Photo

Air/Ground War III

2,206 replies to this topic
Bates_GTA
  • Bates_GTA

Twitter - @ChristianBates_

• Members

Posted 25 July 2009 - 02:32 PM

So chris, what will be trying out today? Is it just going to be the normal A/G war or A/S.

Can't wait smile.gif

ChristopherD
  • ChristopherD

D1RTY4L1FE

• D1RTY12
  • United-States

Posted 25 July 2009 - 02:56 PM

QUOTE (Bates_GTA @ Jul 25 2009, 10:32)
So chris, what will be trying out today? Is it just going to be the normal A/G war or A/S.

Can't wait smile.gif

I still want to do at least one round of the normal mode....but then would liek to try out the A/S battle! Maybe use the C&Cs like Booze suggested. icon14.gif

But its up to everyone that shows...

GTAking33
  • GTAking33

GTA Veteran

• Angels of Death MC
  • United-States

Posted 25 July 2009 - 04:04 PM

i don't really like the idea of using CnC. i'd rather just do this in a TDM.

SuperJude™
  • SuperJude™

Lifelong fan of the number "42"

• D1RTY12
  • None

Posted 25 July 2009 - 07:46 PM

A vs G was pretty sweet. The pilots won on $$ in Algonquin BUT...they died three or 4 times before they had any money. More deaths = fail.

Bohan was interesting, totally random spot and it seemed to have a lot of coverage, despite *certain people* refusing to crouch.

A vs Boats was lame from the air side. We'd need to practice more with correlating tailgunners and pilots. Also, if it was more chase oriented, it would add a cool element beyond the boats circling in a little area, then stopping altogether while the pilots try to get in close for their gunners.

deejay and myself did last pretty long on our first go around but holy CRAP did we take damage wayyyy too fast! It was like 3 circles, fire, health, repeat biggrin.gif

Eh, either way it turned into a clusterf*ck at the end but hey I'm willing to try anything and whatever, it was amusing for what it was. I felt like a victim every time I approached you guys in those boats!

Good times.

YoungJoe94
  • YoungJoe94

Lt. Red Panda

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 July 2009 - 08:11 PM

Hey Booze,

It's okay if tomorrow I record the match, right? Also, who is getting into the game between me and sellars confused.gif

GTAking33
  • GTAking33

GTA Veteran

• Angels of Death MC
  • United-States

Posted 25 July 2009 - 08:51 PM

i really liked the air sea war. but if you're the driver for boat or air it's boring compared to being a gunner. and if you're ever the pilot of the mavrick KEEP IT STEADY or noone will be able to aim. i think the spot in south alderney was great at least for boats but is a long travel for pilots. but i had fun on bolth sides.
http://snapmap.wikig...le=&set=143,394

and my idea for the spot in Bohan was genius. i want to try it tomorrow with more pilots and see how we hold up.

http://snapmap.wikig...le=&set=475,131

suggest 360 people try these spots out next. so how was today for 360?

ChristopherD
  • ChristopherD

D1RTY4L1FE

• D1RTY12
  • United-States

Posted 25 July 2009 - 08:57 PM Edited by ChristopherD, 25 July 2009 - 09:27 PM.

QUOTE (GTAking33 @ Jul 25 2009, 16:51)
i really liked the air sea war. but if you're the driver for boat or air it's boring compared to being a gunner. and if you're ever the pilot of the mavrick KEEP IT STEADY or noone will be able to aim. i think the spot in south alderney was great at least for boats but is a long travel for pilots. but i had fun on bolth sides.
http://snapmap.wikig...le=&set=143,394

and my idea for the spot in Bohan was genius. i want to try it tomorrow with more pilots and see how we hold up.

http://snapmap.wikig...le=&set=475,131

suggest 360 people try these spots out next. so how was  today for 360?

I dont think they played today....

**reserved for comment on match today later**

Sorry...had an MM cover emergency...lol (Thanks, Doc! icon14.gif )

Well, tbh, this is the most fun I have had on GTA for awhile! Granted, I drank a few b4 the match, but still!

