Photo

How did you discover...

100 replies to this topic
mjw911
  • mjw911

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 21 July 2009 - 05:55 PM

QUOTE (CryptReaperDorian @ Jul 20 2009, 04:33)
QUOTE (mjw911 @ Jul 19 2009, 22:15)
QUOTE (CryptReaperDorian @ Jul 19 2009, 05:53)
First time I played GTA was GTA VC.  I was 9 or 10 (2002 or 2003) and I went to my neighbor's house to play some PS2.  My neighbor was then playing GTA VC which looked absolutely stunning to me.  He letted me play (even though I sucked since I barely ever played PS2 before that, all I knew was  X    to drive,  circle    to attack, and D-Pad/Left Analog Stick to move, didn't know  R1    was to aim), and I had such a blast.  I remember tipping over a car and not knowing what was going on.  After seeing the car start on fire and blow up on me from not exiting or not getting away on time I got that great feeling from seeing that.  Another classic was going to the mall in Vice Point and doing the RPG rampage (RamPaGe) only to blow myself up.

how did you get the O and X and R1 buttons to show up?? thats awesome!

When you are replying or quoting (I'm not sure if it's on the "Fast Reply" function), there is a button that says "PS2 Cheat". Click that and click a symbol.

I'm off!
triangle triangle square circle X L1 L1 down up

thats awesome!! X circle triangle square start select right up left down L1 L2 R1 R2

biggrin.gif

The GTA Guy
  • The GTA Guy

The Frisker

• Members

Posted 21 July 2009 - 06:05 PM

In 1997 or '98, can't remember correctly, I went to my cousin's, and they were playing something with their PS1. I asked "what game is this, looks cool?" He answered: "This is GTA". I started playind and played the whole night GTA biggrin.gif Year after I bought my own copy of it for my PS1.

Pr0xy_fl00d3r
  • Pr0xy_fl00d3r

The Droogs, Finally real rapists on the scene.

• Members

Posted 21 July 2009 - 08:50 PM

1998, my Dad bought GTA 1 for the PS1, haven't looked back since.

vinnygorgeous
  • vinnygorgeous

"Crash JP Morgan buy silver"

• Members

Posted 21 July 2009 - 10:16 PM

I remember the hype when it first came out, the right-wing press wanted to ban it, that's why I bought it basically. Apparently its 98 but I don't remember those years are a bit blurry, it feels like longer ago than that.

Gr8gam3r
  • Gr8gam3r

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 July 2009 - 11:09 PM

I went to stay at my uncles for a bit, he used to pirate games (boo I know) and had a HUGE collection. I was 6 or 7 and picked up GTA, thought that it looked good and started it up. Despite my uncle telling me it was rubbish (which he was wrong) I absolutley enjoyed it. Must have done 3 missions and spent the rest of the time squashing peds. To those who think "OMFG his parents are awful" I'd like to point out that they said the only reason they let me play the game is because I was mature enough to understand that what is on the telly is a game and what happens in real life. I've also never killed, attacked or bullied anyone, and although I have an air rifle I've never shot at anything but targets. I've also had some fun experiences with the Driver and GTA series with my parents. Here was my dads solution to losing the police in Driver:
Dad:"If the cops are after you pull up"
*I stop the car*
*police car keeps shunting me*
Dad: "He'll give up soon"
*police car rams me and pushes me through a red light"
Radio: He just ran a red light
Mum: Oh come on, just ram him back.
Dad: That doesn't solve anything, it only makes the situation worse.
Mum: Fine. Don't ram him back.
Dad: Glad you agree.
Mum: FLOOR IT!
Dad: Oh honestly...
I took my Mums advice btw biggrin.gif
And on GTA:
Dad: "now normally, if you ram a car you should stop and exchange insurance details, not shoot him in the head."
Mum: Get in that car that plays the good music (GTA london). I don't care if you think the car is rubbish, I like that music. And lose the police, those sirens are annoying. Does the tank play the good music? No. You can't use that then.

As you can see I've had some quality moments with my parents on GTA, and also Fight Night (Hey, Uncle, you look like ButterBean lol)

zeppelincheetah
  • zeppelincheetah

Soldier

• Members

Posted 22 July 2009 - 04:25 AM Edited by zeppelincheetah, 22 July 2009 - 04:54 AM.

