Megadeth

40 replies to this topic
Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 27 August 2009 - 07:51 PM

Time for a new thread, as there are several for METALLICA, their long time ARCH Rivals Megadeth should get some spotlight. I am in a hurry at present, but I plan to add a number of quotes from THRASH Guitar, a Guitar World special issue, it went to press as Anthrax, Slayer and Megadeth were embarking on their legendary CLASH OF THE TITANS tour, so a round-table interview took place as well as one with Dave Jr and Dave Mustaine about the trials of the band to that point, and their new album. Rust in Peace had gotten critical acclaim at this point, but the band were still bitter over Metallica's success. Dave was trying to recover from his drug adled past, but we all know, he fell a few more times before he succeeded. Feel free to post favorite tracks, members over the course of the band's life, and albums that you feel are MUST OWNs.
What shows were you able to see?

I got to see Clash of the Titans, where Alice in Chains opened, and here they are now, returning to our State without their original vocalist, the times, they have a changed.

Megadeth are embarking on their own new chapter, and I wonder, what does the future hold for them. At the time this publication came out, Nick Menza was on drums and Marty Friedman had joined on guitar, I saw them most with that lineup

TheJonesy
  • TheJonesy

Carry on.

• Members

Posted 27 August 2009 - 07:55 PM

Most of my guitar playing is influenced by Megadeth; they are primarily what I listen to. I'm looking forward to their new album.

Nixon
  • Nixon

Tricky Dicky

• Members

Posted 27 August 2009 - 08:09 PM Edited by Nixon, 27 August 2009 - 08:12 PM.

The new song This Day We Fight is a f*ckin killer song. Heavy as hell with blistering solos.

I think Endgame will be one of their best and f*ck all the haters who deride them just becasue they're an oldband doing new things.

I'm with the above poster, my playing is primarily influenced by Dave and Co. Mainly Dave's insane rhythms.

ceedj
  • ceedj

PEDS Creator

• Members

Posted 27 August 2009 - 08:15 PM

QUOTE (Slamman @ Aug 27 2009, 15:51)
I got to see Clash of the Titans, where Alice in Chains opened, and here they are now, returning to our State without their original vocalist, the times, they have a changed.

That was my very first concert. I remember very clearly that the 3 headliners (Anthrax, Megadeth and Slayer) all drew straws to see who would go on first for the tour. At my stop, it was Slayer, which was pretty funny, as NO one in our area expected that. First song, a handful of people. End of the second song, place was packed.

Anyway, loved Rust in Peace; to me, this was Dave's crowning jewel. Countdown was their "Black" album, and all the rest since then have sounded the same to me. But Rust is a fantastic album.

@Nixon - AHHHHHHHHHHHHH, it's helloween!

Ah, good times. smile.gif

Nixon
  • Nixon

Tricky Dicky

• Members

Posted 27 August 2009 - 08:18 PM

QUOTE (ceedj @ Aug 27 2009, 21:15)
@Nixon - AHHHHHHHHHHHHH, it's helloween!

Ah, good times. smile.gif

Keeper of the Seven Keys I & II dude. smile.gif

To me So Far, So Good, So What! is megadeth's most underrated album in their entire back catalogue. Songs like 502 and Mary Jane are some of Dave's best.

TheJonesy
  • TheJonesy

Carry on.

• Members

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:20 PM

My favorite Megadeth song has always been Good Mourning/Black Friday. I mean, no matter what mood I am in, the way it builds itself up never fails. Plus the guitars are the sh*t; you start off with this nice run and end it with a huge migraine from immense head-banging.

I'm also not afraid to say that they - thankfully - introduced me to Marty Freidman. icon14.gif

SagaciousKJB
  • SagaciousKJB

Captain tl;dr

• The Connection

Posted 28 August 2009 - 02:01 AM

Personally, I always wish Kirk Hammet would have joined up with him or something. Kill 'Em All was some of the best thrash that I've heard, and Mustaine wrote most of it, but the solos that Hammet did for No Remorse, Jump in the Fire, etc. They were better than almost all of the solos I've heard in Megadeth's career. Well not "better", but I liked them more.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 28 August 2009 - 09:50 AM

Mustaine hated Kirk, and eventually, the two bands performed a gig together, but in Some Kind of Monster, the outtakes on the DVD show Mustaine blowing up at Lars. When he was fired, he did go back to Cali but the whole way he was stewing.
Now he appears on Drew Carrey's show and this thing, what is this thing???

Sorry, this is for LAUGHS, but I'll add some quoted replies to questions in the magazine I mention. I was watching the Feb 84 boot that's out of Megadeth's show in San Fran, where Kerry King joined the band on guitar. Most of the camera work is aimed at Dave for the 45 minute show

Starion
  • Starion

hmm..

