Photo

Ati 9.8 Are Here

70 replies to this topic
noz786_nitro
  • noz786_nitro

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 14 August 2009 - 08:50 PM

Ok guys here goes scroll down on the link below and download theses drivers. These are the official 9.8 (not beta) and can you post your results. If there any good i may actually go purchase gta 4 again just for these drivers. Thanks

http://blogs.amd.com...-quakecon-blog/

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 14 August 2009 - 08:58 PM Edited by girishb, 14 August 2009 - 09:00 PM.

http://game.amd.com/.../common-vista32

Not on AMD's site yet. Are you sure they're official?

Edit: Google tells me that the drivers will be released on 17th August.

noz786_nitro
  • noz786_nitro

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 14 August 2009 - 09:14 PM

Read the blog mate. They were released on the blog and available to visitors at quakecon and they are the official ones. People just try them and post your results.

http://img268.images...us/i/ati98.jpg/

bishman82
  • bishman82

Snitch

• Members

Posted 14 August 2009 - 11:20 PM

I got a 0.01+ FPS increase! Great drivers!*

*estimated benchmark results, not actually tried new drivers.

truehighroller
  • truehighroller

Hustler

• Members

Posted 15 August 2009 - 12:41 AM

I think my stutter is gone now!! Maybe, I have been playing for an hour or two and no stutter yet.

blood_hound
  • blood_hound

//famfran//

• Members

Posted 15 August 2009 - 12:43 AM

WHAT!? new drivers again!? hell yeah! im testing this out now! biggrin.gif

BKwegoharder
  • BKwegoharder

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 15 August 2009 - 12:50 AM Edited by BKwegoharder, 15 August 2009 - 12:53 AM.

My goodness these are WONDERFUL drivers. The performance increase is like never before with any game from any driver update. The FPS didn't really change, but ALL stuttering is gone. It is like using the mem restrict command, but better since there is no pop in from it. I have a 512MB 4850 and I just pumped the graphics up to High Textures, Very High Reflections, Very High Water quality, Very High Shadow Quality and Highest Anisotropic filtering. I'm way over my vram amount but I used the availablevidemem 4 command. Usually doing that would cause lots of stuttering and pop in. But the game is perfectly normal. I'm absolutely amazed. I'm only have my view distance at 22 and Detail at 10, Vehicles at 33 and shadow Density at 0, but I'm planning on pumping those up as well. Bravo ATI. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

There are new problems though. Blood splatter has been toned down a lot.

Oh wait, false alarm on the blood splatter thing. I just uninstalled the enb series reflections mod and it seems like the issue is gone. So yeah. These drivers are WONDERFUL. I recommend any and every ati user upgrade immediately.

truehighroller
  • truehighroller

Hustler

• Members

Posted 15 August 2009 - 01:08 AM

Here is some more info about the drivers that I just run across when reading about these drivers on various websites.

AMD tells us the drivers deliver "enhancements specific to Performance Platforms that improve system performance in CPU bound situations." What does that mean? Well, using a system based on the Dragon platform (so Phenom II, 790GX, and Radeon HD 4800 graphics), the company says it measured considerable gains with multi-GPU configurations running at resolutions of 1680x1050 and higher.

Purportedly, performance can increase by as much as 50% in Far Cry 2, and you can also expect meaty gains in Battleforge, Company of Heroes, Crysis, H.A.W.X., S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky, and World in Conflict. AMD notes that the gains apply to both conventional CrossFire setups and the single-board Radeon HD 4870 X2.

modCJpls
  • modCJpls

The Armageddon is near.

• Members

Posted 15 August 2009 - 01:14 AM

QUOTE (truehighroller @ Aug 15 2009, 01:08)
Here is some more info about the drivers that I just run across when reading about these drivers on various websites.

AMD tells us the drivers deliver "enhancements specific to Performance Platforms that improve system performance in CPU bound situations." What does that mean? Well, using a system based on the Dragon platform (so Phenom II, 790GX, and Radeon HD 4800 graphics), the company says it measured considerable gains with multi-GPU configurations running at resolutions of 1680x1050 and higher.

Purportedly, performance can increase by as much as 50% in Far Cry 2, and you can also expect meaty gains in Battleforge, Company of Heroes, Crysis, H.A.W.X., S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky, and World in Conflict. AMD notes that the gains apply to both conventional CrossFire setups and the single-board Radeon HD 4870 X2.

Means less bottleneck.

Chevyboy
  • Chevyboy

Playa

• Members

Posted 15 August 2009 - 04:28 AM

Not to shabby for one of my systems (have yet to try the second). I ran 10 benchmarks and this is the lowest FPS of the bunch.

