» «
Photo

GTA IV's complete combat system move list

57 replies to this topic
NemonicLee
  • NemonicLee

Golden Ninja Warrior

• Members

Posted 17 August 2009 - 11:11 AM Edited by NemonicLee, 04 November 2010 - 06:30 AM.

Niko's Krav Maga Style Movelist, Version 7.0

The Xbox conversion legend can be found near the end of this list.

Un-armed Attacks

- Walk/Jog/Run + O.....Shove
- Walk/Jog/Run...........Auto-Shove person
...O.............................Headbutt/Standard Punch **

- Target (L2/R1) + Button...

R3..........................Zoom in on enemy*

Select.....................Change camera angle to a fixed angle

[]..........................Kick
[]...........................Grounding Kick¹
∆/O........................Grounding Punch¹

O,O,O ....................1,2 Jabs, Gut Punch

O,∆,∆.....................Jabs, Elbow
...∆........................into Swiping Fist
...[].......................into Knee
...O,O,O.................into Jab, Gut Punch, Bohan Kiss

O,∆,O.....................Jabs, Kidney Punch [Series]
...O........................into Cross
...∆,∆.....................into Jab, Elbow [Series]

O,[].......................Jab, Groin Kick

O,O,O or ∆,∆,∆........Lung Crusher, Elbow, Bohan Kiss³

∆,[]..........................Jab, Knee

∆,∆........................Jab, Elbow [Series]
......∆.....................into Gut Punch
......[]....................into Knee
......O,O,O..............into Jab, Gut Punch, Bohan Kiss

∆,O,∆......................Triple Cross
...∆,∆ or O,O............into Jab, Elbow
......∆......................into Bohan Kiss
......[].....................into Knee

∆,O,O,O..................Bohan Kiss Combo

Any Direction+[]...... Advancing Gut Kick²

¹ Opponent must be laying down or getting up.
² Opponent must be a out of a standing kick distance.
³ You must be very close to your enemy in order to get this attack to work.
* This technically is not an attack, it just changes the camera angle. You cannot use this when your character goes into "fight mode."
** You can follow up with a headbutt if your character's right arm auto-pushes the other character. The headbutt can only be done while your character is walking.

Baseball Bat Attacks

Jog/Run in Any Direction + O... Melee Whack

[]..................................Gut Kick
[O/∆].............................Crown Tap*
O,O................................Whack-a-Mole Combo
O,[]...............................Whack, Gut Kick
O,∆, (Release Target) ∆....Whack, Right Sweep and Upper Thrust
∆,(Release Target) ∆........Right Sweep and Upper Thrust
Any Direction+∆..............Advancing Crown Tap

*You must be close to your enemy in order for this attack to work.

Knife Attacks

CRUCIAL NOTE: The distance you are from an enemy will determine what type of attack your character will use.

- Jog/Run in Any Direction + O.......Knife Slash

∆................Chest Stab* [Series]
...∆,∆..........*Slash, Cheek Cutter
...∆,∆...........Face Slices
...∆,O...........Slash & Slice
...O.............*Gut Stab [Series]
...[].............Groin Kick

∆....................Advancing Stab
...∆,∆..............Face Slices
...∆................*Chest Stab [Series]
...∆,O.............Slash & Slice
...O................*Gut Stab [Series]
...[]................Groin Kick

O....................*Gut Stab [Series]
...O,O..............Overhead Stab, Final Gut Stab
...∆,∆..............Face Slices
...∆.................*Chest Stab [Series]
...[]................Knee

O,O..............Face Slicer Combo
...O..............Face Cutter
...∆,O...........Slash & Slice
...∆,∆...........Double Face Slicer Combo
...∆,∆...........*Slash, Cheek Cutter
...[].............Kick

*You must be close to your enemy in order for this attack to work.

Evade and Reversal Attacks

CRUCIAL NOTE #1: These are directions that you use if your character is facing right exactly.
CRUCIAL NOTE #2: Several users have made the claim that the PC version will use random reversal combos in place of the original designated button combinations (attacks) whenever you try to do a dodge attack. I'll try and find a way to test this out...

Target (L2/R1) + X.................Evasion (when timed with an attack) followed by...

Unarmed Reversal Attacks

...(Up,Down,Left)+[O/∆]......Face Jabs`
...Right+O.........................Jabs, Elbow
...Neutral+O......................Disarm Enemy with a Knife

`Face jabs are what your character may use on the enemy when the enemy has more than 7/8 of their life left.

