Photo

PROMETHEUS

119 replies to this topic
Don Garcia
  • Don Garcia

Dolls Kill

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 01 August 2009 - 08:36 PM Edited by Don Garcia, 03 August 2009 - 01:12 PM.

Yup. The man who started it all in '79, and then sat out all the sequels is back to direct a prequel to Alien. Source

The plot? As of yet, unknown. Thanks John. But here's the plot to the original film...

The crew of a commercial towing ship returning to Earth is awakened and sent to respond to a distress signal from a nearby planetoid. The crew discovers too late that the signal generated by an empty ship was meant to warn them.

The movie's being penned by Jon Spaihts, who has written two other outer-space films, Shadow 19 and Passengers. I've never heard of either of those.

And what about Ripley? Well in Sigourney's own words, "I don't see how Ripley could be part of a prequel." And, "I'm glad Ridley's connected to it because I know it will be classy." Source

So there ya go. We're gonna have an new Predator movie, and a new Alien movie. Long live film franchises.

Rebel
  • Rebel

Woop Woop!

• The Connection
  • Olympics

Posted 01 August 2009 - 08:43 PM

I heard about this Alien prequel quite awhile ago. Have to say I'm pretty pleased since I've always liked the films, especially since there's a woman as the lead star. I heard that Sigourney might of made a little tiny appearance in the film, but hell if she doesn't I'm still looking forward to this. Lets just hope it isn't going to ruin the series.

DemonKing
  • DemonKing

There's no love in your violence.

• Members

Posted 02 August 2009 - 09:20 PM

This is good to hear, I'm glad Ridley's on this and not some sh*tcan director who would end up botching it up like AvP etc. I was hoping he'd give some explantion with the space jockeys found in the first film, who knows maybe he still will. It would be cool to see that though, as I've always wondered about their story.

Hope he gets a good cast onboard, and it's ridley so we might be seeing Crowe, maybe? Not sure if thats good or bad.

John The Grudge
  • John The Grudge

Soldier

• Members

Posted 03 August 2009 - 08:36 AM Edited by John The Grudge, 03 August 2009 - 09:02 AM.

QUOTE (Don Garcia @ Aug 1 2009, 20:36)
The crew of a commercial towing ship returning to Earth is awakened and sent to respond to a distress signal from a nearby planetoid. The crew discovers too late that the signal generated by an empty ship was meant to warn them.

This is the plot of Alien. The plot of the prequel hasn't been revealed yet.

I was hoping the origins of this would be explained:
user posted image
It appeared in Alien and is known as the "Space Jockey." It's been speculated that the Xenomorphs were created, perhaps as weapons, by this race.

From Wikipedia:
The Book of Alien notes that the actors and crew felt instinctively that the Space Jockey was a benign creature, though they could not say why. In the bonus materials of the special edition Alien DVD, director Ridley Scott expresses the opinion that a film exploring the backstory of the Space Jockey would be an interesting direction for the series to take.

Vanilla Shake
  • Vanilla Shake

<629

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:20 AM

As long as Ridley Scott's back and it won't be a remake, then maybe I'll check it out. Although I don't have high hopes. First two films in the series were outstanding. Plus I'm not even sure if I want to know the actual back story to the xenomorphs and the space jockey. It would kill any mystery that was left behind from the first one as to what they are and how they came to be.

John The Grudge
  • John The Grudge

Soldier

• Members

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:47 AM

QUOTE (Vanilla Shake @ Aug 3 2009, 11:20)
As long as Ridley Scott's back and it won't be a remake, then maybe I'll check it out. Although I don't have high hopes. First two films in the series were outstanding. Plus I'm not even sure if I want to know the actual back story to the xenomorphs and the space jockey. It would kill any mystery that was left behind from the first one as to what they are and how they came to be.

The way I see it, either the prequel is about the Space Jockey and what happened to him and his fellow crew members or it's just another film about humans fighting off some Xenomorphs and I can't see Ridley wanting to do that.

