Photo

A DODO! JUST ONE MEASLY DODO!

116 replies to this topic
LittleJacobRESPECT
  • LittleJacobRESPECT

San Andreas PRO

• Members

Posted 16 August 2009 - 04:05 PM

Liberty City is well big enough for a f*cking dodo plane and it shocks me that there isn't one. Helicopters get very very old very very fast. Just one stinking dodo is all i ask! excluding them is like how the fork lifts don't do anything, or how they park the truck in front of the trailor but you cant attatch them. notify.gif

OG360
  • OG360

Snitch

• Members

Posted 16 August 2009 - 04:07 PM

WORD...

Dotseoem
  • Dotseoem

Member of DrkHWF.

• Members

Posted 16 August 2009 - 04:08 PM

I was gonna make a topic about this. biggrin.gif icon14.gif icon14.gif

Feral Slug
  • Feral Slug

Hustler

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 August 2009 - 04:19 PM

as of this week, i think rockstar may be hesitating. after all, just a couple days ago in NYC, nine died when a tour helicopter and private plane crashed. get this: the tourists were italian. the crash may have been caused by people in the control tower having an inappropriate conversation. it's all just stuff you'd expect from rockstar. if they are having a plane, this crash would at least delay the trailer. it'd be too controversial, especially if a plane crashes in the trailer.

but, we can keep our fingers crossed.

buffalosoulj4h20
  • buffalosoulj4h20

Teabaggin' the Teabaggers

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 August 2009 - 04:38 PM

I thought you wanted a piece of sh*t.

stinomontana
  • stinomontana

contract chiller

• Members

Posted 16 August 2009 - 04:51 PM Edited by stinomontana, 16 August 2009 - 05:47 PM.

QUOTE (Feral Slug @ Aug 16 2009, 16:19)
as of this week, i think rockstar may be hesitating. after all, just a couple days ago in NYC, nine died when a tour helicopter and private plane crashed. get this: the tourists were italian. the crash may have been caused by people in the control tower having an inappropriate conversation. it's all just stuff you'd expect from rockstar. if they are having a plane, this crash would at least delay the trailer. it'd be too controversial, especially if a plane crashes in the trailer.

its not like its 9/11 or something
the plane/heli crash was just an accident
and accidents happen all the time

ontopic ; yeah i do like to have a plane in gta4.

AnotherDave
  • AnotherDave

Ctrl + Alt + Defecate

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 16 August 2009 - 04:58 PM

A guy got shot in New York, so they're taking out all the guns in BoGT. It'd be too controversial to leave them in, especially of somebody got shot in the trailer. sarcasm.gif

livejoker
  • livejoker

All About That Face!

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 August 2009 - 08:00 PM

I don't see how 9/11 is such a huge issue. It was in 2001, right? They won't allow planes in NCY but creates Eddie Low which gave me a nightmare. I say they put planes, but when you're near Rotterdam tower, you get 6 stars. icon14.gif

ScotchMouth
  • ScotchMouth

Single malt no ice

• Members

Posted 16 August 2009 - 08:27 PM

QUOTE (livejoker @ Aug 16 2009, 15:00)
I don't see how 9/11 is such a huge issue. It was in 2001, right? They won't allow planes in NCY but creates Eddie Low which gave me a nightmare. I say they put planes, but when you're near Rotterdam tower, you get 6 stars. icon14.gif

Its not that it is. Only in the minds of a number of people on message boards is it an issue.

People think that because the game is in a replica NY that its off limits because it may offend people. But its mere speculation. As you noted that was 8 years ago. If people really do have a problem then they need to move on. There is a time for grief but after this long if they still have a problem then we better close down airports in NY because God forbid everytime a plane goes over head it may crash or bring someone to tears.

Planes have occured in GTA post 9/11. NY is no more sacred then the rest of the US.

Just my thoughts

livejoker
  • livejoker

All About That Face!

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 August 2009 - 09:47 PM

That's why I don't like America that much. I went to the States a few years ago; I loved it. I just hate how people there are so patriotic. I understand why Jews might still be upset at the nazi's, but people still fearing 9/11? suicidal.gif

Just my thought tounge.gif I'm not like...a terrorist or anything. ph34r.gif
Back on topic, I guess?
Would be weird to go to the Francis International Airport, seeing big 747 planes, little private planes, and there, yes there, between those private jets, there it is! The dodo plane. lol.gif !

