Photo

PC Version [at] gamescom 2009 ?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
162 replies to this topic
Jimbo_V
  • Jimbo_V

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:56 PM Edited by Jimbo_V, 06 August 2009 - 08:59 PM.

I can run GTA 4, but not very well due to that I run it on a Laptop. But Christmas I will get a Good PC and I would buy TLAD and TBOGT if they would come to PC. Even if I have to play them at my Laptop, that won't matter. Because I LOVE GTA. My first GTA was Vice City I played it at Xbox with a friend. And the feeling this Miami Weather and this 80's feeling was great. Loved it. Then I bought SA and I liked the Gangsta, Ghetto feeling. The Story was great too. Then I bought GTA 3, and yeah I really liked the Story. I really would like a GTA that plays in a New, remaked Vice City. The Feeling was the Best. A Vice City with GTA 4 Graphic. I Would buy it.

Yeah and I love GTA 4. I really want to play as Johnny. I like him. He's that Badass Guy no mother would like to have him as her daughters boyfriend.
I think that TLAD and TBOGT are important to understand the whole Story of Liberty City and IV.
They HAVE to bring it up to PC.

Warlord.
  • Warlord.

:O

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:56 PM

I've been thinking, even though M$ tries to get games on the 360 only to combat piracy on Windows, all it does it attract the PC pirates to the 360. 360 piracy is growing REALLY fast even though you don't hear much about it. At this rate, 360 piracy has the potential to be as big as PC piracy in a few years. Especially with more and more "big" exclusives coming out.

FullMetal
  • FullMetal

Non-Retard

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 06 August 2009 - 09:02 PM

That's what MS needs, piracy on Xbox. Seriously, it's the only way to shake them up and make them realise how they should reorganise the business.

I don't say I support piracy... and no one should pirate games... but it's the only way to show MS how they should get their sh*t sorted out and quit raping PC gaming... and quit overly promoting Xbox.

And yeah, new update => More Xbox Live on your PC! Get it now and buy yourself a gold account in order to play online games on the PC! Enjoy our Xbox formula on your PC! Don't forget to buy controllers since we are going to f*ck mouse/keyboard controls up!

WhatsPoppin
  • WhatsPoppin

Spreading peace and friendship wherever I post

• Members

Posted 07 August 2009 - 01:10 AM

QUOTE (CharmingCharlie @ Aug 4 2009, 01:38)
I had an xbox 360, I got rid of it because I was appalled at how bad the graphics were. The day the PC version was announced I was over the moon. Since playing GTA 4 on my PC at FIVE times the settings of your xbox 360 I could never go back to the lo-res blurred mess that passes for graphics on the consoles.

I want The Lost and Damned on the PC because a) the PC is the home of GTA and b) I want to see the Lost and Damned in crystal clear high resolution graphics.

You are happy to settle for less then good for you, I am not. I know the DLC will appear on the PC sooner or later because MS has a vested interest in seeing it on the PC. Remember it is MS that controls this DLC and they will be the one's that decide which format gets it. It isn't too far a stretch to see MS try and give their GFWL service a boost by releasing the DLC later this year.

When that time comes I will enjoy playing the DLC and seeing all the tiny details that you miss on the console version due to the low 720p res and horrendous Vaseline blur.

I respect you charlie but when i read this i punched my monitor, The PC can display better graphics but the things i need to do to my PC is too much effort and time when i can just put down 300 dollars and get me a Box i guess it be even worse for me because i got a Below-Crap computer but still the Consoles are easier for people who are not tech-minded or well off in terms of money and the consoles arent a vaseline smear mess they look fine they dont have to be ultra cool graphics because the graphics are already good i can see enbseries to SA for example because SA graphics were not that good but IV graphics are spectacular so the need for enhancement just looks like dollars flying away from my pocket that i could be buying TLAD with for example. I went to a few stores and getting a machine that can work GTA IV perfectly cost as much as a PS3 in my area so i just got a 360 now i got TLAD and IV and am very happy

Also since when was 720p bad graphics shoot the games that came out towards the end of the PS2's life span are pretty good lookin and thbey are even less that 720p right?