Finishing Unarmed Reversal Attacks

...[Up/Right]+O....Body Jabs, Final Uppercut
...Down+O...........Jabs, Spinning Backhand
...Left+O.............Jabs, Spinning Kick

...Up+∆...............Jab, Face Kick, Final Clock
...Down+∆...........Uppercut, Kicks to the "Jenny's"
...Right+∆............Muay Thai Knees
...Left+∆..............Triple Jabs or Random Reversal Attack`

`While Triple Jabs can occur as a finishing counter attack, it is not a guaranteed outcome as it is technically a randomized counter attack.

Reversal Attacks with a Knife

...Any Direction+[O/∆].....Twisting Back Stab, K.O. Punches

Auto-Shove Attacks with the Knife or Bat

After colliding with another character (and after your character does an auto-push with their right arm), you can follow up with a stab or gut slam by pressing O.

Reversal Attacks with a Bat

...(Down-Left/Up)+[O/∆]........Gut Slam to Crown Tap
...(Left/Right/Down)+[O/∆].....Kidney Slam, Skull Smasher

Stun Punch Surprise Attack

This attack is only available to use during the mission "Clean Getaway" on the guy near the car you need to steal. It can also always be used on the body-copping guard in front of the Perestroika cabaret club. It can only be performed when Niko walks to the left of the person he is about to attack. When you see a small red square cursor instead of the typical big circle with life bars on the person, you will know that you can then perform the Stun Punch.

Target (L2/R1) + O......Stun Punch

Critical Strikes

A phenomenon I discovered during several testing sessions is a fatal, critical strike when attacking your enemies. Some pedestrians will die with only one strike to them. It can be used in offline, Party Mode and Free Mode. Additional testing may determine whether this can be used in other modes against human players.

UPDATE #2: It appears that strikes to the head can cause an instant death and that it is common enough to warrant not being classified as a glitch. You can critically strike pedestrians by hand or with a knife if you are careful about the direction and distance of the attack.

It works strangely though; you can successfully give a critical strike to your enemies mostly by being on higher ground than they are. They also occur more frequently with the knife. Make sure that you hold down the attack button when you do it, though.

Target (L2/R1) + O....Critical Strike (Knife)
Target (L2/R1) + O....Critical Strike (Advancing Jab)

~~~~~

These are symbols that are used on the PS3 dual shock controller. If you want to mentally convert this move list so that it represents your Xbox system platform, you can do so using this legend:

[] = X
∆ = Y
X = A
O = B

~~~~~

Credits:

Stink_Fist, for the combo video.
King of Monra, for the additional combos not in the above combo video.
CryptReaperDorian, for proving that this list of attacks was indeed not complete previously. tounge.gif
RATCHET12345 for the knife disarm move.
Anyone who has contributed in this thread who I have not mentioned yet.

Stink_Fist
  • Stink_Fist

Goo Goo G'Joob

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:23 AM

I found this video here. Haven't watched all of it but seems like what your looking for:
http://www.gametrail...o-combos/228445

Saddletank
  • Saddletank

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 August 2009 - 10:03 AM

Nice. Didn't know any of that. I use the baseball bat a lot but I clearly need to go find a quiet beach and practice my moves.

NemonicLee
  • NemonicLee

Golden Ninja Warrior

• Members

Posted 22 August 2009 - 09:32 AM

QUOTE (Stink_Fist @ Aug 19 2009, 06:23)
I found this video here. Haven't watched all of it but seems like what your looking for:
http://www.gametrail...o-combos/228445

Wow, thank you for pointing that out to me. This whole time I was thinking I had press certain button combinations in order to get those evade and reversal attack combos to come out. So it's no wonder I couldn't get them to come out all the time. tounge.gif
By the way guys, that video does not list all of the reversals.

Now, though, that video didn't list out all of the manual combos which can be done, so I or anyone else who wants to contribute may.

I'll give credit to whoever contributes and I (or a mod) will put all of these moves in the first post.

Spaghetti Cat
  • Spaghetti Cat

I Love Pony Farming

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 23 August 2009 - 01:26 AM

QUOTE (Saddletank @ Aug 19 2009, 06:03)
I clearly need to go find a quiet beach and practice my moves.

Was thinking the same thing!

Nice job Nemonic

NemonicLee
  • NemonicLee

Golden Ninja Warrior

• Members

Posted 28 August 2009 - 10:10 AM

Thanks for the support guys, now I'm on to face the daunting challenge of the knife arts. cry.gif

anuj_cop.gif

Oddsock
  • Oddsock

Fresh and strong the world we seize

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 August 2009 - 01:43 PM

Wow, when I saw this I was thinking "big whoop," but seeing that video makes me want to boot up the 360 again and give it a try!

