Photo

Google Android

1,355 replies to this topic
lordjubblydave
  • lordjubblydave

Jubbly > RROD

• D1RTY12

Posted 04 July 2010 - 09:39 PM

My contract can be upgraded from july 25 and runs out completely august 25.

I went to town today and checked out the Streak in a store, man that thing is HUGE.

The Desire still looks awesome. It has the 1ghz processor, it is also number 1 in Techradars top 15 phones in the world.

When is 3.0 out ?
Froyo has not even been released in the UK

Tornado Rex
  • Tornado Rex

*nix gets the chicks

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 05 July 2010 - 01:42 AM Edited by Tornado Rex, 05 July 2010 - 02:11 AM.

Froyo source code got released last week. 3.0 will probably be around October or November. I'm sure there will be plenty of leaks before that though.

Edit: Pico do you use a custom ROM? Which phone do you have?

Pico
  • Pico

cinnamon ropes

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:01 AM

Froyo is currently officially released to all Nexus One owners, that was just late last week. It is rumored to get to the Moto Droid/Milestone by July 13th or so, but should at least be by the end of July from what leaked reports are saying.

Gingerbread 3.0 has no official released time frame, at the best I think Google has said by the end of the year. Some rumors are saying the earliest we will see it is around mid-October. This seems a little soon to me, my guess is late November to early December. Just in time to ship phones with it for the holiday season. Possibly a Motorola phone with a 2Ghz processor they've said will come by the end of the year. My best guess on that phone's overall specs will be:
2Ghz processor
1GB RAM
~4" screen, no hardware keyboard (eg, touch screen only)
~20-40GB of storage, partially internal
HDMI out
Capable of running on Verizon 4G (which will be up and running around that time, according to rumors/announcements)

It should prove to be an AMAZING phone. Not quite sure how they'll hit that 2.0Ghz mark for their processor though... it'll be interesting to see when it happens.

Now, as for the Desire, I hear it's a great phone. I also hear it eats battery power up like crazy. I'm pinning this down to HTC. Their Android devices, at least, don't seem to have the best battery life. That's the only negative thing about the Desire I've heard. So if you get that, you most likely won't be disappointed.

VZW does NOT run GSM in the US, only CDMA. Vodafone is their European owner/counterpart. They run a dual band GSM/CDMA network and the Droid X is a dual band phone. So from my understanding it should be marketable overseas.

I have the T-Mobile G1. Yes it's running a custom ROM. Right now it's Super D black 1.9.3. It's actually a modified version of that ROM by a developer who's name is escaping me right now. It's got a slightly faster kernal. Funny, Super D is a custom version of CyanogenMod4.x.x. So I'm running a custom version ROM of a custom version of another ROM tounge.gif
I had CM5 on, but it got terribly slow and buggy in areas. I can't wait to get the Droid X so I can f*ck around with tons of different ROMs on my G1 with out worrying of screwing my phone up and not being able to call/text people for hours while I mess around with a crappy ROM or try to fix it, lol. CyanogenMod6 is in the works, which is Android 2.2, it should be out relatively shortly... my guess is within a month would be a good bet.

@lordjubbly... I'm not positive, but you might be able to get a version of the Galaxy S in the UK right now. I'd say look into it. It should be an awesome phone. It might be going by a different name depending on the carrier over there. I know here it'll be the Verizon Wireless Fascinate, the AT&T Captivate, the T-Mobile/US Cellular Vibrant, and the Sprint Epic 4G (this one has a hardware keyboard). So it might pop up there with one of those names, possibly even an entirely different name. To help you find it, it's basics specs are Android 2.1 with Samsung's Touchwiz 3.0 interface, 1Ghz Hummingbird processor, 4" Super AMOLED touch screen.
Other than that, I don't know of any high end Android phones. The best one is either the Nexus One which has quite a bit of issues, the Desire, and the Motorola Milestone which is on the mid-range end of phones.
If you're willing to wait, I'd say do so. At least look into Android news for phones coming to the UK in your time upgrade time frame. That way you can get the best of the best. I honestly don't pay attention to European releases because I'm not over there, and I've got to remember so much as it is, lol.

jelly
  • jelly

Posted 05 July 2010 - 11:04 AM

The Galaxy S is available in Europe, but.. Meh. For some reason they changed the UI so it looks like some sort of cheap iPhone lookalike with the Symbian font (which I've always hated). Besides, is Samsung known for keeping phones up to date? I'm guessing within a few months I'd be running Android made in a basement somewhere to keep up to date.