ScotchMouth
  • ScotchMouth

Single malt no ice

• Members

Posted 16 August 2009 - 10:38 PM

QUOTE (livejoker @ Aug 16 2009, 16:47)
That's why I don't like America that much. I went to the States a few years ago; I loved it. I just hate how people there are so patriotic. I understand why Jews might still be upset at the nazi's, but people still fearing 9/11? suicidal.gif

Just my thought tounge.gif I'm not like...a terrorist or anything. ph34r.gif
Back on topic, I guess?
Would be weird to go to the Francis International Airport, seeing big 747 planes, little private planes, and there, yes there, between those private jets, there it is! The dodo plane. lol.gif !

I respect your opinion. When i first joined a forum that i contributed a lot on it was right after the whole 9/11 thing. I am still a member there and i dealt with a lot of anti-american statements (i am not accusing you of that) because of of the folks where overseas. Back then i didnt understand it. As time passed and i got a bit older i can see how foolish we can appear at times. Especially because people are influenced by the media (left or right) to an extreme degree.

It wasnt always like this. There was a time where being bi or tri-lingual was something to be proud of. Now we cringe at the idea of having to learn spanish. We're a rather ignorant lot. (not all.. but alot)

I didnt mean to derail the topic and if you wanted to we could probably continue this discussion in another thread but i wanted you to know that sometimes even americans share your sentiment.

SirPsychoSexy
  • SirPsychoSexy

The Poet

• Members

Posted 16 August 2009 - 10:55 PM

QUOTE (ScotchMouth @ Aug 16 2009, 22:38)
That's why I don't like America that much. I went to the States a few years ago; I loved it. I just hate how people there are so patriotic. I understand why Jews might still be upset at the nazi's, but people still fearing 9/11?  suicidal.gif

Just my thought tounge.gif I'm not like...a terrorist or anything.  ph34r.gif
Back on topic, I guess?
Would be weird to go to the Francis International Airport, seeing big 747 planes, little private planes, and there, yes there, between those private jets, there it is! The dodo plane.  lol.gif !

I respect your opinion. When i first joined a forum that i contributed a lot on it was right after the whole 9/11 thing. I am still a member there and i dealt with a lot of anti-american statements (i am not accusing you of that) because of of the folks where overseas. Back then i didnt understand it. As time passed and i got a bit older i can see how foolish we can appear at times. Especially because people are influenced by the media (left or right) to an extreme degree.

It wasnt always like this. There was a time where being bi or tri-lingual was something to be proud of. Now we cringe at the idea of having to learn spanish. We're a rather ignorant lot. (not all.. but alot)

I didnt mean to derail the topic and if you wanted to we could probably continue this discussion in another thread but i wanted you to know that sometimes even americans share your sentiment.

Well of course. It's a big country with a lot of people, some are ignorant, some not. There are many different sides to America, some you love and some you hate.

Maybe I'm just brainwashed but I actually sort of agree with rockstar. Planes are not relevant since there really is nowhere to fly, there's not even two airports in this large city.

Can't say i wouldn't mind planes either though, but I really don't care. But I doubt they will be added to TBOGT, maybe bikes and bus riding, but not planes.

liquidus119
  • liquidus119

King of Kings

• Members

Posted 17 August 2009 - 12:33 AM

Planes would get just as old as helicopters do...

While I don't see why everyone wants them so bad, I also don't see there being any problem if they added a Cesna. That's probably the only type of plane that would work, though...

livejoker
  • livejoker

All About That Face!

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 August 2009 - 12:46 AM

QUOTE (SirPsychoSexy @ Aug 16 2009, 18:55)
QUOTE (ScotchMouth @ Aug 16 2009, 22:38)
That's why I don't like America that much. I went to the States a few years ago; I loved it. I just hate how people there are so patriotic. I understand why Jews might still be upset at the nazi's, but people still fearing 9/11?  suicidal.gif

Just my thought tounge.gif I'm not like...a terrorist or anything.  ph34r.gif
Back on topic, I guess?
Would be weird to go to the Francis International Airport, seeing big 747 planes, little private planes, and there, yes there, between those private jets, there it is! The dodo plane.  lol.gif !

Well of course. It's a big country with a lot of people, some are ignorant, some not. There are many different sides to America, some you love and some you hate.

