• This topic is locked This topic is locked
108 replies to this topic
TonyClifton
  • TonyClifton

PR Spokesman for Tony Prince

• Members

Posted 19 July 2009 - 02:20 AM

QUOTE (Stefan. @ Jul 19 2009, 01:53)
TonyClifton and Mahi: Being a Serb myself (assuming that Niko himself is Serbian), his accent isn't exactly that spot on. Considering Michael Hollick isn't a native speaker of Serbian, he does pretty well while pronouncing some words (as does Jason Zumwalt), however with some words, you can automatically tell (well I can, but I speak Serbian) that they're not native speakers, which can be forgiveable. For example, like in the mission "Roman's Sorrow", when you find Roman in the boot of his car, Niko says sorry in Serbian, and he says it as 'Izveni', when however, in the Serbian language, it should be pronounced 'Izvini' or 'Izvinite'. They're not huge differences, but for you, it probably made no difference, but for me I automatically picked it up as simply an error in pronounciation.

As for the topic at hand, as far as I'm concerned, isn't Johnny Klebitz American? His last name sounds German, and Germany is the largest location of ancestry for White Christian Americans, so he's definitely American I assume.

I agree his accent is not spot on, which is what I was saying. And I also agree that Michael Hollick did a pretty good job.

It is interesting to get your input, because you can judge far better than an English person, like me. Thank you. smile.gif

zmoonchild
  • zmoonchild

Dumb Tag

• Members

Posted 19 July 2009 - 10:53 AM

QUOTE (GTA_ULTIMATE_FREAK @ Jul 17 2009, 22:51)
why all the main character of GTA looks more like an  Non-American then an American…
…Carl "CJ" Johnson is an African

Wow, talk about naïve… I usually don’t respond to comments like this, but based on this kind of idiotic logic, that means the following people aren’t Americans:
President Obama
Colin Powell
Condoleezza Rice
Eddie Murphy
Richard Prior
Dave Chappelle
Chris Rock
Samuel L Jackson (from San Andreas)
Ice-T (from San Andreas)
Katt Williams (from GTA IV)
and roughly 10% of the entire United States population (I’m not sure of the exact percentage)

This person is probably so stupid that they think that only black people live in Africa, and that no other race lives in Africa, or comes from from Africa, at all. tounge2.gif

QUOTE (GTA_ULTIMATE_FREAK @ Jul 17 2009, 22:51)
I mean why can't some one like an expelled Marine be rolled as the GTA's Main Protagonist

Well, out of the list that I provided, Colin Powell was a general in the U.S. Army… it’s not the marines, but I guess that wouldn’t qualify him as being an American for you, would it?

QUOTE (Piperka @ Jul 18 2009, 01:12)
Claude is Asian-ish

Tommy Vercetti is Italian (duhh)

CJ is African

Tony Cipriani is Italian

the VCS dude is African

Niko is Serbian

So..none of them are actually proper American

I think that Piperka is a member of the Aryan Nation, or he’s just very stupid, because that is a very stupid comment, and very racist… what the hell is a proper American? rolleyes.gif

Sanjeem
  • Sanjeem

• Members

Posted 19 July 2009 - 11:07 AM

There are lots of americans, infact their all american apart from two.

Cj is american (African-american) but he os only from an african backround his familly were raised and born in america.

Tommy is and american with an italian backround...he was born in america

as was toni cimpriani. an american born italian...you see their all americans, just with a little but of backround. Most americans these days have backrounds aswell...but their still american, it would be quite boring to be full american.

Niko Bellic was the only Non-american character and he had a easten european accent unlike the others...so yeah most of them are american really

MrGtaman
  • MrGtaman

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 19 July 2009 - 12:37 PM

I guess OP is a racist icon13.gif icon13.gif icon13.gif

Everyone in America is in some degree an immigrant. Except for the Native Americans, of course. Judging people just because they were born in some country is quite stupid. The melting pot, guys, I love it. Roman's mind seems more of American than Easter-European to me, that's why I can consider him American.

