[TUT|IV] How to install new vehicles

11 replies to this topic
Fabio206
  • Fabio206

GTA-Expert.it Webmaster

• Members

Posted 10 July 2009 - 09:41 PM

Original Tutorial here on GTA-Expert.com smile.gif
It's forbidden to copy informations without permission via e-mail.
This tutorial is for beginners , with images and detailed information.

Introduction

Vehicles files are stored in vehicles.img located in ..\Grand Theft Auto IV\pc\models\cdimages.

user posted image

With this tutorial, you could import new vehicles in GTA 4.
In vehicles.img archive you will find:
  • 142 .wft files: 3D vehicles' models.
  • 142 .wtd files: vehicles' textures.

Open vehicles.img

Tools:
  • SparkIV, a viewer/editor for GTA IV.

If you haven't already done it, download SparkIV.
Extract files and put them where do you want, e.g. "SparkIV" folder on your Desktop. Then click on "SparkIV.exe".

user posted image

Click on "Browse" button and SparkIV will search your gta installation folder and will load all files.
Go in ..\pc\models\cdimages, as in the image.

user posted image

Double left-click on vehicles.img to load vehicles files.

user posted image

Do a backup

It's important create backups of your original files.

New files are in .wft and .wtd format. In our example, we suppose that new files will replace infernus.wft and infernus.wtd.
So scroll down until you find these names, select them (with left click) and click on "Export" button to backup them.

user posted image

Choose a folder and save them.

Import the new vehicle

Finally, we could import our new vehicle. In our example, we'll import new infernus.wft and infernus.wtd files.

IMPORTANT: If there isn't a .wtd don't worry.

If there isn't a .wft, your download mod is only a texture mod for that vehicle.

user posted image

As we said before, go in \pc\models\cdimages. Now you have to import new files: click on "Import" button.

user posted image

Once you have imported them, you must click on "Rebuild" button

user posted image

Now you have installed your new vehicle. If there are information on handling.dat (or carcols.dat or similar files) follow next steps.

Insert other informations

If in the readme there are information on handling.dat, vehicles.ide, carcols.dat or others, you must follow next steps. All these files are located in ..\Grand Theft Auto IV\common\data.

IMPORTANT:
Backup your original (or already modified) files, as we said in the GTA 4 modding introduction.

To modify these files, you could use Notepad already installed on your PC.

Handling.dat

Handling.dat contains informations about vehicles. File is located \Grand Theft Auto IV\common\data folder. Be sure that file isn't "read only" (in properties).

In this example, we suppose that in the readme there is also these informations:

CODE
INFERNUS 1700.0 0.25 85 0.0 -0.08 -0.18 0.16 6 0.320 1.0 290.0 0.27 0.570 0.37 30.0 1.50 1.26 15.0 0.12 0.4864 2.6 1.8 2.0 0.10 -0.10 0.0 0.5 1.0 0.6 0.8 1.5 0.0 100000 440010 1 1

So, open handling.dat and find "Infernus". You could use also Ctrl + F function.

user posted image

Type "Infernus" to find rows.

user posted image

Once you have found it:

user posted image

replace with the new one. It's a simple copy-and-paste:

user posted image

Save and close file.

Vehicles.ide
Vehicles.ide contains other informations about vehicles. File is located \Grand Theft Auto IV\common\data folder. Be sure that file isn't "read only" (in properties).
It's the same process. Suppose that new lines are:

infernus, infernus, car, INFERNUS, INFERNUS, VEH@LOW, VEH@LOW_INFERNUS, 1, 999, 0.2500, 0.2500, 0, 5, 1.0 ,0, sports

Now you have to open vehicles.ide, find "Infernus" and replace original one:

user posted image

with the new one:

user posted image

Save and close.

Conclusion
If you have followed the tutorial, you have installed your new vehicle with success. You could use a Car Spawner to verify your new vechile.

vntrx
  • vntrx

=A=

• Members

Posted 06 August 2009 - 07:47 PM

I have changed the handling in handling.dat but it won't change ingame also tried changing with handling editors but doesn't work either!, anyone know what i'm doing wrong ?

Fabio206
  • Fabio206

GTA-Expert.it Webmaster

• Members

Posted 07 August 2009 - 10:16 AM

QUOTE (vntrx @ Aug 6 2009, 20:47)
I have changed the handling in handling.dat but it won't change ingame also tried changing with handling editors but doesn't work either!, anyone know what i'm doing wrong ?

Have you removed the only read check in properties? smile.gif

mike831505
  • mike831505

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 August 2009 - 06:21 AM

When I try to click on vehicles.img it tells me that access to this path is denied. Any idea what I should do?

Fabio206
  • Fabio206

GTA-Expert.it Webmaster

• Members

Posted 11 August 2009 - 10:16 AM

QUOTE (mike831505 @ Aug 10 2009, 07:21)
When I try to click on vehicles.img it tells me that access to this path is denied. Any idea what I should do?

Have you got Vista? Try to run Spark as Administrator

Or check if GTA IV folder has "only read" prop.

xilix
  • xilix

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 October 2009 - 08:11 AM

I'm having an issue. I'm getting 98% taxis after I throw in a few new cars. It seems if I replace any more than 3-4 vehicles, I get the taxi issue. I've searched all over the net and I can't find anything but this useless thread at thegtaplace: http://www.thegtapla...iiiiig-problem/ suicidal.gif

Anyone have any advice?

ronnie3
  • ronnie3

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 January 2010 - 05:12 AM

I could use some assistance as well. I use notebook to open handling.dat and begin to edit the data for a vehicle but when i go to save, it wont let me and says that "access is denied". I already made sure that it was not in read-only. Can anyone please help me.

JianHua
  • JianHua

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 10 February 2010 - 01:41 PM

Can I replace vehicles in 1.0.0.0 version?

JianHua
  • JianHua

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 10 February 2010 - 01:53 PM

Replaced a vehicles using the tutorials here and now my game cannot start!!!

xraylizard
  • xraylizard

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:22 PM

i did all this...now i have no cars at all?

jpm1
  • jpm1

Vice city citizen

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:38 AM

that tutorial is great but it's 3 years old . use automatic installers instead , like GTA vehicle mod installer . there are safe and make cars installing a beeze . concerning the taxi bug it does that systematically after each important modification inside the game , just play a bit and everything should go back to normal progressively

xraylizard : maybe be several things . you may have traffic density on a very low value , can be a messy popcycle or cargrp too

lach97
  • lach97

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:47 AM

QUOTE (ronnie3 @ Friday, Jan 22 2010, 05:12)
I could use some assistance as well. I use notebook to open handling.dat and begin to edit the data for a vehicle but when i go to save, it wont let me and says that "access is denied". I already made sure that it was not in read-only. Can anyone please help me.

i get the same thing ! or i have to save it somewhere else but it still doesnt work.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users