» «
Photo

Why won't Rockstar Embrace Modding

83 replies to this topic
supermortalhuman
  • supermortalhuman

522A4EA9

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 July 2009 - 07:34 PM Edited by supermortalhuman, 07 July 2009 - 07:10 PM.

Topic is sposed' to be email, not PM, but did PM as well recently, but posted too**

First: This has nothing to do with MP cheating. MP Cheating has NOTHING to do with modding. So if you have an anti-modding opinion, it is not helpful, because all that means is that you wrongly assume modding means cheating. It's ok, not everyone understands, and I side with you: Cheats are wrong. I'm with you "anti" guys on that smile.gif

I like to mod GTA. I like to make things for it because NOTHING else out there allows me to do this. NOTHING else out there, free or not, has the same kind of artist-friendly atmosphere to the pipeline.

In fact, open source game engine developers are doing it wrong. They make tools to help make THEIR mapping easier when they should not even be mapping at all, they should be coding and the tools they make should help artists, not force them to beg coders for help.

There is NO worthwhile engine available to artists. The ONLY one that exists is GTA. The rest of them either use technologies I am uncomfortable with (like BSP map editors) and/or undermine the tools I use and have an education to use. GTA is different. It is a big blank canvas, and I want to mod it, you should let me, and you should help us. You should. There is no reason why you should not allow us to mod your game unless it is a third party exclusivity arrangement - in which case, disclose it to us.

I want to mod it. You are here now, Rockstar, you are on these forums, you even watch the modding section. I have mailed you on your site over and over and I have PM'd you here. I have yet to receive ANY explanation as to why you do not support us in modding your game, not even a response.

Hot coffee is not the reason. It helped you. And you made that, not us.

Is it because of all of the third party things you use to make your games? What does that have to do with making my own models? What does that have to do with promoting your game every time I promote what I make with my hobby?

This is not just for rockstar - this is open discussion for all - can anyone give ANY logical reason at all why they have not opened support for modding? They supported Max Payne (maybe because it was already what it was). Are you going to let us mod Max Payne 3, or did you change THAT aspect of what makes max payne what it is too?

And I have faith in max payne.. I am excited to see what you do with it. But I want to mod GTA. I want you to recognize your most dedicated PC gamers. I want you to release some tools. You HAVE them, share them.

Don't want to open up IV? FINE, GIVE us real, non-buggy GTA SA tools. You won't give it to us? Then TELL ME WHY.

I deserve AT LEAST that much. I deserve to know WHY you won't let us mod.

Was Jack Thompson and hot coffee your OWN anti modding ploy? Am I out of line to ask you that? No. You have not explained things, we are left to guess. Please tell us, all of us who undoubtedly will support this topic (as long as, you know, it doesn't disappear) who want to know: WHY won't you support modding GTA and if you don't want to support modding IV, WHY won't you at least release the old SA tools that you don't even and will never even use again? Why?

I have mailed many of your mails, contacted you here directly, this is the next proper option: Make it public, give you an opportunity to see that it's more than just me who wants this.

That's all I want - tools or the reason you won't release anything for us OR reply to any of us - because I am not the only person you have ignored about this. I'm not saying you completely ignore people, but I am one of a handful who are still completely clueless and awestruck that you haven't stormed the indie game developer scene by supporting modding in your game. That rings so many things that perhaps you can't see from your perspective - but from mine, i have read All of the dead ends - you can change a lot of lives, it's even that serious. lol. Frustration kills creativity when it isn't able to be directed into the art - You could make modding a bit more accessible, you could at least open up the game to people who own it. You closed version 2.0 and 3.0, but the website (PC version SA website) says you will support modding.

DON'T say you are scared of controversy, you are not. I know "daddy's back" and your competition are "bitches" (opening of GTA IV is a stab at EA for failing at cloning - and I love you for smacking them). I know from your own in-game hot coffee jokes that isn't the reason. And we could not do ANY worse than FPS modders do - and to this day modders have been only an ASSET to you, never a detriment. Your games gain players who don't even like them just because they see awesome mods that make them more suited for their taste. Why won't you embrace this? Why do you ignore the people who love your games more than ANY of the other fans could ever dream to? Why do you ignore your most dedicated following? Tell me, I deserve to know. We all do.

