Photo

Edit chase view

12 replies to this topic
skiddmark
  • skiddmark

Rat

• Members

Posted 28 July 2009 - 12:56 AM

Can I get some help with GTA4 vehOff to make the camera follow a car in a turn better and raise the default height?
Mainly in identifying which line is what view and hints on what figure sets in the line to change. icon14.gif

skiddmark
  • skiddmark

Rat

• Members

Posted 29 July 2009 - 11:08 PM Edited by skiddmark, 05 August 2009 - 02:10 AM.

In the 20 view fields per car I have eliminated all but 5 in the search for the two 3rd person behind car views to edit.
Eliminated from consideration are all the "CINEY.....", JACKED, BUSTED, etc., although I would also like to edit JACKED for a more "from the rear" view so you can get away without having to go through resetting the view to see where you're headed.
The remaining 5 are BOOT_OPEN, BONNET_FWD, BONNET_BWD, BONNET_L, and BONNET_R.
Still looking for someone who knows how the 3 "POS" entries and 3 "ANGLES" entries work.

H4milton
  • H4milton

Old timer.

• Members
  • Bangladesh

Posted 30 July 2009 - 01:59 AM

You need a camera hack sort of tool.

skiddmark
  • skiddmark

Rat

• Members

Posted 01 August 2009 - 12:31 AM

Oh yea, a tool would be sweet! But it seems like that's not going to happen since nobody knows anything about "vehOff". Everything's there and editable, apparently everyone is satisfied with R*'s default view system!
I guess it's time to start changing entries myself and pray.

shorty270490
  • shorty270490

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 02 August 2009 - 08:56 PM

i think rockstars view system is pure sh*t

honestly like having when driving wwith a 360 controller im always having to hold the rite analuag and sometime to see infront of me i have to look through the rear window lol. its just stupid

i really hope someone mods it =]

HiIneedHelp
  • HiIneedHelp

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 August 2009 - 10:09 PM

yea the camera views in this game suck bad, i was actually gonna come on here and request a "Third Person Shooter" camera kinda like First Person but Third, because whenever you shoot in this game it goes Over The Shoulder, and its cool, but I want one like GTA San Andreas just for run and gunning, I dont like stopping to shoot everytime.....

Please make a balanced car driving view and a better shooting view like this

user posted image

TSH
  • TSH

Liberty City

• Members
  • Lithuania

Posted 04 August 2009 - 08:32 AM

QUOTE (HiIneedHelp @ Aug 4 2009, 01:09)
yea the camera views in this game suck bad, i was actually gonna come on here and request a "Third Person Shooter" camera kinda like First Person but Third, because whenever you shoot in this game it goes Over The Shoulder, and its cool, but I want one like GTA San Andreas just for run and gunning, I dont like stopping to shoot everytime.....

Please make a balanced car driving view and a better shooting view like this

user posted image

when you aim you can change the view with the same button as you change cars view. It can be set to the view where can see all Niko while aiming

skiddmark
  • skiddmark

Rat

• Members

Posted 05 August 2009 - 02:23 AM

It's so bad but it could have been so good. The GPS route on the map is a way R* could have set up a camera view to anticipate the turn and actually look ahead for you. I do this with the mouse when I get a chance and it is awesome! You can even drift the turns, try that looking at the freakin side of the car! Sim gaming always has the disadvantages of a lack of FOV true life color recognition and depth of field recognition - we need to offset the disadvantages, not compound them. Besides R* forgot that users should be afforded a CHOICE.
With all the mods out there this is the most glaring example of a need for improvement. It's hard to believe nothing's been done!
I hate to do "what if" experiments and screw up so I hope someone comes alomg with some ideas how vehOff works!

skiddmark
  • skiddmark

Rat

• Members

Posted 08 August 2009 - 11:33 PM

Got a pretty good idea what to change (move bumper cam up and back), made an edit in "vehOff.csv" - no game start. Tried "repair game files from disk", no game start, had to uninstall, reinstall, re-upgrade to 1.0.4.0, re-install xliveless, replace control emulator files in SYSTEM32, re-copy my savegames, got my game back.
Now I'm scared to mess with it.

skiddmark
  • skiddmark

Rat

• Members

Posted 09 August 2009 - 06:13 AM Edited by skiddmark, 09 August 2009 - 06:16 AM.