Statistics
Average FPS: 45.37
Duration: 37.25 sec
CPU Usage: 94%
System memory usage: 74%
Video memory usage: 85%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1680 x 1050 (60 Hz)
Texture Quality: High
Texture Filter Quality: Highest
View Distance: 30
Detail Distance: 100

Hardware
Microsoft® Windows Vista" Home Premium
Service Pack 2
Video Adapter: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series
Video Driver version: 8.14.10.685
Audio Adapter: Speakers (Auzentech X-Fi Forte)
Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.16GHz

File ID: benchmark.cli

I don't have one handy for the 9.7 however the HIGHEST I recall ever seeing it was 40-41 FPS.

All in all not bad at all, guess they were true to the release notes this time around and did offer optimizations for CPU bound games.

System is in addition to what the benchmark shows:
E8500 currently at stock 3.16ghz
4870 512MB @ 790 / 1000 with -availiablevidmem 2.0 commandline to force high textures.

Additionally the VERY MINIMAL texture popins that were previously present (hardly noticeable) are now completely gone, even when using 800+MB of Vram on a 512MB card.

TLDR version: 4-5 FPS increase and no texture popins when exceeding vram limit when previously there were very minimal amounts.

PacoGTA4
  • PacoGTA4

Rat

• Members

Posted 15 August 2009 - 05:16 AM

please keep posting your results!

how do you guys unisntalled the old drivers before installing the new ones? just on control panel or with some utility?

Chevyboy
  • Chevyboy

Playa

• Members

Posted 15 August 2009 - 05:20 AM

QUOTE (PacoGTA4 @ Aug 15 2009, 05:16)

how do you guys unisntalled the old drivers before installing the new ones? just on control panel or with some utility?

XP you should uninstall with the control panel and if you choose, a 3rd party uninstaller to clean up in safe mode.

Vista/7 it is highly suggested and even most of the 3rd party cleaners suggest NOT using the product and simply sticking to the built in uninstaller.

That said ATI drivers are meant to be installed over old driver versions, however there is nothing wrong (and this is my method) with uninstalling old drivers before installing new ones.

Basically if you run XP, 3rd party cleaners are fine, if you run Vista it can cause more harm than good, even the program authors usually suggest against usage in Vista/7

noz786_nitro
  • noz786_nitro

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 August 2009 - 07:59 AM

Guys as i sed at the top. I have a 4870 x2 and want to purchase this game again.

But i want to know has that stutter gone that use happen all the time with the earlier drivers?

ikt
  • ikt

*poof*

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 August 2009 - 07:59 AM

I might use this driver, i use 505/503 (why nog 512??) and i notice popins.

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 15 August 2009 - 08:35 AM Edited by girishb, 15 August 2009 - 12:49 PM.

QUOTE (ikt @ Aug 15 2009, 13:29)
I might use this driver, i use 505/503 (why nog 512??) and i notice popins.

Never exceed the amount of available resource. You never get the full 512MB because some of the graphics memory is already used up by your OS.

I'm trying the drivers now; will be back with the benchmark results.

Here's the result:
Statistics
Average FPS: 43.98
Duration: 37.35 sec
CPU Usage: 65%
System memory usage: 63%
Video memory usage: 72%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1152 x 864 (75 Hz)
Texture Quality: Medium
View Distance: 53

Hardware
Microsoft® Windows Vista" Ultimate
Service Pack 2
Audio Adapter: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU    Q6600  @ 2.40GHz

No gain for me; didn't expect it either.

Edit: Looks like these new drivers have killed about 10-15 fps in San Andreas and it gets even worse during rains. The 9.7 driver introduced texture popups and now this. I should just go back to 9.6 or something.

Nillus
  • Nillus

Nice New Tits btw

• Members

Posted 15 August 2009 - 02:32 PM Edited by Nillus, 15 August 2009 - 02:37 PM.

QUOTE (Chevyboy @ Aug 15 2009, 04:28)
Not to shabby for one of my systems (have yet to try the second). I ran 10 benchmarks and this is the lowest FPS of the bunch.

Statistics
Average FPS: 45.37
Duration: 37.25 sec
CPU Usage: 94%
System memory usage: 74%
Video memory usage: 85%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1680 x 1050 (60 Hz)
Texture Quality: High
View Distance: 30

Hardware
Microsoft® Windows Vista" Home Premium
Service Pack 2
Audio Adapter: Speakers (Auzentech X-Fi Forte)
Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU     E8500  @ 3.16GHz

File ID: benchmark.cli

I don't have one handy for the 9.7 however the HIGHEST I recall ever seeing it was 40-41 FPS.

All in all not bad at all, guess they were true to the release notes this time around and did offer optimizations for CPU bound games.

System is in addition to what the benchmark shows:
E8500 currently at stock 3.16ghz
4870 512MB @ 790 / 1000 with -availiablevidmem 2.0 commandline to force high textures.

