193 replies to this topic
NTAuthority
  • NTAuthority

member_title

• Feroci Racing
  • European-Union
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 01 September 2009 - 10:16 AM Edited by NTAuthority, 15 March 2010 - 08:54 AM.

LATEST UPDATES

This modification is another Vice City conversion for San Andreas. As I need a reusable Vice map for a future project of mine -- and San Vice absolutely does not allow redistribution -- I decided to convert one myself.

Note that this modification is not directly meant for players to play with (though you can). Instead, it's meant as a base for other modifications. In fact, once it's released, you may do anything you want with the map, as long as you credit me for the base Vice map conversion if you redistribute it. smile.gif This mod also uses the normal SA generics, by the way. tounge.gif

Things left to do before release

- Fix some alpha/LOD glitches
- Fix broken IPLs (mansion.ipl and others)
- Create paths (could use some help smile.gif )
- Create radar TXDs/zone name files
- (in a later release) convert 2dfx

Screenshots

http://dotbas.net/img/openvice-1.png
http://dotbas.net/img/openvice-2.png
http://dotbas.net/img/openvice-3.png
http://dotbas.net/img/openvice-4.png

KingBulleT 8747
  • KingBulleT 8747

LOL

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 September 2009 - 10:48 AM Edited by KingBulleT 8747, 01 September 2009 - 12:00 PM.

>>> By KingBulleT8747: Removed hilarious post from PatrickW <<<

NTAuthority
  • NTAuthority

member_title

• Feroci Racing
  • European-Union

Posted 01 September 2009 - 10:54 AM

QUOTE (KingBulleT 8747 @ Sep 1 2009, 12:48)
[facepalm image]

Huge quote and facepalm image... what's the reason? tounge.gif

Cheetah_dot_chi
  • Cheetah_dot_chi

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 01 September 2009 - 11:25 AM

Nice.. colgate.gif

Ruffio
  • Ruffio

Rage quited

• Members

Posted 01 September 2009 - 11:50 AM

Good Job icon14.gif
cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif

ParoXum
  • ParoXum

Proud PC Gamer

• Feroci Racing
  • None
  • Best Texture/Model 2013 "SRt3 2012 Mipmap Edition"

Posted 01 September 2009 - 12:25 PM

Must be the thousandth Vice City Convertion ever.. HOW BORING GUYS, YOU DONT HAVE ANY CREATIVITY AT ALL HERE !

DAMNIT.

I, too will facepalm now.

user posted image

kimr120
  • kimr120

Hustler

• Members

Posted 01 September 2009 - 12:46 PM

well atleast can this dude do something without abandon it
(yes im talking about gostown that some dumbass manage to delete on his/her computer) notify.gif

NTAuthority
  • NTAuthority

member_title

• Feroci Racing
  • European-Union

Posted 01 September 2009 - 12:49 PM

QUOTE (ParoXum @ Sep 1 2009, 14:25)
Must be the thousandth Vice City Convertion ever.. HOW BORING GUYS, YOU DONT HAVE ANY CREATIVITY AT ALL HERE !

DAMNIT.

You don't even know the goal of this project? smile.gif It's just to have a reusable map of Vice City, not even to convert everything. The 'future project' I'm talking about will have a bit more answers about this... I could've also kept this map exclusive for that one project since I needed a reusable VC map in SA for that one. wink.gif

By the way: http://i150.photobuc...pleFacePalm.jpg biggrin.gif

Kowaah
  • Kowaah

Pseudo-Rendered

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 September 2009 - 12:51 PM

Nice dude, if you need cars with sa engines and crap, i can do that. smile.gif

Flat Face
  • Flat Face

TeamRising will rise and make the inferior our slaves.

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 September 2009 - 01:20 PM

QUOTE (kimr120 @ Sep 1 2009, 12:46)
(yes im talking about gostown that some dumbass manage to delete on his/her computer) notify.gif

This....

This guy has done a great job of this, And is almost finished it completely.. Great job dude smile.gif

And Parox.. youu don't have the right to "facepalm" when someone has completed a good mod for a good reason.. he needed to remake it as the other mod wouldn't allow him to use their map...

Am i the only one who's lost a LOT of respect for P recently?

Kowaah
  • Kowaah

Pseudo-Rendered

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 September 2009 - 01:28 PM

QUOTE (Flat Face @ Sep 1 2009, 13:20)
Am i the only one who's lost a LOT of respect for P recently?

Why recently? He goes down for long time, dude.

txdeditor
  • txdeditor

• Members

Posted 01 September 2009 - 01:48 PM

In fact, once it's released, you may do anything you want with the map, as long as you credit me for the base Vice map conversion if you redistribute it.  smile.gif

This is really good, and i respect you for this, Ive started a project too, but i couldn't find a map i can use. Well this is completely for me.
Thanks .