Second semester of freshman year of High School a friend showed me GTA 1 on his PC. I liked it instantly and asked for GTA 1 and 2 for xmas that year (1999). Me and that friend stopped being friends (he was a bit of a douche) so for a while the only source of GTA I had was on my crappy PC that barely ran GTA 1 and rarely ran GTA 2. When I heard there was going to be a GTA in 3d I was excited and greatly anticipated GTA III leading up to release. I bought GTA III on release day. Playing GTA in 3d was incredible for the first time and GTA instantly became my favorite series.

I was strictly a Nintendo fan before I got the PS2, which is why I didn't play the first two on the psx. I hated all things Playstation... and hoped that there would be a GTA 64 (it was in development but was cancelled sadly). Somehow the PS2 just sold me - a DVD player and next gen graphics and the promise of GTA III plus it looked cool and was backwards compatible with games I missed out on. I begged my parents to get me one for xmas 2000. I still have yet to get the PS3. I'm an adult now and it's still way too expensive (it's even more expensive now than the PS2 was when it launched). I did get a 360 for GTA IV + 2 DLC Eps. I have EVERY GTA ever made. I bought the collector's edition for the psx so I could finally play 1 and 2 without worrying about slowdown and so I could play London 1969 for the first time. I later got London 1969 for PC so I could play London 1961. I also got both Nintendo GTA games, Advance and Chinatown Wars. I also got the two PSP gta's, LCS and VCS. And of course I also got the 3 PS2 GTA's.

CryptReaperDorian
  • CryptReaperDorian

Boss

• Members

Posted 22 July 2009 - 05:25 AM

QUOTE (zeppelincheetah @ Jul 21 2009, 22:25)
Second semester of freshman year of High School a friend showed me GTA 1 on his PC. I liked it instantly and asked for GTA 1 and 2 for xmas that year (1999). Me and that friend stopped being friends (he was a bit of a douche) so for a while the only source of GTA I had was on my crappy PC that barely ran GTA 1 and rarely ran GTA 2. When I heard there was going to be a GTA in 3d I was excited and greatly anticipated GTA III leading up to release. I bought GTA III on release day. Playing GTA in 3d was incredible for the first time and GTA instantly became my favorite series.

I was strictly a Nintendo fan before I got the PS2, which is why I didn't play the first two on the psx. I hated all things Playstation... and hoped that there would be a GTA 64 (it was in development but was cancelled sadly). Somehow the PS2 just sold me - a DVD player and next gen graphics and the promise of GTA III plus it looked cool and was backwards compatible with games I missed out on. I begged my parents to get me one for xmas 2000. I still have yet to get the PS3. I'm an adult now and it's still way too expensive (it's even more expensive now than the PS2 was when it launched). I did get a 360 for GTA IV + 2 DLC Eps. I have EVERY GTA ever made. I bought the collector's edition for the psx so I could finally play 1 and 2 without worrying about slowdown and so I could play London 1969 for the first time. I later got London 1969 for PC so I could play London 1961. I also got both Nintendo GTA games, Advance and Chinatown Wars. I also got the two PSP gta's, LCS and VCS. And of course I also got the 3 PS2 GTA's.

I'm still looking for GTA Advance, but that game is almost impossible to find without buying it off the internet. I also have the Collector's Edition (bought used for $12-$14 range) that has GTA(1), GTA L'69, and GTA2. Has anyone else noticed that GTA2, in the game and manual, has NEVER been called Grand Theft Auto 2 but just GTA2?

WelcomeToLibertyCity
  • WelcomeToLibertyCity

City of Angels

• Members

Posted 22 July 2009 - 02:09 PM

October 2007 was when I discovered GTA. My uncle got a Wii so he gave me his Xbox original with GTA III, VC, and SA. I played them all and I believe I was addicted within 5 minutes of owning them biggrin.gif Then in July 2008 I bought a 360 and GTA IV, so my first memories of that console are GTA IV memories.

kuro-neko
  • kuro-neko

\(^_^)/

• Members

Posted 22 July 2009 - 03:07 PM

I had heard a lot about GTA III and GTA Vice City, so just before Christmas 2002 I got my Dad to buy me GTA Vice City. When I got home my older brother went crazy, I would later understand why; the game was the best thing I had ever played. biggrin.gif

Redketman
  • Redketman

Hustler

• Members

Posted 22 July 2009 - 04:18 PM

I discovered GTA in the summer of 2002. My dad bought me and my siblings a Playstation 2 with 17 games for like $600 (used but in very good shape) and Grand Theft Auto III was one of the games included. I played all the games and GTA III was by far the best game of them.

