Photo

Google Android

1,174 replies to this topic
Tornado Rex
  • Tornado Rex

*nix gets the chicks

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:11 PM

I dunno maybe it's just because there seems to be so many more choices on the Droid but the two biggest ones on here are Bugless Beast CM. Yet to me BB is lightyears beyond CM and even the few smaller ones, Sapphire and my personal favorite Simply Stunning, are way beyond CM.

lordjubblydave
  • lordjubblydave

Jubbly > RROD

• D1RTY12

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:24 PM

Have any of you used this excellent site before ?
AppBrain

Pico
  • Pico

cinnamon ropes

• Zaibatsu

Posted 13 July 2010 - 03:12 AM

Never even heard of those guys/ROMs, Rex tounge.gif
They must only do Droid ROMs. I probably won't ever use any of their ROMs because the Droid X's bootloader appears to be locked like the Droid's European counterpart, the Milestone. They've been working on breaking through it for 7 months with no luck apparently. So chances are I won't be able to install custom ROMs on the Dx. I'm fine with that, there's plenty of ways to customize the phone, and you can root it still. Just can't do anything through the bootloader.

@lordjubbly, I have used that and it's app to link it to your phone of course. It was awesome at first... then stopped syncing with the site! I'm not sure if the reason to that is my phone or the app/site, though. I plan on putting it on my Dx.

Btw, I just want to express my happiness in that a bunch of you are into Android. It's taken a while for people to catch on, but I'm glad the day is finally here! It hurt not having anyone to talk to it about, lol.

Tornado Rex
  • Tornado Rex

*nix gets the chicks

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 13 July 2010 - 03:40 AM

Yeah I've been waiting for an Android device for a long time. I got my Blackberry Storm like a month before they announced the Droid. I was so disappointed sad.gif

Then I left my Storm out in the rain (irony lol) so I ended up needing a new phone. They let me use my 2-year upgrade a little early and I have my Droid smile.gif Honestly I can say it's the first phone I've ever used that I actually like to use.

Pico
  • Pico

cinnamon ropes

• Zaibatsu

Posted 13 July 2010 - 04:34 AM

My first phone was a Blackjack II that I bought back in early 2008... yes, I was late into the cellphone game. And my second phone was the G1. I actually still have my AT&T account, but my mom uses it.
I'll end up getting a second line for myself on VZW in about 5 months. Why? With my discount it'll only cost me $5 for that line, $20 if I keep the data plan. But my plan is to make the account to get a phone at the 2-year contract price, then pop on a phone that doesn't need a data plan. This way I'll have an upgrade every 5 months to fill my phone desires. And this will be just in time to grab a 4G phone biggrin.gif

To inform you guys, VZW's 4G won't be as weak as Sprint's. VZW will run on a band frequency which can penetrate much better, allowing you to pick up your signal in more areas, and while inside your house tounge.gif No word on pricing yet, but expect it to definitely be competitive.
As far as 4G phones... no word yet. My guess is it will be Moto's 2Ghz CPU, 1GB RAM superphone with Android 3.0.

Pico
  • Pico

cinnamon ropes

• Zaibatsu

Posted 15 July 2010 - 06:26 AM

This deserves a double post... just ordered my Droid X!!! biggrin.gif
Should have it Friday!

The data analyst in my building and a guy from Motorola came to the office today to demo the Droid X. Had several demo units we got to play with, so it was nice to get even more hands on with it before it's out and before I got mine. Got a few little Droid X goodies, nothing crazy. But, still awesome to check it out! Again as I said before, it's very light at least for it's size, the reverse chin helps in my opinion, and it's very fast.
First thing I didn't like: the interface. When sliding through home screens the botton "dock" bar (the area with the "Dialer | app tray | contacts" buttons) swaps out to show dots for the three left, the center, and the three right screens so you can click them to quickly navigate through your home screens. It takes WAY too long to disappear. So long that I found my self pulling my hand away from the phone, then putting it back when it goes away so I can click the app tray open button. Of course, I'll be putting ADW Launcher on almost immediately, so that won't be an issue.

I just hope Motorola widgets work with ADW launcher!

Tornado Rex
  • Tornado Rex

*nix gets the chicks

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 15 July 2010 - 07:17 AM

Which Motorola widgets? Everything seemed to work fine on my Droid so I would assume everything will work good on the Droid X.