Nem Wan
  • Nem Wan

The Artist Formerly Known As Magic_Al

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 August 2009 - 02:42 AM

I'll also defend the 360's graphics. Part of the comparison has to be cost in both money and time. If you want to spend a lot more of both of course you can make a PC game look amazing, and once you've done that I totally get that you wouldn't want to go back. But I don't think those people should deny that plenty of other people are delighted they don't have to work like scientists calibrating the Hubble Space Telescope before they can enjoy a new game.

heat84
  • heat84

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 07 August 2009 - 04:38 AM

QUOTE (Magic_Al @ Aug 6 2009, 21:42)
But I don't think those people should deny that plenty of other people are delighted they don't have to work like scientists calibrating the Hubble Space Telescope before they can enjoy a new game.

I'll agree with that. Its really annoying. But its better than having no settings like I guess consoles do.

Jimbatron
  • Jimbatron

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 07 August 2009 - 12:50 PM

Microsoft bought the exclusitivity deal for the DLC, so it will be their decision more than R*'s. From a business perspective, you can understand why they won't want it appearing on the PS3, because that is directly in competition with their XBox. However, I think they are missing a trick if they don't allow it to be made available on the PC, especially since it is under the GFWL platform. Why not get the extra sales? They may not be is impressive as the console figures, but you might as well have the extra revenue. I may be wrong, but I expect porting the DLC wouldn't be that expensive. I'm guessing the hard part was setting up the engine for the PC and the city itself. Adding extra missions shouldn't be that hard when they've already been scripted, and you've already paid the voice actors for the cut scenes, etc.

Kimd41
  • Kimd41

SRS

• Members

Posted 07 August 2009 - 02:34 PM

QUOTE (Street Mix @ Aug 5 2009, 21:16)
There will be no PC-Version of TLAD.

http://translate.goo...&hl=de&ie=UTF-8

In Original:
http://www.computerb...ng-4584233.html

confused.gif

Hehe, nice. "We're not going to release TLaD on PC/PS3 but we'll show you 2 videos that you've seen already. 2 videos from the game that was released 6 months ago." mercie_blink.gif whatsthat.gif notify.gif

I also can't wait for the Half-Life 2 debut trailer at Gamecom 09.

This is the reason I think it's coming.

Insom
  • Insom

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 08 August 2009 - 05:44 AM

QUOTE (Jimbatron @ Aug 7 2009, 08:50)
Microsoft bought the exclusitivity deal for the DLC, so it will be their decision more than R*'s. From a business perspective, you can understand why they won't want it appearing on the PS3, because that is directly in competition with their XBox. However, I think they are missing a trick if they don't allow it to be made available on the PC, especially since it is under the GFWL platform. Why not get the extra sales? They may not be is impressive as the console figures, but you might as well have the extra revenue. I may be wrong, but I expect porting the DLC wouldn't be that expensive. I'm guessing the hard part was setting up the engine for the PC and the city itself. Adding extra missions shouldn't be that hard when they've already been scripted, and you've already paid the voice actors for the cut scenes, etc.

PC version of GTA IV sold like 50,000 copies. There is no extra sales for them to get.

Street Mix
  • Street Mix

Boss

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 August 2009 - 06:23 AM

PC version of GTA IV sold like 50,000 copies.

On the first day in America only? Don't forget about digital sales and other regions. Seriously I feel it was sold 1 mln copies already.

lh1
  • lh1

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 08 August 2009 - 06:29 AM

QUOTE (Street Mix @ Aug 8 2009, 06:23)
PC version of GTA IV sold like 50,000 copies.

On the first day in America only? Don't forget about digital sales and other regions. Seriously I feel it was sold 1 mln copies already.

That's right! I supposed with the release of TLAD on PC, which will required original GTA IV PC, will eventually boost the PC sales!

Neon25
  • Neon25

Proud PC gamer

• Members

Posted 08 August 2009 - 09:16 AM

It definately sold more than 1mln copies. GTA is a well-known franchise, and if the game like The Witcher (great RPG based on books by Polish writer, Andrzej Sapkowski), that was unknown before, and released from a country like Poland sold more than 1mln copies it means something.