Omnia sunt Communia
  • Omnia sunt Communia

Tierra Y Libertad

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 July 2009 - 12:39 PM

QUOTE (zmoonchild @ Jul 19 2009, 11:53)
I think that Piperka is a member of the Aryan Nation, or he’s just very stupid, because that is a very stupid comment, and very racist… what the hell is a proper American? rolleyes.gif

These people over here.

Where do people get the idea that Claude is Asian from, anyway? mercie_blink.gif

QUOTE (Sanjeem @ Jul 19 2009, 12:07)
Niko Bellic was the only Non-american character and he had a easten european accent unlike the others...so yeah most of them are american really

Don't forget Huang Lee from Chinatown Wars. He was a full-blooded Chinese national (from Hong Kong).

MrGtaman
  • MrGtaman

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 19 July 2009 - 12:55 PM

QUOTE (Jacky Fiend @ Jul 19 2009, 12:39)

Where do people get the idea that Claude is Asian from, anyway? mercie_blink.gif

Probably because of his looks sarcasm.gif

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Tainted

• Antarctica

Posted 19 July 2009 - 01:00 PM

QUOTE (Jacky Fiend @ Jul 19 2009, 23:39)

That's what I've been wondering. mercie_blink.gif

user posted image

He doesn't look Asian at all IMO, but really he could be from anywhere since he was never actually given a background. He could be German, Swedish, Australian, British, French, Russian etc for all we know.

Omnia sunt Communia
  • Omnia sunt Communia

Tierra Y Libertad

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 July 2009 - 01:10 PM

He's got narrow eyes, I'll give them that, but his facial structure is defiantly of Caucasian origin. I think Rockstar never intended for him to be any nationality really, so it's just left ambigous, and we obviously go for American because the game is set in America (common sense really).

Stefan.
  • Stefan.

OG

• Members

Posted 19 July 2009 - 01:23 PM Edited by Stefan., 19 July 2009 - 01:29 PM.

QUOTE (zmoonchild @ Jul 19 2009, 20:53)

He's Russian, that's even worse. tounge.gif

His point is that none of them are White Christian Americans (except for Claude).

QUOTE (MrGtaman)
Judging people just because they were born in some country is quite stupid.

We're not judging them, we're just discussing where they're from.

In my opinion, I think deciding someone's nationality shouldn't be decided on where they were born, because a person who's born in one country may not have any link with that country whatsoever. I mean, Presidential runner-up John McCain was born in Panama; no one can say that he is Panamian or something, he is American, because he has American citizenship. You usually get citizenship of one country if you either live there for an extended period, or because of another reason such as having rights to land there, etc. Take me for example; I consider myself a Serbian-Australian; I was born here to Serbian refugees, and I have both Australian and Serbian citizenship (Serbian because I inherit property over there and am entitled to have citizenship for that country through my parents), and I'm proud of both my nationalities, as we all should be. icon14.gif

Sanjeem
  • Sanjeem

• Members

Posted 19 July 2009 - 02:26 PM

QUOTE (Jacky Fiend @ Jul 19 2009, 12:39)

These people over here.

QUOTE (Sanjeem @ Jul 19 2009, 12:07)

Don't forget Huang Lee from Chinatown Wars. He was a full-blooded Chinese national (from Hong Kong).

Oh yeah i forgot about Young Haung...it's because i haven't played the DS Game yet, Thats why i'm looking forward to the PSP version, weather it's the same or improved happy.gif

But i don't know why people think claude is asian... wow.gif

If anything i would of thought he was an American with a French Origin...se where i'm coming from claude
I'm not saying cluade is just a french name but i've met quite a few french people and alot of them i know are called claude, including my Old french teacher.