Maybe I'm just brainwashed but I actually sort of agree with rockstar. Planes are not relevant since there really is nowhere to fly, there's not even two airports in this large city.

Can't say i wouldn't mind planes either though, but I really don't care. But I doubt they will be added to TBOGT, maybe bikes and bus riding, but not planes.

@ScotchMouth: Well, as Niko would say "America, the land of opportunity" (sp). That's what I respect the most of America. icon14.gif

@SirPhyschoSexy: LOL for the name. cookie.gif Yeah, I know. Liberty IS abit too small for flying but a skimmer would be awesome. Is that the one that goes on the water? Land on water. Fly over the city. Land on streets...... inlove.gif

shinsta312
  • shinsta312

Sypher|INFINITE

• Members

Posted 17 August 2009 - 02:56 AM

Stunt planes are a possibility, jets aren't. Besides, you can't expect Luis, a 25-year-old from Northwood, to immediately know how to fly a plane.

blahblah1212
  • blahblah1212

Northwood Dominican Drug Dealers

• Members

Posted 17 August 2009 - 01:23 PM

QUOTE (shinsta312 @ Aug 16 2009, 19:56)
Stunt planes are a possibility, jets aren't. Besides, you can't expect Luis, a 25-year-old from Northwood, to immediately know how to fly a plane.

If they do implement planes, GOD FORBID ANOTHER GODDAMN FLYING SCHOOL, that was f*cking hard the first time around and with GTAIV's realistic physics it would just be harder. cryani.gif

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

I know you've been complaining, but you weren't ready.

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal
  • Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 17 August 2009 - 01:26 PM

No planes. Live with it, Rockstar couldn't because of 9/11.

stinomontana
  • stinomontana

contract chiller

• Members

Posted 17 August 2009 - 01:35 PM

QUOTE (shinsta312 @ Aug 17 2009, 02:56)
you can't expect Luis, a 25-year-old from Northwood, to immediately know how to fly a plane.

and cj? he was a streetgangster who could fly a plane
i dont see a problem

oh and for that 9/11 bs

so what, 2planes crashed into a building
does that mean that we will never be able to fly a plane in a game like gta4??? comon be serious

car bombs happen everyday and guess what
we can call packy to fix a carbomb
and there no problem with that

dukee152
  • dukee152

Thug

• Members

Posted 17 August 2009 - 03:31 PM

QUOTE (LittleJacobRESPECT @ Aug 16 2009, 16:05)
Liberty City is well big enough for a f*cking dodo plane and it shocks me that there isn't one. Helicopters get very very old very very fast. Just one stinking dodo is all i ask! excluding them is like how the fork lifts don't do anything, or how they park the truck in front of the trailor but you cant attatch them. notify.gif

only problem is you can only land a dodo at francis intl but if we see any plane i would put my chips on a seaplane because liberty is surrounded by water

ikt
  • ikt

*poof*

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 August 2009 - 03:34 PM

PLanes aren't much use in Liberty City/Vice. In SA, you could land everywhere, but LC is packed with tall buildings.

Money Over Bullshit
  • Money Over Bullshit

Mack Militant

• Members
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2010
    Best Concept Story 2010 "The Code of The Streets"

Posted 17 August 2009 - 04:40 PM

Yeah that actually makes a lot of sense. I can imagine a plane being destroyed in the trailer as it would make the trailer seem more epic and this would understandably cause them to delay the trailer as they would either have to alter it or hold off untill the episode wasnt so fresh in peoples minds. It might not have even been a plane... it could have been a chopper but it would still come accross as insensitive.

Carnage1120
  • Carnage1120

Misanthropic Wiseguy

• Members

Posted 17 August 2009 - 05:33 PM

QUOTE (dukee152 @ Aug 17 2009, 15:31)
QUOTE (LittleJacobRESPECT @ Aug 16 2009, 16:05)

only problem is you can only land a dodo at francis intl but if we see any plane i would put my chips on a seaplane because liberty is surrounded by water

That seems about right, besides. It would be near impossible to land with those stupid scripted planes around the airport.