Jimbatron
  • Jimbatron

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 August 2009 - 05:28 PM

Well, I guess it is not just how many people bought the game on the PC - but how many of those people would be willing to pay the money for an add on.

Just looking at R*'s social club, 98,557 people have completed the story missions. I figure if you can be bothered to play the game for 30 hrs +, you'd probably fork out the $19.99 for an expansion (assuming they'd charge the same on PC as for the XBox) - and the list is growing (aprox 130 people completed it for the first time yesterday alone). So lets say, a reasonable target of 100k sales. As I said, I don't know what the costs of porting the game are, but I don't think they'd be that much. I think a conservative estimate of the margin made would be 75% (for DLC, no packaging or transportation costs). So that would be a reasonable gross profit target of $1.5m. Ok - it's not massive compared to what you might make in the console market, but you'd rather have it than not, right? You then can start thinking about sales down the line in retail where you sell the original and episodes as a bundle. I actually think there is more to be had there. The big problem was on the PC they released it too early before all the bugs had been solved - and I think bad publicity may have dented early sales. Plus, it's very demanding on hardware, and as time goes on more people will own PCs that can cope with GTA4. A bundled pack with extra episodes would be a good way to attract people who were put off the first time round.

I reckon there is atleast $2m revenue to be had per episode via download on the PC - it all boils down to how difficult (i.e. expensive) it is to port. Anybody have any ideas on this?

DRMetzger
  • DRMetzger

The doctor is in.......sane

• Members

Posted 09 August 2009 - 07:08 PM

QUOTE (Jimbatron @ Aug 9 2009, 13:28)
Well, I guess it is not just how many people bought the game on the PC - but how many of those people would be willing to pay the money for an add on.

Just looking at R*'s social club, 98,557 people have completed the story missions. I figure if you can be bothered to play the game for 30 hrs +, you'd probably fork out the $19.99 for an expansion (assuming they'd charge the same on PC as for the XBox) - and the list is growing (aprox 130 people completed it for the first time yesterday alone).

Yea but how many people play offline or with xliveless? Seems like quite a few do reading the forums.

FelipeVinhao
  • FelipeVinhao

Under construction, sorry for the inconvenience

• Members

Posted 11 August 2009 - 05:47 AM

Reading this full topic again made me think of some points that everyone should be aware.

Why DLC can come to PC?
- The exclusive DLC was created to boost the sales of Xbox 360. How many people now are buying an Xbox just to play GTA4 and the exclusive DLC? The heat isn't as high as before, so a release for PC can be a little boost... for Microsoft as a whole, note that, not only Xbox sales.
- Just because only less than 100,000 finished the story it doesn't mean that only few people has the PC game. First many people play with xlive.dll on. Second GFWL doesn't work well for GTA4 on some countries other than EUA and from Europe (personal experience from a Brazilian here). Summarizing, the number of sales we should have in mind, not the number of people showing their achievements...
- If the "episodes package" was released only for PC (on the normal price of a full game), and the Xbox version still required the original GTA4 to be able to play, both consoles and companies would take advantage of it: the Xbox would still be saling the console and the basic game to play the unexpensive DLC, and the PC would have 2 full games being sold.
- The game doesn't need to be "ported" to PC because it's developed (that is, coded and modeled) on a PC, so it's basically "do some fixes, test it, box it". Ok, not really, but it's to understand that there's no need to port.

Why DLC can't come to PC?
- A deal is a deal. Rockstar won't risk paying for not following the Microsoft rules. Not that a new agreement can't be done...
- A new DLC is coming, so both Rockstar and Microsoft are wishful about it. If TBOGT sales are good, it won't be released on PC because the Xbox version of the game was profitable; if the sales are bad, it won't be released on PC because the game itself wasn't profitable. Simply as that. tounge.gif
- "Why do you want DLC on PC? Don't you have a video editor and the possibility to play multiplayer with 15 friends?"

