free. I unlocked my N4 bootloader straight away after I got home from purchasing it so that I don't have to mess about with backups later on.

I think you are underestimating my reluctance to do unlocking tounge2.gif I spent THREE YEARS using a Samsung Galaxy S and Gingerbread. Whilst everyone else when ahead and rooted their phone and installed a whole manner of exotic hacker roms I spent THREE YEARS using Gingerbread. Get the idea how reluctant I am to unlock now lol.

QUOTE (OverTheBelow @ Friday, Dec 7 2012, 14:18)
Also, I guarantee your phone will become a very expensive (and ergonomically inefficient.. catspider.gif ) hand-warmer when you try playing GTA3 for more than 10 minutes on stock kernel. This thing gets really toasty fast thanks to the glass sides. tounge.gif

I can absolutely guarantee you that if I spent 10 minutes trying to play a game with a touchscreen I would have a smashed phone. I just cannot use a touchscreen to play games. I lack some sort of "ancient" gene or something. I tried GTA 3 out on my N4 and I got as far as the first mission and thought "f*ck this I got better things to do with my time". Seriously how the hell do people play games on a touch screen ?

I will say though that I quite enjoyed GTA 3 on the blue stacks Android Emulator for the PC, you can use the mouse and keyboard and the WASD keys for control. But then I thought "what the hell am I playing the Android version on my PC when I could play the PC version on me PC" tounge2.gif

Blackadder.
  • Blackadder.

Luck. Runs. Out.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:13 PM

QUOTE (OverTheBelow @ Friday, Dec 7 2012, 23:07)
QUOTE (Blackadder. @ Friday, Dec 7 2012, 14:57)

Not to mention Chinatown Wars is already on iOS.

Which makes it even more ridiculous that it hasn't been ported to Android. They've already got a control scheme designed for a touch screen!

CharmingCharlie: Do you possess some sort of time machine? The Galaxy S came out in July 2010. notify.gif

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:17 PM

What are the benefits on rooting your phone? And what are the risks?

CharmingCharlie
  • CharmingCharlie

Proud PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:13 PM

QUOTE (Blackadder. @ Friday, Dec 7 2012, 19:13)
CharmingCharlie: Do you possess some sort of time machine? The Galaxy S came out in July 2010. notify.gif

Hm it honestly felt longer than that. I grabbed a Galaxy S as soon as I could. Now thinking about it the fact he bastards ditched us after less than two years makes me even angrier. I am glad I will never give that sh*thole Samsung company another penny of my money ever again (reason why I skipped the "Galaxy" Nexus (sic)).

QUOTE (goin-god @ Friday, Dec 7 2012, 19:17)
What are the benefits on rooting your phone? And what are the risks?

There are no real "risks" involved in rooting your phone (the risks are more what you do with the phone after you have rooted). However a rooted phone can mean the manufacture will consider the warranty voided, it could also leave you more vulnerable security wise to malware that could exploit super user access.

On the plus side you can install a whole host of cool crap that does stuff the vanilla Android OS doesn't do and will never do. You can also replace parts of the Android OS with better versions to improve things (like OvertheBelow has done). You can also flash and install cool custom operating systems.

There is nothing wrong with rooting your phone and if you feel the benefits are worth it then go for it. But for me personally I would never use the cool stuff that you can do with rooting your phone. I never really had much confidence or "faith" in the communities Cyangenmod stuff so I can't really see a point to me personally rooting my phone and opening myself to the cons for no gain whatsoever.

Pico
  • Pico

cinnamon ropes

• Zaibatsu

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:33 AM

Charlie covered rooting well. Ultimately the biggest impact would be with your warranty, it may pose an issue if you need to send it in for repair or need to swap for a replacement. If you root your phone or flash software incorrectly you can permanently damage your phone, but all the proper steps are usually given to avoid this if you follow them. You can open your phone's full potential up when rooting by allowing certain apps to be installed, customer kernals for better performance, and custom ROMs that can be packed full of awesome features.

On an unrelated note... I got the Note 2! It dwarfs my Galaxy S3, which just feels too small when I hold now. I love the 5.5" screen and have no complaints other than the back is slippery and I've plopped it on the desk pretty hard a few times as it slipped from my hand. I have a case being delivered tomorrow which will be much welcomed. The phone is incredibly smooth, and the features that Samsung added are great.

