Google Android

1,207 replies to this topic
F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:20 PM

QUOTE (d4v1d @ Tuesday, Apr 17 2012, 20:25)
@Finn
I don't even know why you want Samsung's touchwized ics. I've seen my dad using it and its pretty much crippled. Almost looks like GB IMO. Just get a custom ROM and flash away.

In other news, Samsung seems to be announcing their next Galaxy s phone on May 3.
Source

Does anyone know if the nexus line gets a new phone every year?

I like touchwiz, i don't see what all the complaints about it are i have no issues with it.

Whiskey
  • Whiskey

Homie

• The Connection

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:29 PM Edited by Whiskey, 19 April 2012 - 11:06 PM.

Serious problem guys. I flashed a ICS rom for my Legend, but when I was flashing the google apps zip, my phone got stuck in a bootloop and it just wont get out of it. Has my phone become totally and uterlly f*cked? I'm at a loss here. sad.gif I can get into the bootloader, but I can't get into the clockwork mod one. Just the stock android.

Going to try use the 2.2 RUU, but I don't know if it'll be any use.

Think I fixed it, managed to get into Clockwork and do a re-flash. Should be working now.

leik oh em jeez!
  • leik oh em jeez!

The boatman stays with the boat.

• Members

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:41 AM

Bit behind the times, but I just got an original Droid. I'm a little disappointed it doesn't support Terminal IDE, I was really hoping to be able to run htop.

Blackadder.
  • Blackadder.

Luck. Runs. Out.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:34 PM

Well I was pretty bored tonight so I decided to dip my toes into ROM theming. I only swapped out a few icons to get a feel for it, and until I figure out what the hell I'm doing it probably won't be very serious. But yeah, Sense 4 status icons on my SGS II.

user posted image

Pico
  • Pico

cinnamon ropes

• Zaibatsu

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:13 AM

Had some hands on with the Droid Incredible 4G today. It was super tiny compared to the Galaxy Nexus. Amazing what .65" can do to the size of a device. The screen definitely seemed too small for me. But it was light and super responsive. The camera opened in a fraction of a second and there was no shutter lag. It also has a cool mode where it won't take a picture until everyone is smiling, at which point it takes it automatically. Neat!

Acer announced the A500 Iconia 10.1" tablet, which I had and have given to my mom, is getting a 4.0.4 update rolled out as we speak... sadly, it seems only Canadians are getting it for some damn reason. Honeycomb on that thing is quite glitchy and ICS sounds to be much more polished. Hopefully it is, for my mom's sake.

On a pretty much unrelated note, anyone seen Blackberry 10? The keyboard looks promising. It's got a much more intuitive auto-suggestion feature where it pops a word above the letter you're going to press, you just swipe up from that letter (eg, the letter "t" will have the word "the" above it) and it inserts it. The camera has a setting where it appears to take multiple shots and face detection. They showed an example where the guy smiled but the girl blinked, well the phone automatically picked up her face, tap it and you get a circle around it where you can rotate a slider to previous shots to get one before she blinked. It then, on the fly, inserts it in the photo smoothly over her blinking face. Should be pretty sharp.
I haven't seen much of the new UI, but the GUI itself looks impressive. I have a feeling Blackberry may become a contender, much more than Microsoft at least.

Blackadder.
  • Blackadder.

Luck. Runs. Out.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:52 PM

You might want to take a look over on XDA, they have a downloadable update.zip you can flash for the Iconia A500 in recovery mode to manually update it to ICS. haven't tried it myself (on my stepmums tablet) but users seem to have a fair amount of success.

Speaking of new phones, what does everyone think of the new Galaxy S III?

user posted image

Quad-core Exynos processor, 4.8 inch screen and a whole bunch of new software enhancements.

The front page of Engadget is pretty much covered with articles so if you're interested head on there (or just Google Galaxy S III). They've managed to tweak TouchWiz a bit so it actually looks pretty good now, they've gotten rid of the ugly grey backgrounds in places and used a duller blue for various menus which gives it a more refined look.

The phone's external look however I'm kind of iffy on. The button at the front looks kind of weird, and the back looks kind of awkward, but generally it's a pretty snazzy looking phone and I would love to get my hands on one just to try it at the bare minimum.

kudoboi
  • kudoboi

HI

• Members

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:32 PM

im gonna get the S3 even thou i just bought both the galaxy nexus and htc one x like lesser than 2 months ago

F4L?
  • F4L?

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:15 PM

Will ICS be able to utilize four cores? I know it can handle two.
Well they made it even bigger than the current SGS2 which is 4.5 inches and the SGS3 is at 4.8.

Blackadder.
  • Blackadder.

Luck. Runs. Out.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:38 PM

To be honest I don't think the average user will notice much of a difference with a quad-core vs a dual-core except maybe in their battery life. The time it will make the most difference is in strenuous tasks like games, and of course the battery will drain even faster then. I imagine Google would of coded in support for quad-cores given that we haven't really seen a Tegra 3 or any Quad-core on a device that doesn't run ICS. I imagine Gingerbead could handle it too but Google mostlikely refined it for ICS.