Pico
  • Pico

cinnamon ropes

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 05 July 2010 - 05:55 PM

The UI for the Galaxy is pretty iPhone-like. However, it's not terrible. And there are launcher alternatives from the market, like LauncherPro and ADW Launcher for example. So you just download those and you're set for a more standard Android experience.

And no, Samsung isn't always the best for keeping their phones up to date. You're basically just lucky if your phone is easily or already compatible with a software update from my experience...
The Behold II for example was promised to get a 2.x version of Android... and Samsung backed out. It was part of their marketing but later said "is not upgradeable beyond Android 1.6." which is bullsh*t, it's specs are fine it just means they don't want to do the footwork to get it to work. It's understandable, but don't say it's not upgradeable," just say the phone hasn't met the sales to justify software developing time for it.

But who knows, they seem to be launching this Galaxy S quite uniquely. The biggest issue I see is that each carrier's TouchWiz 3.0 interface is slightly different (GUI and app wise) than the other's... so that could cause a delay, at least across carriers.

jelly
  • jelly

Posted 05 July 2010 - 06:02 PM

I want something that's at least the size of the EVO or the Droid X, up to of course the Streak form factor.

The biggest screen Android device available here is the Incredible. icon13.gif And of course, once any of the above are available here they are outdated in hardware, software and have been left for dead by the manufacturer.

They keep talking about an open ecosystem and revolutionising the mobile space and all that - how about instead of the buzzword talk KILL OFF THE GOD-DAMN REGIONALIZATION?! icon13.gif

Pico
  • Pico

cinnamon ropes

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 05 July 2010 - 06:48 PM

It's all up to the manufacturers to start selling you guys all the top phones. I'm surprised they don't, but my guess is getting the phones to work over there (all the testing, manufacturing, and software tweaks, etc) just isn't worth it... that's really the only reason why I could see them NOT selling the phones there.

As you said the Galaxy S is over there, so really that is the biggest screen you have at a nice 4 inches. But, of course you don't seem fond of it. Do you currently have an Android phone? If so, try out ADW Launcher or LauncherPro. I recommend ADW Launcher, I used to swear by LauncherPro but it's started to get buggy with the increased enhancments and even started to slow down. ADW Launcher has tons of customization options and keeps a nice Android 2.2 look to it.
But, I know your biggest concern probably isn't so much the look of the home launcher for Touchwiz on the Galaxy S, but more so the fact that you don't know how likely upgrades to 2.2 or higher will be. Totally understandable.

The Incredible is a decent phone... it's funny how amazing it seemed when it came out then the Droid X pretty much blew it out of the water... and the Droid X will be out right when everyone is finally receiving their Incredibles that were on back order! Sucks to be them.
Really, as of now the only reason I see getting the Incredible over the Droid X (here in the US of course) is you don't want such a large phone. Because in all other aspects, for the same price you get a much better phone in all aspects.

With that said, it does such that the best/largest Android phone you've got over there is the Incredible. Hopefully as more devices come out better ones will spill over to you guys. As of now I think the count is at 50+ Android phones, something like that. From my understand you guys have about 10-20 of those, and we've got about 40. I feel bad for you guys...

lordjubblydave
  • lordjubblydave

Jubbly > RROD

• D1RTY12

Posted 05 July 2010 - 09:37 PM

So, i have been looking into the Galaxy S and you are correct, it really looks like an awesome phone.

The 16 GB of internal storage is also a major plus point for me, it saves me from spending out on a micro sd.

Hmmmm

Seeing as my current phone is a G1, i am guessing i wouldn't be upset with either the Galaxy S or Desire.

So it boils down to:

Sense UI, or 4" Screen and 16 GB.

We might have a winner.

I am going to check out both at the weekend, just to make sure

jelly
  • jelly

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:17 PM

QUOTE (Pico @ Jul 5 2010, 19:48)
It's all up to the manufacturers to start selling you guys all the top phones. I'm surprised they don't, but my guess is getting the phones to work over there (all the testing, manufacturing, and software tweaks, etc) just isn't worth it... that's really the only reason why I could see them NOT selling the phones there.

As you said the Galaxy S is over there, so really that is the biggest screen you have at a nice 4 inches. But, of course you don't seem fond of it. Do you currently have an Android phone? If so, try out ADW Launcher or LauncherPro. I recommend ADW Launcher, I used to swear by LauncherPro but it's started to get buggy with the increased enhancments and even started to slow down. ADW Launcher has tons of customization options and keeps a nice Android 2.2 look to it.
But, I know your biggest concern probably isn't so much the look of the home launcher for Touchwiz on the Galaxy S, but more so the fact that you don't know how likely upgrades to 2.2 or higher will be. Totally understandable.