JostVice
  • JostVice

realtime, not prerendered

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 01 September 2009 - 02:11 PM

goddamnit, I don't want to hijack the topic but you guys can't say that its good to have even another vice city conversion, even if it will be used for whatever it will be used.

not much originality.

i love this community

supermortalhuman
  • supermortalhuman

522A4EA9

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 September 2009 - 02:25 PM Edited by supermortalhuman, 01 September 2009 - 02:27 PM.

Another one? First, I don't have to credit ANYONE for using a Vice City map other than Rockstar Games, converted or not, but of course I would credit people.

Second, there is no second I guess. Why didn't you just start with San Vice or something before you start your Vice City HD mod that others and I decided against doing a while ago? It was being thrown around as an idea... I implore you: Make something original so you are not stuck on this platform forever.

The difference between these mods and gostown is that gostown can be in a real game if it wants to, this can not.

Maybe you already asked those people (even though you DONT have to ask permission to use ROCKSTAR models from anyone but them, and they don't care if you forward port, no matter who touched them, they don't own them, only Rockstar does) out of respect and they said now. Valiant of you to do this, but let us know why already wink.gif

Kowaah
  • Kowaah

Pseudo-Rendered

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 September 2009 - 02:42 PM

SMH, if he does take san vice without caring about perm, i doubt gtaf, or other gta forums will allow him to post it. Except stealer lovers-ricers.

Narcis_speed6
  • Narcis_speed6

The Saint

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Talented [Expression] 2012
    Most Helpful [Expression] 2012
    Most Helpful 2011
    Most Talented [Expression] 2011
    Most Helpful [Expression] 2011
    Best Member in a Group 2011
    Most Helpful [GTA Series] 2011
    Most Respected 2010
    Most Helpful 2010
    Most Talented [Visual Arts] 2010
    Most Helpful [Visual Arts] 2010
    Most Helpful [GTA Series] 2010

Posted 01 September 2009 - 02:46 PM

dudes, dudes calm down, he maked it, who need's it, is gonna use it...good job NT

NTAuthority
  • NTAuthority

member_title

• Feroci Racing
  • European-Union

Posted 01 September 2009 - 02:50 PM

QUOTE (supermortalhuman @ Sep 1 2009, 16:25)
Another one? First, I don't have to credit ANYONE for using a Vice City map other than Rockstar Games, converted or not, but of course I would credit people.

Nothing to add to this part, it's indeed a fact. smile.gif (though it's mostly the upgrading that's the reason for it)

Second, there is no second I guess. Why didn't you just start with San Vice or something before you start your Vice City HD mod that others and I decided against doing a while ago? It was being thrown around as an idea...

It's not a map project. Read below for details.

I implore you: Make something original so you are not stuck on this platform forever. The difference between these mods and gostown is that gostown can be in a real game if it wants to, this can not.

I have absolutely no interest in ever developing games with anything other than arcade gameplay... at least, not in the next decade or so. smile.gif Again, read below for details.

Maybe you already asked those people (even though you DONT have to ask permission to use ROCKSTAR models from anyone but them, and they don't care if you forward port, no matter who touched them, they don't own them, only Rockstar does) out of respect and they said now.

The San Vice developers are going to protest at every single thing that uses their conversion as a base and redistributes it, because of some unmentioned 'bad past experiences'. Again, not everything in the map part of San Vice is made by R*, the altered vertex colors for example (though that's just a tiny thing).

Valiant of you to do this, but let us know why already wink.gif

I'm creating a advanced gameplay modification for the SA engine -- a new game using the SA engine and assets as a base... I'm a programmer, not an artist (or somebody who can think up completely original ideas) -- and am planning to have the second part take place in the VC map. For ease of integration and reusing of code made for the SA engine, it's a lot easier to convert the VC map to the SA engine instead of porting the modification to the more limited VC engine.

And don't think the mod is just like the 'normal' scripting modifications you've seen... it isn't. smile.gif

(note to self: creating something that's already done indeed nets you more replies and constructive posts. that's why all the '[insert player character] can pee' mods seem to be very popular...)

Narcis_speed6
  • Narcis_speed6

The Saint

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Talented [Expression] 2012
    Most Helpful [Expression] 2012
    Most Helpful 2011
    Most Talented [Expression] 2011
    Most Helpful [Expression] 2011
    Best Member in a Group 2011
    Most Helpful [GTA Series] 2011
    Most Respected 2010
    Most Helpful 2010
    Most Talented [Visual Arts] 2010
    Most Helpful [Visual Arts] 2010
    Most Helpful [GTA Series] 2010

Posted 01 September 2009 - 02:52 PM Edited by Narcis_speed6, 01 September 2009 - 02:57 PM.

well paroXum, he maked this for those who want to base their mod onto vice, atleast he is ok with giving it, but if someone would ask you about Gostown's vice i doubt you will give it suicidal.gif
paroxum- or when i 'borrowed' one texture from your seabed, you dudes wherent ok but how about if i would borrow the whole city?

