» «
Photo

Paris

87 replies to this topic
Minatoku
  • Minatoku

Snitch

• Members

Posted 16 July 2009 - 02:28 PM Edited by Minatoku, 24 October 2009 - 12:38 AM.

PARIS

Capital of France and one of largest city in Europe, famous for its monument, museums, beauty, romance, the reality of life in this city is very different than the stereotype.
Anyway some thing are true, Paris has very beautifull building.

Paris city proper : 2.1 million inhabitants
Dense urban core : 6.7 million inhabitants
Urban area : 10.1 million inhabitants
Metropolitan area : 12 million inhabitants.

With a GDP of US$731.3 billion, Paris is an engine of the global economy
The activity sector of the city is very diverse and there isn o real dominant sector.
Unlike its reputation of tourist dependsant city only 1.5% of the economy come from tourism related thing (include restaurants, café, taxi...)
Paris is one of 4th main global cities with New York, London and Tokyo.

In France, ethnic stats are forbidden, so it is impossible to give precise data. (The majority of minorities are born in France and have the french nationality)
Over 20% of the population are foreign born
Paris is a city of immigration since many many centuries, the majority of the population is not born here (in Provincial France, overseas France, and in foreign countries) and the majority are descendant of immigrants.
A single sentence about Paris diversity : There is everything.

What is interresting is not only the city proper but the dense core.

user posted image
The dense core is divised in 4 departement.

75 - Paris : the inner city where are located most of the monuments, many offices buildings, main shopping areas.
The inner city host very affluant population.
Anyway the northeast part has a more working class population.
It is delimited by the famous Peripherique belway, the busiest freeway in Europe.

92 - Haut de Seine : Western inner suburbs where I located many business district (More expecially la Defense, Paris skyscrapers district) and big parks. It host a very wealthy and middle class population.
The northern edge is very working class.
Versailles while not inside this departement is at southwestern edge, so it could be included.

93 - Seine Saint Denis : Northern inner suburbs where I located many of the worst places in western Europe, many industrial area, a few business districts and the big CDG airport.
The population is mostly working class and ethnic.

94 - Val de Marne : Hard to definie it, it is a mix between the middle class Haut de Seine and the working class Seine Saint Denis.

RomanViking
  • RomanViking

Labyrinth

• Members

Posted 16 July 2009 - 02:53 PM

Please post some pictures smile.gif

Minatoku
  • Minatoku

Snitch

• Members

Posted 16 July 2009 - 04:25 PM

Ok if you want, my problem is that I have so many picture that i couldn't choose. biggrin.gif

La Defense, is the largest skyscrapers district in Europe. (92)
user posted image

Rue de Rivoli, in les Halles district (75)
user posted image

Rue de la Republique in Saint Denis (93)
user posted image

Some council estate in Aubervillier (93)
user posted image

Metro on the surface near a big mall Creteil Soleil, Creteil (94)
user posted image

Peripherique beltway (75)
user posted image

Omnia sunt Communia
  • Omnia sunt Communia

Tierra Y Libertad

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 July 2009 - 04:47 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing a Grand Theft Auto game based on Paris. There is a lot more to the city that it's beautiful, tourism-based facade (much like London). I've heard about a famous French criminal who is having a film made about his soon (I forget his name) though his story could act as the basis for Rockstar's story if they ever decide to create their own game based on Paris.

The only problem would be, of course, the language. If they could over come that then I'd be sold!

Minatoku
  • Minatoku

Snitch

• Members

Posted 16 July 2009 - 07:01 PM

Honestly we could do a english speaking Paris (OK some people will say that London is the english speaking Paris or the oposite biggrin.gif ).
The language is not that important.

General Goose
  • General Goose

Because Jeb Bush is all in my house with disease.

• Members

Posted 16 July 2009 - 09:04 PM

QUOTE (Minatoku @ Jul 16 2009, 19:01)
(OK some people will say that London is the english speaking Paris or the oposite biggrin.gif )

Who the hell says that?

And it's crap anyway. Not true, been to both, nothing alike.

chelsea grin
  • chelsea grin

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 July 2009 - 09:07 PM

Could be cool, but, Paris isn't really infamous for anything, i mean, if someone said "violent crime within a city", Paris wouldnt be among the first that spring to mind, there are plenty of other cities around the world that R* could really milk for all its worth when it comes to crime.