Lollercoaster
  • Lollercoaster

Thug

• Members

Posted 29 September 2009 - 10:51 PM

I noticed that the combos seem kind of random.

I.E. if you press A + Y + Down, Niko will do a combo that ends with a kick to the face.
But if you press the exact same combination, sometimes he will do a completely different combo.

So my theory is that no matter what you press, the combo that comes out of it will always be completely random.

NemonicLee
  • NemonicLee

Golden Ninja Warrior

• Members

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:59 PM

Wow, I never knew we could do reversal attacks with a knife. The animation looks pretty awesome -- your character will stab an enemy in the back (ouch! wow.gif ), twist them around and then K.O. them with two punches to the face.

iDon
  • iDon

The Dark Knight

• BUSTED!

Posted 03 October 2009 - 11:58 PM

I KOed someone Chuck Liddell style biggrin.gif

NemonicLee
  • NemonicLee

Golden Ninja Warrior

• Members

Posted 04 October 2009 - 12:34 AM

QUOTE (iDon @ Oct 3 2009, 20:58)
I KOed someone Chuck Liddell style biggrin.gif

Chuck Liddell = Ultimate Badass of UFC

MitchJ90
  • MitchJ90

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 08 October 2009 - 01:10 AM Edited by MitchJ90, 08 October 2009 - 01:23 AM.

Gonna have to try these.

NemonicLee
  • NemonicLee

Golden Ninja Warrior

• Members

Posted 08 October 2009 - 09:06 PM Edited by NemonicLee, 10 October 2009 - 12:01 PM.

xiklsifhwdhiodlx!!!!

oc student
  • oc student

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 09 October 2009 - 12:55 AM

What the hell? I don't udnerstand. Can you do certain combos and stuff on the consoles? Cause on the PC I think it's random when you put off a dodge.

CryptReaperDorian
  • CryptReaperDorian

Boss

• Members

Posted 09 October 2009 - 01:19 AM

The baseball bat also has a counter move. For unarmed counters, if the enemy has 6 or more bars of health Niko will do a punch combo. If the enemy has 5 or less bars of health Niko will do a finishing counter (which will completely kill the enemy and not just cripple him/her). The knife and bat only have one counter which is a finishing one that doesn't require lowering the enemy's health previously. You also forgot the stun punch I believe. While many think the stun punch is only used in the one mission it was introduced it can still be used on the guards at the cabaret when people are lining up. The stun punch is marked by a small flashing red square.

NemonicLee
  • NemonicLee

Golden Ninja Warrior

• Members

Posted 10 October 2009 - 11:44 AM

QUOTE (oc student @ Oct 8 2009, 21:55)
What the hell? I don't udnerstand. Can you do certain combos and stuff on the consoles? Cause on the PC I think it's random when you put off a dodge.

Unfortunately I do not have the PC version of GTA 4, so I cannot objectively test that reversal combos claim. I'll put a warning in the post just in case it is true. That must really suck if it is true for you PC users. confused.gif

King Of Monra
  • King Of Monra

When someone close to you dies, move seats

• Members

Posted 10 October 2009 - 11:58 AM

combos for pc here.

NemonicLee
  • NemonicLee

Golden Ninja Warrior

• Members

Posted 10 October 2009 - 12:24 PM

QUOTE (CryptReaperDorian @ Oct 8 2009, 22:19)
While many think the stun punch is only used in the one mission it was introduced it can still be used on the guards at the cabaret when people are lining up. The stun punch is marked by a small flashing red square.

Do you know how to do the stun punch? Is it that one reversal attack where it looks like Niko is punching the enemy once in the side?

RomanViking
  • RomanViking

Labyrinth

• Members

Posted 10 October 2009 - 02:47 PM Edited by RomanViking, 10 October 2009 - 02:50 PM.

Wow, I always enjoyed the hand to hand (also knife and bat) combat, but never realized combos could be used smile.gif

EDIT: NemonicLee, on 360 you press B when the red cursor appears (you have to surprise them, it can't be used mid battle). On PS3 it might be... circle ? I'm sorry that I don't know.

NemonicLee
  • NemonicLee

Golden Ninja Warrior

• Members

Posted 10 October 2009 - 09:00 PM

QUOTE (RomanViking @ Oct 10 2009, 11:47)
on 360 you press B when the red cursor appears (you have to surprise them, it can't be used mid battle). On PS3 it might be...  circle   ? I'm sorry that I don't know.