You're not just my favorite game company, you are the Only game company that even exists in my world besides Valve. Please, finally, and once and for all, tell me why you won't let us mod your games. You don't have to SUPPORT us, WE can handle ALL of that here. Just give us the tools. For old games, at least?

Jigglyass
  • Jigglyass

Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 July 2009 - 07:50 PM

"Every time you are caught cheating, your CD Key should be void"
ORLY? GTFO my game.

supermortalhuman
  • supermortalhuman

522A4EA9

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 July 2009 - 07:51 PM Edited by supermortalhuman, 05 July 2009 - 07:55 PM.

QUOTE (JigglyAss @ Jul 5 2009, 15:50)
ORLY? GTFO my game.

Oh, so you like cheating? Your CD key Should be void. It should be. You do not deserve to play a game when you cheat - that goes for all games, not just video games.

If it was poker, you would be shot.

The topic is not about that - I used those terms to show I am NOT supporting cheating and that modding is NOT cheating. Way to ignore the topic and pick only a little part that you disagreed with... real deep of you? GTFO your game? YOUR game? Right. GTFO of my topic, then? Would it be fair to say that to you? confused.gif

I want answers. I went through various emails, I went through the PM system. I just want to know why they don't at least release their SA tools. They won't even be using them ever again (EA owns criterion now)

Jigglyass
  • Jigglyass

Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 July 2009 - 07:54 PM

QUOTE (supermortalhuman @ Jul 6 2009, 02:51)
ORLY? GTFO my game.

Oh, so you like cheating? Your CD key Should be void. It should be. You do not deserve to play a game when you cheat - that goes for all games, not just video games.

The topic is not about that - I used those terms to show I am NOT supporting cheating and that modding is NOT cheating. GTFO your game? GTFO of my topic.

ORLY? Not my fault developers slacked off on security.
If others cheat to piss me off, it do the same thing back.
Nevertheless, dream on, voiding will never happen.
Yet it is the dumbest idea ive ever heard as a solution to fix MP cheating, causing more problems than solutions.
If you don't know the potential problems it would cause then you are supporting something you know nothing about.
GTFO stands. Poker is your comparison? I lold
IRL lol hard.

supermortalhuman
  • supermortalhuman

522A4EA9

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 July 2009 - 07:56 PM Edited by supermortalhuman, 05 July 2009 - 07:59 PM.

You look so dense right now. The topic is not even about that.

You OBVIOUSLY think this is an anti cheating topic, it is NOT. So I guess not only is this forum full of people who are unable to type more than 5 sentences, but also made of people who don't even READ a topic? No, this forum is full of intelligent people - you're just the example of the opposite in this case. I am so appalled that with ALL that my topic covers, you chose the least important part.

And you don't "cheat back" liar - you are a cheater. 2 wrongs dont make a right. If there are cheaters, leave the server. You should lose your key for retaliation. Kindly, back out of this topic, you do Not belong here if you are not capable of reading it before you run your mouth about a small minute detail that has NOTHING to do with the topic.

Thanks smile.gif

Jigglyass
  • Jigglyass

Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 July 2009 - 07:57 PM

QUOTE (supermortalhuman @ Jul 6 2009, 02:56)
You look so dense right now. The topic is not even about that.

You OBVIOUSLY think this is an anti cheating topic, it is NOT.

Thanks.

Nah im just pointing out one thing, just getting it off my chest.

Stalkertr
  • Stalkertr

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 05 July 2009 - 08:00 PM

Stop this arguement guys , or moderator/admin will close the topic ...

btw supermortalhuman , when did you send this to them ?

supermortalhuman
  • supermortalhuman

522A4EA9

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 July 2009 - 08:01 PM Edited by supermortalhuman, 05 July 2009 - 08:07 PM.

Ok, fine, you got it off your chest. You didn't have to do it here where it has nothing to do with the topic except to remind people cheating is Not modding.

God. Why>?

@stalker: Thank you for bringing order! I sent it over the past few years and more so over the past few months, never a response and I just want the truth cryani.gif

@jiggly: there, I removed that part of my post. Hopefully you'll actually see my meaning now, and not go off on a tangent cursing at me anymore. I'm sorry for being so matter-of-fact about cheating, but cheaters died in the wild west. Hackers have it too easy, and they give modders a bad name. That's all.