The Incredible is a decent phone... it's funny how amazing it seemed when it came out then the Droid X pretty much blew it out of the water... and the Droid X will be out right when everyone is finally receiving their Incredibles that were on back order! Sucks to be them.
Really, as of now the only reason I see getting the Incredible over the Droid X (here in the US of course) is you don't want such a large phone. Because in all other aspects, for the same price you get a much better phone in all aspects.

With that said, it does such that the best/largest Android phone you've got over there is the Incredible. Hopefully as more devices come out better ones will spill over to you guys. As of now I think the count is at 50+ Android phones, something like that. From my understand you guys have about 10-20 of those, and we've got about 40. I feel bad for you guys...

Nope, my phone presently is as low-tech as it gets. All my Android experience is from fondling my dads HTC Hero, which while admittedly nice is a bit small.

I think I'll just wait. I'm in no rush.

Pico
  • Pico

cinnamon ropes

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 06 July 2010 - 01:15 AM Edited by Pico, 06 July 2010 - 01:25 AM.

I see jelly... best to wait out for one you will like, and as much as I know you I definitely think you should hold out for a larger high end Android phone to hit your market otherwise you'll just be disappointed.
My brother was up for an upgrade but he's on AT&T and the only Android phone was the Backflip of course... he liked it at first but it's just gotten slow and sh*tty over time. You wouldn't want to get into that position. It's similar to my situation with the G1... it's just in no way enough of a phone for me.
Luckily for him and I, we're getting on VZW with Droid Xs the second they hit. 12am next Thursday I'll be signing us both up for our plans and purchasing our Droid Xs biggrin.gif

@lordjubbly, I would personally go for the Galaxy S over the Desire. The Desire is up there in specs with the Galaxy S. The main difference I see, beside the screen size, is that the Snapdragon processor in the Desire most likely won't be as quick as the Hummingbird processor in the Galaxy S. And the graphics chip in the Galaxy S will definitely perform much, much better than the Desire's.
If you are taking it down to the interface level, Sense UI is very nice in my opinion. Some people hate it, I don't see why. But honestly, it's effect has worn off on me with the ability to easily just download a new home launcher (as I've said several times now, LauncherPro or ADW are great). So the TouchWiz 3.0 interface on the Galaxy S shouldn't be a huge reason to turn down the phone.

Just keep in mind, HTC has a good relationship with Google and they general are the first to release new versions of Android on their phones. Samsung is definitely not known for getting the newer versions out on there phones... of course, most other manufacturers in general aren't. Motorola would probably be just behind HTC in getting updates out, but even then they aren't that quick at doing so. We'll see if the 2.2 release comes out on schedule, if so then they're definitely stepping up development on newer Android versions. I think the ease on MotorBlur, such as on the Droid X, is going to make development much quicker.

But again, I wouldn't count the Galaxy S out on getting upgraded as time goes on. Samsung has to know that their high end Android phone will need the newest version of Android asap to stay competitive. If they fail Galaxy S owners then they'll bite themselves in the ass... and with their plan to take over HTC in top smartphone sales I don't see them letting updates slip by very long from here on out.

Here's a video of the two phones against each other, I haven't watched it so I don't know if it's any good, but it was the only one I could find.

edit: Well, what a coincidence. I go to an Android blog and find this article with a video, HTC Desire vs Galaxy S 3D Game -Quake2 running Test. Of course, the Galaxy S is on the right in the video:
http://www.androidce...g-quake-2-video

edit 2: but then, of course... shortly below that article on the same blog is this article which shows the Desire running the first leaked instance of Android 2.2 with Sense UI... no other phone has been shown with Sense on Android 2.2. So, this of course most likely means the Desire should be one of the first, if not THE first, HTC phone with Sense UI to get 2.2. Just figured this goes perfectly well with the topic at hand.
http://www.androidce...nse-seen-desire

Pico
  • Pico

cinnamon ropes

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 06 July 2010 - 01:40 AM

QUOTE (Pico @ Jul 5 2010, 04:01)
Possibly a Motorola phone with a 2Ghz processor they've said will come by the end of the year. My best guess on that phone's overall specs will be:
2Ghz processor
1GB RAM
HDMI out
Capable of running on Verizon 4G (which will be up and running around that time, according to rumors/announcements)

I hate to double post, but I don't think it matters to much around these parts. And I didn't want this to get mixed in with the shuffle.