Tried anyway, I'm so desperate for a view that makes sense.
Edits were made to "BONNET_FWD" field which places a cam behind, above and pointing slightly down for a fixed chase view.
Tested on Banshee, Comet, PMP 600, Ruiner, Turismo, Dukes and some others. Trucks and other special vehicles will probably be a little different.
Sample:
Stock: VEHICLE ruiner FIELD BONNET_FWD POS 0.007568 0.571594 0.346653 ANGLES -0.000083 0.000000 -0.000616 FOV 55.000000
Edited to: VEHICLE ruiner FIELD BONNET_FWD POS 0.000000 -6.571594 2.346653 ANGLES -0.250083 0.000000 -0.000616 FOV 55.000000
The first set of numbers in POS indicate left/right of vehicle centerline. "-" (negative)= toward passenger side. 0.000000 for center.
The second set indicates forward/back from middle of vehicle. "-" = back. Range -5.000000 to -7.000000 thereabout to put camera behind vehicle.
The third set indicates height of the camera. Range of 1.500000 to 2.500000 according to your preference. I like 2 to 2.5.
What really makes this all work is the first set of numbers after "ANGLES". Range -0.150000 to -0.250000 which points the camera downward so you can see the vehicle plus the road in front of the vehicle into the distance.
Obviously the more camera height the more "down" is needed.
Controller movement right and left is limited to 90* each. Same with shooting from vehicle.
The biggest problem is that this camera is connected to the suspension which causes a lot of bouncing, jiggling and wiggling but the advantages are remarkable. If there's a way to disconnect it it would be much better.
I'm still working on a way to limit the 2 normal whacky chase views to more fixed, not totally fixed but almost. This would retain the ability to look and shoot in all directions with a stable view.
If anybody knows which 2 views these are in the list let me know.

skiddmark
  • skiddmark

Rat

• Members

Posted 12 August 2009 - 12:22 AM Edited by skiddmark, 15 August 2009 - 01:18 AM.

OK, got "fixed" chase cam views! YEA! Also working on "lead" (looking front to rear) views so you can see the car while backing up/looking back. The 'look back' view is already a "fixed" camera.
I suspect "vehOff.csv" has nothing in it to control "fixed" VS "mobile" cam views and likewise whether the cam is attached to the suspension or not. These factors must be controlled in a different file. Anyone got a guess?
You'll notice in the normal "mobile" chase views when you 'look back' all those cams are FIXED views!
If we can find this file we can have a solid, steady, fixed chase view for the game by eliminating the "mobile" parameter attachment to a view.
Again, here's the formula:
Remove "read only" attribute from"vehOff.csv".
Open and edit with Wordpad.
Edit the 2nd FIELD in each car cam list; "BONNET_FWD POS".
The 1st POS number set (left/right of center)is not important, it's close enough to center.
The 2nd POS number set (forward/rear of center)should be edited to a range of -5.000000 to -7.000000.
The 3rd POS number set (cam height)should be edited to a range of 1.500000 to 2.500000.
The 1st ANGLE number set(angle cam up/down, precede with minus sign for down) can use the same figures as the 3rd POS set but move the decimal point one digit left such if 3rd POS set is 1.900000 then edit ANGLE 1st set as -.190000, or if 2.300000 use -.230000.
This will keep the height and the down angle in relation.
That's the basic fixed camera chase view.
You can also set the back view in the next field, "BONNET_BWD". In this case the 2nd POS number set can be edited from 5.000000 to 7.000000, 3rd POS number set and 1st ANGLE set same as for "BONNET FWD"
EXTRA INFO: You will notice in the FIELD, "BONNET_BWD" the 3rd ANGLE number set uses -3.141472 (thereabouts) which is Pi and represents 180 (directly back).
of Pi or 1.570 would be 90 and we see these numbers in the "BONNET_L" and "BONNET_R" fields. I don't know if this is what places the restriction on BONNET views left and right with the mouse and aim or not or are a dedicated LEFT and RIGHT view I haven't seen in the game (and would love to have).

skiddmark
  • skiddmark

Rat

• Members

Posted 30 August 2009 - 01:27 AM

This subject is not finished. Still need one of the original chase views made where the camera follows the car much more tightly in a turn.
My fix is working great except for the suspension bouncing and inability to look and shoot 360.
If anyone wants the file I have I can e-mail it to you. If you like it and can host it for D/L, great. PM me with your details. It's just the file "vehOff.csv", no ASI or stuff.
It's unbelievably cool, just the cars and bikes.

beaches13
  • beaches13

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:10 AM

Hey man this is really useful.  Do you know which field is used for making these adjustments when viewing the whole car from the rear?  I noticed these adjustments work when using "in-car" mode.

Thanks

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users