Stalkertr
  • Stalkertr

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 05 July 2009 - 08:04 PM

I bet , they are gettin messages like this over 1000 per day , maybe that's why they didnt respond turn.gif

supermortalhuman
  • supermortalhuman

522A4EA9

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 July 2009 - 08:06 PM

If that is the case, then they need to get the message and give us tools, you know what I mean?

They need to let us mod the games. Even if they don't spend money to support us, rockstar needs to give us the tools. They have the biggest modding community and NONE of it is official - that is ridiculous wouldn't you say?

I want the real reason they don't let us mod their game, unless it's insecurity that our mods will be better? I don't see how, we don't have millions for voice talent etc.

Please rockstar, tell us why, or give us tools?

Johnline
  • Johnline

junglist

• Members

Posted 05 July 2009 - 08:08 PM Edited by Johnline, 05 July 2009 - 08:28 PM.

what if your little brother plays on your pc, cheats, and you come back to a banned cd key. it can never be that cut and dry.
in fact it is evident from the past 4 patches all r* care about is blocking cheaters/mods, and not actually making their game perform/render/play as it should. its aweful.

aside from that modding gta is the only reason i still play it to this day. started way back when i saw a custom ambulance skin in gta3 and thought it was the most awesome thing in the world.
as my interest grew it has propelled me into the career i am in to this day. i'm a 3d modeller/artist for a museum design company. and it all started off from trolling through zmod to try and make small gta3/vc mods.
my knowledge on computers went from 0 to 99% because of gta modding too.
none of this involved an xbox or a playstation. because modding is only feasible on the pc, so when i saw the sorry state of this next gen 'IV' it just left a bad taste in my mouth. rootkits, an (anti) social club that hogs your system, windows live, .net, flash and ie. i really expected better than this bs for the pc.
as it is i can hardly install and play IV on my ample pc. some radically different mods would probably make me play this game, but we all know that can only come from the community, which r* have decided to leave behind and believe in the fallacy that is microsoft.
its not all microsoft however. without all the rootkits and obstacles, IV still runs on a crappy engine and the gameplay has no finesse.

so yeah rockstar; mods are desperately needed. maybe modders can fix your game for you. start listening to your real fans rather than microsoft and console fanboys if you want to stay at the top of this game for any foreseeable time.

crackdawg
  • crackdawg

supreme ruler

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 July 2009 - 08:08 PM

Banning license keys is stupid. Here is why:

1. A multiplayer crack exists
2. There are hooking proxies that will send wininet calls from any process to it's configured proxy.

It'll only get rid of incompetent morons.

CharmingCharlie
  • CharmingCharlie

Proud PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 05 July 2009 - 08:11 PM

Look guys this isn't a topic about cheating, I haven't even read all of the TC's post but even I can see it isn't about cheating. Now there are PLENTY of topics on cheating already, if you have something to say about cheating then use them. This thread appears to be about Rockstar being more active in supporting the modding of it's games. So if you have something to say on THAT ISSUE then post, if you just want to rant about cheating then post elsewhere.

sjaak327
  • sjaak327

Big Homie

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 05 July 2009 - 08:13 PM

You "could" look at it from a different angle, as it seems to me Rockstar isn't putting much effort into preventing you from modding this game.

AmbiquitY
  • AmbiquitY

Rat

• Members

Posted 05 July 2009 - 08:16 PM

Official mods mean people going to play the game a lot longer. The more people still love enjoy this game, might not buy the new one, so they make less money.
Maybe that's one of the reasons..?

BUT, it could also turn out differently because of the awesome game experience, more people will be waiting to buy the new game because they hope it'll be as awesome and they want to play and mod it too! Thus making rockstar get more money..

supermortalhuman
  • supermortalhuman

522A4EA9

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 July 2009 - 08:17 PM

QUOTE (sjaak327 @ Jul 5 2009, 16:13)
You "could" look at it from a different angle, as it seems to me Rockstar isn't putting much effort into preventing you from modding this game.

yes! exactly smile.gif

It seems like they are cool with it, I never heard of any cease and desist except for when people were using other licensed assets.

That's why I have such a hard time understanding why there are no tools.