I just found this article very interesting because it's so damn close to what I said Motorola's future superphone will be like. Rumors are going around of the Galaxy S2, yes the second Galaxy S. In the phone world it's never too soon to start talking about a phone's successor... even if the original one isn't out in all markets yet, lol.
Anyway, the rumored specs are eerily close to my predictions for the Motorola phone:
2Ghz processor (possibly dual core?!?!)
1GB RAM
32GB internal storage
8mp camera with "full" hd video recording (possibly meaning 1080p)
Android 3.0
1280x720 resolution (max for Android 3.0)
4.3" screen
http://phandroid.com...rumors-surface/

Now, I didn't say it but I meant to put I figured the Moto phone would have full HD capabilities. I did however forget about the max resolution. But aside from those two things, my guesses for the Motorola phone would put it at a dead even match for the Samsung Galaxy S2 phone coming out around the same time.
The link says the 2Ghz CPU might be dual core, but I find that hard to believe. It might be some idiot thinking a 1Ghz dual core=2Ghz and put it on there. But even at 1Ghz dual core or a 2Ghz single core it'd be a f*cking beast of a phone.

Smartphones, or as I like to call them, superphones, are advancing way too damn fast to keep up with now!

Tornado Rex
  • Tornado Rex

*nix gets the chicks

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 06 July 2010 - 02:49 AM

QUOTE (Pico @ Jul 5 2010, 20:40)
QUOTE (Pico @ Jul 5 2010, 04:01)
Possibly a Motorola phone with a 2Ghz processor they've said will come by the end of the year. My best guess on that phone's overall specs will be:
2Ghz processor
1GB RAM
HDMI out

I hate to double post, but I don't think it matters to much around these parts. And I didn't want this to get mixed in with the shuffle.

I just found this article very interesting because it's so damn close to what I said Motorola's future superphone will be like. Rumors are going around of the Galaxy S2, yes the second Galaxy S. In the phone world it's never too soon to start talking about a phone's successor... even if the original one isn't out in all markets yet, lol.
Anyway, the rumored specs are eerily close to my predictions for the Motorola phone:
2Ghz processor (possibly dual core?!?!)
1GB RAM
32GB internal storage
8mp camera with "full" hd video recording (possibly meaning 1080p)
Android 3.0
1280x720 resolution (max for Android 3.0)
4.3" screen
http://phandroid.com...rumors-surface/

Now, I didn't say it but I meant to put I figured the Moto phone would have full HD capabilities. I did however forget about the max resolution. But aside from those two things, my guesses for the Motorola phone would put it at a dead even match for the Samsung Galaxy S2 phone coming out around the same time.
The link says the 2Ghz CPU might be dual core, but I find that hard to believe. It might be some idiot thinking a 1Ghz dual core=2Ghz and put it on there. But even at 1Ghz dual core or a 2Ghz single core it'd be a f*cking beast of a phone.

Smartphones, or as I like to call them, superphones, are advancing way too damn fast to keep up with now!

Jesus. The battery life on that thing will be atrocious!

Pico
  • Pico

cinnamon ropes

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:52 AM

Lol, funny you mention that. I just addressed a similar statement on my Facebook fan page.

Look at it like the way computer processors have advanced. They are getting smaller and faster, and even though they are faster and even getting more cores, they are becoming more and more power efficient. Look at a Pentium 4 @ 3Ghz. It took 84W... most dual and even quad cores (in the C2D/Q2D series, anyway) took around 95W of power and offered multiple times the processing power. I'm sure it'll take a hit on battery life, but I'm sure it won't be detrimental, otherwise they wouldn't offer it. Cellphone manufacturers understand the need for their phones to have good or at least decent battery life.

For an example, I recently watched a Droid X vs Droid Incredible comparison video. The person said that they get better battery life out of the Droid X.
They both have 1Ghz processors, but Droid X uses the TI OMAP 3630 which is much more efficient and faster than the Snapdragon in the Incredible. The Droid X's screen is also more than half an inch (.6 to be precise) larger than the Incredible's screen. So not only does the efficient processor perform better, it allows a longer battery life while power a larger screen. And of course, the processor and screen are the biggest battery eaters along with the radio (which the Droid X also appears to win at, having better signal than the Incredible). So higher specs don't always mean sh*tty battery life, it's all down to the quality of components. HTC seems to be rushing out phones way too fast, they should focus a little more on R&D and come out with something truly amazing, as well as solid in and out.

lordjubblydave
  • lordjubblydave

Jubbly > RROD

• D1RTY12

Posted 08 July 2010 - 09:26 PM

Still researching phones.

