L.A. Noire

2,710 replies to this topic
123tm123
  • 123tm123

Peon

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 25 June 2016 - 04:53 AM

Any updates on Whore Of The Orient anyone?

Assumed dead unless Rockstar purchases the IP and takes a risk to continue it. Highly unlikely seeing that it's nothing more than a concept with an extremely early alpha build that looks like absolute dog sh*t and a name that will not sell to anyone. The game is dead, nobody is going to fund it.

As of now the IP to Whore of the Orient belongs to the same guys who bought Team Bondi and I doubt they will do anything with it.

• hoopz71 likes this

Indi
  • Indi

Don't cross the streams.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 25 June 2016 - 05:26 AM

Any updates on Whore Of The Orient anyone?

Assumed dead unless Rockstar purchases the IP and takes a risk to continue it. Highly unlikely seeing that it's nothing more than a concept with an extremely early alpha build that looks like absolute dog sh*t and a name that will not sell to anyone. The game is dead, nobody is going to fund it.

As of now the IP to Whore of the Orient belongs to the same guys who bought Team Bondi and I doubt they will do anything with it.

Seems like it:

http://www.polygon.c...orient-canceled

• Black Metal likes this

BenMitchell90
  • BenMitchell90

Assassin

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by BenMitchell90, 4 weeks ago.

I have a big soft spot for L.A. Noire, despite its considerable flaws. It's just such a cool, unique game, with a lot of love and care put into it, and while the gameplay stumbles from time to time (the interrogations, namely), I loved the investigation aspect and just driving around '40s era Los Angeles is just so cool, even though you can't really do anything with this staggeringly huge and detailed open world. And while the story stumbles as well, especially near the end, I found it to be pretty engrossing and with some fantastic characters and moments. Roy Earle is easily one of my favorite video game a**holes ever. I even liked the ending, even if it was

Spoiler

I recently bought the Xbox 360 version (I originally got it on PS3, but my PS3 died on me this year) and all the DLC for super cheap, so I've been itching to do another playthrough. I'll probably tackle one once I've worked through this huge backlog I've built up of newer games.

And even if I did see it coming after what happened to Team Bondi, what happened to Whore of the Orient is pretty sad. It was never one of my most anticipated games or anything, but from the beginning I saw it having potential.

• TheOtherRyan, Jabalous and HaythamKenway like this

RogerWho
  • RogerWho

Let watch_dogs lie

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by RogerWho, 4 weeks ago.

I'm thinking of giving this game one more shot. I already started it twice and never finished it (once on PC, once on PS3) and the disc is just sitting idle here.

The biggest problem I had with it is that it gives you immediate feedback whether you guessed right or wrong, limits your options based on that and then rates you at the end. I feel this demolishes the whole point of interactive cinema. In this kind of genre, each option should be equally valid. I mean, IRL I could never truly know whether I guessed right or wrong and whether I've not convicted someone innocent. The story further down the line should give me that feedback, not a ding and a rating. I don't like it when a game tries to punish me.

Oh well. Any chance you guys have any tips how to enjoy this better? I'm actually a big fan of these kinds of games - Beyond Two Souls and Heavy Rain which are kinda similar are among my favorites so maybe I just expected something else (even though I played LAN as the first of these 3).

TheHumanIsland
  • TheHumanIsland

See The Eye

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago

While I can see where you're coming from about choices, Roger, I mean, the game is really a detective game and wasn't marketed as much as an interactive movie and was instead more marketed as a lie detecting game. You're supposed to read the voices and faces of the people being questioned and figure it out - it makes sense for the different outcomes of cases to be based entirely on whether you detected well, or if you were a bad cop etc.

The story is pre-defined, the outcomes are based on your ability to read people or not, and usually, you can find all the clues you need before questioning. usually because sometimes there just isn't time.

RogerWho
  • RogerWho

Let watch_dogs lie

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 4 weeks ago

Okay, I started from scratch. First - woa, I totally forgot how gigantic and detailed this city is. And how silly those faces look. Nobody else is creeped out? I used to switch to B&W but then it's kinda a shame to not see that detail in color.

Anyway I'll just use a guide for the interrogations, honestly. One thing I was also reminded of that sometimes a completely legit evidence is dismissed. I don't remember whether you can then select another piece of evidence in such a case or if there are more than just one that gives the best result, I'm not gonna try. I guess I'll mostly use the game as an excuse to drive around the city.

TheHumanIsland
  • TheHumanIsland

See The Eye

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by TheHumanIsland, 3 weeks ago.

Indeed it is so detailed and not faked with any filler stuff. You can find a cafeteria eatery that really exists and my Fiance's dad used to take her there, and went there with his dad since he was a little boy, and it looks a LITTLE different now, but it looks exactly how it looked back then up through the 70s in the game! I took him all over LA and he could actually tell me where to turn and say "that should be right around the corner" on any given thing and there it was - blew his mind, and blew mine, too. We even went to the train station where her stepmom rides to work every day, went down in it, went to the exact terminal she uses, it was a real trip, seeing how much is 1:1 in that game.

• Jabalous, RogerWho and Midnight Hitman like this

RogerWho
  • RogerWho

Let watch_dogs lie

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 3 weeks ago

That's awesome. I didn't know it's a 1:1 recreation.

I kinda see why some critics say it's boring, since there isn't that much to do beyond driving, but it's just so gorgeous. I'd really love it if there were other games made in this same city.

I don't get why devs spend so much time making all these great environments and then don't reuse them.

TheHumanIsland
  • TheHumanIsland

See The Eye

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by TheHumanIsland, 3 weeks ago.

Check it out in game, it's located on the 6th/7th street block of South Broadway =)

uwqWdZE.jpg

If you look on streetview, the colors have changed, the facade has been updated some, but it still looks about the same, but around it has newer buildings, but old pics are accurate to LA noire: https://www.google.c...2528165!6m1!1e1

You know how they do those "mapping out gta maps" before they come out? That would probably be a cool ass topic for this subforum to do mapping out LA noire to compare it to the real LA, both old and new times.

Jabalous
  • Jabalous

Villager

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

The sad thing is that they must have spent a lot of time and effort constructing and modeling this 1:1 representation of 1941 Los Angeles and yet it completely went to waste when you look at how much of it was used for missions. I say that it was either supposed to be a tourism simulator in addition to being an action/adventure game, or was simply a result of engineering for the sake of engineering.

RogerWho
  • RogerWho

Let watch_dogs lie

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 2 weeks ago

Just finished... Nice game, nice game. Can't criticize it right now. I wonder if I'll start ripping it apart in a few days or this rare 'positiveness' thing stays with me for some time :dontgetit:

• TheHumanIsland likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users