If it is as simple as "we really find it to be amazing and like to watch people take it apart and mod it their own way without our help"

or as simple as "We like to develop new workflows by seeing how others do it - giving you tools would keep it stale for us, and you"

I would be so happy just to have a real, official, answer that makes sense. Cause they are indeed not actively locking us out, or stopping the activities, so why won't they support us? I want GTA SA tools (real ones with only the bugs they dealt with in their own use of them, not new bugs because people had to make their own), and one day, I'd like IV tools cryani.gif

MorlockGod
  • MorlockGod

Creator

• Members

Posted 05 July 2009 - 08:44 PM

Modding in MultiPlayer is CHEATING! How can you suggest that Rockstar should allow... Nahh I'm only kidding. I couldn't resist being an offtopic dumbass there for a second.

Great opening post SuperMortalHuman. It would be excellent to see Rockstar being more active or open with the PC modding community, but I'm not going to hold my breath. They have a ridiculously tight-lipped approach to PR and communication, like a socially dysfunctional oyster spitting out a pearl every few years. We want more mod control.

PC Video Editor: Nice
PC Independence FM: Nice
PC Modding: Essential

ZAZ
  • ZAZ

Kernlochbohrer

• Feroci
  • European-Union

Posted 05 July 2009 - 09:20 PM

GTA IV should be independent from GFWL. GTA IV is like a tiger in chain and GFWL is the chain.
I'm shure that 50 percent of the users can not play MP. You dont know that because your MP works but read in other forums.
My game crashes in the moment of connection and if I put Xliveless inthere it works fine.
R* should make an interface wich allows independent MP developers to create new MP connections.
R* will loose then its problem and we have our fun.

MitchyK
  • MitchyK

United Liberty Paper, Employee Of The Month

• Members

Posted 05 July 2009 - 09:28 PM

To be honest guys, the two main reasons for them not supporting modding are probably these;

1. If they support modding, they may end up making their own DLC worth less as a result, they are in business to make money first and foremost, and they will not be likely to lower their profit margin to please their customers. What company does?

2. With all the complaints about GTA IV being unreliable, sluggish, etc, they probably don't want to add to the problem by having loads of unlicensed mods floating around. Most people on this forum if they used a mod, would know to ask the maker for assistance or a board like this. A lot of people are just as likely to download a mod then go off at R* When it doesn't work, or corrupts their installation, so they keep their distance and let the few mods that are going well keep going well. They don't outright ban people from making them, which is more than fair, after all the licence agreement for your game clearly states you agree not to try and reverse engineer or modify files. So they could just start issuing court orders to people to stop, but they haven't.

So on balance I think them not supporting, but not stopping modding, is about as fair as they can be. After all, everybody on here moans how they do little to stop cheaters, can you imagine how much stick they'd get for giving them the tools to cheat on a plate? LOL

MitchyK

Hunglikeafruitbat
  • Hunglikeafruitbat

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 July 2009 - 09:32 PM

I don't really understand this either. I can't see it drawing attention away from the consoles. Let's face it, if you're just now buying a PS2 for $99 you have no hope in hell of affording a PC to run either SA or IV, or, you just don't feel it's necessary to spend that much. I would like to thank R* and this site as well. I came here a few days ago trying to get some help with a video card decision. I was left to figure it out on my own, which I prefer. A week ago I had a brand new computer a copy of GTAIV and no idea how to use either. Now I am comfortable with swapping hardware out (had to swap my 300wat psu with a 500watt, and my Geforce 9100(lol) with a 4890 1gb) and installing and using asi. mods. This may not seem like that much to the more experienced, but I'm terribly impressed with what I've been able to learn in the last week, so I want to say thanks for my new and rapidly growing skill set. I really think this would make good sense for R*. Imagine a marketing campaign where they show people who got their start in the industry by modding GTA games? Ultimately I would think it is a good idea for them to support this aspect of gaming culture, at the same time however just coming off of the PS3 version of this game, I am absolutely amazed to even see R* posting here and supporting this game, the PS3 version was left in the sun to die, so I bought a PC. I hope you get your answer friend, but until then I think we should just be happy that they aren't stopping modding altogether and that we have one of the two supported versions of this game. Then again thats my opinion and opinions are like as........well, you know!

supermortalhuman
  • supermortalhuman

522A4EA9

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 July 2009 - 09:50 PM Edited by supermortalhuman, 06 July 2009 - 03:21 AM.

