» «
Photo

New Dan Houser Interview

35 replies to this topic
Money Over Bullshit
  • Money Over Bullshit

Mack Militant

• Members

Posted 04 September 2009 - 11:36 PM Edited by Money Over Bullshit, 05 September 2009 - 12:21 AM.

For all of those who havent yet read this I suggest You Do.

Link

For those who don't want to Read The Whole Thing... Here are the main points of Intrest:

• The Story Runs Parrallel to Both GTA IV and TLAD and "starts about half of the way through Grand Theft Auto IV and part of the way through Lost and the Damned and finishes near the end of GTA IV"

• Some Characters from the Main game and The Lost and the Damned will be showing up

• The Game Starts with an Interesting Revellation that is "quite a good little sort of start in terms of the story cross-over stuff"

• Luis works for Tony as his bodyguard/right-hand man/the manager of his nightclub empire (and) the senior guy there

•"Tony is spiraling back out of control with drugs, painkillers in particular and a little bit of cocaine"

• Tony's Boyfriend (Evan) "is a drug-dealing idiot and he's hanging around with a bunch of assorted younger cokeheads and partiers. The kind of people one finds when one spends far too long in night clubs" which gets Tony and Luis more and More into debt.

• Over the course of the Story Luis and Tony will "through, stupidity, get into very, very dangerous waters"

Sorry if all of this is already widely known but I just thought I'd post this here to keep everybody in the picture as far as developments in the story.

All discussion on this is Greatly appreciated.

Enjoii
  • Enjoii

Calm like a bomb

• Members

Posted 04 September 2009 - 11:39 PM

Interesting stuff. It sounds like GTA NeXt was actually correct about quite a few things, now including the club management. I wonder how in-depth this system will be.

CryptReaperDorian
  • CryptReaperDorian

Boss

• Members

Posted 04 September 2009 - 11:40 PM

Not much that new other than describing the style and theme of TBOGT, but it's still good news to hear from the Houser brothers. Managing clubs would probably be cool though, but that feature will probably be gone after Gay Tony's clubs shut down unless Luis manages Bahama Mamas. Maybe Luis can end up buying Gay Tony's clubs back and get the business working again?

Money Over Bullshit
  • Money Over Bullshit

Mack Militant

• Members

Posted 04 September 2009 - 11:44 PM Edited by Money Over Bullshit, 04 September 2009 - 11:54 PM.

QUOTE (CryptReaperDorian @ Sep 4 2009, 23:40)
Not much that new other than describing the style and theme of TBOGT, but it's still good news to hear from the Houser brothers.  Managing clubs would probably be cool though, but that feature will probably be gone after Gay Tony's clubs shut down unless Luis manages Bahama Mamas.  Maybe Luis can end up buying Gay Tony's clubs back and get the business working again?

Yeah I think that would be brilliant if it happened.
I'm really interested in this "Revellation" like what could it be??

CryptReaperDorian
  • CryptReaperDorian

Boss

• Members

Posted 04 September 2009 - 11:48 PM

QUOTE (Money Over Bullsh*t @ Sep 4 2009, 17:44)
QUOTE (CryptReaperDorian @ Sep 4 2009, 23:40)
Not much that new other than describing the style and theme of TBOGT, but it's still good news to hear from the Houser brothers.  Managing clubs would probably be cool though, but that feature will probably be gone after Gay Tony's clubs shut down unless Luis manages Bahama Mamas.  Maybe Luis can end up buying Gay Tony's clubs back and get the business working again?

Yeah I think that would be brilliant if it happened. I'm really interested in this "Revellation" like what could it be??

I believe if Luis is going to get Gay Tony's clubs back, Luis SHOULD HAVE TO BUY them back to get them running again. That's one of the features that made GTA VC a good game. You make money from assets, but then you have to get enough money to buy more. It would also fix this "too much money" issue also. You can end up going from $1,000,000 to $250,000 for all we know.

shinsta312
  • shinsta312

Sypher|INFINITE

• Members

Posted 04 September 2009 - 11:51 PM

Remember, it's only a DLC. We won't go far beyond 20-25 missions. We might not even make it beyond $100,000

Tsar_Smirnoff
  • Tsar_Smirnoff

Daft Suburbanite

• The Connection

Posted 04 September 2009 - 11:54 PM

Did any of you catch that last part of the interview? Dan Houser stated "..when I steal a helicopter, fly off, and then parachute back out into Times Square." So this pretty much confirms that the parachute can be used at any time then right? Seeing as how he stated that he "stole" the helicopter implying that it's not entirely mission related.

oysterbarron
  • oysterbarron

You need a Pearl necklace? Hit me up ;)

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 04 September 2009 - 11:54 PM

dan houser looks a bit like jimmy hopkins!

