Photo

Overall thoughts upon completion?

2 replies to this topic
ScotchMouth
  • ScotchMouth

Single malt no ice

• Members

Posted 11 August 2009 - 05:21 PM

I take game magazines and websites with a grain of salt when it comes to reviewing a video game. One persons likes and dislikes are most likely going to be different than mine. But I much more value the opinion of a like minded fan. To me reviewers dont necessarily fall into that category. They may give a game unwarrented praise when the overall feeling of the community doesnt comes close to that. Case in point is IV's perfect rating on IGN.

That said when you got done with the main story how did you feel about this DLC?

Personally i had mixed feelings. The amount of content was nice for a DLC but i think my expectations were a bit high.

There were notable improvements from IV that i enjoyed.

Bike Handling

Obviously the bike handling was a problem in IV. People often shouted frustration and complained because of the ability to get sent flying for no reason.

When i initially hear that this was a biker themed game i was both excited and concerned. I like the biker culture as i myself am often times immersed in it going to rallys and such. On the other hand i hated using bikes in IV. I dreaded the missions because i knew at any moment a car merging lanes could send me flying during a mission.

Upon reading reviews and sneak peaks i was completely relieved that this was corrected.

Friendship mechanic

Another thing i feel we may agree upon was the friendship mechanic in IV. My phone seems to blow up with Niko. Be it Brucie wanting to fly around in a helicopter or roman wanting to go to The Triangle Club.

I never understood why i got a thumbs down just because i was too busy immersing myself in the story to play pool. I would be thinking "Piss off roman you should be happy i save your fat sweaty ass". If these characters are interlinked in the story there should be no reason that my like or dislike is dependent on some trivial activity. Instead it should be optional for the user.

This annoyance was corrected in TLAD. Excellent choice by R.

The side missions were either hit or miss depending on who you are. I appreciated being rewarded with weapons for doing gang wars. I wasnt a big fan of the races and didnt do that many of them.

I do have a few issues with the DLC.

A story of this nature needs to be drawn out a touch longer. To me it felt a little rushed at the end. While the FIB are involved at the beginning they are eliminated rather early on. While this builds the friendship with Fitz it really feels thrown in there.

Speaking of Fitz.... we have another thread on that here so i wont go super indepth... but really. After all that we go through with him. Especially after saving him from torture in the basement. He is merely written off with "jims dead". You have got to be kidding me. It should have never happened that way. They should have stuck with Billy being the bad guy/main boss. If billy was orchestrating the abduction of Jim by a rival biker gang from behind prison walls ....it would have made us grow in hate Billy a bit more and seeking vengeance in the final act would make more sense. It would really make us think... "We have to put a stop to this".

Ray imo didnt need to be involved as heavily in this story. But thats just my opinion.

As for Billy....he just never seemed like "end boss" material. We have little altercations with Him and Johnny but it seems a bit forced. I found his character interesting then he is abruptly locked up. To me... I get that Billy is the "bad guy" because the game tells me so but he doesnt feel like the game should end in me killing him.

If the game was written differently it should have had Johnny killing Ray. It would have made more sense and been more rewarding to the player story wise after what you go through with Jim.

The AOD is also something that doesnt feel right to me. I think they should have been more heavily involved in the story. Especially since in IV you hear and read about this supposed gang war. Was the addition of "gang wars" supposed to take care of this? I would have like to see more story about why they are battling.

A possible solution i thought of was instead of Ray kidnapping Jim.... the AOD do it on orders of someone else. In my idea it was billy who was working with the AOD to bring forth the demise of Johnny and the Lost after he is incarcerated. Brian could have been more involved in the abduction which would establish him as an advisary and not some fat weasel.

Then at the end we lose the club house and get stuck with Brian's rat hole? Thats backwards. I dont feel rewarded for completing this game. I dont care if this is supposed to be some gritty real world reality.... its a video game. I want some sort of feeling of accomplishment when i complete it.

The clubhouse was something they succeed with. To have it removed at the end seems counter productive to me.

So this said i would give TLAD an 8.7

What are your thoughts? I would be interested to hear them

Tanoh
  • Tanoh

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 August 2009 - 11:17 AM

I'm a bit annoyed with TL&D.

It's a nice expansion and lot of gameplay for a low price, that's the plus side.

On the downside, there's a lot more in my mind though.

One of the main appeals (at least for me) in the GTA series has been the freedom to do missions the way you want to do them, not the way the mission designer thought you should do them. Say you're going to kill a guy, the game doesn't care if you use an attack helicopter with half the cities police after you, or if you sneak up on him and stab him with a knife. Just get it done. TL&D almost demanded that you should be on a motorcycle for most missions, I found that boring and constrictive.

And other small annoyances as the radio always tuning to some crappy rock station despite what I had chosen the last time.

All in all, a decent expansion. Nothing I'll remember for a long time, but plenty of gameplay for a good price. Looking forward to the next expansion.

ScotchMouth
  • ScotchMouth

Single malt no ice

• Members

Posted 19 August 2009 - 04:38 AM

QUOTE (Tanoh @ Aug 17 2009, 06:17)

One of the main appeals (at least for me) in the GTA series has been the freedom to do missions the way you want to do them, not the way the mission designer thought you should do them. Say you're going to kill a guy, the game doesn't care if you use an attack helicopter with half the cities police after you, or if you sneak up on him and stab him with a knife. Just get it done. TL&D almost demanded that you should be on a motorcycle for most missions, I found that boring and constrictive.

I agree with you there. To me one of the things that made the game enjoyable was coming up with different creative ways to beat missions. Infact i try to come up with something creative right off the bat. So i can see where you are coming from on that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users