In all of my time playing the game I've never seen that happen to me. wow.gif mercie_blink.gif

RomanViking
  • RomanViking

Labyrinth

• Members

Posted 11 October 2009 - 06:23 AM

On second thought, it might have just been used for that one mission, where you steal that silver Blista for Vlad..

NemonicLee
  • NemonicLee

Golden Ninja Warrior

• Members

Posted 11 October 2009 - 01:25 PM

QUOTE (RomanViking @ Oct 11 2009, 03:23)
On second thought, it might have just been used for that one mission, where you steal that silver Blista for Vlad..

Uh huh, sure it was. wink.gif

I think I know of a way to go find out how to do it. I'll just look for a mission video on YouTube.

CryptReaperDorian
  • CryptReaperDorian

Boss

• Members

Posted 14 October 2009 - 05:33 AM

QUOTE (NemonicLee @ Oct 11 2009, 07:25)
QUOTE (RomanViking @ Oct 11 2009, 03:23)

Uh huh, sure it was. wink.gif

I think I know of a way to go find out how to do it. I'll just look for a mission video on YouTube.

Like I said before, you can use the stun punch outside of the mission. It can be used on a bodyguard at the cabaret when they are checking people that are lined up in front of the cabaret.

MC.
  • MC.

LS Menace

• Members

Posted 14 October 2009 - 06:37 AM

How do you know there's a move called Bohan Kiss Clone? Or is that something you made up? Also, I didn't know that there was other combos for Baseball Bat and Knife. I just did one combo with the Baseball Bat against some guy with a Knife before I read this topic and I was surprised. That's pretty sick bro.

Ripper666GER
  • Ripper666GER

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 14 October 2009 - 11:40 AM

I don“t get it...it does not work for me...On PS3 I press X, then O+up or something, but nothing happens....whats wrong?

NemonicLee
  • NemonicLee

Golden Ninja Warrior

• Members

Posted 15 October 2009 - 07:31 PM Edited by NemonicLee, 15 October 2009 - 07:59 PM.

QUOTE (Ripper666GER @ Oct 14 2009, 08:40)
I don“t get it...it does not work for me...On PS3 I press X, then O+up or something, but nothing happens....whats wrong?

Reversal/dodge attacks are surprisingly difficult to do in GTA IV that you have to almost have to guess what kind of attack your enemy is going to use. Sometimes you can anticipate the attack they are going to use, though you will always have to find a CPU character who will fight slowly enough in order to do it. (Don't get me started on the sports car drivers or the CPU characters who fight fast -- it is damn near impossible to do any dodge attacks on them.)

The key to do reversal attacks is to just practice. You have to "feel" when the time is right in order to press X and dodge the attack. (Use the force young Padwan, lol.) Also, make sure you are holding the target button, too.

NemonicLee
  • NemonicLee

Golden Ninja Warrior

• Members

Posted 15 October 2009 - 07:37 PM

QUOTE (MC_320 @ Oct 14 2009, 03:37)
How do you know there's a move called Bohan Kiss Clone? Or is that something you made up?

Yeah, I made up many of the names for these moves/combos. The moves where a headbutt occurs I call a "Bohan Kiss" because the "tourist guide"/map that is included with a new version of the game calls the move by the same name. I just did it for the purpose of nostalgia. tounge.gif

NemonicLee
  • NemonicLee

Golden Ninja Warrior

• Members

Posted 15 October 2009 - 08:10 PM Edited by NemonicLee, 16 October 2009 - 05:07 PM.

QUOTE (CryptReaperDorian @ Oct 14 2009, 02:33)
Like I said before, you can use the stun punch outside of the mission.  It can be used on a bodyguard at the cabaret when they are checking people that are lined up in front of the cabaret.

At what time of the day do these guards appear in the game? Or do they only appear during that one mission where you have to kill Mikhail Faustin?

Ripper666GER
  • Ripper666GER

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 October 2009 - 08:39 PM

Ok, thanks. I keep trying smile.gif

CryptReaperDorian
  • CryptReaperDorian

Boss

• Members

Posted 18 October 2009 - 04:23 AM

QUOTE (NemonicLee @ Oct 15 2009, 14:10)
QUOTE (CryptReaperDorian @ Oct 14 2009, 02:33)
Like I said before, you can use the stun punch outside of the mission.  It can be used on a bodyguard at the cabaret when they are checking people that are lined up in front of the cabaret.

At what time of the day do these guards appear in the game? Or do they only appear during that one mission where you have to kill Mikhail Faustin?

Try during night. If you drive there and you don't see the guards at Perestroika (cabaret) drive your car into the nearby Pay'n'Spray (to advance 2 in-game hours) and drive back to see if they are there. If they aren't then repeat the process.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users