Additionally the VERY MINIMAL texture popins that were previously present (hardly noticeable) are now completely gone, even when using 800+MB of Vram on a 512MB card.

TLDR version: 4-5 FPS increase and no texture popins when exceeding vram limit when previously there were very minimal amounts.

Wow that's epic, I have a E8400 @ stock 3GHz (Arctic Freezer 7 Pro keeping it very cool so I can overclock it easily now!) and a HD4870 512MB just like you!
I'll try to use high textures again by using system ram as vram, to see if I get a kindof 'equal fps'. biggrin.gif

truehighroller
  • truehighroller

Hustler

• Members

Posted 15 August 2009 - 03:18 PM Edited by truehighroller, 15 August 2009 - 03:21 PM.

QUOTE (Chevyboy @ Aug 15 2009, 00:20)

XP you should uninstall with the control panel and if you choose, a 3rd party uninstaller to clean up in safe mode.
Vista/7 it is highly suggested and even most of the 3rd party cleaners suggest NOT using the product and simply sticking to the built in uninstaller.
That said ATI drivers are meant to be installed over old driver versions, however there is nothing wrong (and this is my method) with uninstalling old drivers before installing new ones.
Basically if you run XP, 3rd party cleaners are fine, if you run Vista it can cause more harm than good, even the program authors usually suggest against usage in Vista/7

I say don't give bad advise to people. I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit and work on PCs for a living and I have been for like ten years. I have been using Driver Cleaner.net and I have had no issues what so ever using it with my Windows 7 and I didn't have any issues with Vista Ultimate 64bit when I had it installed either.

I am running these drivers and did so last night for like 5 hours and there was no stutter at all. I still see the occasional pop in after awhile but, it is very minimal and barely noticable and that very well might be a memory leak still on the games coding part but the stutter is GONE!

CharmingCharlie
  • CharmingCharlie

Proud PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 15 August 2009 - 03:52 PM

Any news on the rain issue for you guys ? A lot of ATI users were reporting strange rain in strange places such as the lobby and under bridges. This problem goes away with older drivers (think 9.3 was the culprit) I am just wondering if ATI sorted it out for 9.8 ?

Chevyboy
  • Chevyboy

Playa

• Members

Posted 15 August 2009 - 07:25 PM

QUOTE (truehighroller @ Aug 15 2009, 15:18)
QUOTE (Chevyboy @ Aug 15 2009, 00:20)

I say don't give bad advise to people. I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit and work on PCs for a living and I have been for like ten years. I have been using Driver Cleaner.net and I have had no issues what so ever using it with my Windows 7 and I didn't have any issues with Vista Ultimate 64bit when I had it installed either.

I am running these drivers and did so last night for like 5 hours and there was no stutter at all. I still see the occasional pop in after awhile but, it is very minimal and barely noticable and that very well might be a memory leak still on the games coding part but the stutter is GONE!

I don't recall saying anyone COULD NOT use a third party cleaner on Vista/7, I said that most of the more popular 3rd party cleaners authors SUGGESTED AGAINST IT.

I've been building and servicing computers and various other electronic equipment for quite a bit longer than you, so please spare me the "I know best" routine.

Anyhow... arguing with people such as yourself (ones that make a point to say things like "don't give bad advice" without actually reading to what they are objecting to proves fruitless in almost all situations. Carry on with your lack of objective ranting.

@ Charlie. I was getting the "rain bug" on 1 of the 3 ATI gaming computers I usually play on (all 3 using the same drivers) and after testing it just now it appears that the rain is using properly detecting objects such as bridges once again. It's too small a sample size to say for certain, especially because 2/3 computers I use never experienced it however it is promising that the bug may be fixed.

@Nillus. Yes give it a try, the higher textures that is. If you notice popins you can always revert the changes, however I suspect you will see a small amount of FPS gains as I did as these drivers are specifically enhancing performance of CPU bound machines/games. Being that we both run C2D's we are both CPU limited in the game as is, moreso than the people using quads anyways. This is why others have reported no gains yet others with duo's seem to have some improvement.

Once I get a day or 2 off to overclock again (old MB kicked the bucket) I should be able to break the benchmarks 50 FPS barrier on a C2D chip, very promising results considering all the "you NEED a quad to play the game well" talk we had to endure for all those months by the masses of uninformed people. Not that anything over 30 FPS in the benchmark isn't more than playable but I have high standards biggrin.gif

truehighroller
  • truehighroller

Hustler

• Members

Posted 15 August 2009 - 07:38 PM

QUOTE (Chevyboy @ Aug 15 2009, 14:25)
I don't recall saying anyone COULD NOT use a third party cleaner on Vista/7, I said that most of the more popular 3rd party cleaners authors SUGGESTED AGAINST IT.