Are they shipping it with Froyo or sticking with Eclaire?

Pico
  • Pico

cinnamon ropes

• Zaibatsu

Posted 15 July 2010 - 03:14 PM

Eclair for now. I talked to the Motorola guy yesterday and he said he has no better word on when 2.2 comes out other than the "late summer" as stated by Verizon. He did say, however, that Google is particular in having the newest versions for themselves for a bit...

The Droid X is shipping with a "transparent" version of MotoBlur. Basically it's a modified UI that isn't called MotoBlur, but includes MotoBlur-like features. I think Moto just realized the negative impact MotoBlur had with most people so they're trying to hide it more while still including the functionality and making it less "in-your-face."
So what they did with the Droid X is include their own widgets similar to previous MotoBlur one's in what they bring you (eg, social networking, calendar, news, etc), except they aren't preloaded all over your home taking up space and looking confusing. When you long press on the home screen you get "Motorola Widgets - Widgets - Shortcuts - Wallpapers" as your options. Motorola widgets contain the MotoBlur type widgets which have been restyled a bit, and now they are resizable. You long press the widget as if you want to move it and lift your finger and you'll see a white box around it with white dots at each corner of the widget which you can press and drag to resize it.
I've got a feeling, like other custom Home's (aHome, Panda Home, etc) in the Market where you can't use their dedicated widgets on the regular home screen, you won't be able to use Moto's in a different Home/Launcher.

jelly
  • jelly

Posted 15 July 2010 - 03:35 PM Edited by jelly, 15 July 2010 - 06:25 PM.

And you didn't ask the frakker if it had a GSM radio or if it was going anywhere other than the US? cryani.gif

I'll remember this for the next time someone reports one of your posts. ph34r.gif

edit - might want to quiz him on THIS icon13.gif

Pico
  • Pico

cinnamon ropes

• Zaibatsu

Posted 16 July 2010 - 03:26 PM

Lol, I thought of a sh*t load of questions after the fact.
He was in again yesterday... he might be in again today but I think he said he was only in town for those two days. If he is, I'll ask if he knows anything about a GSM or even any types of sales outside of the US.

Now that eFuse bullsh*t... it's pissing me off, lol. It's all speculation. ONE single person wrote up a POST on a FORUM saying the phone has an eFuse chip blah blah blah. No proof, nothing. It's a big rumor spread by one jackass taking away the awesomeness of this phone.

The general ROM flashing public doesn't need to worry about the eFuse. Because the developers or people trying to open up the bootloader will be the first to know if there is an eFuse (that is of course, if a tear down of the device doesn't reveal it, if that's possible). So why would anyone be afraid of bricking their device via eFuse? The only way it could happen is that someone unlocks their bootloader and flashes a ROM with OUT knowing about eFuse. If they can figure out how to unlock the bootloader and actually find a ROM to flash with out knowing about eFuse... well you've just found yourself the biggest retarded-genius in the entire course of human history.

As I've gone over with other people, flashing ROMs isn't that big of a deal. Sure it's nice to have the freedom and I admit I'd probably do it eventually if I had the option. But I don't see it as a determining factor in buying an Android phone. Motorola's software changes, while it may not be liked for the UI/GUI tweaks, was very solid on the Droid. I don't see why it won't be for the Droid X. So replacing the ROM won't be necessary to boost performance or battery life, it'll only be to modify the interface. Well, that's what apps are for. The phone is still able to be rooted, so you can still install apps that need root access...

On a f*cking awesome note, I should my phone in my hands within 6 hours. Work is going to go very slowly today, lol.

jelly
  • jelly

Posted 16 July 2010 - 03:46 PM Edited by jelly, 16 July 2010 - 04:32 PM.

edit - screw that, I found a UK store with the ordinary Desire in stock. It's ordered now. 3.7" will have to be good enough.

poopskin
  • poopskin

Yardie | Not a Clever Man

• Members

Posted 16 July 2010 - 03:51 PM

QUOTE (Pico @ Jul 12 2010, 21:12)
Never even heard of those guys/ROMs, Rex tounge.gif
They must only do Droid ROMs. I probably won't ever use any of their ROMs because the Droid X's bootloader appears to be locked like the Droid's European counterpart, the Milestone. They've been working on breaking through it for 7 months with no luck apparently. So chances are I won't be able to install custom ROMs on the Dx. I'm fine with that, there's plenty of ways to customize the phone, and you can root it still. Just can't do anything through the bootloader.

