223 replies to this topic
Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Sax & Violins

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 06 June 2009 - 12:39 PM Edited by ThePinkFloydSound, 10 February 2010 - 05:23 PM.

user posted image

Just reading about Heavy Rain on Wiki and a few other sites. Seems great to me as it's described by the director of the game as:

"a very dark film noir thriller with mature themes"

and supposedly without any supernatural elements. I really hate when I playing a game or watching a film that I don't know much about and I really enjoying it only to be dissapointed by some weird supernatural monsters or spirits coming in to play. Thank f*ck for a straight - up, thriller, with humans.

Pity it's a PS3 exclusive and I'm not particulary fond of that console (I used to love PS2) and wont be buying a PS3 any time soon me thinks. Least the game aint out for til next year!

Manwhile look at these vids.

Trailer

Gameplay

Gameplay

The gameplay seems to go on the gameplay simialar to that of the dancing or lowrider competitions in San Andreas. I don't know how much of the game play is actually free or if your are in one large 'cutsecene' tapping buttons to get yourself in your out of situations.

What do you guys think?

Snake Without a Tongue
  • Snake Without a Tongue

Franklin Shot Tupac

• Members

Posted 07 June 2009 - 03:39 PM

Is it just me or is the whole button pushing thing the most boring concept on earth? It's like watching a movie and pushing a button to progress.

This is definitely one I'm going to try to miss.

Maybe Alan Wake will be better.

JeNvEy
  • JeNvEy

Hustler

• Members

Posted 07 June 2009 - 03:50 PM

This does look amazing, i think its something like farenheit, same creators i think

AlianAnt
  • AlianAnt

For those about to rock!

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 07 June 2009 - 04:20 PM

Been looking around a lot about this game. While not much actual gameplay has been shown, what has has been quite disappointing compared to the amazing trailers shown back in the day. It's still a long way off, and it still has the chance to be a fantastic game, but I can't help but look at the extended push-button sequences and sigh. Apparently the character can die, even, during these sequences, and you can still find a way to beat the game. But next to stuff like InFamous, Uncharted, and Killzone 2, this game definitely looks like the weakest PS3 exclusive yet.

It looks like the strongest aspect of the game so far is definitely the story, though. If the game can develop a compelling narrative, I usually don't have problems looking past relatively mediocre gameplay. After the 8th hour of jumping sideways in Max Payne, it still wasn't old because of how powerful the story was, though the shooting mechanics in that game were amazing from the start. Heavy Rain may take the same approach.

Moth
  • Moth

Canis Canem Edit

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Canada

Posted 07 June 2009 - 04:29 PM

I doubt that i will buy this game at full price. The story looks good but the game play is meh. Too much quick time events and i am not a big fan of those since Mercs 2.

Machida
  • Machida

Send in the cows

• Members

Posted 08 June 2009 - 02:19 PM Edited by Machida, 08 June 2009 - 05:03 PM.

QUOTE (JeNvEy @ Jun 7 2009, 15:50)
This does look amazing, i think its something like farenheit, same creators i think

It is aye.
And if you've played that game there's not too much need for speculation regarding on how Heavy Rain is going to turn out. In some ways it's downsized a little from Fahrenheit. I don't think it going to take any longer that ten hours to complete, but there's enough ambition, which looks as if it's coming to fruition, and enough building on what made Fahrenheit so enjoyable to make this interesting.

The human element too is a welcome addition. If there was one niggle I had about Indigo Prophesy it was that it wondered a little too heavily in to the weird towards the end.

JeNvEy
  • JeNvEy

Hustler

• Members

Posted 08 June 2009 - 02:56 PM

QUOTE (Machida @ Jun 8 2009, 14:19)
QUOTE (JeNvEy @ Jun 7 2009, 15:50)

It is aye.
And if you've played that game there's not too much need for speculation regarding on how Heavy Rain is going to turn out. It some ways it's downsized a little from Fahrenheit. I don't think it going to take any longer that ten hours to complete, but there's enough ambition, which looks as if it's coming to fruition, and enough building on what made Fahrenheit so enjoyable to make this interesting.

The human element too is a welcome addition. If there was one niggle I had about Indigo Prophesy it was that it wondered a little too heavily in to the weird towards the end.

yeah i borrowed it off my mate and completed was a great game. I have to say also it was pretty weird towards the end, cant remember much of it now though. I think Heavy Rain will be longer considering ul be plaaying 4 characters.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:57 PM

The graphics engine looks amazing. The gameplay looks stupid. People hate quick time events, they always did. So making a quick time event game is not a good idea. They should have just made the movie if they think the story is that good. But lets not be too quick to judge. I'll wait for the final release to confirm that I was right.

deathdealer
  • deathdealer

soon to be dead

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 June 2009 - 11:16 PM

I wasn't a big fan with the whole button mashing thing in indigo prophecy but I sure did enjoy the story despite me getting confused at times. I might buy this when it gets knocked down to $50.