Luis F. Lopez
  • Luis F. Lopez

Mr. Badass

• Members

Posted 04 September 2009 - 11:56 PM

Awesome interview, can Oct.29 get here already?!

Znd
  • Znd

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 04 September 2009 - 11:59 PM

Hell yeah M.O.B-youdaman

CryptReaperDorian
  • CryptReaperDorian

Boss

• Members

Posted 05 September 2009 - 12:04 AM

QUOTE (Tsar_Smirnoff @ Sep 4 2009, 17:54)
Did any of you catch that last part of the interview? Dan Houser stated "..when I steal a helicopter, fly off, and then parachute back out into Times Square." So this pretty much confirms that the parachute can be used at any time then right? Seeing as how he stated that he "stole" the helicopter implying that it's not entirely mission related.

He said he stole the helicopter in a mission. Hopefully it is a 24/7 feature though. Then again, is this the real Dan Houser? As the producer of GTA games I would think he would say Star Junction instead of Times Square.

florisinfernus
  • florisinfernus

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 05 September 2009 - 12:04 AM

Three leaf clover is exactly half way in and is perfect for a character crossover. 90% chance it will be the first mission.

Insom
  • Insom

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 05 September 2009 - 12:08 AM

I have a feeling Luis will end up quite a bit more wealthy than Niko and Johnny.

Money Over Bullshit
  • Money Over Bullshit

Mack Militant

• Members

Posted 05 September 2009 - 12:09 AM

QUOTE (Znd @ Sep 4 2009, 23:59)
Hell yeah M.O.B-youdaman

Thanks Bro cool.gif

I actually thought I was gonna get lots of posts saying "Old News" and "Get with the f*cking Times asshole" then the Topic would get locked for me being late to the party. Its wierd though the interview has been up since monday and Many people (including myself) are only seeing it now.

Back to the Discussion Though... I think it would be much better if you had to buy the clubs like was said. It would give people a reason to play the game after completion other than the 100% Clearence that a lot of people don't bother with anyway.

SirPsychoSexy
  • SirPsychoSexy

The Poet

• Members

Posted 05 September 2009 - 12:19 AM

QUOTE (CryptReaperDorian @ Sep 5 2009, 00:04)

He said he stole the helicopter in a mission. Hopefully it is a 24/7 feature though. Then again, is this the real Dan Houser? As the producer of GTA games I would think he would say Star Junction instead of Times Square.

Seems highly possible.

But about this 24/7 thing with the parachute. It will be available 24/7, I mean, why wouldn't it?
There is absolutely no reason for it not to be.

manofpeace
  • manofpeace

Stay Gold

• Members

Posted 05 September 2009 - 12:23 AM

I agree with florisinfernus about the Three Leaf Clover mission being the first. Remember, you see Luis on the ground next to the guy who shoots Michael in the cutscene.

shinsta312
  • shinsta312

Sypher|INFINITE

• Members

Posted 05 September 2009 - 12:24 AM Edited by shinsta312, 05 September 2009 - 12:27 AM.

QUOTE (CryptReaperDorian @ Sep 4 2009, 18:04)

Well, the interview is from "USA Today", a newspaper company, and not from some GTA fansite. I don't see any reason why they would just fabricate an interview.

As for the "Times Square/Star Junction" thing, anybody who hasn't played "IV" and was reading that interview wouldn't have known what Star Junction was.

Money Over Bullshit
  • Money Over Bullshit

Mack Militant

• Members

Posted 05 September 2009 - 12:25 AM Edited by Money Over Bullshit, 05 September 2009 - 10:22 AM.

Three leaf clover is exactly half way in and is perfect for a character crossover. 90% chance it will be the first mission.

I didn't think it would be Until I read Dan's comments about the way it starts off being "quite a good little start as far as story crossover stuff" as this immediately makes you think of Three Leaf Clover. Also the "Revelation" could be that we get to find out what Luis is actually doing in the bank.

Luis F. Lopez
  • Luis F. Lopez

Mr. Badass

• Members

Posted 05 September 2009 - 12:29 AM

QUOTE (SirPsychoSexy @ Sep 5 2009, 00:19)
QUOTE (CryptReaperDorian @ Sep 5 2009, 00:04)

Seems highly possible.

But about this 24/7 thing with the parachute. It will be available 24/7, I mean, why wouldn't it?

Agreed. icon14.gif Plus we get base jumping as a mini game.

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• The Yardies

Posted 05 September 2009 - 12:35 AM

Hmm...what I`d like to see revalated at the episodic beginnings, is the directional timeframe of a Bellic/McReary diamond/ counterfeit import. The kind that would facilitate an inclusion of a Klebbitz intrusion, eplaining a correctional facilitation of an Irish Jon, and notwithstanding teh execution of a Mafia Don.