LittleJacobRESPECT
  • LittleJacobRESPECT

San Andreas PRO

• Members

Posted 17 August 2009 - 05:40 PM

First of all, Niko can fly Helicopters just fine, so why not the protag in BoGT? Second, it is a VIDEO GAME. They are supposed to be fun, and R* knows that. A lot of guys are saying things about how 9/11 could be influencing their decision, but i think that has been all but completely disproven by other posts in this thread. That leaves the fact that there is only one airport - but really, why should that get in the way of fun? There aren't that many helipads anyway, so the dodo can be compared to a helicopter IMO.
Someone above mentioned seaplanes, that sounds like a really good idea, you could even have a throwback to the GTAIII mission "Grand Theft Aero" (or something) which had you going out on a boat to collect packages of drugs dropped by a seaplane. Anyway i am getting way off topic here, my point is, if we can have the tugboat we should be alowed to have a dodo

TGMOS
  • TGMOS

GTA IV Vehicle Expert

• Members

Posted 17 August 2009 - 07:18 PM

Sigh...for the last freakin time, Rockstar did NOT include planes in IV because of 9/11, they did not include them due to the lack of a second airport, and the fact that the planes would go way too fast over such a small map area, either that or they'd have to slow the helicopters down a bit so it didn't look like the helis were rocket powered and could keep up with a plane. (though the dodo would be quite slow anyways)

In San Andreas, they had planes due to the sheer size of the map, and the fact that there were three complete independant cities spread out with large space inbetween them. Thus, having and piloting planes would not be out of the question.

When was San Andreas made? Several years after 9/11, when people were even more freaked out and paranoid about it then thay are today You could easily take a plane in that game and ram it into a skyscraper and blow yourself up, it was just good 'ol wacky SA fun, like the jetpacks, etc. If Rockstar really cared about people's feelings they would have prevented such things from occurring.

Plus, Rockstar not only doesn't care about such tragedies, they parody them in their games, thus why they portrayed Liberty City as an over terrorist-obsessed metropolis that thinks even the slightest crime is a terrorist plot. Thus why they created the NOOSE to parody an anti-terror unit, instead of the direct military such as in SA.

Yes, Saints Row 2 had planes, but in reality, the game sucks, and the planes served no purpose. That game has everything in it that SA did to comete with IV but they failed to let half the stuff even have a purpose.

If R* is ever going to add a plane, of any kind that flies besides the static jet liners that fly around the city forever, then it'd be a small, light plane, such as the dodo or shamal. The small jets are actually called something different though in IV, as they have a different name on the sides of them. And even if they let something else fly around, it would more than likely be only for a cutscene or specific mission, much like how in hangman's NOOSE the door on one of the small jets opens to let Petrovic out but nothing more happens involving it.

tl;dr, Rockstar will do what they want to with their games, if adding planes offends people, then they've done their job, as the GTA series has been offending people since the very beginning, and that's how they like it.

numdmind
  • numdmind

numdmind

• Members

Posted 17 August 2009 - 10:24 PM

QUOTE (stinomontana @ Aug 16 2009, 11:51)

its not like its 9/11 or something
the plane/heli crash was just an accident
and accidents happen all the time

ontopic ; yeah i do like to have a plane in gta4.

First, it was never because of 9/11. It amazes me the lack of intelligence and thought among some forum members. If it were because of 9/11, that would basically indicate that the terrorists won, because we are so scared of their actions that we wouldn't allow an airplane in a video game city that bears a resemblance to New York. Do you people really think that R* is scared? Hardly.

Second, planes aren't happening. Give it up children.

CryptReaperDorian
  • CryptReaperDorian

Boss

• Members

Posted 18 August 2009 - 01:31 AM

@TGMOS: Actually, the helicopters in GTA IV go even faster than the Comet, which goes 215 mph. The real-life Dodo counterpart, the Cessna 152, only goes like 120-130 mph. I don't see how that's too fast. I think R* should add the Skimmer based off the Cessna 172 so it goes at about 200 mph (real-life is like 180-190 mph however). The Skimmer would be for landing on water safely. R* should also add the Stunt Plane, which they can make go a little faster than the helicopters. The Stunt Plane would be used mostly for speed and stunting, but it would be harder to land it safely, or even find a spot to land it. You can still land the Stunt Plane in the airport or a beach (the Hove Beach one would be more ideal).

shinsta312
  • shinsta312

Sypher|INFINITE

• Members

Posted 18 August 2009 - 01:49 AM Edited by shinsta312, 18 August 2009 - 01:56 AM.

