Photo

Chinatown Wars coming to PSP

248 replies to this topic
adamcs
  • adamcs

Pixelante

• United-Kingdom

Posted 22 June 2009 - 12:08 PM

New York, NY – June 22, 2009 – Rockstar Games, the world-renowned publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO), is pleased to announce that one of the highest-rated handheld games of all time, Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars, will be making its way to the PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) handheld entertainment system. Developed by the award-winning studio Rockstar Leeds, in conjunction with series creator Rockstar North, Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars will be available at retail on UMD® and digitally from the PlayStation®Network in North America and Europe this fall.

"We're proud to extend this truly unique handheld Grand Theft Auto experience to PSP and offer a downloadable version of Chinatown Wars for PSP®go," said Sam Houser, Founder of Rockstar Games. "Rockstar Leeds has shown incredible talent in creating games that raise the bar in terms of depth and innovation on portables, and with Chinatown Wars we have a rich, fast-paced, and incredibly addictive entry into the series."

"Rockstar's work with the GTA series has been an enormous part of the success of PlayStation platforms," said Jack Tretton, President and CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment America. "We're excited to welcome the critically acclaimed Chinatown Wars to the outstanding line-up of great games headed to the PSP platform this fall."

Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars follows the story of Huang Lee, a young Triad who travels to Liberty City after the mysterious death of his father. Within the game, players will navigate their way through the streets as they uncover the truth behind an epic tale of crime and corruption within the Triad crime syndicate, delivering the unprecedented amount of depth that has become a true trademark of the franchise. Specifically built for the PSP platform with upscaled widescreen graphics, enhanced lighting and animation; and including all-new story missions; this version of Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars will take full advantage of the power of the PSP system.

For more information please visit www.rockstargames.com/chinatownwars.

http://ir.take2games...eleaseID=390972

springsteen_fan
  • springsteen_fan

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 22 June 2009 - 12:29 PM

AWESOME!!!!!!

Arvis
  • Arvis

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 22 June 2009 - 12:29 PM

Finally new GTA on PSP!
Great to hear it will have updated graphics also, the only bad thing i could mind is Liberty City again, unless it looks way different than in LCS or III.
Awesome news. icon14.gif

kuro-neko
  • kuro-neko

\(^_^)/

• Members

Posted 22 June 2009 - 01:17 PM

Great news, I hope they port it to PS2.

Omnia sunt Communia
  • Omnia sunt Communia

Tierra Y Libertad

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 June 2009 - 01:33 PM

Wait... what? dontgetit.gif

Is this going to be a new game? Because I don't see any possible way they can transplant Chinatown War's unique features (adapted especially for the Nintendo DS) onto the PSP/Go without sacrificing a lot of the content. The updated graphics seem like a bit of a cop-out, as well, who actaully plays GTA for the graphics?

Why don't they just create a new game? I think that would please most fans. Because people who have it on Nintendo DS are going to envious of the updated graphics and new storyline missions and those of us playing it on the PSP are going to be envious of the missing features, touchscreen and microphone capabilities that the PSP doesn't have.

Sometimes the only thing left to say is: "What the f*ck?"

GTA_Loco
  • GTA_Loco

Make Things Differently

• Members

Posted 22 June 2009 - 01:41 PM

I wish there'd be an option for an eye level view camera angle.

Craig
  • Craig

Hell Interface

• Members
  • None
  • Best Writer 2011

Posted 22 June 2009 - 01:44 PM

Essentially what JF said here. Long story short, by the time Rockstar have tinkered with the game enough to make it playable to any degree, it may as well be a completely new game and unless it's being marketed as such, I don't see this being a very good idea. I've not even played CTW but I know the dual-screen and touch screen mechanics feature heavily in the game; they'd have to.

I'll wait and see for more information and screenshots before I say any more.

Blackbird88
  • Blackbird88

Emulator user

• Members
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 22 June 2009 - 01:50 PM

HOLY HELL! Thats awesome news! I hope they will upgrade it to Stories graphics.

Street Mix
  • Street Mix

Merry Christmas, you filthy animal

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 June 2009 - 01:53 PM

OMG. True experience - only on DS.

Garfield 2
  • Garfield 2

BMW Maniac

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 June 2009 - 01:58 PM

Please, GTA IV Graphics on the PSP. You can do it Rockstar! lol.gif

~Vic Vance~
  • ~Vic Vance~

Just call me Tom

• Members

Posted 22 June 2009 - 02:28 PM

If they're going to port it like it is on the DS, comparing to VCS and LCS I must say we will have gone a step backwards.
Hopefully they're going to change it a lot.

grtz
Tom

Fabio206
  • Fabio206

GTA-Expert.it Webmaster

• Members

Posted 22 June 2009 - 02:33 PM

Good news for PSP owners smile.gif

General Goose
  • General Goose

Because Jeb Bush is all in my house with disease.