The S Pen is a cool addition. Hovering over the top, bottom, or sides of a page will scroll since it senses the stylus within about half a inch from the surface. Pressing the button allows you to do some nice gestures like back, crop, screen shot, or open a notepad to draw/write down a note quickly.

Multi-view allows you to open two windows at once. I'll be rooting my phone opening up all the apps to work* in this mode, as it only came with 7 available to multi-view by default. *While the mod allows you to add other apps to multi-view, some have compatibility issues.

Pop-up browser is great when you're in apps like Facebook and don't want to leave the app. Just clicking the link will ask you how you want to open it, choosing pop-up browser will bring a moveable window that stays on top of the screen until you close it.

The battery is great. With light use (texting lightly, light web browsing, no videos or music) I could get it to last 3 days on one charge. Moderate usage, 24+. Heavy usage, at least 16 hours. Truly a great battery life.

The screen itself seems clear and bright, however a side-by-side next to the S3 will show it's maximum brightness, and with the the whites, aren't up to par. And the Droid DNA has an even clearer, more vivid screen.

If you've got the cash to throw down on a phone like this, I say take a gooood look at it, as it's really amazing. I can't wait until further support comes out for ROMs. I'd like something like AOKP with Touchwiz still embedded, as Samsung has struck a big win with their features, the majority of which would take at least an hour to cover.
I'll almost definitely be purchasing the Droid DNA come Thursday, the employee edition comes with an all red back (and a wireless charging pillow, sweet!) and is only $99 for us. How can I turn such a beautiful deal down?! With next day delivery I should have it this coming Friday biggrin.gif

Now... I need to sell this S3 to pay off my Note 2, lol.

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:17 PM

Yes Charlie, I know the standard war well, Blu ray vs HD DVD, Blu Ray is better in every possible way, wtf Microsoft?
I don't get why big companies like google pick standards that nobody else uses.

Well, not as "wireless" as one can dream (e.g. distance charging with nocable) but still, it's a start.

Dang, I thought they had made it efficient enough for phone chargers, guess not. I swear if they had funded Tesla we would be so much further with that, probably not making prototypes like this.

les
  • les

Kith the batman.

• The Precinct

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:48 PM

Anyone got a nexus 7? Thoughts?

OverTheBelow
  • OverTheBelow

OTB "Oaty-Bee"

• Zaibatsu

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:06 PM

QUOTE (les @ Monday, Dec 10 2012, 18:48)

No, but I'm pretty tempted. Not sure about the enormous size of the screen bezels though. dontgetit.gif

I know someone who owns one is extremely happy with theirs, though.

les
  • les

Kith the batman.

• The Precinct

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:33 PM

QUOTE (OverTheBelow @ Monday, Dec 10 2012, 19:06)

No, but I'm pretty tempted. Not sure about the enormous size of the screen bezels though. dontgetit.gif

I know someone who owns one is extremely happy with theirs, though.

I honestly haven't seen a nexus 7 in person, so I hadn't really thought about the bezel; I guess it didn't really stand out to me in comparison pictures to the other 7" tablets at that price point. I'm not to concerned about the heft, though, as I'll only be adding to it with a folio style case. I'm going to buy one after Christmas, as my wife and I allow ourselves to be a little selfish with our Christmas cash from the grandparents. I was initially interested in a kindle fire, because I need to have a tablet for textbooks as I'm back in college. The nexus 7 really caught my eye after a bit of research, and it seems like a no-brainier at this price point. I just wanted to see if any of my friends here had any thoughts on the matter.

Blackadder.
  • Blackadder.

Luck. Runs. Out.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:01 AM

I'd rather have a decent sized bezel that allows me to hold the tablet comfortably than have a super skinny bezel that ends up with my hitting the screen often.

I've used a display Nexus 7 a few times. It's pretty comfortable to hold with its rubber-like back, and it flies with Project Butter. I intend to get one myself sooner or later, because it's just so damn good in my opinion.