A long time ago, coming toward the release of console IV, when I was catching on to their social club thing and starting to see more from them, I was feeling like Rockstar perhaps was seeing how big their community was and were going to finally (yes, I am waiting) embrace them and begin to lead them. And I don't mean in any way other than other mediums perhaps have done so. I don't mean any "I take observational comedy way too serious" kind of way, more in a "There is enough of a community under them, even here in forums completely dedicated to just one of their franchises and many others for their games on the web, it is under-tapped. This is the next step. I see them beginning to interact with the people more. By now they must know that as a creative platform their game will sell like Hot Cakes - maybe the next generation also includes this big, welcomed step".

I was floored when I found out Rockstar Toronto was on this board. I was like "wow! They really did start to interact with the people more!" and I assumed it was more than just fixing what was (in my opinion) wrongly accused as being a bum product launch. IV PC caught a lot of heat, it was all over the 'press' and I really don't think it deserved the heat considering the difference between this game and everything else we've been playing until now. I think that because IV has really run great on PC's that have equally or better specs than the consoles, and most importantly the speed of them matching or exceeding the consoles was the main factor (as opposed to ram or vram abundance, for example).

I thought tools were coming, and maybe they are, we got a video editor. Please tell me you didn't give me a video editor to do machinima and never plan to let me put new art in there. Not even my own props and rooms? How does that make sense? It makes sense because you know there is an active modding community and you have now given them proper video editing capabilities - that's a plus for everyone, and you don't tell us not to mod your game, and that's really awesome of you. But I want you to encourage it.

I LOVE GTA, I really do, but I don't have time to play games all the time - I do have time to make sure I vegetate-n-dedicate on launch day for each new GTA on PS2 or PC (that's my standards, I'm sorry, I'm not a console kid and I had more time to play games in the PS2 days - but you will always have my dollar for this series). That being said, though, if something else gives me a way to build a little world and share it with the real world, then I'm there.

This is even a different kind of modding. More than just because it's 3rd party entirely, it's different because of the flexibility that you provide to your artists. There is no game engine out there paid or free that I prefer over GTA engines - None. If you packaged this sh*t without a city, just peds props and cars, and sold it for 100 dollars with all I need to make my own worlds, I would pay a yearly subscription of that price let alone pay the face of the box.

This is yours. Don't let THQ read this and try to beat you to the punch with some tools (I still won't buy your game, THQ, I played it in 2004, it was called San Andreas, and it was better - humor to break the serious tone, this post needs it). I posted in a way to get people on board in there and one sentence shot my topic down. Here is a refresher (and Morlock you are noted, touche' and thank you)

Sure, not many people will use it at first - there are only so many people who actually mod GTA as it is, with arguably "the best" doing other things by now. That would change quickly. If you release some tools, you will have every person out there who just wants something that only your workflow provides. I hate looking all over the place to find some engine that seems good only to find it might be awesome, but it's extremely complicated.

Perhaps you have not approached modding because you are faced with some issue for creating a map editor suitable for consumer use. To that I say, we are smart. We are indigo and crystal, and we don't need a map editor. Your game doesn't even work in that particular way. It's already mapped and awaiting what you write in those text files, defining and placing what you create in your art package of choice, and then pass through the main one in your pipeline.

Please, take this part of the community under you, you are worldwide now, this is one of those things a lot of people literally say are impossible, show them it isn't. Encourage creativity, especially in those of us who play all 90+ missions and listen to what you want to tell us. Listen to what at least this modding part of your community is telling you. Your EULA covers them - that license is cool too - wait till you see how awesome you are when you make this more than a myth on the web. Before I saw gtamodding (johnline mentioned his first was back in GTA3!) I thought it was a myth - a lie - that it was even possible, let alone that it really let me model and make games the way I wanted to.

Your GTA games have ALWAYS been the games that did what I was like "Man, if I had a game it would be..." - all the sudden GTA is coming out and there's my game. It is similar, I now can say, to what I always look for in an engine. I liked Half Life 2 a lot. Modding it is stupid. I can't believe those kinds of editors still exist. What are we children? No, we're not, as you all in the industry always point out in different discussions: Average gamer is 35. Modders are all ages shapes and sizes and so are indie game developers.