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 01 September 2009 - 04:47 PM

The albums been leaked.

I've got it, and I'm very very impressed, I've enjoyed this way more than United Abominations.

I'm so gonna be buying this, it's way better than I expected.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 01 September 2009 - 06:05 PM

Sounds good, United was probably better live anyway, and I enjoyed their live gig last time around, it was non stop, no breaks between songs! Dave was on a role! I liked the RISK album, BTW, while most were iffy about it.

TheJonesy
  • TheJonesy

Carry on.

• Members

Posted 01 September 2009 - 07:22 PM

I've only heard "Headcrusher" so far and I thought that although it isn't exactly up there with some of their more brilliant works, it's still kickass; they haven't lost a thing. But I've also heard that it is only the tip of the iceberg...

Canoxa
  • Canoxa

Woosh.

• Zaibatsu

Posted 01 September 2009 - 11:58 PM

Well, Broderick wouldn't allow it any other way.

rhyn
  • rhyn

SRS BSNS

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 02 September 2009 - 12:04 AM

The new album is actually just plain excellent, gotta be in the running for album of the year.

Nixon
  • Nixon

Tricky Dicky

• Members

Posted 02 September 2009 - 12:23 AM

The Hardest Part Of Letting Go...Sealed With a Kiss and The Right To Go Insane are the two songs that are realling doind it for me as of now.

Broderick solos like a mad genius, Drover's drumming is unreal, Lomenzo's bass is right up in the mix which is awesome and Dave's riffing...well, it's Mustaine.

I'd give the album an 8.5/10.

Groovy
  • Groovy

General

• The Connection

Posted 02 September 2009 - 01:21 AM

Listened to the new album twice last night, tis pretty piss poor. Drover is a lazy f*cking drummer who doesnt do anything interesting, production is typical sterile Sneap hogwash, Dave's lyrics are god awful as is his vocals and Broderkick noodles around the whole time.

About as bad as UA I'd say, I'll be sticking with the first 4 albums.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:56 AM

Well, Groovy, I am not passing a harsh review as of yet, I love the early stuff, and RISK as mentioned is pretty catchy, but I know from the live show, it was good enough, but in recent years, it's harder to get that 90s groove back, that MD was on. I met Dave Mustaine in person after a show in 1995, and after that meet I was told he was still battling drug use, and his life wasn't all positive at that point. Still, it was a dream meet!

Jay
  • Jay

1984 - 2011

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 02 September 2009 - 10:00 AM

Anyone heard the new album that leaked?

Furthermore would you recommend it?

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 02 September 2009 - 06:11 PM Edited by Slamman, 02 September 2009 - 09:28 PM.

A few already commented! haha ^

I walked into my friend's house, he had a guest and his wife showed up later, but he happened to be playing Megadeth on the big screen projector he owns, but not sure what video package it is. I lacked the funds to buy their last boxset, which appears to be pretty cool. I wound up with Capital Punishment used, even though I hate collecting previous stuff over and over again

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 18 September 2009 - 04:03 PM

Literally BUMPing this, but I want to highlight that the current MEGADAVE, er, MegaDeth.

Appeared last night on Jimmy Fallon's talk show on NBC in the US. The show he hosts had The Roots as self proclaimed best band in the World, obviously not seriously. This came as a shock, that being MEGADETH on the show, as they breaked for commercials, I went to another room, whien I came back, MD were already in song! I quickly pressed record to get what I could, but it was far too short! The stereo sound was excellent, they could have performed a full set and been amazing! I hate that it was such a seemingly short track. Would anyone try uploading to YT? I doubt NBC would allow it.

Blackadder.
  • Blackadder.

Luck. Runs. Out.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 18 September 2009 - 06:41 PM

I still gotta check out Endgame, but Devil's Island is probably my favourite Megadeth song right now. I'll have to see if anything off Endgame comes close. smile.gif

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 18 September 2009 - 06:53 PM

If you guys want to see the TV footage, I could put it on LiveVideo, but for YT, I'm sure they'd yank it

Nixon
  • Nixon

Tricky Dicky

• Members

Posted 18 September 2009 - 07:28 PM Edited by Nixon, 18 September 2009 - 07:46 PM.

There you go Slamman. I personally thought the sound was complete balls. The guitars are barley audible and the bass is pounding out above everything else. Also, the song seemed quite slow compared to the album version. Still, they are starting to get a lot of publicity.