I've been building and servicing computers and various other electronic equipment for quite a bit longer than you, so please spare me the "I know best" routine.

Anyhow... arguing with people such as yourself (ones that make a point to say things like "don't give bad advice" without actually reading to what they are objecting to proves fruitless in almost all situations. Carry on with your lack of objective ranting.

Blah,

Then why don't you just say, if you use one, make sure to do some research so you are certain that the one you are going to be using works well with your OS?

@Charlie:

I think my rain issue is still there actually but, I will have to play it some more tonight to be sure.

Chevyboy
  • Chevyboy

Playa

• Members

Posted 15 August 2009 - 07:48 PM

QUOTE (truehighroller @ Aug 15 2009, 19:38)
QUOTE (Chevyboy @ Aug 15 2009, 14:25)

Blah,

Then why don't you just say, if you use one, make sure to do some research so you are certain that the one you are going to be using works well with your OS?

@Charlie:

I think my rain issue is still there actually but, I will have to play it some more tonight to be sure.

I didn't say so because they weren't designed to be used in Vista/7. Both OS's are known to be very finicky with hardware recognition when using ANY third party applications in regards to driver removal. Considering that most drivers now suggest installing directly over top of the old ones without any installation, the built in uninstaller is more than fine.

Again nothing saying you can't run a third party cleaner, but given its risk with Vista/7 and complete lack of any real benefit as it once had with XP most people see it as just not worth the risk. It may be different if it actually proved some benefit for the newer OS's but sadly this is not the case. Proceed with caution would be advisable I suppose.

BKwegoharder
  • BKwegoharder

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 15 August 2009 - 08:04 PM

QUOTE (CharmingCharlie @ Aug 15 2009, 15:52)
Any news on the rain issue for you guys ? A lot of ATI users were reporting strange rain in strange places such as the lobby and under bridges. This problem goes away with older drivers (think 9.3 was the culprit) I am just wondering if ATI sorted it out for 9.8 ?

It's still there. But I don't care, this performance upgrade is more than worth it. Going back to 9.2 would probably make me lose 20fps, and I would get much less smoother performance

supermortalhuman
  • supermortalhuman

522A4EA9

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 August 2009 - 11:24 PM

I'm a temporary ATi user and this set of drivers - thus far - is their saving grace in my opinion of them (but not my dollar yet) because they have been an improvement over 9.7.

I'm not sure if I was missing rain at certain times or not prior to the new drivers shared here from the ati blog, but I have noticed that the color of the rain makes it hard to see. It's there, and I get glimpses of it, tires spit up water, though I have only been in one serious thunderstorm so far and it was amazing.

The game performs better, but I can't attribute it to the drivers. However I have struggled with it and gotten it to work pretty flawlessly at this point, and in the same time I tried these drivers, though. Clean and smooth installation. Though I did many other things, many, things are running well for now... We'll see the next time I play. I'm about to post some tips.

The Horror Is Alive
  • The Horror Is Alive

Monkey-fighting snakes on this Monday to Friday plane.

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 August 2009 - 01:25 AM

Any z-fighting fix yet?

Chevyboy
  • Chevyboy

Playa

• Members

Posted 16 August 2009 - 01:50 AM

QUOTE (The Horror Is Alive @ Aug 16 2009, 01:25)
Any z-fighting fix yet?

Some of us have never had the issue to begin with, best bet is to try them for yourself tounge.gif

PacoGTA4
  • PacoGTA4

Rat

• Members

Posted 16 August 2009 - 03:53 AM

well, the drivers don't seem to boost FPS rate, actually I get 2 less FPS on bench but on game is much smoother than before and that's appreciated, just try it for ypurself wink.gif

the rain thing is annoying, inside the safehouses is raining!!! WTF dude

truehighroller
  • truehighroller

Hustler

• Members

Posted 16 August 2009 - 04:37 AM

Yeah the rain bug is still there.

supermortalhuman
  • supermortalhuman

522A4EA9

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 August 2009 - 05:13 AM

I can now confirm I do not have, and never had a rain bug. Check your CCC settings maybe. smile.gif

truehighroller
  • truehighroller

Hustler

• Members

Posted 16 August 2009 - 05:16 AM

QUOTE (supermortalhuman @ Aug 16 2009, 00:13)
I can now confirm I do not have, and never had a rain bug. Check your CCC settings maybe. smile.gif

I set them all to let the program decide and closed the CCC any way on top of that. Plus, I think the game has a memory leak still as well. My headlights are always flickering after awhile and it looks like sh*t.

Rautatie
  • Rautatie

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 16 August 2009 - 07:40 AM

I hope that these new drivers fix the z-fighting. The game is almost unplayable because of it right now. :<

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users