QUOTE (LittleJacobRESPECT @ Aug 17 2009, 17:40)
First of all, Niko can fly Helicopters just fine, so why not the protag in BoGT? Second, it is a VIDEO GAME. They are supposed to be fun, and R* knows that. A lot of guys are saying things about how 9/11 could be influencing their decision, but i think that has been all but completely disproven by other posts in this thread. That leaves the fact that there is only one airport - but really, why should that get in the way of fun? There aren't that many helipads anyway, so the dodo can be compared to a helicopter IMO.
Someone above mentioned seaplanes, that sounds like a really good idea, you could even have a throwback to the GTAIII mission "Grand Theft Aero" (or something) which had you going out on a boat to collect packages of drugs dropped by a seaplane. Anyway i am getting way off topic here, my point is, if we can have the tugboat we should be alowed to have a dodo

First of all, Niko knew to fly helicopters because he used to fly them when he was in the war. He mentioned it the first time he flown a helicopter for U.L. Paper. It wouldn't make sense for someone to just instantly know how to fly a plane, unless there was some explanation. Luis is a 25-year-old Dominican from Northwood, who probably never flown a plane in his life. Unless there was some FIB agent telling him to go to flying school, there won't be any planes.

Second, yes, GTA IV is a video game. But R* aimed for it to be realistic. That's why you don't see jets, or tanks, or over-the-top missions that you normally saw in San Andreas.

As for 9/11 being the reason that they weren't using planes, they used planes in Vice City (2002) and San Andreas (2004). But the truth remains: R* never intended to have flyable planes in IV. So there's no point adding it now.

liquidus119
  • liquidus119

King of Kings

• Members

Posted 18 August 2009 - 01:26 PM

To be fair, they could simply say that Gay Tony paid for flying lessons so Luis could fly him around the state.

It isn't THAT unbelievable. I know this guy who started to take lessons to get his pilots license before he even got his drivers licenese. Sure, his dad was a crazy Airforce dude who wanted his son to fly...but it is still possible...

But, I don't think they will add planes. A Cessna could work speed wise, but it would still get boring after the third crash. The only reason anyone liked the Dodo in GTAIII was because of the challenge it took to fly it.

Dotseoem
  • Dotseoem

Member of DrkHWF.

• Members

Posted 18 August 2009 - 01:38 PM

I'm from New York, and I don't care if they add a Dodo.

GTA 3 had one, and it came out around "9-11". Who really cares??

p.s. I Hate the Fact that we're still calling it 9/11, as if it's some Holiday. "Yay, let's get together now because they Bombed us sigh.gif " dozingoff.gif Yeah Right!

Oddsock
  • Oddsock

Fresh and strong the world we seize

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 August 2009 - 01:52 PM

QUOTE (ScotchMouth @ Aug 16 2009, 17:38)
...As time passed and i got a bit older i can see how foolish we can appear at times...

...We're a rather ignorant lot. (not all.. but alot)...

You have GOT to be kidding me. I'm not calling you unpatriotic at all, but I am calling what you said extremely dumb and generalizing. WE can appear foolish? Yeah, exactly how many of the 300 million of us? Do we all collectively do dumb things at the same time? And being an ignorant lot? I don't know about you but I've hardly met true ignorance the nineteen years I've been living in the US. What I think is happening here is that you're just thinking of all the dumb people you've met or heard of without even trying to recall the number of intelligent individuals you've met -- this is what the media does. They report on dumb sh*t and stupid people so people think "man Americans are so stupid" when they fail to understand we have most of the smartest minds in the world. It was our countrymen that invented and has dominated the airplane, reached the moon, and developed so many more technological advances that I feel safe in saying that we have given the world a lot for being a little over 230 years old. I honestly don't think our country would be the world's leading superpower if we were "an ignorant lot."

As for that previous "people need to get over 9/11" thing, I am against that sentiment, and even if I agreed with it I don't think it would happen. People still remember December 7, 1941, and those people aren't just veterans. Every year it comes around I think of that Sunday morning and the thousands of US servicemen and women killed at Pearl Harbor. Every nation will always remember its disasters and tragedies. I personally don't fear 9/11 and I don't know anyone who does, but I just think that trying to forget about it is an unfortunate idea.

Oh, and I want a plane in GTA IV. I don't give a damn about moving too fast, if it's a Dodo it doesn't need to go fast anyway.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users