Flat Face
  • Flat Face

TeamRising will rise and make the inferior our slaves.

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 September 2009 - 02:57 PM

This guy has truly done this for the community, i wish there was an argument forum for us to argue in rather than having half ontopic and offtopic posts in here confused.gif

And now the ontopic half..

When will your other project surface?

supermortalhuman
  • supermortalhuman

522A4EA9

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 September 2009 - 04:10 PM

Same question as FF, sounds like it will be really good and by a dedicated person, I'm glad I asked all daftly enough to garner a matter-of-fact response <3

Programmer, not an artist, you say? We should talk, PM me some time, because code makes me puke, but polygons are fun times. biggrin.gif

If I ever use a Vice City on SA, it will be yours. You mentioned upgraded - HD Vice City? Or other things? Nice note to self lol, it appears true. Negative publicity is often gold.

Goldkiller
  • Goldkiller

San Vice Team

• Members

Posted 01 September 2009 - 08:46 PM

Uhmmm...
The San Vice developers are going to protest at every single thing that uses their conversion as a base and redistributes it, because of some unmentioned 'bad past experiences'.

Of course,we have no better things to do dozingoff.gif ...

There was a mod,I'm not sure what the name was.Something like VCS for San Andreas I guess.They compelety took our work and represented it as "their own work".
However,you are not the first one who asked for permission.We decided,not to give some other people / teams our mod, to base their mod on it.
Meaning,we gave no one permission to ever use it as a base.It was our decision.
Remember,we spend a lot of time on it,about 1/2 years.

To keep this post a bit on topic,
I will definitly test OpenVice when you will release it.Will be interesting to see how you fixed some mistakes in Vice City.Keep it up,looks quite good on the screenshots.
Good luck on it.

ps.This is my first and last post in this topic

riquenunes
  • riquenunes

Soldier

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 01 September 2009 - 11:08 PM

I'm liking this mod, I was wanted to play vice city on SA engine.
I mean... San Vice was always crashing and had a different and weird storyline.

I just hope a bigger project is gonna be born after you release it (from another author, I mean..), just like "GTA: Liberty City", It was great to play in liberty city on a newer engine.
IMO vice city is the best GTA III era game, of course it doesn't have all the features from San Andreas, but I just love the "feeling" of the game, the radios, the characters...

kimr120
  • kimr120

Hustler

• Members

Posted 02 September 2009 - 01:33 PM

well i will maybe use this to use with custom missions

ViceDiaz
  • ViceDiaz

Rockstar USA Leader

• Members

Posted 03 September 2009 - 06:05 PM

Nice Work

l911
  • l911

ⒶⓌⒺⓈⓄⓂⒺ

• Members

Posted 03 September 2009 - 06:29 PM

GOOOOOOD WOORK !
I can Wait for mod on this map!
But do you gona make peds and cars driving and walking the streets (its called somthing like P... rolleyes.gif )

_CP_
  • _CP_

Group: Vice City Stories team

• Feroci Racing
  • Poland
  • Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 03 September 2009 - 06:52 PM

Please, use prelighting, map without it looks sh*tty.

QUOTE (ParoXum)

DAMNIT.

I, too will facepalm now.
[facepalm shot]

+1 I saw very much conversion of VC map to SA engine, try to start with own city. Own city made by modeling will be 100x better than another conversion of this map.

ScratchCard
  • ScratchCard

Arc.

• Members

Posted 03 September 2009 - 06:58 PM

Looks good smile.gif

Hopefully this will, unlike San Vice, allow crashfree free roaming of the city.. tounge.gif

ViceDiaz
  • ViceDiaz

Rockstar USA Leader

• Members

Posted 03 September 2009 - 11:18 PM

QUOTE (ScratchCard @ Sep 3 2009, 13:58)
Looks good smile.gif

Hopefully this will, unlike San Vice, allow crashfree free roaming of the city.. tounge.gif

I have to agree too.SanVice crashed way too much.

Quadropheniac90
  • Quadropheniac90

Confused Clown

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 04 September 2009 - 08:27 AM

Both sides make good points.

Paroxum, stop bitching at people for doing stuff that might not be as original as scratch made models, I mean, it's his goddamned free time isn't it?

The goal for this sounds very interesting. smile.gif Good luck.

Grove Street Boy
  • Grove Street Boy

Maggot for life!

• Members

Posted 06 September 2009 - 09:42 AM

nice idea! I like the idea of an Open Source conversion as that would bring more great ideas to the game. But I do have one suggestion. Would you wanna try adding it to San Andreas rather than replacing? With tools like SA Limit Adjuster 8 i can see this is highly possible as the limit of collision meshes and IDE entries can be cracked easily, and even the borders of the SA map can be expanded so that objects can be placed outside of the original SA map. This is something you can look into wink.gif It would be cool to have both games in one. tounge.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users