BrownBear
  • BrownBear

Dr. Green Thumb.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 July 2009 - 12:06 AM

actuallyy no its not true paris has a very high crime rate many slums and ghettos i watched a programe about it once this guy had his camera stolen and was chased out of the hood because of the gangsters

Omnia sunt Communia
  • Omnia sunt Communia

Tierra Y Libertad

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 July 2009 - 12:54 AM

QUOTE (brownbear @ Jul 17 2009, 01:06)
actuallyy no its not true paris has a very high crime rate many slums and ghettos i watched a programe about it once this guy had his camera stolen and was chased out of the hood because of the gangsters

Then how did he get the footage to make the documentary? mercie_blink.gif

You're right though. Paris has quite a high crime rate. Not too mention the large number of immigrants and ethnic minorities (there is believed to be around 4,000,000 Muslims living in France) which make for a large plethora of languages, characters, stories and gangs. It would be interesting to be able to travel to Colonge and see all the immigrants trying to get to Britain! tounge.gif

tricore5
  • tricore5

The Russian

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 July 2009 - 02:42 AM

i would like the skyscraper part of paris, but are there any gangs? ph34r.gif

Minatoku
  • Minatoku

Snitch

• Members

Posted 17 July 2009 - 06:58 PM

Of course Paris does have gangs.

Jacky Fiend ? do you mean Calais instead of Colong. I don't think that it is good idea, Calais is a very boring town of 100,000 inhabitants and it far to Paris.

Minatoku
  • Minatoku

Snitch

• Members

Posted 24 October 2009 - 12:51 AM Edited by Minatoku, 24 October 2009 - 01:04 AM.

I did remember that I created this thread.

This is how are typical cop in Paris
user posted image

Paris is one of most policed city in the world, at least its center. Police is almost everywhere.
There are also many military men patroling in main stations due at terrorism risk.

It may be weird because Paris didn't have terrorist attack recently but in the mid 1980's islamist groups bombed many areas Champs Elysees, big departement stores, other main streets... several bombs found in the subway.
An attack every month sometimes less.
Also in 1995-1996 with three explosion in Paris RER system (express subway).

RomanViking
  • RomanViking

Labyrinth

• Members

Posted 24 October 2009 - 02:35 AM

I'm sorry about the terrorist attacks.

Minatoku, do you really live in Paris? That's really cool smile.gif

I'm guessing you took these photos yourself then. You should post some more if you can, I'd be really interested in seeing more smile.gif

I'm mostly interested in the street life and various neighborhoods there. Skyscraper districts are cool too, but I find busy pedestrian filled streets most impressive.

bobgtafan
  • bobgtafan

The last thing you never see

• Members

Posted 24 October 2009 - 05:19 AM

Paris seems OK but thier are hundreds of places I rather go first. Hell London, Moscow or Yugoslavia ( for Niko) are all better places I personally think in Eupore.

GTA_getaway_driver
  • GTA_getaway_driver

They see me Rollin'

• Members

Posted 24 October 2009 - 05:28 AM

At least we would all be driving on the right side of the road during gameplay....And be getting in the actal drivers side of the car, heheh.

Minatoku
  • Minatoku

Snitch

• Members

Posted 24 October 2009 - 07:54 AM Edited by Minatoku, 24 October 2009 - 08:04 AM.

QUOTE (RomanViking @ Oct 24 2009, 02:35)

Minatoku, do you really live in Paris? That's really cool smile.gif

Yes I really live in Paris, more expêcially in southern inner suburbs (Haut de Seine).
Living in the inner city is very expensive, the appartements are very small and you should wait over 10 years old to have an affordable housing.
My familly income is too big to have an affordable appartement and not enouth big to have a descent appartement in a decent district. confused.gif

I'm guessing you took these photos yourself then. You should post some more if you can, I'd be really interested in seeing more smile.gif

I'm mostly interested in the street life and various neighborhoods there. Skyscraper districts are cool too, but I find busy pedestrian filled streets most impressive.

OK

Rue de Rennes in Montparnasse district. (75)
The skyscraper at the end is the Montparnasse tower (210m) the tallest skyscraper of Paris area until few day ago.
user posted image

Grand Boulevards (75)
In Paris CDB, the Grand Boulevards are several of big boulevards between Opera district and Place de la Republique with an active night life
user posted image

A street of Colombe (92)
user posted image

A street in Neuilly sur Seine (92)
One of wealthiest place in Paris area.
user posted image

Metro in Saint Lazare (75)
Paris metro system is the second most used in Europe. (The busiest is Moscow)
user posted image

ScratchCard
  • ScratchCard

Arc.

• Members

Posted 24 October 2009 - 08:18 AM

Paris would be a great city for GTA.

The speaking could easily be fixed:

Subtitles Billboards Speaking people
English 50% French 50% English 40% French, 40% English, 20% other languages (foreigners, tourists and such)

RomanViking
  • RomanViking

Labyrinth

• Members

Posted 24 October 2009 - 09:20 AM

Holey Moley, the pictures are beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing them Minatoku smile.gif

And with ScratchCard sharing these statistics of 40% of Parisians knowing English, I'm not only behind gta being set there, but also have another destination of my real world travels (I only know English, and only have 500 US dollars saved up lol). If only more people in Tokyo knew English sad.gif

But it's selfish of me to expect people in other countries to know my language, I'm just saying that it's a huge plus.