• Members

Posted 22 June 2009 - 02:33 PM

QUOTE (Jacky Fiend @ Jun 22 2009, 13:33)
Wait... what? dontgetit.gif

Is this going to be a new game? Because I don't see any possible way they can transplant Chinatown War's unique features (adapted especially for the Nintendo DS) onto the PSP/Go without sacrificing a lot of the content. The updated graphics seem like a bit of a cop-out, as well, who actaully plays GTA for the graphics?

Why don't they just create a new game? I think that would please most fans. Because people who have it on Nintendo DS are going to envious of the updated graphics and new storyline missions and those of us playing it on the PSP are going to be envious of the missing features, touchscreen and microphone capabilities that the PSP doesn't have.

Sometimes the only thing left to say is: "What the f*ck?"

This.

Seriously, CTW is an AWESOME game, but too unique to be just ported.

Arvis
  • Arvis

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 22 June 2009 - 02:43 PM

It isn't written it is going to be ported, there will be new missions, new gameplay, new graphics, same game, but still different. I hope they'll update LC detail to PSP level and get camera angle like in other PSP GTAs.

hip
  • hip

LCPD

• Members

Posted 22 June 2009 - 03:03 PM

Yo! Yo! Yo!

Very good news! I'm glad! I hope that the engine will be as LSC & VCS.

Thank you Rockstar Leeds and Rockstar North biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

rdbx1234
  • rdbx1234

Cow-tippin Crack Baby

• Members

Posted 22 June 2009 - 03:03 PM

Wow, maybe I still have use for my PSP after all.

Great news indeed. smile.gif

Illousion
  • Illousion

Over the hills and far away

• The Connection

Posted 22 June 2009 - 03:27 PM

Great news, looking forward to this.

KGBeast
  • KGBeast

Thug

• Members

Posted 22 June 2009 - 03:43 PM

I'll wait to see what happens to the touch pad features first, but I have to say, I am interested.

dj-ybt
  • dj-ybt

n00bkill3r69

• Members

Posted 22 June 2009 - 03:47 PM

cool i gonna say it to my homeboy hi is a great gta fan on psp
hi s gonna be happy biggrin.gif cool.gif

Knife
  • Knife

Tits.

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 22 June 2009 - 03:56 PM

The touch screen wasn't even used that much (and not really at all in the core gameplay). Those features can easily be replaced with normal controls like pressing a button combo to hotwire a car and tapping X when your car goes in water to break the window.

Graphics wise they said 'upscaled' which just means the game runs at a higher resolution, because the PSP is higher-res/bigger screen.

It will be the same game overall and they are clearly doing it because of the sh*t sales on DS.

Omnia sunt Communia
  • Omnia sunt Communia

Tierra Y Libertad

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 June 2009 - 03:56 PM

QUOTE (Vecis @ Jun 22 2009, 15:43)
It isn't written it is going to be ported, there will be new missions, new gameplay, new graphics, same game, but still different. I hope they'll update LC detail to PSP level and get camera angle like in other PSP GTAs.

Then it's not the same game, is it? New graphics, new gameplay, new missions and whatever else usually signifies that it is a new game. Bad call, Rockstar, bad call. You should of just made a separate game for the PSP.

Reconite
  • Reconite

PC Gaming Master Race

• Members

Posted 22 June 2009 - 03:58 PM

It won't be CTW without the touch screen features, really you'd just be moving a cursor controlled by the 1 analog stick around the screen clicking stuff in touch screen interfaces.
Also, if they decide to get rid of the touch screen stuff altogether, that's going to make it even less CTW. And if they update the graphics to stories calibre then it wouldn't be CTW really, just a clone of it without any of the unique features and things you get from a DS. mad.gif

They should really just make a new game for PSP and keep CTW to the DS imo. confused.gif

BEFORE ANYONE STARTS CHALLENGING ME ON THAT, I AM ENTITLED TO MY OWN OPINION!

Knife
  • Knife

Tits.

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 22 June 2009 - 04:00 PM

QUOTE (Jacky Fiend @ Jun 22 2009, 16:56)
QUOTE (Vecis @ Jun 22 2009, 15:43)

Then it's not the same game, is it? New graphics, new gameplay, new missions and whatever else usually signifies that it is a new game. Bad call, Rockstar, bad call. You should of just made a separate game for the PSP.

That's not quite as easy as a port though biggrin.gif

As I said before, the only reason for this port is the poor DS sales. They put time and effort into making it, then it didn't sell even though it was very well reviewed. So it makes business sense as it probably doesn't take too much time or effort to do the port and yet make quite a bit of money.

Reconite
  • Reconite

PC Gaming Master Race

• Members

Posted 22 June 2009 - 04:01 PM Edited by Reconite, 22 June 2009 - 04:04 PM.