chipmunkman85
  • chipmunkman85

wat

• Members

Posted 23 July 2009 - 12:58 AM

I remember played the first GTA when I was like 3 or 4. Somewhere around that, because my uncle brought it over to show me.
Then I got GTA for the PS2, because my dad surprised me on my birthday. It was Vice city

Also, I'm back. IDK if anyone remembers me, but some might.

mjw911
  • mjw911

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 23 July 2009 - 02:53 AM

QUOTE (Redketman @ Jul 22 2009, 16:18)
I discovered GTA in the summer of 2002. My dad bought me and my siblings a Playstation 2 with 17 games for like $600 (used but in very good shape) and Grand Theft Auto III was one of the games included. I played all the games and GTA III was by far the best game of them.

you are so f**king spoiled

sgt.slaughter
  • sgt.slaughter

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 23 July 2009 - 03:53 AM

Yeah,damn you,you wretched rich-kid die.gif .

rota
  • rota

Trick

• Members

Posted 23 July 2009 - 04:29 AM

I cant remember how old I was but I was pritty young, I was at my cousins house and he was playing it on his computer, I asked for a go and got hooked then on my next birthday I went to the local Gamesman and got it and I have played every one yet biggrin.gif .

SanAndreasManiac
  • SanAndreasManiac

Now I am become death, destroyer of the worlds

• Members

Posted 23 July 2009 - 06:55 AM

QUOTE (Gr8gam3r @ Jul 21 2009, 23:09)
I went to stay at my uncles for a bit, he used to pirate games (boo I know) and had a HUGE collection. I was 6 or 7 and picked up GTA, thought that it looked good and started it up. Despite my uncle telling me it was rubbish (which he was wrong) I absolutley enjoyed it. Must have done 3 missions and spent the rest of the time squashing peds. To those who think "OMFG his parents are awful" I'd like to point out that they said the only reason they let me play the game is because I was mature enough to understand that what is on the telly is a game and what happens in real life. I've also never killed, attacked or bullied anyone, and although I have an air rifle I've never shot at anything but targets. I've also had some fun experiences with the Driver and GTA series with my parents. Here was my dads solution to losing the police in Driver:
*I stop the car*
And on GTA:
Dad: "now normally, if you ram a car you should stop and exchange insurance details, not shoot him in the head."
Mum: Get in that car that plays the good music (GTA london). I don't care if you think the car is rubbish, I like that music. And lose the police, those sirens are annoying. Does the tank play the good music? No. You can't use that then.

As you can see I've had some quality moments with my parents on GTA, and also Fight Night (Hey, Uncle, you look like ButterBean lol)

the only advices I get from my parents are:
"Turn off this crap that takes you nowhere!"
lol

JCMillerTime
  • JCMillerTime

san andreas vigilante mission record holder

• Members

Posted 23 July 2009 - 11:06 AM

I remember the moment I first saw gta3. I was going into gamestop to buy the latest copy of madden football and the employees were gathered around a tv where someone was playing. The guy was hanging around the corner of the island with the car dealership and 8ball and the train tunnel. I remember thinking "well what's the objective, what's he doing, why's he there?" so I stayed and watched. I soon realized that he wasn't doing anything in particular. What a novel concept! A game where you just screw around in the world without having to do anything. That combined with the 3d makes gta3 the most revolutionary game, I believe. Name one other game where you can spend hours doing nothing, just screwing around.

I was addicted from the moment I saw it.

JianHua
  • JianHua

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 23 July 2009 - 04:04 PM

i was crazy about Midtown Madness 2 that time, crazy about open sandbox style of gameplay, until a friend introduced me GTA 3 back in 2001, with even wider sandbox style gameplay i went addicted to more GTA series. Then Vice City, San Andreas, LCS, VCS, now IV

MiguelNEZ
  • MiguelNEZ

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 24 July 2009 - 08:50 AM

I played gta 1 thanks to my older brother and father

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:12 AM

My friend showed me a pc version of GTA 1 in 1997/98. Later was GTA2, VC, SA, III( yes in that order). I bought ps2 to play in GTA, I bought a ps3 to play in GTA and if I have to I will buy a xbox to play in DLC's.