Found this video, thought you guys might find it interesting.

jelly
  • jelly

Posted 08 July 2010 - 09:35 PM

user posted image

The Streak makes everything else inadequate.

Damn Dell for not shipping here. mad.gif Or maybe I should thank them, cause if they did I'd totally be stuck with a 1.6 device. sad.gif

Pico
  • Pico

cinnamon ropes

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 09 July 2010 - 02:56 AM Edited by Pico, 09 July 2010 - 03:04 AM.

I was going to say if you pay for it I could probably have it delivered to my place, then ship it to you... however, 1.6 is quite a bit behind. And of course they haven't mentioned any ETA on 2.2 (going to assume they're skipping 2.1), it could be a long way off.

@lordjubbly, well I can see you've stopped reading my insanely long posts tounge2.gif
I posted that video on the last page when speaking towards you, lol.

I do want to point out that the Droid X scores 1,204 in Quadrant which measures CPU speed. The Galaxy S gets an 847.
Now, keep in mind that this is with Android 2.1.
Seeing that the Nexus One with 2.1 gets about 550, and with 2.2 it gets 1,434. That's a 2.6 times increase. Apply that to the Droid X, and you get 3,130! The Galaxy S gets a considerably lower, yet still high compared to other phones, score of 2,202.

Why am I pointing this out? The Galaxy S uses a graphics processor within the same family as the DX, it's just one class higher (PowerVR SGX530 vs the PowerVR SGX540 in the Galaxy S). With the large difference in processor speed and slight difference in graphics processing, the Droid X is clearly the winner in other instances besides gaming, and will likely offer better gaming performance as well. Again, I cannot f*cking wait to get mine suicidal.gif

Tornado Rex
  • Tornado Rex

*nix gets the chicks

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 09 July 2010 - 03:44 AM

QUOTE (Pico @ Jul 8 2010, 21:56)
Seeing that the Nexus One with 2.1 gets about 550, and with 2.2 it gets 1,434. That's a 2.6 times increase. Apply that to the Droid X, and you get 3,130! The Galaxy S gets a considerably lower, yet still high compared to other phones, score of 2,202.

I'd be curious to see those scores in real-world. My OCd Droid (@ 1.25 GHz) gets between 1400 and 1500. I could see something pushing 2k give or take 100 but 3k is pretty damn insane. If that's what it really gets that will be absolutely nuts!

Anyway, since I've had my Droid for a few weeks now, and this topic is about apps I figured I'd jump the subject quick and see what apps you guys use. I'll do my top 5 but feel free to put however many you want.
1. LauncherPro - At first I was skeptical of this because I figured it was just another launcher. However after using it I have to say this thing is spectacular. You can customize how many homescreens you want, customize each of the buttons on it and choose which icon represents them. An absolute must-have for anyone on 2.1 and I highly recommend it on 2.2 as well.
2. CalWidget - If you use your calendar as much as I do this one is spectacular. It lets you make a widget on your home screen of whatever size you want. Anywhere from 1x1 to 4x4. It auto-updates and lets you pick which calendars you want it to sync. You can change it to any colors you want. By far the best calendar widget I've used.
3. ChompSms - Simple sms app that replaces the default messenger app. Lets you customize how the conversations and conversations list looks. They haven't added it yet but rumor has it the next version will let you change the LED color depending on the contact.
4. Astro File Manager - Quit simply a file manager. Lets you dig around in the actual files of the phone. You can copy, move, delete, whatever you want. Must have little app imo.
5. ShopSavvy - This is what I use both for my QR code reader and my barcode scanner. It'll search, based on your location, both the Internet and local shops for prices so you know if you're getting ripped off or anything. You can also set price alerts so if a product you'd like to get is a little too expensive it will send you an alert whenever it drops below a set price. Pretty handy if you buy the same thing and know what the sale price usually is. No more digging through the Sunday Ads!

There's plenty more I use, but they seem to be more to my taste. The ones I mentioned here are recommended to anyone who has an Android phone IMO. Also I don't believe you need root to use any of these. That's a whole different list tounge.gif

Pico
  • Pico

cinnamon ropes

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 09 July 2010 - 07:18 AM

Those are some awesome scores on your Droid! I talked to a guy at work last week and he told me he has is Droid OC'd past 1Ghz... can't believe the processor can go that high and run stable! He said he only has it that high when he really wants/needs the speed.
I'd be too afraid to OC, especially THAT high, in fear it'll hurt the CPU.
But as for guesses on the Droid X hitting 3,100 in Quadrant... well that's just going off the N1's scores. The DX may not have a similar increase, but I'd be surprised if it weren't twice as much, putting it at 2,800, which is still very, very fast.