Don Garcia
  • Don Garcia

Dolls Kill

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 03 August 2009 - 01:14 PM

People are saying this might just be a Ripley origins story. So, a young, badass(er) Ripley.

Vanilla Shake
  • Vanilla Shake

<629

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 03 August 2009 - 02:22 PM

QUOTE (Don Garcia @ Aug 3 2009, 09:14)
People are saying this might just be a Ripley origins story. So, a young, badass(er) Ripley.

That would make no sense. How would there be any xenomorphs in it then?

Sweets
  • Sweets

Pяopagaиda Iиc.

• Feroci
  • Unknown

Posted 03 August 2009 - 03:03 PM

^
I agree. I see no way there can be any Ripley in this. If it's set before Alien, then Ripley isn't a badass, she's just an annoying bitch on a ship that tows crap around. Since this is an Alien prequel, and not a "boring space tug boat" prequel, I don't see Ripley making an appearance.

I'd like to see something of the space jockeys. There has been all sorts of speculation on them. Did they create the xenomorphs, did they find them, were they studying them, just unfortunate enough to pick some up before being infected with them, or were they using them as a form of weapon, etc. Even Scott and Cameron had different opinions on which would be the case. While I'd really like to see something on that, I doubt it too. Making a decent story with a bunch of giant aliens and no people doesn't seem very likely. Also, if you consider any of the comics/novels canon, then they've been dead for like one or two million years.

Even though it could take place anytime from the flashback sequences in AVP (pre-written human history) onward, I doubt they'll have it set in the past, and I seriously hope they won't be setting it present day. I expect it'll be a story that takes place anytime between the time of the second AVP movie and the first Alien movie, hopefully much closer to the latter.

Knowing how "writers" these days suck at both originality, and sticking to canon, I expect a big steaming pile of retcon.

Since the (unfortunately crappy) AVP movies showed us how both Weyland Industries and whoever owned the Yutani (corporation?) were aware of both the predators and the aliens long before they even combined into one company, I expect it to be something to do with that.

They'll probably do something cheap, like for example say that Weyland-Yutani wasn't just randomly looking for any signs of xenomorphs or predators for a hundred years, but instead had purposely sent the Nostromo near enough to LV-426 to pick up the signal, which they knew was there because of the people that found it originally, who this story will be about.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 03 August 2009 - 04:39 PM

Hart brought this up a while ago, and there was some considerable twisted panties going on.

http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=412665

They've got a really loaded franchise here - I'd live to see something that makes up for Ressurection.

Pretty stoked to see Ridley Scott's directly involved now, because the f*cking guy bows to no one. He'll make whatever he wants to; not a piece of fan service, and not a popcorn throw away flick either.

Vanilla Shake
  • Vanilla Shake

<629

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 03 August 2009 - 04:58 PM

QUOTE (Sweets @ Aug 3 2009, 11:03)
Since the (unfortunately crappy) AVP movies showed us how both Weyland Industries and whoever owned the Yutani (corporation?) were aware of both the predators and the aliens long before they even combined into one company, I expect it to be something to do with that.

They'll probably do something cheap, like for example say that Weyland-Yutani wasn't just randomly looking for any signs of xenomorphs or predators for a hundred years, but instead had purposely sent the Nostromo near enough to LV-426 to pick up the signal, which they knew was there because of the people that found it originally, who this story will be about.

I'm hoping that it won't have anything to do with the AVP movies. It was already implied in Alien and Aliens that the company knew about what was there, with Burke trying to get the facehuggers onto the ship, kill everyone else and make up a bullsh*t story, and Ash turning out to be an android in the original, with the ship's computer stating that they must bring back the life form and that all lives were expendable in the process.

Hopefully Scott makes it a good one, and Otter's point has made me a bit more optimistic. I like most of his films, and I've yet to see one where he's just in it for the money or to appease the masses. But I do have my doubts because I literally grew up on the first two films. Alien is the greatest horror movie I've ever seen, and Aliens is what got me into action/sci-fi flicks. I can remember when I first watched Alien with my father back in the '90s. I was scared sh*tless. The scene in the air ducts with Dallas still lingers in my head, and I can remember first viewing the director's cut back in '03. Years after I had seen it and grown accustomed to it, seeing some of the additional scenes did give me some goosebumps.