@lordjubbly, I have used that and it's app to link it to your phone of course. It was awesome at first... then stopped syncing with the site! I'm not sure if the reason to that is my phone or the app/site, though. I plan on putting it on my Dx.

Btw, I just want to express my happiness in that a bunch of you are into Android. It's taken a while for people to catch on, but I'm glad the day is finally here! It hurt not having anyone to talk to it about, lol.

I have an Archos 5 IT, aside from it running Android 1.6 as opposed to 2.1 or 2.2 it's excellent biggrin.gif

the resistive touchscreen really isn't a drawback to me, i prefer styluses anyway because i have hugeass fingers which really don't lend themselves to touchscreens.

lordjubblydave
  • lordjubblydave

Jubbly > RROD

• D1RTY12

Posted 16 July 2010 - 06:58 PM

I have not watched it yet, but it is the guys from jupiter broadcasting chatting about Droid X and E-Fuses etc.
Linky

Pico
  • Pico

cinnamon ropes

• Zaibatsu

Posted 16 July 2010 - 11:54 PM

Posting from my Droid X biggrin.gif
So far im f*ckin loving it, but i can see it taking a while to get used to the softkeys.

lordjubblydave
  • lordjubblydave

Jubbly > RROD

• D1RTY12

Posted 24 July 2010 - 06:59 PM Edited by lordjubblydave, 24 July 2010 - 07:01 PM.

So what's the deal ?
Having too much fun with your Droid X ? Have you rooted it yet ?

I'm rocking Super E on my G1 its pretty awesome waay better than the Cyanogen. Effort I tried before.

I finally get my upgrade tomorrow, so if anyone has any last minute advice for me now is the time.
The contenders are still Desire Vs Galaxy S
So its cheaper contract or in built storage & larger screen.

Either way tomorrow I sign away my soul again

Tommy-Vercetti19
  • Tommy-Vercetti19

Sure, Grand, No Probs

• BUSTED!

Posted 30 July 2010 - 07:16 PM

Hey guys a question for you Droid lads. smile.gif

My Nokia 5530 is f*cking up big time and i've been seriously contemplating a HTC Legend. But i just want you opinions on it. smile.gif
I would be listening to music off it and i would be doing a lot of social networking/texting. Just making sure before i make a purchase. smile.gif

Is there many apps available too because it looks like a f*cking great phone. smile.gif

Thanks lads. biggrin.gif

Tornado Rex
  • Tornado Rex

*nix gets the chicks

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 30 July 2010 - 08:19 PM

The Legend looks like a great phone to me. I haven't used it myself but from what the reviews were saying it's a definite win!

As for apps. Right now there's between 75,000 and 100,000 apps available on the Android Marketplace, but that list is growing very quickly as both major companies and independent developers alike are slowly either switching over to Android (thanks to Apple's horrible developer policies) or realizing Android is a major player and porting apps over.

lordjubblydave
  • lordjubblydave

Jubbly > RROD

• D1RTY12

Posted 30 July 2010 - 08:57 PM

Legend = AWESOME

Pico
  • Pico

cinnamon ropes

• Zaibatsu

Posted 31 July 2010 - 02:38 AM

The Legend is what I could consider a mid-level phone. It's not bad, but it can't hang with the best out right now. That being said, I'm sure it's a solid phone although I have no personal experience with it.

As already said, there's tons of apps. The count is at least 83,000 in the market, just read that today. And the Android platform comes with a great stock music player, and of course there are tons of 3rd party music player apps in the market. I am not sure what size microSD card comes with the Legend, but it can support up to 32GB.

As for me and my lovely Droid X... I love it! I have decided that I still love hardware keyboards but softkeys aren't unbearable. They are definitely harder to type with, but not impossible. I love having Swype and the standard multi-touch keyboard because for two-thumb-typing the multi-touch keyboard is great in landscape where as Swype is great for one finger typing in portrait mode, and it's easy to switch between the two.

The phone is super responsive and quick. I do find myself killing tasks every so often to get it from about 50mb of RAM free up to 250MB, which is just f*cking nuts. Lots of phones don't even have that much RAM total, and I have it free with a Live Wallpaper, Texting, Motorola processes, and about 5 other random apps running. Amazing!

