Photo

cant get 360 pad working

10 replies to this topic
hoolio22g
  • hoolio22g

Rat

• Members

Posted 23 August 2009 - 04:47 PM

Im itching to try the new release of MTA,but Ive reinstalled the game but it just doesnt wanna regonise my cordless 360 pad.Yes I know its a PC game, so I dont need the 'play it with mouse and keyboard' crap thanks.Ive been playing GTA since the start on consoles so its the only way I know how to play alien.gif

I have done the obvious,but that didnt work any suggestions please.
Thanks!

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 23 August 2009 - 05:07 PM

Play it with a mouse and keyboard. moto_whistle.gif

No seriously, it's meant to be played with a mouse and keyboard, just like all other PC games starting from the very first one. wink.gif
But I guess all you new gen kids will not understand the coolness quotient of that. tounge.gif

Anyways, coming to your problem, was the game able to recognize your controller before the reinstall? If yes, try deleting the gta_sa.set file from the User Files folder.
This is, of course, assuming you've chosen 'Joystick' from the Controller Configuration options.

SAAC might also help.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [San Andreas]

Posted 23 August 2009 - 05:42 PM Edited by lil weasel, 23 August 2009 - 06:05 PM.

I differ... The game was Designed for the GamePad, It was Adapted for the Keyboard & Mouse.

To solve a lot of problems with the Console controllers (Xbox & PS3)
which have special purpose buttons unlike the ordinary buttons on a common USB gamepad (Logitech & Seitek) Just do a GOOGLE for

360 control GTA:SA.

You should find a page of fix/how to's.
Adapting a Console control to a PC game can be difficult as the response to thier buttons arn't the same as a generic gamepad.

My Logitech Dual Action worked straight from the box without any special drivers. I had the Seiteck first it worked too, but only had 10 button.

Only talking about the GTA:SA here, the other games are something else.

If you want to play a real K&M game get a DOS machine and try the TEX MURPHY series, and of course the ULTIMA VII a & b games.
Those were top hole in the day.

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 23 August 2009 - 05:49 PM

QUOTE (lil weasel @ Aug 23 2009, 23:12)
I differ... The game was Designed for the GamePad, It was Adapted for the Keyboard & Mouse.

And that's the reason why so many people have had troubles getting their controllers to work with the game? tounge.gif

Your statement could be true for GTA IV, but the PC versions of III, Vice City and San Andreas were specifically made keeping in mind the mouse-keyboard combination. I'll take this moment to thank Rockstar North for that (something that R* Toronto failed at). This is one of the prime reasons why the joystick mapping is f*cked up and players are forced to use third party applications like SAAC to re-map the joystick buttons and axis.

hoolio22g
  • hoolio22g

Rat

• Members

Posted 23 August 2009 - 05:51 PM

CHEERS!! I'll take a look and see whats what!!

GTA is designed for a pad,has been since day one.
And trust me Im a bit too old to be a 'new gen kid' as you put it,so I understand the value of a mouse and keyboard.But GTA has too many buttons,and Im too lazy to move my hands around all the time.And I first started playing GTA on the PS1,so its just what Im used too turn.gif

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 23 August 2009 - 06:11 PM

QUOTE (hoolio22g @ Aug 23 2009, 23:21)
GTA is designed for a pad,has been since day one.

You probably think that because you've been playing with a joystick. But when porting the games to PC, R* North took proper care to ensure that the game was fully compatible with the mouse & keyboard combo rather than a joystick. They just assumed that the game would work with a joystick since it was ported from the Xbox, but that wasn't really the case and a lot of players faced various issues with joysticks...atleast until SAAC came along.

I'll agree with you if you're talking about GTA IV though. They never gave as much thought to the keyboard-mouse combo for that game and the key mappings are bloody awful.

QUOTE (hoolio22g @ Aug 23 2009, 23:21)
And I first started playing GTA on the PS1,so its just what Im used too turn.gif

Ahh see, I never played the game on a console or with a joystick. I have always been a PC guy. I'll attribute that to me being too poor to afford or even think of a console. tounge.gif

Anyways, let us know if you got your issue resolved.

hoolio22g
  • hoolio22g

Rat

• Members

Posted 25 August 2009 - 10:01 AM

This is proving impossible!
Ive downloaded and installed the san andreas advanced control mod version 1.1 and 1.2,and downloaded and installed a decent map for the buttons.But now when I try and launch the game it just crashes before it gets to the loading screen.Anyone here ever got this thing working,and got some suggestions.

All this hassle is making me love GFWL for its ease of use.

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 25 August 2009 - 10:05 AM

You mean it crashes if you use SAAC? Does the game work without it? Which version of the game do you have? Which OS do you have?

hoolio22g
  • hoolio22g

Rat

• Members

Posted 25 August 2009 - 10:08 AM Edited by hoolio22g, 25 August 2009 - 10:19 AM.

QUOTE (girishb @ Aug 25 2009, 10:05)
You mean it crashes if you use SAAC? Does the game work without it? Which version of the game do you have? Which OS do you have?

Blimey that was quick!
Yea game works fine without it,ive got the latest version of the game(which is why I tried both versions of the SAAC),and I use XP.

hang on cant remember if I updated the game suicidal.gif

version 1.01....hang on again something funny goin on here with the update

Right now Im well confused.Ive downloaded the 1.01(no more hot coffee) patch,and Im pointing the extractor to the gta_sa.exe.But it keeps saying old files do not exsist and it dont update.Im using the right version(EU) of the patch,is there another patch Im missing or something.Cause if I am I cant find it anywhere confused.gif

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 25 August 2009 - 10:23 AM

If you have version 2 of the game, the patch won't work. It's only for version 1 copies of the game. Besides, I'm not sure if SAAC would work with the v1.01 patch. If you have v2, try downgrading the game. Google for a 'downgrader patch'. It's not allowed to discuss it so I can't give you any more info on it.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [San Andreas]

Posted 25 August 2009 - 02:14 PM

I say get a USB Generic GamePad (12 button minimum) like, Sietek or Logitech Dual Action. The Console Gamepads arn't designed/programed to work well with PC machine games. As you see there is too much to work around.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users