The new spot King found in Bohan is (possibly) sweet! Gotta play it w/more than two Pilots, but could be good!

Kudos to johnwontscore and liam (or was it lellep...all those Pilots look the same to me...lol) for stickin in there! icon14.gif

@johnws: Dude, your accuracy is rediculous. Most Pilots I play with never let go of the fire button...Your fire is so controled its scary.

@lellep: Damn, man...that shot you got on me when I was in the car trying to get back to the crane was also rediculous! icon14.gif

About the Air/Sea Battle: Well, it definately needs work...but with that said...FUN, FUN, FUN!!!

I LOVE driving the boats! Would like some verification from thev shooters from my boat, but I think I did a damn good job lining them up for shots!

It definately needs more Helis than boats in that, for a change, the Boats have the advantage over the Helis (seeing that annhialators arent aloud). I did boats in both rounds we tried, but have tailgunned once or twice and its WAY harder to get a shot out of a Heli than a boat. The boats are actually pretty stable.

I have been playing Battlefield 1943 all week, so was ready for some good GTA...and you guys definately came through.

Very fun sh*t and I look forward to tomorrow's match! icon14.gif

@Skyjumper: Hit me up about BF43! I want to put a team together! icon14.gif

@C-J-C: Dude, stev150 is cool...he didn't realize what we were playing when he got the invite.

@DJ: lmfao! You couldn't park a boat like that again if you tried a hundred times! lol.gif biggrin.gif lol.gif

Booze
  • Booze

Backlashing with a bullet full of love

• Angels of Death MC
  • Netherlands

Posted 25 July 2009 - 10:30 PM

So you guys didn't use checkpoints?
Yeah I had my suspicions about the amount of firepower coming from the boats would be too much for poor little old Maverick... Well, since you guys tried out that way of Air/Sea, I think it would be good if the Xbox branch tried another way. I'm still thinking about the tugboat myself. Still not too sure about using C'nC. Actually, it might be better if we just use TDM, location Alderney, blips far and come up for a route that the tug has to take. Would you PS3 guys say it would be better to use standard weapons, to avoid having to make a lot of trips to healthpacks?

QUOTE (YoungJoe94 @ Jul 25 2009, 22:11)
Hey Booze,

It's okay if tomorrow I record the match, right? Also, who is getting into the game between me and sellars confused.gif

I'm not sure about who exactly is gonna show up, but as of now I have 29 people who signed up, so I'm hoping that at least 10 will actually show.

And yes, please record happy.gif

ChristopherD
  • ChristopherD

D1RTY4L1FE

• D1RTY12
  • United-States

Posted 25 July 2009 - 10:46 PM

Actually, standard weapons might help...but its really about the fact that once everyone gets to where they need to be (i.e. get boat/Heli...pick up shooters, etc.) its already been 6 or 7 minutes. Then, if someone dies and respawns, getting back to the action is a pain.

And armining up b4 getting in your respective vehicle is paramount! I ran out of ammo like 5 or 6 times in two rounds.

And we only had like 8 ppl playing...so it was 1 to 2 Helis vs. 1 to 2 boats.

A full room, with 10 ppl in the air (whatever configuration) and 6 on the ground, with enough time to arm up, would be insanely fun, I think.

I also agree with SJ about maybe combining the "Chase Round" with the "Air/Sea Battle" might be the way to go.

The way today's experiment worked is that I (as a boat driver) worked the canal where the Tug spawns. My thinking was to make it as hard as possible on the Helis with tight spaces (as ussual).

So I think if it was based on the idea that the boats have to "Get Somewhere", it might make it more interesting. Especailly for the ppl in the air.

Whatever we come up with, it was very fun! And THAT is what we are looking for! smile.gif icon14.gif

Guns N R0se
  • Guns N R0se

King of the Mountain

• Members

Posted 25 July 2009 - 11:59 PM

Sorry I couldn't make the 360 one Booze. I'll try to next time. Also, my new goal in life is to learn how to fly and be a pilot in A/G War tounge.gif ($10 says I'll give up by tomorrow evening)

Booze
  • Booze

• Angels of Death MC
  • Netherlands

Posted 26 July 2009 - 12:15 AM

The 360 one is Sunday/tomorrow, you didn't miss anything tounge.gif I hope you can make it!