And I can't even imagine a standalone Alien film without Sigourney Weaver in it. It doesn't seem right to me is all. But then again, I'd say a standalone Alien film with Scott at the helm is better than a third AVP.

I don't know. I'll have to wait and see how the project pans out.

John The Grudge
  • John The Grudge

Soldier

• Members

Posted 04 August 2009 - 07:23 AM

The thought that Scott's film will acknowledge any of the nonsense from the AVP films is laughable.

The story will probably involve a crew (possibly working for Weyland-Yutani) discovering the Derelict, prior to Ripley and crew, and investigating the ship and it's crew before encountering and capturing a Xenomorph. They'll also retrieve some kind of data or log from the Derelict that will show us what happened to it and it's crew. The Xenomorph will kill the entire crew before they reach earth.

Don Garcia
  • Don Garcia

Dolls Kill

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 23 April 2010 - 07:39 PM

Finally, some news. Very informative Q&A between Rid and MTV. Here's the plot by the way....

Scott: It's set in 2085, about 30 years before Sigourney [Weaver's character Ellen Ripley]. It's fundamentally about going out to find out 'Who the hell was that Space Jockey?' The guy who was sitting in the chair in the alien vehicle — there was a giant fellow sitting in a seat on what looked to be either a piece of technology or an astronomer's chair. Remember that?

MTV: Of course.

Scott: And our man [Tom Skerritt as Captain Dallas] climbs up and says "There's been an explosion in his chest from the inside out — what was that?" I'm basically explaining who that Space Jockey — we call him the Space Jockey — I'm explaining who the space jockeys were.

MTV: And is the Weyland-Yutani company in existence at this point?

Scott: It's Weyland. Weyland hasn't joined Yutani yet, so they go and see Weyland. [The film] is about the discussion of terraforming — taking planets and planetoids and balls of earth and trying to terraform, seed them with the possibilities of future life.

I guess I should just copy-and-paste the rest of the Q&A? Here...

MTV: We're very excited about your return to the "Aliens" world — what's going on with it at this point?

Ridley Scott: As we speak, I've got a pile of pages next to me; it's like the fourth draft. It's a work in progress, but we're not dreaming it up anymore. We know what the story is. We're now actually trying to improve the three acts and make the characters better, build it up to something [we can shoot]. It's a work in progress, but we're actually making the film. There's no question about it, we're going to make the film.

MTV: Awesome.

Scott: Now it's a matter of, how good can I get the screenplay in the next few weeks so I can get a good ballpark figure of what it will cost. I've already got people working graphically on designs for the various requirements of the film.

MTV: Since this is a prequel, will you need to make the ships more primitive-looking than in "Alien"?

**Refer to Quote**

MTV: We know how obsessive "Alien" fans can get. Are you going to make a film that doesn't require having seen any of the other movies?

Scott: Totally. Yes. [People will still get it], because there's a lot of copying, dude.

MTV: There's a lot of copying of your movies.

Scott: There's a lot of homage. Is that the polite word? Homage? I call it something else. [Laughs.]

MTV: Will Sigourney Weaver have any participation at all?

Scott: It will be before she was born!

MTV: So not even a voice-over, explaining things? Nothing?

Scott: Well, the main character [in the prequel] will be a woman, yeah. We're thinking it could go down that route, yeah. When I started the original "Alien," Ripley wasn't a woman, it was a guy. During casting, we thought, "Why don't we make it a woman?"

MTV: So will you be creating new aliens for your prequel?

Scott: What you have to do is — were there four or five "Alien" films? I can't remember how many followed.

MTV: There were three after you, then the "Alien vs. Predator" nonsense.