Edit: and Base Jumping icon14.gif

CHOOKOKABRA
  • CHOOKOKABRA

You're such a n00b

• Members

Posted 05 September 2009 - 03:04 AM

Theres always gotta be a GTA character that does coke, and alot of it. Sorry don't know why I'm just now noticing this.

Magic_Al
  • Magic_Al

Boss

• Members

Posted 05 September 2009 - 03:32 AM

QUOTE (SirPsychoSexy @ Sep 4 2009, 18:19)

Technically, it depends whether the parachute is a fully integrated inventory item like in San Andreas, or a minigame triggered by entering a marker, like the bat-on-bike in TLAD races. A minigame setup would limit the parachute to missions and designated base-jumping locations.

A hopeful sign that GTA IV's inventory system is up to the task of a 24/7 parachute is that the handling required is similar to Packie's car bomb -- you can pick it up, carry it around in a special extra inventory slot, and go anywhere to deploy it. Plus the fact that Rockstar did the parachute before in San Andreas -- it's hard to believe they'd trip over their own code now.

Money Over Bullshit
  • Money Over Bullshit

Mack Militant

• Members

Posted 05 September 2009 - 10:21 AM

QUOTE (II J0SePh X II @ Sep 5 2009, 00:35)
Hmm...what I`d like to see revalated at the episodic beginnings, is the directional timeframe of a Bellic/McReary diamond/ counterfeit import. The kind that would facilitate an inclusion of a Klebbitz intrusion, eplaining a correctional facilitation of an Irish Jon, and notwithstanding teh execution of a Mafia Don.

Edit: and Base Jumping icon14.gif

I think something like that would make a really good scene. Like we see the Diamonds being brought from wherever they came from and then loaded onto the Platypus then the cook steals them a la GTA IV opening. I think it would be best off stopping there though as the rest of the Ballad will tell the rest of the Diamond story quite well and will add to the whole thing of the "story unfolding before your eyes"

The revelation could just relate to one character though. Like we see Brucie kissing a dude in Hercules or sumtin lol biggrin.gif

nellypellit
  • nellypellit

If you stare at the dancing kitteh for 20 seconds you will die&a

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 September 2009 - 10:27 AM

QUOTE (Money Over Bullsh*t @ Sep 4 2009, 23:36)

• Over the course of the Story Luis and Tony will "through, stupidity, get into very, very dangerous waters.

what dp you mean dangerous waters do you mean sharks happy.gif or just a saying

Money Over Bullshit
  • Money Over Bullshit

Mack Militant

• Members

Posted 05 September 2009 - 10:32 AM

QUOTE (nellypellit @ Sep 5 2009, 10:27)
QUOTE (Money Over Bullsh*t @ Sep 4 2009, 23:36)

• Over the course of the Story Luis and Tony will "through, stupidity, get into very, very dangerous waters.

what dp you mean dangerous waters do you mean sharks happy.gif or just a saying

It basicly means that they get involved in very dangerous situations that could get them killed.

I think this is a Reference to their dealings with Ray Bulgarin.

Rucke
  • Rucke

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 05 September 2009 - 10:47 AM

I love to read the Dan Houser interviews. He really know how to but it right; he's giving us some interesting information, but without revealing too much. That's great. I liked the answer of the "So, how do you hope that players will feel about GTA IV with and the two downloadable episodes as a whole? What do you hope they experience or think?" question. That's exactly what I think of the GTA IV series. It's really cool to see how the stories interfere with each other.

Great interview!

ArcaneKnight
  • ArcaneKnight

Unf*ckwitable

• Members

Posted 05 September 2009 - 10:54 AM

Cool. Looks like Luis starts off slow as a club bouncer, then works his way up to personal bodyguard, then manager of the clubs, then I wouldnt be surprised if Gay Tony gets murdered, and Luis takes over his club empire, and all of his assets. Should be interesting to see how everything unfolds.

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• The Yardies

Posted 05 September 2009 - 11:12 AM

QUOTE (Money Over Bullsh*t @ Sep 5 2009, 10:21)

The revelation could just relate to one character though. Like we see Brucie kissing a dude in Hercules or sumtin lol biggrin.gif

There`s so many things I`d like to see revealed:

Are the McRearys involved in the diamonds?

What happens to Luis at the bank?

Brucie & French Tom?

Bryce`s Infernus (will that appear?)

Torres Cartel - Are the NDD involved?

ScotchMouth
  • ScotchMouth

Single malt no ice

• Members

Posted 05 September 2009 - 11:48 AM

Thanks MOB for linking this. I always enjoy interviews from the boys!

Money Over Bullshit
  • Money Over Bullshit

Mack Militant

• Members

Posted 05 September 2009 - 07:46 PM

Brucie & French Tom?

That would be so Funny if they were a couple and Brucie wanted him dead because he treatened to reveal his "secret" I doubt it will feature in this game though as there's a 99% chance Tom Rivas dies before the story starts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users