I've updated the 360 post with a participants list, so you guys have more insight about who signed up icon14.gif

SuperJude™
  • SuperJude™

Lifelong fan of the number "42"

• D1RTY12
  • None

Posted 26 July 2009 - 01:04 AM Edited by SuperJude™, 26 July 2009 - 01:13 AM.

Yeah don't get me wrong, I hate getting killed like that in any game but on the other hand, it was totally adventurous. Maybe 2 or 3 choppers, full, would be better. Glad we could provide you guys target practice biggrin.gif

The "teabagging" incident was just SHAMEFULL! Chris is a married man for chrissakes.

6 of us hanging off that edge as the chopper approached was truly living dangerously. The thought of them coming in seeing 6 people, right next to eachother, all lined up in a row hanging out, literally, would have been major lulz.

GTAking, great random spot man!

yveracob
  • yveracob

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 July 2009 - 02:22 AM

sigh me up man

MC.
  • MC.

LS Menace

• Members

Posted 26 July 2009 - 03:28 AM

Yo that was a sick game guys. In air, it was awesome and in sea, it was awesome. Loved it.

bigmike72
  • bigmike72

your mom was awesome

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 July 2009 - 03:59 AM

the air sea wars was crap maybe if it was more like a chase instead of sitting in one spot it would be more fun icon13.gif

Booze
  • Booze

• Angels of Death MC
  • Netherlands

Posted 26 July 2009 - 08:29 AM

QUOTE (yveracob @ Jul 26 2009, 04:22)
sigh me up man

yveracob added. Welcome!

liam-aka-spidie
  • liam-aka-spidie

TeC , Knows How To Party, In The City Of LC.

• Members

Posted 26 July 2009 - 11:55 AM

I wont be able to play tonight, familly shizzle lol. good luck guys smile.gif

Booze
  • Booze

• Angels of Death MC
  • Netherlands

Posted 26 July 2009 - 12:51 PM

Alright, so I think I materialized the Xbox Air/Sea round. I really want to make it some sort of chase, so the action isn't in the same spot all of the time. So the Marines will have to bring the tugboat from one point on the map to another, using the following route:

(Snapmap)

Going from the tug spawn in the Industrial area to the Restaurant/yacht spawn in North-West Alderney. It took me 17 minutes to clear this route. I'm thinking of using a regular TDM with the time limit set to 30 minutes and have a 5 minute arm-up period. So the Marines will have 25 minutes to clear the route. The Air Force will have to prevent this. In the end, we won't be looking at kills, but rather if the Marines made it to the safe haven or not.

Instead of Mavericks, we will be using Annihilators, but the pilots can't use the guns. I prefer Annihilators because they can take more damage.
NO GRENADE BOMBING! Grenades are the tug's weak point, one well placed grenade can blow it up! I guess the Marines can use grenades against the helis, but we'll have to see if that gives them an unfair advantage.

Whoever's killed will have to make his/her way back to the action. Marines should be able to find speed boats spawning all around Alderney, Air Troops will have to communicate with one of the pilots to pick them up as soon as they're geared up again.

This all really is pretty hit and miss, we'll just have to try it out to see what works and what doesn't. I hope to see a lot of you there!

YoungJoe94
  • YoungJoe94

Lt. Red Panda

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 July 2009 - 02:11 PM

People underestimate the speed of a tug...once it goes full bam, it's so fast and heavy it's hard to stop...especially when going round corners...

What time should we be online for Booze? Since it's first-come-first-served...just wondering.

Pr0xy_fl00d3r
  • Pr0xy_fl00d3r

The Droogs, Finally real rapists on the scene.

• Members

Posted 26 July 2009 - 02:19 PM

Sounds awesome Booze, I think we should have a regular game of A/G war after it aswell.