Let us make our own episodes.

MPACK allows that in san andreas. Can we have your tools since you're done with it? We'll promote them and end up adding another layer of platinum to your game sales. Please, can we mod your games? If it wasn't possible with GTA SA because of renderware, and then now EA owns them of all people, then it must be possible with RAGE.

Thank you for your consideration, I'm sure you'll be reading this on Monday if at all, and hopefully by then there will be even more than there already are people showing you that now is the time, and that the time belongs to you.

I can't agree with most of the vocal minority about most things, but I can agree with every one of the GTAmodders: This should be bigger, this should be official. Your game is the perfect - Perfect - 3D construction kit for people. Your game is like a weemap. Remember the weemap? Please, let us make episodes. You gave us camera and video output, let us make more than SPoilers with it, please?

edit:
It would appear that for the most part, it really is a negligible minority who will get behind modding in support of Rockstar, in support of the community inspired by them. If it is not worth the read, I understand. Someone will read it, and chances are, that person who could talk wont.

I've gotten PM's about my lengthy posts, not being rude to me either - people who I think are cool actually. But they said "no one's gonna read them" and for the most part it is true. I'm just the minority, speaking. The majority do look them over, I'm not quite speaking to the majority. I'm just engaging in the communities I've found online, and trying to imrpove them, in my journey to improve myself. And rockstar is sleeping on a mountain of support and PR they don't even have to say a word about just

"We're releasing a new patch for San Andreas to bring all versions to 3.0 and including some tools for artists to take their creations and put them into the san andreas world" Your website even says it would happen! (PC versions site: http://www.rockstarg...sanandreas/pc/) We don't need all of their stuff, we just want it to be supported. These posts come from discussions and many peoples opinions and it just isn't turning out what it seemed it would be.

I guarantee you if you make this accessible to modders, you can pull second life players. Especially if you, for example, allow premium mods on your official sites that you hand pick. This edit, all of the things I said, go from appealing to readers to imploring rockstar, but someone's gotta say it... effed up job, someone's gotta do it, something they know about.

You guys have a mountain more people not even aware that your game can be modded without a news report on a few commercial sites and a Sessler's Soap Box about it. A press release and a final no-cd 3.0 like my steam one came with is all it takes. A developer EXE that won't run the commercial game. The San Andreas website even says there would be mod tools.

I said all kinds of stuff here, to give you allllll kinds of things to work from for whatever reason you don't give us tools. Just once and for all, give us an official and definitive answer as to why you have jumped into the social club but completely left out the most social part of the GTA series. You let us do it, we love you for that, but why don't you include it? Now can we please turn the light off and get some sleep? Good night, I love yew inlove.gif

MorlockGod
  • MorlockGod

Creator

• Members

Posted 06 July 2009 - 11:05 AM

Looong post, but very true SuperMortalHuman (SMH). There is huge untapped potential for the GTA Universe. I definitely agree that Rockstar create the best sandbox environment that just begs to be customised.

I think it would have to be marketed as something quite separately from GTA though, as not to dilute their brand. Maybe call it something like "RAGE OpenWorld" that allows modders and independent game designers to release "Islands" that connect to the greater world map. Each "Island", big or small, could contain it's own set of vehicles, weapons, physical properties, characters, special effects, etc. and the user simply chooses which "Island" affects the rest of the world map (e.g. which set of custom cars are seen driving everywhere).

Rockstar could charge a monthly subscription for the developer tools and licencing rights in order to make these "Islands" and then they could host them on their Rockstar Social Club. They could still allow the normal free level of Modding becaue the best ones would inevitable make their way into a new plug-in Island.

As you say SMH,just think of all the Second Life players that would love to turn their editing skills onto a game engine like RAGE!

oc student
  • oc student

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 06 July 2009 - 11:52 AM

QUOTE (MorlockGod @ Jul 6 2009, 11:05)
Looong post, but very true SuperMortalHuman (SMH). There is huge untapped potential for the GTA Universe. I definitely agree that Rockstar create the best sandbox environment that just begs to be customised.