As for the SGS II the international model is actually 4.3 inches. Various variants (mostly U.S carriers) bolstered the screen size up to 4.5 inches, and considering Samsung showed off the international model of the SGS III it's possible U.S carriers may boast ones that increase the size up to 4.9" or even 5".

leik oh em jeez!
  • leik oh em jeez!

The boatman stays with the boat.

• Members

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:31 PM

QUOTE (Blackadder. @ Friday, May 4 2012, 13:38)
To be honest I don't think the average user will notice much of a difference with a quad-core vs a dual-core except maybe in their battery life.

Depends on the CPU really. In this situation I believe Samsung decided to go with the quad core vs an equally powerful dual core purely for marketing reasons. So in this case, you're right. The performance is going to be pretty much the same even during games, but battery life will suffer.

matthew1g
  • matthew1g

Trust me, I'm a pipe smoker

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:46 PM Edited by matthew1g, 04 May 2012 - 10:51 PM.

I've been waiting for the S3 to come out, but I have to say although its got some impressive hardware, the software is gimmicky as usual, and it's made of cheap plastic. I'll bet my ass this phone will be stuck out of official jellybean updates just because of this.

I'm in dire need of replacing my 3 y.o symbian sammy phone. Not sure whether to get the One S or One X (EU Version). On one hand, I'm not a fan of big phones, I think 3.7-3.8" is the perfect size, however, I'm not sure if its worth going over a quad core over dual core. if anything as soon as it's coming out of the box, I'd like to root and see if there are any stock ICS roms to install. But other than that, I don't really want a phone for customization, just something that works, can run certain networking apps, has good Email, internet and camera and some light gaming which might involve emulators.

Blackadder.
  • Blackadder.

Luck. Runs. Out.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:01 AM

Are you saying the external casing has anything to do with whether or not it gets updates? And you can claim plastic looks or feels cheap but it feels perfectly fine to me, and makes the phone lighter and interferes with radio signal less than other materials.

Considering you want a phone that is fairly capable without being over the top I'd suggest you get the One S as opposed to the One X. It's smaller, utilizes the Snapdragon S4 which is an excellent processor and Sense 4.0 has been stripped back quite a bit to let ICS shine through. Going with the One X the only major difference you'll notice is a shorter battery life.

matthew1g
  • matthew1g

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:31 AM

I phrased that wrongly, I meant that all the touchwiz gimmicks will be the cause of delayed updates from samsung as usual.

The one S has a pentile display amirite? Anyone here tried it? how does it look?

As for the build quality of samsung, Mine has a metal chassis and frame and the same plastic materials used in the S2 and S3, the original casing cracked and fell apart, so I had to buy replacements off ebay, the same thing happened. Cracks in corners, clips falling apart so that the back cover doesn't actually close at all, 3 dead (Samsung original) batteries and microsd/microusb covers come apart. Let this be a testament to samsung build quality: http://i.imgur.com/12Zgx.jpg

PS: I've handled this phone like a baby. Only dropped it once or twice and it's been in cases ever since I bought it.

Blackadder.
  • Blackadder.

Luck. Runs. Out.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:55 AM

Yes Samsung aren't speedy with their updates but ICS was a pretty substantial update on the backend of things, which is why a lot of manufacturers have taken a bit longer than normal. I expect Jelly Bean to be incremental (4.1 as opposed to 5.0) so it should hopefully be pushed through to devices at a faster rate.

As for the build quality perhaps Samsung were shoddier with their phones back then. It may sound like I'm vehemently defending them but I haven't really heard any horror stories of the Galaxy S II (or really any other Galaxy devices) falling apart. I even watched a video of people throwing a SGS II 15ft into the air before landing on pavement with little to no damage. I've dropped my phone a couple of times (once onto concrete in a case, once accidentally qutie forcefully into this plastic carpet protector) with no noticeable difference. Compare this to numerous friends of mine busting up their iPhones dropping it from 3ft off the ground or even in their pockets. I'd say Samsung's quality control as this stage is pretty good.

David.
  • David.

Street Cat

• Members
  • India

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:38 PM

Decisions, decisions. Galaxy S III doesn't seem like what it was hyped up to be. I'm kinda sad that Sammy hadn't changed their design much. Looks like I'll be probably getting the one x. Am I overlooking anything else of the S III that the one x doesn't have?(eg bat life. I can live with that)

David.
  • David.

Street Cat

• Members
  • India

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:49 PM Edited by d4v1d, 08 May 2012 - 04:05 AM.

[IGNORE]

F4L?
  • F4L?

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:45 AM Edited by finn4life, 07 May 2012 - 12:09 PM.

Wooohooo!
ICS is here for SGS2 Telstra customers, i checked the updates page, no updates according to them, googled and it was out for telstra on the SGS2, downloading in a few minutes, it was released a whole week ago and they didn't bother putting it on the updates page.
So lame having to charge my phone before updating

Alright i have to back up, i am just in case, but is the phone wiped after the update?
sad.gif sad.gif I hate having to charge the phone first.