ChristopherD
  • ChristopherD

D1RTY4L1FE

• D1RTY12
  • United-States

Posted 26 July 2009 - 03:21 PM

Hey PSN Folks...

Unless I can figure out how to load up my AllPiltsMustDie account on another PS3, I will not be able to host the match today.

Its a family problem I can't get out of. One of those things where I have to be there, but not to actually do anything. I will have access to a PS3, but not the APMD Friend List.

So, if I can't get my APMD account loaded up on that PS3, I will be sending a friend request to a bunch of you from NinjaCookBilly (my Brother In-Law).

I still wanna play this, damnit! I am hoping at least a cpl of you will read this before the match and will expect the request.

Sorry about this. Is unavoidable.

Booze
  • Booze

• Angels of Death MC
  • Netherlands

Posted 26 July 2009 - 03:37 PM

QUOTE (YoungJoe94 @ Jul 26 2009, 16:11)
People underestimate the speed of a tug...once it goes full bam, it's so fast and heavy it's hard to stop...especially when going round corners...

Well I did a test run with it and the main reason I'm using a tug is so that people can get back in the action easily. As unbelievably fast it might be, it's still slower than the speed boats spawning around Alderney. Also, the driver has to stop driving (actually press Y to let go of the steering wheel) to let people back on, that takes time. And I also imagine most of the Air Force going for the driver anyway, to slow things down.

QUOTE (YoungJoe94 @ Jul 26 2009, 16:11)
What time should we be online for Booze? Since it's first-come-first-served...just wondering.

Well, as it looks now, you should be fine if you show up at the time of the match (8 pm UK time). It's first online, first served, but we haven't had a full room as of yet. Still, if you want to make sure, just come online an hour before it starts.

Kinko Kabuki Koshi KaPOW~!
  • Kinko Kabuki Koshi KaPOW~!

Just let you know that, you're not alone

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 July 2009 - 03:40 PM

I'm guessing theres only 1 round tonight, seeing as you're in G&G?

Booze
  • Booze

• Angels of Death MC
  • Netherlands

Posted 26 July 2009 - 03:45 PM

We should be fine playing two rounds, seeing as G'nG starts two hours after A/G starts. Maybe even three rounds...

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 July 2009 - 04:02 PM

So, if A/G war starts at 8 BST, it'll be two hours until 9 english time? Some crazy times there.

Booze
  • Booze

• Angels of Death MC
  • Netherlands

Posted 26 July 2009 - 04:06 PM

Still confused? G'nG is 9 pm GMT, not BST.

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 July 2009 - 04:12 PM

You know what beep's like. When he says GMT, he means English Time.

Pr0xy_fl00d3r
  • Pr0xy_fl00d3r

The Droogs, Finally real rapists on the scene.

• Members

Posted 26 July 2009 - 04:24 PM

WTF is this BST all about? what happened to GMT? Im English time, so is it 8PM when we start?

johnwontscore
  • johnwontscore

I crashed it

• Members

Posted 26 July 2009 - 04:52 PM Edited by johnwontscore, 26 July 2009 - 04:57 PM.

Chris: thanks for the vote of confidence in my shooting, but I was doing pretty badly in those games yesterday. Maybe I hit some people, but I certainly didn’t kill many, 3 kills in total I think. I recently changed from a 20 inch old tube to a 40 inch HD Sony so there has been an improvement in my accuracy, but accuracy depends on how nervous you are, how many people are firing at you, how much of a rush you are in, how much wine you drank at lunch…

Yesterday, I found the first game in Algonquin to have too many pilots. I spent time waiting from above for a slot to open, when it did I’d drop into it, but I still suffered a number of collisions with other helis. I think either pilots have to take turns attacking the crane or we practise flying in that space as a group, but 4 uncoordinated helis flying round the crane just didn’t work yesterday for me. I remember driving my heli backwards into a building to avoid another pilot who wanted to fly past the crane whilst at the same time I was trying to shoot Jude. The crane is hard enough without having to avoid collisions at the same time. Pilots don’t like mics for some reason though. This is the deaf and dumb airforce you are dealing with. I wish people would buy decent mics. The Sony is the best I think since it has a menu dedicated to it. Buy Sony mics please pilots.