The camera is great! It's definitely not as good as a DSLR at 8mp, and plenty of point and shoot cameras are better, but for a cell phone, it's awesome. In low lighting pictures aren't the best, but the dual LED flash is a life saver. For instance, a few days after I got it I went out to the bar and was actually able to take pictures, and it was incredibly dim in that bar.
The video recording is fantastic in low lighting however, I've never seen such great night shooting on a cellphone. In normal day light it's definitely good, but there's possibly better quality phone video recording capabilities out there.

The screen... well it's clear and responsive. 4.3" offers a lot of space and makes everything just so much easier to do. Putting it side by side with my G1 makes me laugh at the difference, it makes the G1 look like a baby, lol. No offense, despite my G1 being terribly slow I still love it, lol.

As for the size... believe it or not I found myself thinking it felt small after a while. When it's in my hand I realize I could handle an even larger device and be satisfied. But when a phone is put next to it the reality of the size does come back a bit more, but still; a 5" phone wouldn't be too large for me.

What else... installed psx4droid, only tried out one game and it worked amazingly! I've barely noticed any lag in any situation, although the other night it did seem very laggy for some reason so I reset it and it was fine after that.

Oh, my brother got one as well. Apparently his has been freezing and restarting on it's own, and just last night the camera went out. So we're going to send for a DOA replacement.

Tommy-Vercetti19
  • Tommy-Vercetti19

Sure, Grand, No Probs

• BUSTED!

Posted 03 August 2010 - 05:47 PM Edited by Tommy-Vercetti19, 03 August 2010 - 06:59 PM.

I should be buying that HTC Legend guys, a guy from up north said he might be able to get it cheap up there. The more money off the better. tounge.gif

I was wondering, if i was to get it from up north. (N.Ireland) Would i be able to unlock it to my own sim card?

EmSixTeen
  • EmSixTeen

yer ma's got athlete's foot!

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 03 August 2010 - 10:55 PM

QUOTE (Tommy-Vercetti19 @ Aug 3 2010, 17:47)
I should be buying that HTC Legend guys, a guy from up north said he might be able to get it cheap up there. The more money off the better. tounge.gif

I was wondering, if i was to get it from up north. (N.Ireland) Would i be able to unlock it to my own sim card?

Depends which network it's branded to. O2 will be fine.

I love my Desire <3

XMike
  • XMike

Gangsta

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 04 August 2010 - 02:31 AM

So this past weekend I drunkenly cracked my G1's screen in half. So I'm not too up to date about what the best Android phones are at the moment (or being released in the next few months). I'm with T-Mobile and not willing to switch providers if that means anything.

Fozzy Fozborne
  • Fozzy Fozborne

Soldier

• Members

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:12 AM

If anyone's interested, I force upgraded my Motorola Droid to 2.2 and PDAnet still works fine. They kept saying it would be blocked, but it still works just fine for me.

Pico
  • Pico

cinnamon ropes

• Zaibatsu

Posted 04 August 2010 - 07:13 AM

Xmike, the best Android phone T-Mobile has is hands down the Vibrant. It's a Samsung Galaxy S phone, amazing specs. Arguably as good, and better in some ways, than the Droid X.
If you have to have a keyboard, then the HTC MyTouch3G Slide would be the way to go, although it's in the mid-range, specs wise. Sounds like you can't wait for a phone, but the HTC Vision should be coming shortly and is most likely going to be able to fully take advantage of T-Mobile's HSDPA+ network which is basically 4G speeds. Not sure on what the exact specs on it are, but my guess is a 1Ghz processor, most likely a Snapdragon is likely to be in it.

Tornado Rex
  • Tornado Rex

*nix gets the chicks

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 04 August 2010 - 07:29 AM

In case anyone didn't hear the official Motorola Droid 2.2 update came out. They're rolling it out OTA but you can also manually update. Story here:
http://www.droid-lif...motorola-droid/

Pico
  • Pico

cinnamon ropes

• Zaibatsu

Posted 05 August 2010 - 03:22 AM

I have no further input as a VZW employee on what I'm about to say other than I've heard nothing internally as to the status of the update for the Droid. All of my facts/rumors come from blogs.