Also flashed a 4.2 camera onto my phone. Gave photosphere a shot in my backyard, it's pretty tricky to get it done properly as if you move too much you get all these overlaps. Pretty funky feature though.

lordjubblydave
  • lordjubblydave

Jubbly > RROD

• D1RTY12

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:45 AM

Nexus 7 is by a country mile the best tablet I have owned.
I have owned previously: Advent Vega, Andypad, HTC Flyer and Galaxy Tab 2.
I have also played with iPads.
In terms of Bang for Buck and user experience, I don't think the N7 cant be beaten at the moment.
I have the 32gb flavour at the moment but I had the 16Gb from launch so I have owned one for a while now.
Performance is on par with if not better than my One X.
As long as you can cope with the limited storage then you will not be disappointed.
Easy to Root and Unlock etc if that is your thing, although not really needed as its a Nexus device so of is always going to get the Latest releases of Android first

matthew1g
  • matthew1g

Trust me, I'm a pipe smoker

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:54 PM

user posted image

Dammit! Gonna try getting it via other means.. If it works, anyone have any idea how to somehow trick google play into letting me buy the game and install it legally on my padfone?

Blackadder.
  • Blackadder.

Luck. Runs. Out.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:21 PM

I haven't heard of ways to trick the store into thinking you're using a different device, only thinking you're from another country.

Guess you're going to have to resort to 'alternative' means until they fix it.

OverTheBelow
  • OverTheBelow

OTB "Oaty-Bee"

• Zaibatsu

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:19 PM

QUOTE (Blackadder. @ Thursday, Dec 13 2012, 17:21)
I haven't heard of ways to trick the store into thinking you're using a different device, only thinking you're from another country.

Guess you're going to have to resort to 'alternative' means until they fix it.

These "alternative means" should be totally legal if you buy the game on the store for a device that is compatible beforehand. wink.gif

In other news, my sexy Diztronic case arrived all the way from the US today. Covers up my previously smashed and duct-taped N4 back (a couple pages back) flawlessly, which is fantastic. colgate.gif

user posted image

user posted image

matthew1g
  • matthew1g

Trust me, I'm a pipe smoker

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:52 PM

well I got the game from "alternative means" and it runs fine maxed out both on phone mode and tablet mode. It even supports fast switching aka - automatically scaling the interface to tablet mode once you drop the phone in without having to restart the game!

user posted image

Ats.
  • Ats.

Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:30 AM

So I'm getting a GS3 next week and I'm in a dilemma. Do I need a screen protector? There's not many screen protectors around here anyways, mainly Chinese pieces of crap and I've heard they can ruin the screen. I'm also worried about the phone experience, most of the cheap ones will probably decrease the sensitivity and colors. Isn't just gorilla glass enough?

Also, I used my Wildfire S for 1 and a half years without a screen protector (I held it in a some sort of bag though) and no scratches at all, so yeah. But I don't want a bag anymore, it's really annoying.

Blackadder.
  • Blackadder.

Luck. Runs. Out.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:02 PM

Gorilla Glass is not always enough. I don't use a screen protector on my SGS2 which has Gorilla Glass 1 and I have minor scratches at the top of my screen. They're practically invisible to the eye when the screen is on most of the time but sometimes you can see it and it is a bit disheartening.

I guess you just have to weigh up potentially having a few small scratches here and there vs having a sheet of plastic over the screen. I hate the look and feel of a screen protector so that was not how I wanted to do things, and like I said my scratches are visible, but only barely. So if you can put up with a few scratches here and there I'd say go without the screen protector.

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• Members

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:07 PM

How do I upgrade my android OS? I'm on 1.0 on a galaxy s2 and I want to get the full xbox live app for it, but I need android 3.0 or 4.0 I think.

OverTheBelow
  • OverTheBelow

OTB "Oaty-Bee"

• Zaibatsu

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:02 PM

QUOTE (JOSEPH X @ Tuesday, Dec 18 2012, 14:07)
How do I upgrade my android OS? I'm on 1.0 on a galaxy s2 and I want to get the full xbox live app for it, but I need android 3.0 or 4.0 I think.

Settings > About Phone > System Updates

You're probably on 2.3.4, not 1.0.

TheKryptonite
  • TheKryptonite

The World is Yours

• Members

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:40 PM

user posted image

Mince
  • Mince

Mnage trois

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:06 PM

I received my first Android device this past weekend, the Galaxy Axiom. I think it's essentially a smaller U.S. Cellular-only version of the GS3 with slower internals. I do enjoy it though. No case for it yet, and there don't seem to be too many around.

WHAT!?
  • WHAT!?

A. f*ck

• The Precinct
  • United-States

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:08 PM

I downloaded GTA Vice City for my Sony Xperia Play about a week back. It's really slow. I can play GTA3 with everything cranked. Wondering if anyone else has had an issue with this or know of a way to get some more performance out of my device?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users