The game in Bohan was about driving to get a new heli, then landing to get armour. I think I only made three attacks in Bohan and each one of then was a rush job because it was only me and Lellep flying. I actually crashed when trying to pick up armour which caused a further delay – I was laughing at how stupid I was all the way back to the airport. I think if a similar situation arises where we have an excessive number of GTs in relation to pilots, it might be an idea to put a GT on the airforce side just to fly a Maverick to pick people up and get them to the helis faster. The new spot in Bohan is great though, nice and hard to attack, but it’s got a backdoor that could get interesting at some point.

Looks like the air sea war should be included in the chase. Happiness island to start, since there are so many fast boats spawning there. The balancing is difficult though. I see two ways of doing it. The first is one GT per boat, Annihilators allowed to use guns and grenades, and GTs with a reasonable destination - maybe that island with the boatyard on it south of Bohan. We start with maybe 8 boats and eight GTs. If it gets to just 2 GTs remaining, annihilators have to switch from guns to grenades. Safe zone would be the dock at the boatyard of course. The other way would be to have multiple GTs in each boat. Annihilators would be restricted to assaults and grenades. However, I think the chase should be made to work before we start putting sea battles into it or it could just get so boring that nobody shows up for it.

About the chase, as I said before, I think we should have pilots dedicated to a particular GT or pair of GTs. So, for example, if at the start of the game we have four pilots and 5 GTs in the room, the first pilot is paired with the first 2 GTs, who have to share the same car and travel together. 6 GTs and four pilots would mean pilots 1 and 2 having 2 GTs to attack while 3 and 4 would have 1 GT to attack. If we follow the order as it appears in the lobby, we can avoid any debate and time wasting about who is paired with who. The game would be more competitive for GTs, as they would be racing between safe houses trying to beat each other. Pilots would be able to verify if their GTs had visited all the safe houses and GTs would be able to complain to pilots if they broke any rules, like repeatedly killing them.

I’ve kind of worked out a way to intelligently bring a helicopter into the Bagdad gas station thing, but just one helicopter. This is how I see it: we’ve got 4 or 5 guys guarding the gas station. They’ve got a helicopter parked on the roof to supply themselves with RPGs. The suicide cars are visible on the map and there is a helicopter flying above. Several burnt-out cars have been placed strategically around the gas station, but the helicopter has warned the bombers about these. The attack begins. All the bombers get killed before they get to the pumps. One was sniped, another blew up too soon, the other two got RPGed. The attack has failed, so the helicopter moves from zero to one star, which means now he is allowed to dive down and blade away any cars obstructing the entrance to the gas station. Another attack happens. Again, all the bombers die, So the helicopter goes to two stars; now he can blade away obstructions, but also he can also shoot at any car being moved into a blocking position.

There would be more and more stars with each failing attack. If the attack succeeds, the star level would remain unchanged. There would only be one complicated role, that of the helicopter, so GTs and bombers would have a fairly uncomplicated life and would not need too much education about rules. The helicopter would hopefully act as a governor to adjust the game balance to the right level. Respawn would be set to 30 seconds so bombers, etc. could watch the action even after dying. The whole point of the game would be the comedy of the desperate gas station attendants and the nice big explosions that would surely happen. Hope you guys like it.

Booze
  • Booze

• Angels of Death MC
  • Netherlands

Posted 26 July 2009 - 05:07 PM

QUOTE (Pr0xy_fl00d3r @ Jul 26 2009, 18:24)
WTF is this BST all about? what happened to GMT? Im English time, so is it 8PM when we start?

BST = British Summer Time. It's basically GMT + 1 (because of daylight saving time). So 7 pm GMT = 8 pm BST. So yes, if you live in the UK, it will be 8 pm when we start.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users