Now as for apps...

1. I used LauncherPro for a long while. It was great. But you know what's better? ADW Launcher.
It runs better, looks better, isn't as buggy, doesn't "catch" or get choppy at all. Of course, I'm coming from a G1 at 528Mhz so you may not notice any choppiness on your OC'd Droid, lol. But seriously, check it out. It's f*cking sweet. I had LauncherPro for about 2 months, then about 3-4 weeks ago tried out ADW Launcher, haven't looked back.

2. Never tried it, I'll look into it. Can I get a month view calendar? You know, so it shows all the days of the month?

3. I used to use Handcent... when it worked and wasn't bloated. I liked that I could change the vibrate and LED pattern, LED color... all that customization was great. Then I stopped getting texts often. And it stopped sending texts often. Then that kind of fixed, but it progressively got slower. So I ditched it. Currently using the standard Messaging app (slightly modified one that comes with the Super E ROM), it's got some non-standard customization options.
I tried Chomp out WAAAAY back when it first came out. It was alright, I'm sure it's insanely different now.

4. Again, an app I used to use exclusively. Found Andexplorer... while it's missing some things (namely Search), I find it to be much quicker and have a better interface. But that's just me. Astro is good.
During one or two updates it came with two extra apps. I forgot what they did, but one of them was awesome and I could never find it in the market. Sucks they took it out...

5. I use Barcode Scanner. It loads up quick, catches QR codes fast as hell... don't really scan barcodes so I can't say how search results are with that. Never tried ShopSavvy, so I can't comment on that either.

Now, here's one that I use:
Bloo
f*ck the official Facebook app. It's glitchy, loads up the Top News instead of current News Feed. And it's just ugly... and slow.
I'm using an unreleased beta 1.5 version of Bloo which has Chat enabled... haven't used it though so I can't say if it works or not. But as far as everything else goes it's great... oh and the notifications actually work in it unlike the standard version. One issue I have is that I have no idea how to reply to a message in my Inbox... but I definitely recommend Bloo to any Facebook users. I don't think you can sync contacts through it at all though, so for phones that use the official Facebook app, you'll still need that installed.

Tornado Rex
  • Tornado Rex

*nix gets the chicks

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 09 July 2010 - 08:17 AM Edited by Tornado Rex, 10 July 2010 - 08:23 AM.

QUOTE (Pico @ Jul 9 2010, 02:18)
Bloo
f*ck the official Facebook app. It's glitchy, loads up the Top News instead of current News Feed. And it's just ugly... and slow.
I'm using an unreleased beta 1.5 version of Bloo which has Chat enabled... haven't used it though so I can't say if it works or not. But as far as everything else goes it's great... oh and the notifications actually work in it unlike the standard version. One issue I have is that I have no idea how to reply to a message in my Inbox... but I definitely recommend Bloo to any Facebook users. I don't think you can sync contacts through it at all though, so for phones that use the official Facebook app, you'll still need that installed.

Yeah I actually debated putting that in mine. I actually have both Bloo and the official app installed. I use Bloo for everything but I have the official app simply for the contact picture sync. However the developer of Bloo is currently working on a totally re-written version called Bloo Too. Google it. Totally open source too so even if he abandons it someone else can jump on it. Should be an awesome Facebook app.

I just gave ADW a try. It's nice but I didn't notice a speed difference between it and LP. Honestly if ADW gave you the option to customize the background of the buttons I would probably give it a longer try. As it is though I just love the look of my desktop atm tounge.gif

Oh also, screenie of my main desktop: user posted image

@your calendar question: No it doesn't have a month view. It's not an actual calendar just a widget for on your desktop. It gets all it's info from the built-in calendar. I've been looking around for a better calendar than the default one though. I've never seen one I liked for a mobile device though so I doubt I'll ever find one tounge.gif

jelly
  • jelly

Posted 09 July 2010 - 11:51 AM

You know you live in the future when we're overclocking phones.

Tornado Rex
  • Tornado Rex

*nix gets the chicks

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 10 July 2010 - 08:00 AM

QUOTE (jelly @ Jul 9 2010, 06:51)
You know you live in the future when we're overclocking phones.

Seriously what isn't overclocked these days?

lordjubblydave
  • lordjubblydave

Jubbly > RROD

• D1RTY12

Posted 10 July 2010 - 08:21 AM

@ Pico, sorry my mistake, it was probably your link I used, then I probably forgot, I do that tounge.gif

While I am here, I have had my G1 rooted for a while and running jesusfreak 1.4 ? Something like that.