So the 2.2 for the Droid rolled out yesterday, but apparently while that was going on a newer version of 2.2 for the Droid was released. I have no clue where it was picked up at, but everyone is thinking they've halted the OTA updates currently and are most likely going to re-initiate it with the newer update. I don't know exactly what the differences are, from what I've heard they two updates are indistinguishable or very, very similar.

I can't wait to get my 2.2 update for my Droid X. I got a 1,248 the other day in Quadrant with a live wallpaper running and a few other apps in the background.
I would like to say, my hopes/guess-timates for a score around 3,000 probably won't happen. I of course just assumed it'd have a similar jump as the Nexus One did, but it doesn't appear so because the Droid 2 is appearing to only get around a 1,250 according to these leaked images http://www.intomobil...chmark-details/

It doesn't make sense though, because it's going to have the same TI OMAP 3630 CPU and presumably the same RAM as the Droid X, so you would think 2.2 would increase it even a couple hundred points. I'm not too sure the Droid 2 in the above link was running 2.2 at the time, I really hope it was running 2.1. I find it hard to believe there will be no increase in performance with 2.2 for the Droid X/2.

Tornado Rex
  • Tornado Rex

*nix gets the chicks

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 05 August 2010 - 03:46 AM

QUOTE (Pico @ Aug 4 2010, 22:22)
I have no further input as a VZW employee on what I'm about to say other than I've heard nothing internally as to the status of the update for the Droid. All of my facts/rumors come from blogs.

So the 2.2 for the Droid rolled out yesterday, but apparently while that was going on a newer version of 2.2 for the Droid was released. I have no clue where it was picked up at, but everyone is thinking they've halted the OTA updates currently and are most likely going to re-initiate it with the newer update. I don't know exactly what the differences are, from what I've heard they two updates are indistinguishable or very, very similar.

Yeah it's FRG22. Apparently there was a couple minor bugs in FRG01B that were causing enough of an issue that VZW pushed out the FRG22 update to everyone. From what I've seen around the modding community though there's virtually no difference between the two builds though (I think it's like 2 files).

I manually updated my girlfriend's Droid last night to FRG01B so I'll be curious to see if FRG22 gets pushed to her phone tonight.

Pico
  • Pico

cinnamon ropes

• Zaibatsu

Posted 06 August 2010 - 05:49 AM

Not exactly sure when FRG22 is going to be pushed out... there's a leaked article from VZW but no ETA.

There's some somewhat sh*tty news for 2.2 for the Droid X. Apparently a Motorola employee, seemingly accidentally, said that due to a syncing issue (I believe) that the update won't be out until early September instead of late August as leaked Verizon info stated. Hopefully the Motorola guy is wrong... but it does bring up something curious; what about the Droid 2? It's supposed to come out with 2.2 with the same Android Blur version that's on the Droid X, as leaked Verizon stuff is stating. So does that mean the Droid 2 may be pushed back as well? It may of course just be a hardware issue with the Droid X so the Droid 2 may not have the same issue with Android 2.2. Only time will tell... but f*cking-a, I want Flash on my Droid X now! lol... and the boost in speed will be welcomed with open arms, lol. Believe it or not, even though I'm still getting in the 1,200s in Quadrant I've experienced lag in several areas. Even the app drawer in ADW launcher lags when scrolling, which didn't even happen on my G1. But over all it's f*cking fast and the ample RAM makes multitasking awesome, I never find previous apps reverting to their initial-launch state (eg, the browser always keeps open my previously open pages).

Tornado Rex
  • Tornado Rex

*nix gets the chicks

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 06 August 2010 - 06:25 AM

Well rumor had it FRG22 was being pushed out yesterday, still nothing on my girlfriend's phone though so maybe it was a small test-base. Still not a big deal though as the differences are negligible.

As for your Droid X/Droid 2, I doubt pushing back the Droid X 2.2 will affect the Droid 2 at all. They've probably had 2.2 working on the Droid 2 for quite a while now. Any word on how the bootloader cracking is going on the X. They got it rooted right?

Tommy-Vercetti19
  • Tommy-Vercetti19

Sure, Grand, No Probs

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 August 2010 - 10:56 PM

Can't wait till i get my HTC Legend on Thursday. biggrin.gif Anyone got any good apps to recommend for me? tounge.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users