Again, thank you for sharing so many pictures. Paris looks really nice.

ScratchCard
  • ScratchCard

Arc.

• Members

Posted 24 October 2009 - 10:05 AM

QUOTE (RomanViking @ Oct 24 2009, 11:20)
And with ScratchCard sharing these statistics

That weren't statistics, I was just trying to find a way to make a GTA in Paris friendly to English speakers colgate.gif I put them in a table because otherwise I end up with a long failing English sentence like this one.

General Goose
  • General Goose

• Members

Posted 24 October 2009 - 02:13 PM

Being Italian, I think an Italian city (or cities) would be the best non-English speaking locale (due to having more famous crime), but Paris would still be awesome. In terms of ped dialogue, I think they should mostly speak English but with the occasional French conversation or line.

tjawzy
  • tjawzy

Rat

• Members

Posted 24 October 2009 - 04:10 PM

Impossible. i spent 3 weeks in france a year ago and i didn't met as much as one who could speak either English, German or Spanish. There's nowhere else in the world where they are that bad at other languages.

For a european setting Amsterdam and London are the best options we have!

General Goose
  • General Goose

• Members

Posted 24 October 2009 - 04:13 PM

QUOTE (tjawzy @ Oct 24 2009, 16:10)
Impossible. i spent 3 weeks in france a year ago and i didn't met as much as one who could speak either English, German or Spanish. There's nowhere else in the world where they are that bad at other languages.

For a european setting Amsterdam and London are the best options we have!

I know its impossible. But if they did do a non-English speaking country, it'll be the best choice from a gameplay perspective.

Minatoku
  • Minatoku

Snitch

• Members

Posted 24 October 2009 - 05:47 PM

I have written a city based on Paris, not Paris as exactly the reality.
Liberty City in GTA4 is not New York, it is only based on New York.

Honestly many people visit and live in Paris without knowing french, the city is international.

Just to remember

user posted image
75 - Paris : Inner city
92 - Haut de Seine : Western inner suburbs
93 - Seine Saint Denis : Northestern inner suburbs
94 - Val de Marne : Southeastern inner city

A street in Saint Ouen (93)
user posted image

Belleville chinatown (75)
user posted image

National RN2 Aubervilliers Pantin (93)
user posted image

Street in Choisy le Roi (94)
user posted image

A little street in Bastille district (75)
user posted image

SirPsychoSexy
  • SirPsychoSexy

The Poet

• Members

Posted 24 October 2009 - 11:18 PM

I'm actually going to Paris next week. Beautiful city, great atmosphare.
I don't see the language problem (although I my french is probably better than most peoples, still not too good).
I think people could speak french though you meet quite a lot of english speaking characters, and you can translate the important bits (like in IV with the serbian and other languages).

bobgtafan
  • bobgtafan

The last thing you never see

• Members

Posted 25 October 2009 - 03:56 AM

How about for lanuage when they are making the game all the billboards are in English and the dialouge is in English for English speaking countries? Then when sell the game in non english speaking countries they have all the lauanges as the native laungage and the billboards are still in English? You know like normal? Like don't they translate GTA games for say Japan?

Minatoku
  • Minatoku

Snitch

• Members

Posted 25 October 2009 - 12:38 PM

Yes the billboard and the language are still in english for GTA anyway we have french subtitles for the important thing.
I don't know for other countries but I think that it is the same because we can change the language of the subtitles.

Minatoku
  • Minatoku

Snitch

• Members

Posted 25 October 2009 - 11:56 PM

A street of Arcueil and a RER station (94)
The RER is a mix between suburban train and subway
user posted image

Middle class residencial little houses and a council estate blocks in Thiais (94)
user posted image

Avenue in the northern part of the inner city with elevated subway (75)
user posted image

A4 motorway in Charenton next to the Seine river (94)
user posted image

The very wealthy rue Saint Honore (75)
user posted image

All of this is prefect to make a GTA city.
Dense area (wealthy and poor)
Ghetto made of council block and dense negliged area
Boring sprawling suburban area with big suburban mall
Etc...

MikeTyson
  • MikeTyson

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 November 2009 - 09:27 AM Edited by MikeTyson, 01 November 2009 - 09:29 AM.

http://images.google...start=0&ndsp=21

http://images.google...q=f&oq=&start=0

AnthMUFC-Champs
  • AnthMUFC-Champs

MUFC-CHAMPS

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 01 November 2009 - 09:38 AM

user posted image

supermortalhuman
  • supermortalhuman

522A4EA9