Scott: Yeah, the thing about "Alien vs. Predator" is, I know it's commerce, but what a pity. I think, therefore, I have to design — or redesign — earlier versions of what these elements are that led to the thing you finally see in "Alien," which is the thing that catapults out of the egg, the face-hugger.

MTV: OK.

Scott: I don't want to repeat it. The alien in a sense, as a shape, is worn out.

MTV: Will you consult the original alien designer, H.R. Giger, on these ideas?

Scott: Yeah, he's still around. Once I get more serious and get going, and the big wheels start turning, we'll certainly talk. And maybe we'll come up with something completely different.

MTV: In your mind, when do cameras begin rolling on the film?

Scott: We're hoping to have it in theaters in late 2011, or maybe the best date in 2012.

MTV: Have you given any thought on how you'll feel when you walk on set that first time, how you'll deal with the déjà vu from 1979?

Scott: Yeah, it'll be weird, because I always said I'll never do a sequel. [Laughs.]

MTV: What made you change your mind?

Scott: Honestly? They've squeezed the franchise dry. The first one will always be the most frightening, because the beast we put together with Giger and all its parts — the face-hugger, the chest-burster, the egg — they were all totally original, and that's hard to follow. ... I've always avoided sequels, unless I felt there was something fresh.

BOOM.

d0mm2k8
  • d0mm2k8

ad infinitum

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 24 April 2010 - 12:18 AM

Quick, everybody! Rush to the Alien fansites to see the hardcore fanboys complain!

Don Garcia
  • Don Garcia

Dolls Kill

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 24 April 2010 - 11:59 PM

So now Ridley is saying there's going to be TWO Alien prequel films. Whoa.

Horse

d0mm2k8
  • d0mm2k8

ad infinitum

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 25 April 2010 - 12:08 AM

QUOTE (Don Garcia @ Apr 25 2010, 00:59)
So now Ridley is saying there's going to be TWO Alien prequel films. Whoa.

Horse

I don't see why it should be two, as it could be more than good enough with just one.

Planning two movies almost spells out 'FAIL' but Ridley gives hope.

ZombieFrogger
  • ZombieFrogger

Hail Mastermind!

• Members

Posted 25 April 2010 - 12:30 AM

Cool A Prequal ive always wonderd how they got so blood thirsty and etc.

makeshyft
  • makeshyft

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 25 April 2010 - 09:09 AM

user posted image

AreXi
  • AreXi

Quack Quack

• Members

Posted 25 April 2010 - 09:14 AM

QUOTE (ZombieFrogger @ Apr 25 2010, 02:30)

user posted image

Vanilla Shake
  • Vanilla Shake

<629

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 25 April 2010 - 09:45 AM

QUOTE (ZombieFrogger @ Apr 24 2010, 20:30)

You're a f*cking idiot. Are you aware of this fact?

Andyzoot
  • Andyzoot

Player Hater

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 25 April 2010 - 09:52 AM

QUOTE (ZombieFrogger @ Apr 25 2010, 01:30)

Yeah it'll be great to see the time when the Aliens weren't so evil and they did good stuff like hold bake sales for the local church and help old ladies cross the street etc.

Don Garcia
  • Don Garcia

Dolls Kill

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 15 January 2011 - 03:56 AM

Kiss the alien prequel goodbye. The film has now morphed into an original idea by Ridley Scott, titled Prometheus.

QUOTE (Ridley)
While Alien was indeed the jumping off point for this project, out of the creative process evolved a new, grand mythology and universe in which this original story takes place. The keen fan will recognize strands of Alien’s DNA, so to speak, but the ideas tackled in this film are unique, large and provocative. I couldn't be more pleased to have found the singular tale I'd been searching for, and finally return to this genre that's so close to my heart.

Working with Scott is writer/producer Damon Lindelof (Lost, Star Trek) who added:

In a world flooded with prequels, sequels and reboots, I was incredibly struck by just how original Ridley's vision was for this movie. It's daring, visceral and hopefully, the last thing anyone expects. When I sat in a movie theater as a kid, feet raised off the floor for fear that something might grab my ankles, I never dreamed in my wildest imagination I would one day get to collaborate with the man responsible for it. Working alongside him has been nothing short of a dream come true.