---

On an Unrelated note the SGS3 is just coming out...a mere four months after i start a two year contract for the SGS2.
Oh well, the SGS2 is more than capable of handling everything i throw at it,.
---

Edit: Tried posting from my phone after the update, the browser was much faster. but it wouldn't put the little 'I' where i wanted it to so i could type.
I heard it was buggy.

Whiskey
  • Whiskey

Homie

• The Connection

Posted 13 May 2012 - 02:22 PM

Hey guys, planning on buying a new phone out of the money I've saved. Been seeing secondhand Galaxy S2's going as low as 250 over here. Should I go for the S2 or should I keep saving? Either way It's going to be a big upgrade from my HTC legend.

Blackadder.
  • Blackadder.

Luck. Runs. Out.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:26 AM

The S2 is a phonenomal step up from the HTC Legend (I have the former, dad has the latter), so if you decide to go down that route you won't be disappointed. Don't forget how fast the phone market moves though, the S2 is over a year old and whilst its still holding up fairly well it won't be long before it feels and seems dated.

I'd take a look at HTC's latest offerings (One S, One X) as well as Samsung's sooned to be released Galaxy S III, and try and consider whether or not you'll regret not waiting to purchase one of these phones in a years time.

F4L?
  • F4L?

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:58 AM

I have the S2 it is fantastic.
Bigger screen than the iphone so your thumbs don't get in the way (Yet not too big) it is also very light and icredibly thin so now when i have my flip case on it, it still is not bulky.

It will handle pretty much everything you can throw at it, GTA III runs great, and i have not had many issues with the phone in general.

If you are going to spend 250 (Dunno where the pounds symbol is) then that is a great choice.
Unless you want to save for the latest quad core phones rolleyes.gif .

Honestly i don't think the latest set of phones that are quad core are really worthwhile at all.

Blackadder.
  • Blackadder.

Luck. Runs. Out.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:55 PM

It depends on your usage really for the Dual Core vs Quad Core debate. If the most intense app you intend to play is something along the lines of Angry Birds or Cut the Rope then the extra power of a quadcore is obviously unnecessary. However if you want to experience console level quality on the go then a Quad Core is a better decision. Theres also the question of future proofing, theres the possibility that future versions of Android will be more demanding, and having a higher specced phone now will ensure a smoother experience in the future (as well as being able to play newer games if thats what you are looking for).

Like you however I do agree quad cores are a tad overkill on phones, at least at the current stage where short battery life is a problem on dual cores let alone quad cores. However it does make sense on tablets as due to having a much larger battery they can have time to show off the prowess of the increased power before running dry.

Whiskey
  • Whiskey

Homie

• The Connection

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:17 PM

Thanks guys, good replies. I mean I wont be playing many games. Temple Run, GTA II and Max Payne is mostly all really. I just want to huge performance boost and the fact that the screen is bigger means I wont be texting all over the place with my big fingers. Not to mention it blows the iPhone out of the water!

Hopefully I'm in possession of a SGSII this coming Sunday! The ad is still there and a few more ads around the same price have been listed.

Piperka
  • Piperka

Big Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Australia

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:24 AM

I keep getting spam ads in my notifications! I don't know whats causing it, any ideas?

Blackadder.
  • Blackadder.

Luck. Runs. Out.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:15 AM

Check what free apps you installed recently, chances are one of them uses Airpush which delivers ads straight to your notification bar.

Try using this: https://play.google....hdetector&hl=en

Whiskey
  • Whiskey

Homie

• The Connection

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:36 PM

Loving my S2! Really is one million times better than my former phone! Any good apps that I should get?

Blackadder.
  • Blackadder.

Luck. Runs. Out.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:16 PM

Good to hear you're liking your new phone. smile.gif The only app I could really suggest is HoloPad, which is basically a note taking app that allows you to quickly write notes in a clean simple interface. Then again if you're still on stock it may be a bit pointless as the stock Samsung one works well enough I suppose.

uNi
  • uNi

Cyclop 9

• None

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:19 PM

HTC just gave us the One X this morning, loving it so far. The One V looks like
a 3310 comparing to this one.

matthew1g
  • matthew1g

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:43 AM

I gave in on the notion of getting a budget android phone, got a marble white GS3 off ebay, 32GB micro SD, Leather pouch, car holder and a bluetooth kit for my car. Should arrive this week or the next. Can't wait! ^.^

Blackadder.
  • Blackadder.

Luck. Runs. Out.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:34 AM

So jealous of you guys, both are amazing phones and I would love to get my hands on either one.

matthew1g
  • matthew1g

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:03 PM

To buy or not to buy http://www.ebay.co.u...#ht_2516wt_1413

I haven't had very good experiences with external storage on phones in the past, granted I used symbian. The phone would always CONSIDERABLY slow down once I load it up with content. Does android suffer the same fate? I'm gonna try and keep the apps installed on the internal 16GB whilst maps, videos, downloads, documents, music etc will be kept on the microSD card. Any ideas?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users