08LasVenturas
  • 08LasVenturas

Homie

• Members

Posted 24 July 2009 - 08:14 PM

I first heard of it in 4th grade. That year was 2003-04 school year, and we all said our fave video games, and almost everyone said "Vice City".. i had no clue where it was.

In 5th grade, when SA came out, I specifically remember the commercials for it, with the "Welcome to the Jungle Theme". The first game I played was Liberty City Stories for the PSP that I got as a gift. However, I didnt play it until a few months after i got it and i loved it, so next Christmas I asked for Vice City Stories, and last year I got GTA4 and now I'm hooked XD.

ScratchCard
  • ScratchCard

Arc.

• Members

Posted 24 July 2009 - 08:16 PM

I guess that was like.. oh god I can't remember.

Like 5 years ago, maybe 6. Was pretty young by then, way to young to play GTA biggrin.gif Still am though.

the young hooligan
  • the young hooligan

Big Evil

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 26 July 2009 - 12:45 AM

First GTA I played was Vice City when I was about four years old. I'd been playing Playstation since I was like one but I only played driving games. I remember we went to my Dads friends house and his friend asked me if I wanted to play GTA. I knew What GTA was but I was never allowed to own it at that age.
Anyway he showed me the controls and I was instantly hooked.
Waited 5 more years before I was actually allowed to own a GTA game.

FelipeVinhao
  • FelipeVinhao

Under construction, sorry for the inconvenience

• Members

Posted 26 July 2009 - 01:33 AM

GTA1 400-second demo. 'Nuf said.

QUOTE (adamcs @ Jul 18 2009, 13:10)
Still got the original box, though it's not in the greatest condition:

user posted image

Magoodness!!! mercie_blink.gif

QUOTE (SanAndreasManiac @ Jul 23 2009, 04:55)
QUOTE (Gr8gam3r @ Jul 21 2009, 23:09)
*I stop the car*
And on GTA:

the only advices I get from my parents are:
"Turn off this crap that takes you nowhere!"
lol

My mother likes GTA1. Seeing her doing a "Gouranga!" driving a Bug (VW Beetle) was epic. biggrin.gif

jamaican_jacob
  • jamaican_jacob

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 July 2009 - 05:32 AM

I first played it at my elementary school in the computer lab (had a pretty cool and younger teacher tounge.gif), then about 5 years later i bought a ps2, maybe a year later purchased vice city after enjoying the mischeif at my cousins. At the time I didn't even know that the two gta's were related lol

sammya
  • sammya

Snitch

• Members

Posted 27 July 2009 - 05:49 AM

My cousin had GTA 1 on the PSOne, played it for a bit and instantly fell in love. I also got to play just a little bit on GTA2 but only like 5 minutes (they liked it 2 much to let me play and more).

I then played GTA3 on my friends PS2 when they were both just released and couldn't believe how much has changed... literally everything changed apart from the name.

nlitement
  • nlitement

Pare mou mia pipa

• Members

Posted 27 July 2009 - 10:17 AM

My brother bought this weird game for my PSX. Dude jacked a car and shot people.

GTA!

Raptomex
  • Raptomex

Listen to Slayer

• Members

Posted 27 July 2009 - 05:55 PM

The first GTA I ever played was Vice City. I heard about it when it came out. And I saw an interview with a mother who got her son the game and to see if she knows what the game is really about. My uncle eventually got VC and I would play it when I visited. When I got my PS2 I got VC and played it non-stop all summer long.

DRMetzger
  • DRMetzger

The doctor is in.......sane

• Members

Posted 27 July 2009 - 06:24 PM

Got the first one when it came out on PC, later got the London 69 expansion + GTA2.
GTA3 + Vice City on PS2, later on X-Box, later still on PC when I had one that could play the games.
SA on PS2, then PC
GTA4 on 360 then PC
Pretty much got them all within a month of release, havent played the stories games or Chinatown Wars.

Rascar13
  • Rascar13

GTA V lover

• Members

Posted 29 July 2009 - 01:26 PM

I discovered GTA for the very first time when the first game came out for PC back in the '90's smile.gif

Kratos2000
  • Kratos2000

;)

• Members

Posted 29 July 2009 - 02:43 PM

i have first played gta sa, because one of my friends played it, gave me a disc (he has downloaded it and put on a disc) i have installed and played, after a time, for my GTA IV, i had to delete SA, for more FPS in IV.
now i have own GTA SA and playing it, no more crap edited downloaded versions of SA

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users