Setup your own DNS server.

2 replies to this topic
SagaciousKJB
  • SagaciousKJB

Captain tl;dr

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 12 June 2009 - 08:35 PM

So I've got mousebaked.net registered, and I have an account at freedns.org for it, but unfortunately I forgot my log-in, so being able to actually configure my records is proving to be difficult. I don't really like freedns anyway.

I want to set up my BIND server to have records and just be able to maintain it that way, but I'm confused about a couple of things.

Can I make a record like "ns1.mousebaked.net" on one of my current nameservers, that points to the IP of my DNS server, which I could then place in my register's "Nameservers" section?

What is the deal with PTR registration? I know I can't really get it on a residential account, but do I need it for anything but MX or SMTP?

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
  • Best Poster [Programming] 2015
    Most Knowledgeable [Web Development/Programming] 2013
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2011
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 13 June 2009 - 12:55 AM

For low level, yeah, you can use your own machine. It can report correct address for sub-domains. But to force your primary domain address (mousebaked.net) to propagate, I'm pretty sure you still need some sort of a password. If you did not, it'd open huge security holes. Think of all the man-in-the-middle attacks you could pull if you can simply route connection through your own machines as if it was a gateway.

SagaciousKJB
  • SagaciousKJB

Captain tl;dr

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 14 June 2009 - 01:00 AM

QUOTE (K^2 @ Jun 12 2009, 17:55)
For low level, yeah, you can use your own machine. It can report correct address for sub-domains. But to force your primary domain address (mousebaked.net) to propagate, I'm pretty sure you still need some sort of a password. If you did not, it'd open huge security holes. Think of all the man-in-the-middle attacks you could pull if you can simply route connection through your own machines as if it was a gateway.

I'm not sure I know what you mean about needing a password. That is probably the part that is worked out with one's register in regards to PTR isn't it?

I might just try to find a better service than freedns.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users