Jimbatron
  • Jimbatron

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 August 2009 - 07:39 AM

QUOTE (FelipeVinhao @ Aug 11 2009, 05:47)

- Just because only less than 100,000 finished the story it doesn't mean that only few people has the PC game.

Agreed that much more people will have bought the game (I couldn't find the stats though) - but I thought that this was a good conservative estimate of what a DLC might sell, and therefore $2m is likely to be the low end of the revenue you could expect from flogging it on the PC. As you point out, if it is coded on PC for the XBox, then the costs of making it available on the PC should be low, making the margin on sales very high. So they might as well take the easy profit and everyone is a winner - should even be enough to give Microsoft a slice of the pie to keep them happy.

ExitiumMachina
  • ExitiumMachina

What?

• Members

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:04 PM

QUOTE (CharmingCharlie @ Aug 6 2009, 20:08)
QUOTE (Street Mix @ Aug 6 2009, 20:47)
Where did you get these numbers? I doubt Steam and D2D sales were included (people are so lazy nowdays so they prefer to download instead of getting retail copy). And don't forget about Europe (Germany, Sweden etc.) and the rest of the world.

The numbers came from here , I know they are only US numbers and I clearly indicated that. Oh and lets stop fooling ourselves with the old "oh and that doesn't count steam sales" sh*t. The sales numbers are going down at an alarming rate. It is blatantly obvious that GTA 4 was pirated to hell and back on the PC by bastards that were just after a free lunch and no amount of "oh well that doesn't include steam sales" will counteract that.

Now we have rumours and hints that we will get TLaD and already some are saying they are going to steal it or torrent it. If you think GTA 4 is a bad port then leave it alone, if you disagree with the DLC then leave it alone. I will quite happily pay for the DLC when it comes to the PC and if people want to see GTA continue on the PC they would do well to do the same.

Exactly, why put something out that is just going to be stolen? Doesn't make much sense, does it? I bought GTA 4 for PS3, 360, and twice for PC (Digital, DVD). If we do get TLaD they will be looking at the sales and decide whether or not they will develop further on PC...honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if TLaD is the last GTA the PC sees because of everyone cracking and ripping it. suicidal.gif

FelipeVinhao
  • FelipeVinhao

• Members

Posted 13 August 2009 - 09:37 PM

I smell the relation between piracy and PC in the air. So here it goes again: the Xbox version (not the PC version) was on P2P networks 1 week before the actual release... So this is the last edition of GTA for Xbox because of piracy?

CharmingCharlie
  • CharmingCharlie

Proud PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 13 August 2009 - 09:42 PM

I wondered when someone would bring xbox piracy up. The difference between xbox piracy and PC piracy is despite the piracy the xbox still shifted close to 6 million copies. The PC on the other hand won't come close to that. In reality piracy means nothing what matters is number of copies sold.

However despite all this I still firmly believe GTA has a future on the PC, I believe ENOUGH copies have been sold on the PC to make it "worth it" and since MS are calling the shots on this DLC I believe it is just a matter of time before we see it on the PC.

Mr.D
  • Mr.D

KrazzyDJ

• Members

Posted 14 August 2009 - 04:30 PM

Even if there's a TLAD for the PC, I feel it will arrive only after all the DLCs for the XBOX are out. Coz if it does, people will become aware of this which could affect future DLC sales for the XBOX.

thales100
  • thales100

TripleHeader

• Members

Posted 15 August 2009 - 11:23 AM

QUOTE (Mr.D @ Aug 14 2009, 16:30)
Even if there's a TLAD for the PC, I feel it will arrive only after all the DLCs for the XBOX are out. Coz if it does, people will become aware of this which could affect future DLC sales for the XBOX.

Thats an interesting point.

GamerShotgun
  • GamerShotgun

The main protagonist.

• Members

Posted 15 August 2009 - 03:50 PM

It's interesting but pointless, since Microsoft both owns Windows Live and Xbox Live. I think it's obvious they'll use Live to distribute PC DLC's for Grand Theft Auto IV.