I think it would have to be marketed as something quite separately from GTA though, as not to dilute their brand. Maybe call it something like "RAGE OpenWorld" that allows modders and independent game designers to release "Islands" that connect to the greater world map. Each "Island", big or small, could contain it's own set of vehicles, weapons, physical properties, characters, special effects, etc. and the user simply chooses which "Island" affects the rest of the world map (e.g. which set of custom cars are seen driving everywhere).

Rockstar could charge a monthly subscription for the developer tools and licencing rights in order to make these "Islands" and then they could host them on their Rockstar Social Club. They could still allow the normal free level of Modding becaue the best ones would inevitable make their way into a new plug-in Island.

As you say SMH,just think of all the Second Life players that would love to turn their editing skills onto a game engine like RAGE!

This would blow any other game out of the water.

supermortalhuman
  • supermortalhuman

522A4EA9

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 July 2009 - 07:45 PM Edited by supermortalhuman, 06 July 2009 - 10:52 PM.

Hell yea! Still no word from Toronto as why not though.

I think if they packaged it and sold it like that, it could work, but supporting GTA Modding is the big one, easier to do, and they can seriously up their online money that way. Not questioning their current assets, but this could not be a bad move.

Warlord.
  • Warlord.

:O

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 06 July 2009 - 08:52 PM

I'm totally with you man. IV has great potential for modding.

R*, if you're reading, if you increase your support for mods, you'll see massive boosts in sales. GTAF has some seriously awesome modders, and their mods can attract loads of new customers smile.gif .

Masturmind
  • Masturmind

Magii Piscatri

• Members

Posted 06 July 2009 - 10:54 PM

QUOTE (supermortalhuman @ Jul 5 2009, 19:51)
ORLY? GTFO my game.

The topic is not about that - I used those terms to show I am NOT supporting cheating and that modding is NOT cheating. Way to ignore the topic and pick only a little part that you disagreed with... real deep of you? GTFO your game? YOUR game? Right. GTFO of my topic, then? Would it be fair to say that to you? confused.gif

I want answers. I went through various emails, I went through the PM system. I just want to know why they don't at least release their SA tools. They won't even be using them ever again (EA owns criterion now)

If he paid for it, he should be able just to play the game without anyone bothering him. But there are other methods to keep cheaters away, such as VAC.

PatrickFaustin
  • PatrickFaustin

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 06 July 2009 - 11:03 PM

If supermortalhuman ruled the game industry, every game released would pretty much make you cream yourself. Listen to the minority. Let's rid the world of Halotards and make some real games.

supermortalhuman
  • supermortalhuman

522A4EA9

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 July 2009 - 11:37 PM

Thanks! I am so intimately their fan, this is only the tip of the untapped community I see for this company, comparable to an iceberg.

Someone mentioned at the end of page one "Thanks this forum and GTA IV PC for my new skillset"

I hadn't mentioned that - the learning in technical things that comes with modding applies to SO much more than games - help us make the internet smart again, Rockstar, please? lol.

It had crossed my mind to PM Toronto again, this time to let them know about the topic. I decided against it as I would be pretty well disappointed if I PM'd its existence and they STILL didn't respond. So I'll maintain hope, and we'll continue to build the opinion!

Rockstar loves pleasing their fans - We never did this before, never asked directly for something, let's show them it really is important to us.

Harry&Lee
  • Harry&Lee

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 July 2009 - 11:43 PM

its asses like JigglyAss who ruin the game

supermortalhuman
  • supermortalhuman

522A4EA9

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 July 2009 - 12:17 AM Edited by supermortalhuman, 07 July 2009 - 04:36 AM.

A new video shared in another topic - The effect that the couch gives - it was not possible without a modification. Think of all of the videos you can make if you can add your own models!

On a side note, here's a topic for mod fans who want to share their ideas and get their San Andreas/IV Total Conversion mod ideas into discussion! http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=416704

This game is UNDERUSED and always has been - You feel this way yourselves, knowing that these cities deserve many stories, let alone new maps by players promoting your game - using this JUST as games is a waste of your technology when we could be using it to express ourselves! You can't make the following video without modding, and you can't create this kind of art without that couch! (well, not the couch, but you see what he did there - Brilliant NOT POSSIBLE in stock GTA! smile.gif )

San ANdreas had MPACKS, Episodes are MPACKS - the games are still underused! You have a platform, you make the Daddy Games, let us make your babies.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users