Mr.Ruthless
  • Mr.Ruthless

Comedian

• Members

Posted 09 June 2009 - 07:26 AM

I can't believe it's not on PC. It looks like my dream game. The cinematography looks fantastic.

DeeperRed
  • DeeperRed

Damn it feels good to be gangsta

• Zaibatsu

Posted 09 June 2009 - 04:39 PM

I really hope thats just like interactive cutscenes rather then the gameplay confused.gif

I am all for storys and Narrative in a game, but gameplay should always be centre of attention over everything. Farenhiet was a good game but it wasn't worth £40 at all. It gave you a bit of choice but it wasn't anything speicial.

The graphics are great aswell but it looks like the developers are tring to make an interactive film then a game. Thats all well and good but its certaintly not worth f*cking £40.

Mafia, Max Payne, GTA IV are just a few good examples of games that can have great gameplay and story. (GTAIV is not perfect as the gameplay wass toned down for stroy but it was still brilliant game )

Street Mix
  • Street Mix

Boss

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 19 August 2009 - 01:18 PM

New trailer from GamesCom - "Love":

http://www.joystiq.c...all-about-love/

Best Heavy Rain trailer IMO. smile.gif

chennaz321
  • chennaz321

Have you seen this man?

• Members

Posted 19 August 2009 - 02:12 PM

QUOTE (Street Mix @ Aug 19 2009, 13:18)
New trailer from GamesCom - "Love":

http://www.joystiq.c...all-about-love/

Best Heavy Rain trailer IMO. smile.gif

damn that has to be the best trailer i've seen. looks like the main story is going to be based around the man in that vid, with the police sections having the police hunting the origami killer. Having finished fahrenheit a few days ago and enjoying it immensely, i am guessing that it won't all just be mashing buttons as in fahrenheit you moved around, interacting with the enviroment and when the QTE's come on i find them quite enjoyable as your character corresponds to each segment of the qte you do so one little slip up can potentially change the outcome of the event, and at the same time, the story. so if anyone thinks that heavy rain will be all about mashing buttons, believe me, it won't be.

gta_king
  • gta_king

JCM

• Members

Posted 19 August 2009 - 02:45 PM

Generally what people tend to hate is unexpected QTEs like when you'll be sat back watching a cutscene and all of a sudden "PRESS X" will flash up unexpectedly causing you to die. When they're put in place properly and expected then it's not so bad. Resident Evil being a prime example of how they can be irritating, games like God Of War being an example of how they can be implemented well.

What I'm hoping for with Heavy Rain is more expansion on exploration and general adventure gaming, you go around talking to others, exploring scenes and more in the way of an inventory. QTEs for Cutscenes/Action sequences don't really bother me as they didn't with Fahrenheit because of the way they're implemented. It's a very good way of adding action sequences to adventure games such. I still remember the horrible fighting modes in the old Indiana Jones Point And Clicks.

Street Mix
  • Street Mix

Boss

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 20 August 2009 - 10:47 AM

2 new videos from IGN:
Save the Day
Robbery

JeNvEy
  • JeNvEy

Hustler

• Members

Posted 23 December 2009 - 03:19 PM

Its time to bring this topic back to life, cant believe this isnt being talked about on here, its coming out soon so come on ppl!

I wanted to talk about trophies, lets start off by saying is there any point? i heard that they are trying to do trophies differently by not hearing the 'Bing' noise and the trophy flashing up at a certain point so it doesnt spoil the atmosphere or whatever emotional scene is happening at a certain point. I thought that with Dead Space it kind of ruined the mood.

Its more of a interactive movie than a game i think so it will be interesting to see how they do the trophies.

Also there going to be a special edition which i would love to have but there not releasing it on play.com so thats a bumber

http://blog.eu.plays...al-edition-box/

Scroll down a bit and it gives u all the info about it. Anyway cant wait for this now! colgate.gif

ViceCity09
  • ViceCity09

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 23 December 2009 - 03:25 PM

Wow, is this really a game?

gta_king
  • gta_king

JCM

• Members

Posted 23 December 2009 - 04:29 PM

QUOTE (ViceCity09 @ Dec 23 2009, 16:25)

No its a Persian rug... sarcasm.gif

Ask a stupid question get a stupid answer. If you want a proper answer, yes it's a bloody game.

chennaz321
  • chennaz321

Have you seen this man?