I never really looked into other custom firmware versions.

Do any of you have any to reccomend ?

Tornado Rex
  • Tornado Rex

*nix gets the chicks

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 10 July 2010 - 08:26 AM

I'm not really familiar with any G1 ROMs tbh sad.gif

However for the Droid I highly recommend Simply Stunning 4.4 by ChevyNo1. It's a 2.2 (Froyo) based ROM and it's easily the smoothest ROM I've run yet. It also comes included with "bkapps" and "rstapps" custom scripts. Basically when you're going to do a wipe you type bkapps -c into a terminal emulator, do your wipe and when you come back you skip everything, open a terminal emulator and type rstapps -c and it will restore everything from apps, preferences, and even accounts. Easily the quickest way to get back up and running after a wipe.

Pico
  • Pico

cinnamon ropes

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 10 July 2010 - 08:46 AM

Oh man, JF1.4?!?!? That was one of the first custom ROMs! I think it's version 1.5! You definitely need to update, at least for the time being.
Get Super E or at least CyanogenMod5! All the new features and speed increases will definitely be worth the time. You may need to flash a new SPL, Radio, and recovery to install either of those ROMs, which is why I say it'll be worth the time. Installing the ROM itself doesn't take very long at all.

@Rex, to each his own. I don't see the need to customize the background for the dock much of a problem, then again I like the Froyo look so that may help. I also dislike the grayed out icons that are in LauncherPro, I was so happy when he allowed you to customize the docked icons, THEN allowed you to pick the icon.
I didn't know you were running 2.2, or at least I forgot. Surprised the Droid only gets a 1,400 at that clock speed. The Droid Incredible with 2.2 (don't think it's official either) gets ~1,400 and it's a Snapdragon at 1Ghz.

I'd post a screening of my home screen, but it's so blank right now it's not even worth it. Also, I'm too lazy to do all the work on my slow POS. 6 more days until I order my DX!!!!

On a side note, I talked to a Data employee at work today. Guess what he has... a f*cking Droid X! I got to see it play some HD video, and before I had to get back to work he let me hold it. What I can say is that it fits in my hand very, very well. It's surprisingly super light and very well balanced. The reverse/upper chin (part sticking out around the camera) is minimally raised, it looks much larger in pictures than it does in person. And it's only an illusion that makes it seem like it'll be top heavy, in reality I wouldn't be surprised if it's got a 50/50 weight distribution, so it won't feel like it'll fall over the top of your hand.

@jelly, not only does OCing phones indicate we're in the damn future, talking about weight distribution of a phone also does! tounge2.gif
Seriously... I feel bad for those who had to work with the sh*tty flip phones with non-color screens... or worse off ones with those green digital screens. Or even worse than that, the original brick cellphones... poor bastards.

Tornado Rex
  • Tornado Rex

*nix gets the chicks

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 10 July 2010 - 02:49 PM

QUOTE (Pico @ Jul 10 2010, 03:46)
@Rex, to each his own. I don't see the need to customize the background for the dock much of a problem, then again I like the Froyo look so that may help. I also dislike the grayed out icons that are in LauncherPro, I was so happy when he allowed you to customize the docked icons, THEN allowed you to pick the icon.

Yeah just one of those little nuances I got to loving tounge.gif That's what's great about these phones though, freedom to customize however you want. Can't complain about choices icon14.gif
I didn't know you were running 2.2, or at least I forgot. Surprised the Droid only gets a 1,400 at that clock speed. The Droid Incredible with 2.2 (don't think it's official either) gets ~1,400 and it's a Snapdragon at 1Ghz.

Just ran another Quadrant test and got about 1500. Not bad for this little guy. Running at 1.25 GHz atm. Still faster than the N1 on 2.2 smile.gif Considering the Snapdragon is a quicker processor I'd say that's about right. I've seen people get in the 1600s on their Droids though via some tweaking and whatnot.

Pico
  • Pico

cinnamon ropes

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 10 July 2010 - 03:47 PM

I may have worded that a little strongly, not that it appears you took offense though. When I said "only gets a 1,400" I meant in reference to the clock speed alone. I'd think it'd hit much more. But of course, it does depend on many things other than clock speed as to how a CPU will perform.
And yeah, still higher than an N1 so you definitely can't complain lol.

lordjubblydave
  • lordjubblydave

Jubbly > RROD

• D1RTY12

Posted 11 July 2010 - 12:32 PM

Ok i got rid of that Jesus Freak crap.

I did not realise how far the custom roms had come.

I am now rocking CyanogenMod 5.0.8.

