How did you discover...

100 replies to this topic
Nem Wan
  • Nem Wan

The Artist Formerly Known As Magic_Al

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 July 2009 - 03:41 PM

I was browsing Best Buy a few years ago, looking for something to play on my Xbox, and I saw San Andreas at its $20 "platinum hits" price, and remembered the TV commercial and the controversy, and I thought, for $20 what the hell, I'll see what this is. I had never even seen GTA gameplay before. Oh my god, I had no idea what I was getting into. So, thanks, Hillary! biggrin.gif

Conal123
  • Conal123

The Irish Brigade

• Members

Posted 29 July 2009 - 04:29 PM

I fist played gta when my vice city came out i got it for my birthday and ever since its been in my blood.

aragond
  • aragond

We are the Aragond. We will bury you.

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 July 2009 - 05:51 PM

This is an awesome read!

It FEELS like it was a LOT longer ago, like the early 90s, but I guess it must have been in 2000 that my younger brother acquired a copy of GTA2. Maaan, I still cannot believe gfx have come so far in less than a decade, but at the time, this little guy running around like a freak, having to balance the three gang's attitude toward you, and the bl00dy police were a major pain in the a$$, from whom it was almost impossible to escape. The rampages, the sheer glee of flinging molotovs off the balcony walkways and watching traffic chaos, or firing rockets into pursuing police. And Gouranga! lol.gif Classic sh!t!!! I thought, who comes up with this??
However, though I loved it, I sucked a little at it. (To this day, I still haven't beaten it.) Which means I was still a Civ-head, and a fan of Baldur's gate and a few other games.

So, couple o years later, brother and I are walking through Myers in Melbourne and there's this game there, Grand Theft Auto III. He instantly wants to buy it. I'm a little retiscent. I still haven't beaten 2, and now this one's 3d and I'll suck at it ... wah wah wah. But we buy it, and he's barely played it, and I've bought everything R* have made ever since (for PC or PS2, that is).

Still cannot believe it's been less than ten years. Feels like I've been playing one GTA or another for a couple o decades. How the shiznit did I EVER occupy myself before 2000? lol.gif

Sidebar: The GTA2 radio stations didn't work (*cough* blush.gif ), so when III came out, I thought the radio idea was the shiznit!

QUOTE (adamcs @ Jul 19 2009, 01:10)
My dad brought home a demo of GTA1 (PC) shortly after it was released, and then I got the full game a few weeks later.  I was 8 at the time! cry.gif   Thanks Dad. tounge.gif

Still got the original box, though it's not in the greatest condition:

user posted image

VERY cool!!!!

Kyle17
  • Kyle17

The hero Vice City needs, but not the one it wants.

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 July 2009 - 07:14 PM

My first GTA was III, I remember because I was only 9 & it was 2001. My neighbor had just got it & wanted to show me, it was the first time I had ever seen a game where you could do anything! It was amazing, & the graphics were beautiful (at the time). We would play that game every day; we would take turns by giving ourselves a system of "lives". We each got two Busted or one Wasted. One year later Vice City came out & blew our minds. The concept of bikes & helicopters was amazing. After that, I new I'd be a life long fan.

Cubanzync
  • Cubanzync

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 31 July 2009 - 02:43 PM

The first time I played GTA was when I was visiting my cousin across state. I couldn't of been no older than 9, cause he had just got vice city. But I seen him on a diving board, shooting people with a sniper-rifle, then BOOM. Addicted to GTA. I later bought the game myself, and then SA, al the way up to the lost and damned. blush.gif

Katalix
  • Katalix

Awesome.

• Members

Posted 31 July 2009 - 02:54 PM

Believe it or not, when I was little, about 7 or 8 when Vice City came out, (I'm 13 now.) I watched my grandpa play it wow.gif He lent me a disc and that's how I got started, played every single GTA since

Omnia sunt Communia
  • Omnia sunt Communia

Tierra Y Libertad

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 July 2009 - 02:59 PM

It's quite interesting to see how many people started playing Grand Theft Auto with III/VC/SA. I guess us people who've been playing GTA since 1997 are in the minority. tounge.gif

FelipeVinhao
  • FelipeVinhao

Under construction, sorry for the inconvenience

• Members

Posted 31 July 2009 - 03:01 PM

The game looked very underground, very different from GTA4...

The GTA Guy
  • The GTA Guy

The Frisker

• Members

Posted 31 July 2009 - 10:01 PM

QUOTE (Jacky Fiend @ Jul 31 2009, 14:59)
It's quite interesting to see how many people started playing Grand Theft Auto with III/VC/SA. I guess us people who've been playing GTA since 1997 are in the minority. tounge.gif

I noticed that too, I played first GTA in 1997 though, it was so awesome, still love that game inlove.gif

mjw911
  • mjw911

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 02 August 2009 - 06:00 AM

haha i remember playing gta for the first time..aaaah, thats when the addiction began inlove.gif

Restelo94
  • Restelo94

Hustler

• Members

Posted 02 August 2009 - 02:56 PM

First GTA I saw was Vice City while on the shelves, I was like 6 or 7 at the time. I was interested because the case looked awesome, but I never bought with the fear of the "18" on it ( I used to think that aged ratings were based on difficulty and not on content biggrin.gif )
I thought the game would be too hard so I bought 3+ and 7+ games.

I saw someone playing San Andreas at a friends house once, I was amazed at how fun the game was but I never thought much of it later on.

The addiction began later with the purchase of GTA:LCS with my PSP, (by then I understood the epicness of the gta series).

However, I was mostly addicted with IV (and still am lol)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users