FelipeVinhao
  • FelipeVinhao

• Members

Posted 16 August 2009 - 03:53 AM

QUOTE (Mr.D @ Aug 14 2009, 14:30)

But this is obvious. If they simply say now that DLC will come tomorrow, the sales for (and of) Xbox would drop. That's why by now there's no even trace that it'll come for PC, doesn't matter if it will or won't.

Barritt101
  • Barritt101

DE BOS

• Members

Posted 16 August 2009 - 10:03 AM

QUOTE (Jimbo_V @ Aug 3 2009, 12:47)
YES! YES! AND YES! Jesus f*cking Christ YES! biggrin.gif   biggrin.gif   biggrin.gif   inlove.gif   cool.gif   colgate.gif   blush.gif
It's finally coming to PC.

But we all knew that it would come sooner or later.  smile.gif

i dont trust that website looks dodgy im waaiting till gta4.net announces it

heat84
  • heat84

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 16 August 2009 - 01:28 PM

QUOTE (Barritt101 @ Aug 16 2009, 05:03)
i dont trust that website looks dodgy im waaiting till gta4.net announces it

That's what I said I about this site way back when. tounge.gif

RYO_91
  • RYO_91

Rat

• Members

Posted 30 August 2009 - 01:04 AM

this is like star wars the force unleashed, a year ago it was released on the consoles and every pc gamer was complaining about it(including me), now after a year that everything has calmdown on the consoles its being released on pc with the ultima sith edition which is like episodes from liberty city, im 100% sure that the dlc will get to pc (without mentioning that im a very pesimist guy)

JohnZS
  • JohnZS

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 30 August 2009 - 11:16 AM

It is rather concerning that since Gamescom 2009 we have not heard anything... not even a single screenshot or trailer!
Yet alone an official announcement from R*

Hydro_PT
  • Hydro_PT

THE S.T.A.L.KE.R.

• Members

Posted 30 August 2009 - 11:59 AM

I wouldn't be expecting any info about the DLCs on the PC before TBOGT is released.

If they announce TLAD now for the PC, some people would certainly not buy the 2nd DLC because they knew it would also appear on the PC. Microsoft isn't done yet with this deal, remember that. It's two "exclusive" DLCs, not one. Only after the 2nd is released and the sales finally drop, they will announce it on the PC, and we will probably get both DLCs in one package.

Before that I wouldn't expect any official confirmation. That would ruin the sales for Microsoft.

ilipilli
  • ilipilli

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 30 August 2009 - 03:38 PM

hey guys i'm new here...

well, i followed the dicussion the whole time and i wonder about one fact that wasn't even mentioned.
personally i'm not sure about the release on pc (got to say that i play gta on pc).
but there is one thing that can't get out of my head:

my friend plays world of warcraft and he told me that in the patch numbers there is a secret!!
every number has a special meaning.

so if you look at the patches the newest is 1.0.4.0
the 1 means its the basic game. the 4 means that in the basic game they fix something
but what is the 0 between for?
well i think its for any content that its coming to pc.
i don't say it is TLAD or TBOGT!! but there is coming some DLC to PC!
perhaps its only pc exclusive or it'll be the same as the xbox users!!

greetings..

lh1
  • lh1

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 30 August 2009 - 05:03 PM

QUOTE (ilipilli @ Aug 30 2009, 15:38)
hey guys i'm new here...

well, i followed the dicussion the whole time and i wonder about one fact that wasn't even mentioned.
personally i'm not sure about the release on pc (got to say that i play gta on pc).
but there is one thing that can't get out of my head:

my friend plays world of warcraft and he told me that in the patch numbers there is a secret!!
every number has a special meaning.

so if you look at the patches the newest is 1.0.4.0
the 1 means its the basic game. the 4 means that in the basic game they fix something
but what is the 0 between for?
well i think its for any content that its coming to pc.
i don't say it is TLAD or TBOGT!! but there is coming some DLC to PC!
perhaps its only pc exclusive or it'll be the same as the xbox users!!

greetings..

Actually, I would be happy to see that it is not pc exclusive, but for all the platforms.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users