TonyClifton
  • TonyClifton

PR Spokesman for Tony Prince

• Members

Posted 19 July 2009 - 05:04 PM

Claude always looks to me as if he is straight out of the East End (of London). Alright my son? cool.gif

PS: I have a Great Uncle Claude, and he is not French.

zmoonchild
  • zmoonchild

Dumb Tag

• Members

Posted 19 July 2009 - 06:02 PM

QUOTE (Jacky Fiend @ Jul 19 2009, 08:39)

These people over here.

Very true, and I highly respect all Native American People, but I don't think that's what Piperka meant in his original "proper American" comment... he and the person who started this topic seem to have personal problems with people of different races and/or nationalities.

rampage!
  • rampage!

I'm magically delicious

• Members

Posted 19 July 2009 - 06:33 PM

An immigrant is about as a "proper American" an American can get, other than Native American, of course. I never understood xenophobia here in the US since most of us have ancestory from other countries. I'm the offspring of an immigrant.

TonyClifton: I always thought Claude looked British, too!

General Goose
  • General Goose

Because Jeb Bush is all in my house with disease.

• Members

Posted 19 July 2009 - 07:42 PM

Hell, even the Native Americans came over from Russia. We're all Africans originally.

93Sean93
  • 93Sean93

Peon

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 July 2009 - 03:20 AM

lol, yeah. I've always just looked at Claude as being American with French origin because of his name..

CryptReaperDorian
  • CryptReaperDorian

Boss

• Members

Posted 20 July 2009 - 04:23 AM

QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Jul 19 2009, 07:00)
QUOTE (Jacky Fiend @ Jul 19 2009, 23:39)

That's what I've been wondering. mercie_blink.gif

user posted image

He doesn't look Asian at all IMO, but really he could be from anywhere since he was never actually given a background. He could be German, Swedish, Australian, British, French, Russian etc for all we know.

Facially, Claude in GTA SA looks different to the GTA III Claude. You can't rule out the possibility he's Asian, but we really don't have any info. regarding his race other than speculation.

Actually, all GTA protagonists (apart from the GTAL ones) are American as they live in America (assuming that the immigrants are legal immigrants). The only protagonists that we know weren't born in the U.S. are Niko Bellic, Luis Fernando Lopez, and Huang Lee.

General Goose
  • General Goose

Because Jeb Bush is all in my house with disease.

• Members

Posted 20 July 2009 - 06:26 AM

Vic and Toni both have a significant possibility they weren't, but I think they've been residents for a looooong term at least.

tom_p1980
  • tom_p1980

Legendary

• Members

Posted 20 July 2009 - 03:45 PM

So OP, does that answer your question? biggrin.gif

KGBeast
  • KGBeast

Thug

• Members

Posted 20 July 2009 - 04:39 PM

Vic was born in America. His dad came up from DR, his mom didn't go down to it. Toni I'm not sure on, but if he was born anywhere outside of America, it was Sicily.

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

1 627 826 3789

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 20 July 2009 - 05:59 PM

QUOTE (TonyClifton @ Jul 19 2009, 17:04)
Claude always looks to me as if he is straight out of the East End (of London). Alright my son? cool.gif

PS: I have a Great Uncle Claude, and he is not French.

Claude in GTA2 is British, he was played by Scott Maslan, better known now as Jack Branning in Eastenders.

RJX74
  • RJX74

United We Stand; Together, We Fall

• Members

Posted 20 July 2009 - 06:07 PM Edited by RJX74, 20 July 2009 - 06:14 PM.

Just to clarify things a bit, there is proof that CJ is American. In one mission, when Sweet is freed from prison and then they see the baseheads in moms house, CJ wants to leave but Sweet tells him: "You were born in that house, n****

Also, Claude Is anything nut Italian because in Cipriani's Chauffeur ...he's no Italian, but he can get things fixed

And Tommy is Cuban. Remember the phone call at the end from Umberto? To me and Papi, You Cuban biggrin.gif biggrin.gif (Just A Joke)

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 20 July 2009 - 06:13 PM

QUOTE (Ash_735 @ Jul 20 2009, 10:59)
QUOTE (TonyClifton @ Jul 19 2009, 17:04)
Claude always looks to me as if he is straight out of the East End (of London).  Alright my son?    cool.gif

PS:  I have a Great Uncle Claude, and he is not French.