And the new album is damn f*cking good, best one since Countdown To Extinction in my opinion. f*ck all the naysayers, I can't wait until they come back to Ireland. wow.gif

Oh, and it's a bit weird seeing Dave with anything other than a Flying V. He's using the new Dean Zero model in the above footage, a type of Explorer.

TheJonesy
  • TheJonesy

Carry on.

• Members

Posted 18 September 2009 - 07:39 PM

Ha ha, it is odd; Dave's guitar was the first thing I noticed.

Nixon
  • Nixon

Tricky Dicky

• Members

Posted 18 September 2009 - 07:45 PM

QUOTE (TheJonesy @ Sep 18 2009, 20:39)

I'd say the people over at the Metallica forums are having a field day with the fact Mustaine is using an Explorer. 'lolz MUSTANG has not gotten over being kicked out lol, he still wants to be JAYMZ HETFIELD!11'

Seriously, has anyone ever gone on the Metallica forums? Worst forums ever.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 18 September 2009 - 11:01 PM Edited by Slamman, 18 September 2009 - 11:11 PM.

Davey Mustainiac, he's playing his new Dean endorsement now.

DEAN (Z.) is pretty amazing considering it's meteoric rise to fame, during the 78/79 to 83 period I believe is the earliest. I remember Triumph and Rik Emmet with his at US Festival, 1982, the dinky Explorer! Better then the other axe he signed on to endorse. Once when using his Bich guitars, he thanked Bernie Rico for his Dethly Guitars, and I think that was pretty cool. Since they couldn't pay people to play the handmade series, Dave took the funds instead, they all needed money with their drug intake.

Good to see he came out the other end. I'll have to treat you to the HDTV stereo sound, even from the budget cheapie decoder box I was taping from it sounded great to me.

I know for Metallica, Explorers and Vs, the Gibbos were common among even Hammett and Hetfield, alternating. For Kirk, I'm sure Michael Schenker again was an influence, but he gravitated to the Strat ESP series.

The Explorer always looked good to me, but I've never owned one. I did own a V and it wasn't quite right, but the Jackson Rhoads is much better for me personally

TheJonesy
  • TheJonesy

Carry on.

• Members

Posted 19 September 2009 - 11:52 AM

QUOTE (Nixon @ Sep 18 2009, 19:45)
QUOTE (TheJonesy @ Sep 18 2009, 20:39)

I'd say the people over at the Metallica forums are having a field day with the fact Mustaine is using an Explorer. 'lolz MUSTANG has not gotten over being kicked out lol, he still wants to be JAYMZ HETFIELD!11'

Seriously, has anyone ever gone on the Metallica forums? Worst forums ever.

Ha ha, wow. Too bad most of the members there are probably little angsty teens who think they know metal...

Canoxa
  • Canoxa

Woosh.

• Zaibatsu

Posted 19 September 2009 - 01:40 PM

I liked that. Let's see how the album clings with me.

Dave looks badass with an Explorer. Weird, but badass.

Nixon
  • Nixon

Tricky Dicky

• Members

Posted 19 September 2009 - 01:54 PM Edited by Nixon, 19 September 2009 - 02:53 PM.

There was rumours going around that Lars Ulrich is working on orchestrating a Big Four Tour, these rumours were confirmed a few days ago by Rob Trujillo of Metallica.

What are your thoughts on this possible Big Four Tour? Mustaine and Slayer seem to have patched up their differences judging by their recent and touring in Canada and future shows in Australia/New Zealand. Dave says he's at peace with the whole Metallica thing now too. So it seems all the rifts have been settled but will this tour be able to handle all the ego's? I.e What order the bands play in etc. Metallica will obviously be head-liners if it happens and I'd wager Megadeth play 2nd place, Slayer 3rd and Anthrax 4th (if they can get their f*ckin sh*t together that is).

If this tour did happen I would be in musical heaven. inlove.gif

Moonshield
  • Moonshield

amplifier worship

• Mongolia

Posted 19 September 2009 - 02:26 PM

I'd rather see Testament than all four of those guys. But seeing Anthrax would be pretty awesome.

Nixon
  • Nixon

Tricky Dicky

• Members

Posted 19 September 2009 - 02:53 PM Edited by Nixon, 19 September 2009 - 02:56 PM.

QUOTE (Moonshield @ Sep 19 2009, 15:26)
I'd rather see Testament than all four of those guys. But seeing Anthrax would be pretty awesome.

It would be very cool if Testament and Exodus were added to the bill as very special guests or something. You can't really leave either of those two out of a Thrash event as monumental as this. If it happens, that is.

I saw Testament at Priest Feast earlier this year, they only played a 40 minute set and most of it was the new stuff. Plus, I missed half of Over The Wall thanks to dumb ass event staff. I really need to see them do a gig of their own.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users