Photo

Tommy Vercetti

17 replies to this topic
Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 18 July 2009 - 09:18 AM

We all love Vice City, on that I'm sure we're all in complete agreement. It's an amazing, atmospheric experience.
But what I'm asking you now is how you feel about the character or Tommy Vercetti.
Do you feel that he is an effective main character? Is he quite a deep protagonist? Or is he shallow yet amusing? How do you think he compares to the other leading men in the franchise?

major underscore
  • major underscore

The GTAF Moralist

• Members

Posted 18 July 2009 - 10:50 AM

I think that Tommy Vercetti was a link between the mute Claude from GTA III (who didn't react emotionally to anything happening to him) and what came after Vice City, protagonists with more personality and a sense of if not morals, at least some kind of mental process going on whereby actions have to be justified, even if those justifications are weak in most cases.

Tommy was a bad ass protagonist, shallow, yes, and that's something I liked about him as the protagonist in a GTA game. He is more of a cartoonish character than both Claude and the protagonists in the later games in the series.

sgt.slaughter
  • sgt.slaughter

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 July 2009 - 08:10 PM

I find him quite annoying.He's a dick to everyone except Colonel Cortez.

Sanjeem
  • Sanjeem

• Members

Posted 18 July 2009 - 09:31 PM

QUOTE (sgt.slaughter @ Jul 18 2009, 20:10)

Lol true...I liked colonel cortez though so, I'm glad.

Boris_Chavez
  • Boris_Chavez

Is this a private fight or can anyone join in?

• Members

Posted 18 July 2009 - 09:49 PM

On the one hand, that's a pretty fair reaction to most of the main plot characters.

On the other, Tommy's pretty relaxed with, for instance, Love Fist and the biker gang, and I find something quite sympathetic about how he gets on with the old guy from the print works (memory of Tommy's father, or whatever).

Overall, Tommy's pitched just right. A game lead character is always going to be a bit of a blank canvas, and he's got a good balance between that, and enough background to make his motivation credible and engaging. And top voice acting.

WelcomeToLibertyCity
  • WelcomeToLibertyCity

City of Angels

• Members

Posted 19 July 2009 - 01:51 AM

Tommy to date is my favorite protagonist in all of the GTAs. His personality fit his role is VC perfectly. I love how calm he is in certain situations. The comebacks and smartass remarks he makes still keep me laughing everytime I play the game.

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Get Love Fisted

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 19 July 2009 - 02:35 AM

Tommy isn't a good protagonist, he's a great protagonist IMO. He might not be as deep as CJ, Niko, or Vic, but what I like about Tommy is his only goal is to bring Vice City's criminal underworld down to its knees. He doesn't care about love, or personal relationships.

His eagerness to take over Vice City is what I admire about him. In the entire time playing Vice City it never felt like Tommy was pressured into making an empire. He just wanted to.

Playstation_Loyalist
  • Playstation_Loyalist

Life's short. Get over it, moron.™

• Members

Posted 19 July 2009 - 03:04 AM

Is this true? A FAST REPLY?! OMFG!

@OP: Tommy is the best protagonist in the GTA series in my humble opinion. He had the charisma, isn't scared of anything, and only has one goal that would satisfy him: REVENGE. Somewhat similar to Claude in III, but Tommy had more characteristics.

Tommy FTW.

Flesh-n-Bone
  • Flesh-n-Bone

OG

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 19 July 2009 - 12:32 PM

"Go shower with the guys!"

That and "I did your wife you poor bastard." are some of my favorite quotes in the entire GTA franchise.

He is a good character and I kind of like emotion-less characters because I feel similarities between them and me. Although he is not my favorite main character of all he is a pretty good one and fits VC pretty well.

sgt.slaughter
  • sgt.slaughter

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 July 2009 - 10:51 PM

QUOTE (Sanjeem @ Jul 18 2009, 14:31)

Lol true...I liked colonel cortez though so, I'm glad.

Colonel Cortez is my favorite character because he's always quite relaxed and never gets mad.

Orıön
  • Orıön

Nebula

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 July 2009 - 05:56 PM

Yeah, Tommy V is great\has great personality, and of course because of Ray Liotta devil.gif !

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • England
  • Best Avatar 2012
    Winner of Euro 2012 Prediction League

Posted 22 July 2009 - 03:07 PM

To me he is without a doubt the greatest GTA protagonist to date. I just loved everything about his character and his characters story. I wouldnt say VC and Tommy have a very deep story compared to IV but the guy kills for money and not for a reason unlike Niko or CJ etc. Plus the character has great humor, the one liners he sometimes used were great. Plus he was set in Vice City which just makes everything that much better.

MyDog
  • MyDog

Niko Bellic's my burazer

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 03 August 2009 - 08:41 AM

The best character in the GTA series, undoubtedly. The only thing I don't like about Tommy is a fact that he beats up Kent Paul almost in every cutscene they meet and that makes him a racist. Also, maybe that's why he and Lance never communicated like friends.

Long Haired Freaky Guy
  • Long Haired Freaky Guy

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 10 August 2009 - 10:53 AM

QUOTE (Flesh-n-Bone @ Jul 19 2009, 12:32)
"Go shower with the guys!"

That and "I did your wife you poor bastard." are some of my favorite quotes in the entire GTA franchise.

I have to agree that Tommy gave us some of the best lines in the whole series.

I think his smart-ass comments and attitude were perfect, and the only problem I have with him is the way that he runs....it just looks weird.

Killer.Khan
  • Killer.Khan

no.

• Members

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:22 PM

First off. Tommy Vercetti didn't have any morals. He killed whoever he wanted, didn't respect anybody which ended up landing him in hot water most of the time. However, he was a character that was full of life and wasn't a dumb mute. He took orders from nobody and finished each job correctly and effectively. He reminds me more of a Boss Hitman than anything. (A hitman who is in charge of other hitmen)

XXI Inc
  • XXI Inc

Playa

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 August 2009 - 01:33 PM

That's why I started liking Ray Liotta. I heard his voice in Vice City and then I watched a movie on TV and I heard Tommy's voice and I recognized Ray.

GTA 3 and Vice City were games that impressed me. So many memories sigh.gif ...

The Hero
  • The Hero

/* no comment */

• Feroci
  • Germany

Posted 12 August 2009 - 06:56 PM

Tommy is by far the best gta protagonist...I just hate Carl and Vic...don't know Nico yet.

Trexmaster
  • Trexmaster

Violators will be shot and survivors will be shot again

• Members

Posted 13 August 2009 - 03:56 PM

The very best to date.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users