Evidence

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Movies & TV] 2013

Posted 15 January 2011 - 04:41 AM

Wow, that's surprising. I wonder how they convinced Fox to let them do this.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 15 January 2011 - 11:45 AM

QUOTE (darthYENIK @ Jan 14 2011, 20:41)
Wow, that's surprising. I wonder how they convinced Fox to let them do this.

That, taken purely at face value, is a sad statement.

Spaghetti Cat
  • Spaghetti Cat

I Love Pony Farming

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 15 January 2011 - 06:19 PM

QUOTE (Otter @ Jan 15 2011, 06:45)
QUOTE (darthYENIK @ Jan 14 2011, 20:41)
Wow, that's surprising.  I wonder how they convinced Fox to let them do this.

That, taken purely at face value, is a sad statement.

How so?

I mean if I gave you a bunch of money to come out with product X and you came back some months later and said "I spent your money and came up with product Y instead." Then there might need to be some 'splaining going on Ricky.

All in all, I guess we'll see. But I was hoping to see what Ridley would do with another shot at the Aliens Franchise.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 15 January 2011 - 07:30 PM Edited by Otter, 15 January 2011 - 09:28 PM.

It's sad that it's a surprise when a legend like Ridley Scott gets funding for an original idea. I understand the 'shock' but this is not unprecedented in the least.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Movies & TV] 2013

Posted 15 January 2011 - 11:01 PM

I agree, it's sad that I went there. But that's the times we live in. Movie studios usually would rather make a quick buck, than risk a new franchise failing, even if it's from a filmmaker that has made some of the most critically acclaimed films of the past 35 years. I hope this is a sign of change.

Iminicus
  • Iminicus

Moth is Invalid

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Pitcairn-Islands

Posted 16 January 2011 - 03:19 AM

Alien Prequel has been canceled according to some sources.

Alien Prequel Canceled.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 16 January 2011 - 03:40 AM

QUOTE (Iminicus @ Jan 15 2011, 19:19)
Alien Prequel has been canceled according to some sources.

Alien Prequel Canceled.

Yeah Don posted about it. Probably for the best ~ the new project is promising.

http://en.wikipedia....ometheus_(Film)

Don Garcia
  • Don Garcia

Dolls Kill

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 29 January 2011 - 02:44 PM

So this site is claiming to have the inside scoop on Prometheus. Could be legit, could be bull. Why not read anyway?

It turns out that Ridley Scott's recent comments that Prometheus would be a departure from the Aliens series are somewhat misleading.

An exclusive source has told us that not only are HR Giger's classic aliens in it, but that they're integral to the plot.

Mere hours after the announcement that Michael Fassbender is locked in to play an android with rumoured links to Aliens' Bishop series, our insider sources have revealed that he's not the only one with strong links to the series' past.

"They’ve built the ‘space jockey’ cockpit at Pinewood as seen in the original Alien film, so it definitely takes place in the same world as Alien", they told us.

"Despite that press release that seemed to indicate there were no aliens in the movie, the familiar HR Giger-style aliens do appear. Big ones apparently."

And as for Scott's comments noting that "keen fans will recognise strands of Alien's DNA"?

It turns out there was the slightest hint of misdirection - apparently the actual DNA of the xenomorphs is integral to the plot - and will see the cast jet off to the alien homeworld itself.

"Part of the film will be shot in Morocco. I’ve heard that some sort of archaeological dig where they discover alien DNA takes place there and that DNA gives them the coordinates for an alien world. I’ve also heard Morocco is being used for alien planet landscapes so I’m not sure if it’s an archaeological dig on another planet," they revealed.

It gets weirder too, with Damon Lindelof's script set to crank up the sci-fi angle to maximum effect.

"The main spaceship in the film will be piloted by an enormous head which I assume will be CGI. Yep, sounds weird but I assume some of the technology will be sort of biomechanical."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users