Claude in GTA2 is British, he was played by Scott Maslan, better known now as Jack Branning in Eastenders.

So a guy wearing a House M.D. avatar is saying that because the actor is British, that the character as well is British. That's just interesting to me.

I like the idea that Charming Charlie has, they should make a Native American GTA.

Funktipus
  • Funktipus

Playa

• Members

Posted 20 July 2009 - 09:51 PM

QUOTE (witsalldonebefor @ Jul 18 2009, 06:39)
If your born in America then your American, you skin color doesn't matter.

Thank you!

numdmind
  • numdmind

numdmind

• Members

Posted 21 July 2009 - 09:36 AM

QUOTE (GTA_ULTIMATE_FREAK @ Jul 17 2009, 21:56)
Nope they aren't American dude, why they portray like Cubans or African then

Dude, lay off the crack.

Tommy is American. He's Italian-American, but he's American. Where the hell do you get Cuban from?

CJ - He's not African, he was born in America, therefore an American.

Claude or Fido - That guy's obviously American

Toni - American

Vic - American

Johnny - American

IF you're going to go with what you constitute an "American", then no one is an American....Anywhere. Not you, or me, or anyone else on this forum that resides in America. Unless they come from Native American heritage. Even then, they started out as a fungus on Pangaea. So technically speaking, according to your definition of "American", we're all Pangaean.

el superhippo
  • el superhippo

Thug

• Members

Posted 21 July 2009 - 09:52 AM

QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Jul 18 2009, 03:14)
Tommy isn't Cuban. He comes from a Italian background, but as far as we know he was born in America.

Same deal with CJ. Whilst he's from a African background he was still born in America.

The only character who isn't truly American is Niko, as he wasn't born in America.

lol I think he wants a "white" character like Uncle Sam

zeppelincheetah
  • zeppelincheetah

Soldier

• Members

Posted 22 July 2009 - 05:46 AM

TC fails at being an American. How can he not know that the United States is a nation of immigrants. Everybody except the Native Americans originate elsewhere.

SanAndreasManiac
  • SanAndreasManiac

Now I am become death, destroyer of the worlds

• Members

Posted 22 July 2009 - 06:33 AM

tommy vercetti no way is cuban, except for friendships

maybe claude is french and doesn't know how to talk in english biggrin.gif

I aways thought that comentary "he's not italian, but can he can get things fixed" was about toni, not claude

th3drow
  • th3drow

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 July 2009 - 01:36 PM

QUOTE (zeppelincheetah @ Jul 22 2009, 05:46)
TC fails at being an American.  How can he not know that the United States is a nation of immigrants.  Everybody except the Native Americans originate elsewhere.

Ya i feel like the tc wants some stereotypical redneck dude as a main character. I feel like the next post is going to be "o an by the way all the characters are speaking English, when are you going to start speaking American?"

JianHua
  • JianHua

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 22 July 2009 - 04:43 PM

QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Jul 18 2009, 02:54)
Tommy, and CJ are American. confused.gif

Vercetti has Italian background, and how can u be so sure that Vercetti's born in USA?

RJX74
  • RJX74

United We Stand; Together, We Fall

• Members

Posted 22 July 2009 - 05:10 PM

QUOTE (SanAndreasManiac @ Jul 22 2009, 06:33)
I aways thought that comentary "he's not italian, but can he can get things fixed" was about toni, not claude

He couldn't be Capo then, (unless really rarely is there one) plus Ma says he shames his Sicilian roots. biggrin.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users