• Members

Posted 23 December 2009 - 04:31 PM

QUOTE (ViceCity09 @ Dec 23 2009, 15:25)

If it's anything like Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy, I can guarantee it will qualify as a game

D1RTY®
  • D1RTY®

• D1RTY12
  • Saudi-Arabia

Posted 24 December 2009 - 09:33 AM

There's a new video here but I shall warn you that it contains nudity wow.gif . I wonder if I'm even allowed to post this in that case.

deathdealer
  • deathdealer

soon to be dead

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 December 2009 - 12:21 PM

eh, gameplay is gameplay. finally saw the robbery video, the graphics are awesome. almost looks like a real movie.

Bizzare
  • Bizzare

Men dont follow titles, they follow courage.

• Members

Posted 28 December 2009 - 03:32 PM

How pathetic is it that the DLC is probably one of the first parts of the game ever made. The first DLC planned is what was shown in a E3 demo 2 years ago. GTA's DLC I can understand, fully completed after release but this game and Assassins Creed take the f*cking biscuit. Taken out of the original game to add later at an extra cost...the most annoying thing is i'll probably end up buying it.

The N. Bellic Man
  • The N. Bellic Man

Crazy Idiot

• Members

Posted 28 December 2009 - 10:41 PM

I would really like to be able to play this game, but it ain't gonna happen any time soon since I don't have the money to buy another console. Too bad. I really hate this exclusive stuff. And I wasn't one of those pricks who bragged about how cool it is to play TLAD or TBoGT.

VCRules86
  • VCRules86

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 28 December 2009 - 11:42 PM

I agree. exclusives suck more than anything else in gaming

chennaz321
  • chennaz321

Have you seen this man?

• Members

Posted 29 December 2009 - 10:41 AM

QUOTE (VCRules86 @ Dec 28 2009, 23:42)
I agree. exclusives suck more than anything else in gaming

Jumping to the PS3 side here, I'd really like to be able to play some 360 games, like say Dead Rising, Although the second one is coming out multiformat so all is well.

Quadropheniac90
  • Quadropheniac90

Confused Clown

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 29 December 2009 - 11:59 AM

Exclusives will kill gaming I think. Companies with the biggest bags of money get the biggest game. I could live with temporary exclusives, but that's not the way it goes most of the times.

I'm looking forward to Conviction, but if they don't bring it to PS3 I'd be sorely disappointed in Ubisoft. (I own a 360)

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 29 December 2009 - 12:26 PM

QUOTE (teun.steenbekkers @ Dec 29 2009, 13:59)
Exclusives will kill gaming I think. Companies with the biggest bags of money get the biggest game. I could live with temporary exclusives, but that's not the way it goes most of the times.

I'm looking forward to Conviction, but if they don't bring it to PS3 I'd be sorely disappointed in Ubisoft. (I own a 360)

I don't understand why Ubisoft doesn't want to release Conviction on PS3 and why Bioware doesn't release Mass Effect 1 and 2 on PS3. I hate exclusives. But PC is by far the most neglected platform now. And there is no real excuse. For example games like Gears of War on 360 and God of War and MGS on PS3 can be even better on PC. Some developers don't care about quality of their products I guess. They're just in it for the money.

JeNvEy
  • JeNvEy

Hustler

• Members

Posted 29 December 2009 - 02:20 PM

I think that Microsoft obviously gave the creators of Gears Of War and Mass Effect alot of money to keep them franchises exclusive for Xbox, if they went over to PS3, Xbox 360 would be in trouble, thats from a buisness point of view. But exclusives like Uncharted, MGS, Heavy Rain and God Of War for PS3 is pretty simple really, they cant be done on Xbox. Bsically they cant fit on a Xbox disc.

Obviously other reasons for exclusives is because Sony and Microsoft companies make games and there obviously not going to make there multi platform. The only way exclusives would stop is if there just ended up being one console in the world which aint going to happen.

Back to Heavy Rain..........ummmm

Darrel
  • Darrel

Reported!

• Members

Posted 29 December 2009 - 04:51 PM

I've been following this game since that first trailer. And having played Indigo Prophecy, i know this is gonna be a cracker.

Rick88
  • Rick88

"Who is Atlas?"...

• Members

Posted 03 January 2010 - 11:25 AM

QUOTE (Darrel @ Dec 29 2009, 08:51)
I've been following this game since that first trailer. And having played Indigo Prophecy, i know this is gonna be a cracker.

Same here, I've been keeping my eye on this game for a while now and it looks bomb. Definitely on my list of games to get this year. icon14.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users