Firstly i have to say it is awesome, i am very impressed with it.

My version of Android Pwn's the shizzle out of the version on Mrs Jubbly's HTC Legend

I would recommend it to anyone with a Decent Handset.

Which leads me to my prob, on the G1 it is as slow as Forest Gump.

Even with it being O/C'd and using Swap.

So it has got to go sad.gif

Pico what was the highest Cyanogen Rom you managed to run on your G1 ? without any slowdown ?

I think i can downgrade from within Android using CM Updater ? is that correct ?

Pico
  • Pico

cinnamon ropes

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 12 July 2010 - 06:41 PM

Generally you can only downgrade through Android versions. I apologize if I said put on CM5, that is Android 2.1 and I left it myself because it was too slow.

ROMs that are based on version 1.6 I've found to run quickly. I'd suggest Super D, which is a modified version of CyanogenMod 4.x.x.

But, I do have some news: CyanogenMod6 is out! That's right, Froyo 2.2. It's out for the Nexus One, G1, MyTouch3G and the Hero.
http://www.cyanogenmod.com/forum/

I installed 2.2 on my G1 yesterday and I have this to say:

Cons-
No option to put Home/Launcher in memory like you could in pretty much all other ROMs through SpareParts. So when you open an app, even the calculator for example and do a couple calculations then hit home you get a lag. Then it brings up the home screen. Then it takes 5-10 seconds to load all of your widgets and app shortcuts. Very annoying...

Slow to open up/switch through apps. It seems (looking through a task manager) that Froyo likes to kill off apps very quickly. I'm assuming this is one reason it's hard to switch through apps. But I would assume JIT (which you need to enable manually through settings then reboot) would have made app opening much quicker than on 1.6 but I guess not.

Signal bars sometimes show empty and I still have a connection. Weird...

When opening the Market on Wifi it will show the Edge/3G connection icon in the toolbar and sometimes (like when you have no signal) you will get an error saying you have no connection and to retry or cancel. The icon usually disappears quickly and you've got a connection again.

Pros-
Once you're in apps they perform very well for the most part. It seems to have an issue bringing up the softkeys from time to time, but not very much. Other than that, I've had apps perform great.

The Market will auto-download at least some of your previously installed apps! If you downloaded and app and didn't uninstall it through the Market it, then it will download automatically for you. It only did this for about 7 out of 20 of my apps, but when I went to find the app manually and clicked to view it, it started downloading automatically! Sadly, it doesn't restore settings. But it does make it quicker to get your apps back when switching ROMs or to a new phone.
Also, all the other Market enhancements (update options, comments in their own tab now, etc) are great.

Bottom line: This is a Release Candidate, so obviously there will be issues. I've just got a feeling that the performance over all won't be much better than a 2.1 ROM, and it won't match 1.6 which is worrying considering JIT enabled. I was expecting a phone that was at least as quick, if not quicker than a stock, untouched 1.6 ROM but that doesn't seem to be the case. So would I recommend you install this? If you don't mind having your phone slow down when switching apps and going to the home screen... then go for it. If you can't wait a few seconds for things to open, then do NOT.

I will have my Droid X soon, so the G1 will be used for messing around with ROMs, so I'll definitely try out the newest releases of CM6 and I'll keep you all informed on any positive updates icon14.gif

Tornado Rex
  • Tornado Rex

*nix gets the chicks

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 12 July 2010 - 07:13 PM

Am I the only one who doesn't like CM? I tried it for like 20 minutes and it slowed my phone down so much I could barely stand it. That was the 5.x.x branch too so based on 1.6. Pretty much every other ROM I've used on my Droid has been way faster and much smoother. Plus Koush is sooooooooo slow with his development. I know he wants to get it right but damn dude, there's be 2.2 ROMs out for like 4 months now. The current ROM I'm on has already had 3 source-based builds. All of them run perfectly smooth with no crashes or hitches or anything either.

Pico
  • Pico

cinnamon ropes

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 12 July 2010 - 08:53 PM

Every CyanogenMod ROM I've used up until 5 (2.1) has been smooth, minimum choppiness/lag. However, I have found Super D or Super E to be smoother, but of course those are based off CM ROMs.

What I've noticed, the CM team is good for is working out all the bugs, getting all the apps and settings to function properly. Then people like BBuchacher (Super D/E ROMs) makes the ROMs perform better.

Another issue with CM6 I just noticed, the Youtube player is somewhat glitchy. I hit the fast forward button and the video froze on the spot while the audio kept playing. Not sure if this is how it always goes, didn't try hitting fast forward again.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users