EDITED TO REPLY TO MESSAGE AFTER THIS:

Actually it's at no.1 in the DS game charts at the moment just in front of pokémon platinum, and it's no.1 top selling DS game in Britain.

Knife
  • Knife

Tits.

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 22 June 2009 - 04:02 PM Edited by Knife, 22 June 2009 - 04:12 PM.

QUOTE (Reconite @ Jun 22 2009, 17:01)
QUOTE (Knife @ Jun 22 2009, 15:56)
It will be the same game overall and they are clearly doing it because of the sh*t sales on DS.

BULLsh*t! angry.gif

The Wii and the DS got way more sales than Xbox 360, PSP and PS3 over the last few years.

I'm talking about Chinatown Wars sales. You know it didn't sell well at all right?

EDIT: Just incase: http://kotaku.com/52...sales-are-awful

EDIT2 for edit post above: Well, I'm seeing it at number 11 in the charts this week. It's the top seller on play.com but they are selling it for only £9.99

Blackbird88
  • Blackbird88

Emulator user

• Members
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 22 June 2009 - 04:06 PM

IDC about touchscreen features. They were annoying.

Smiley001
  • Smiley001

Abandoned all hope...

• Members

Posted 22 June 2009 - 04:07 PM

Are they SERIOUS?! HELL ****ing YES!! biggrin.gif
I knew my PSP would be getting some use soon!

Reconite
  • Reconite

PC Gaming Master Race

• Members

Posted 22 June 2009 - 04:15 PM Edited by Reconite, 22 June 2009 - 04:26 PM.

QUOTE (Smiley001 @ Jun 22 2009, 16:07)
Are they SERIOUS?! HELL ****ing YES!!  biggrin.gif

Ya know... since the PSP Go has no UMD drive you might not be able to get it on your older ones when/if it does come out for PSP and they will release it for PSP Go and not any of the older models. So really, it's for PSP owners who didn't want to get a DS, thinking they're in luck with this and then they tell you to buy the PSP Go at that huge hefty price tag just to get it.

And have you seen the amount of accessories coming out for the PSP Go? No doubt you will need to buy loads of them to get games working on it, it's all a crap money making scheme held together with one analog stick.

$250 for a Go? Better off getting DSi when it comes to handhelds.
I played the stories games on my PS2.

Unless they plan on porting it real soon with all those better graphics and different gameplay features, before Oct the 1st. By then everything will be overshadowed by PSP Go stuff. And if they do port it that soon, it's likely that it will look the same as on the DS (Without the 3rd person and ultra graphics ideas you guys are getting).

Sorry to burst your bubbles guys but it's just an epic fail by R*, just like GTA1 and 2 on GBC... Now tell me I don't make a good point!

Also, kinda ruins the point of putting a mostly touch screen game on a different system that doesn't utilize a touch screen.

springsteen_fan
  • springsteen_fan

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 22 June 2009 - 04:27 PM

QUOTE (Reconite @ Jun 22 2009, 17:15)
QUOTE (Smiley001 @ Jun 22 2009, 16:07)
Are they SERIOUS?! HELL ****ing YES!!  biggrin.gif

Ya know... since the PSP Go has no UMD drive you might not be able to get it on your older ones when/if it does come out for PSP and they will release it for PSP Go and not any of the older models. So really, it's for PSP owners who didn't want to get a DS, thinking they're in luck with this and then they tell you to buy the PSP Go at that huge hefty price tag just to get it.

And have you seen the amount of accessories coming out for the PSP Go? No doubt you will need to buy loads of them to get games working on it, it's all a crap money making scheme held together with one analog stick.

$250 for a Go? Better off getting DSi when it comes to handhelds.
I played the stories games on my PS2.

Unless they plan on porting it real soon with all those better graphics and different gameplay features, before Oct the 1st. By then everything will be overshadowed by PSP Go stuff. And if they do port it that soon, it's likely that it will look the same as on the DS (Without the 3rd person and ultra graphics ideas you guys are getting).

Sorry to burst your bubbles guys but it's just an epic fail by R*, just like GTA1 and 2 on GBC... Now tell me I don't make a good point!

OP says that CTW will be released on UMD.

Reconite
  • Reconite

PC Gaming Master Race

• Members

Posted 22 June 2009 - 04:29 PM Edited by Reconite, 22 June 2009 - 04:32 PM.

QUOTE (springsteen_fan @ Jun 22 2009, 16:27)
OP says that CTW will be released on UMD.

Yeah, but it's still an epic fail cuz of lack of touch screen, which makes CTW what it is. Unless one of those many accessories for the PSP Go happens to be a touch screen adapter which would make you buy a PSP Go for CTW touch screen features in the end anyway.

Marketing ploy!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users