» «
Photo

The Official: Just Cause 2 Thread

810 replies to this topic
DemonKing
  • DemonKing

There's no love in your violence.

• Members

Posted 01 June 2009 - 08:58 PM Edited by DemonKing, 04 March 2010 - 01:18 PM.

user posted image

Just Cause 2, IS multiplatform, so it's coming to PS3, PC and 360.

Just Cause 2 is a sandbox style action video game currently under development by Swedish developer Avalanche Studios and published by Eidos Interactive currently set for a release in 2010. It is the sequel to the 2006 video game Just Cause.

Just Cause 2 uses a new version of the Avalanche Engine, Avalanche Engine 2.0; an updated version of the engine used in Just Cause. The game will be set on the other side of the world, compared to Just Cause, on the fictional tropical island of Panau in Southeast Asia. Rico Rodriguez will return as the protagonist, who has to overthrow the evil dictator Baby Panay and confront his former boss, Tom Sheldon.

The gameplay is much similar to that of its predecessor, in which the player is free to roam the game world at will without having to focus on the game's storyline, much similar to that of other sandbox style action games, like the Grand Theft Auto series of video games.

Several new additions and improvements to the game were explained by the lead designer of the game, Peter Johansson. The AI has been rewritten for Just Cause 2. It now uses a planning system which enables enemies to do all sorts of new things. For example, the enemies will use the environment to their advantage, taking cover behind objects and adapting dynamically to the objects around them. The hybrid aiming system is also a new feature that helps the player to quickly aim at enemies while leaving the player in full control over the crosshair, as such, the player is rewarded for skillful manual aiming. It also enables you to pinpoint specific limbs manually and have varied crippling effects on the enemy. Just Cause 2 also has an adaptive difficulty system, gradually scaling the difficulty as the player does more in the game.

The game takes place on the fictional island of Panau, situated in the Malay Archipelago. It is geographically similar to both New Zealand and Hawaii.

There are several new weapons in Just Cause 2, such as a Rocket Launcher with laser-controlled rockets, a one-handed grenade launcher, a remote triggered C4, and a detachable mounted minigun. There are several new vehicles added in Just Cause 2, including a Jumbo Jet. There is now a greater difference in the handling of different vehicles. Ground surfaces now have a large influence on the player's controls, so while a sports car may be suitable for driving on a flat road, it is not particularly suitable for off-road driving. There is also a real-time deform system and moving parts that can come loose from vehicles.

The player must acquire weapons and vehicles in the field of their own accord as Rico doesn't have official support from the agency in this game.

Early in the game the player contacts a black market supplier, from whom you can buy weapons and vehicles and get them delivered to the player's location via heavy drop. As the game progresses, additional weapons and vehicles become available on the black market. Additionally, all weapons and vehicles on the black market have parameters that can be upgraded in several steps, by building upgrades with weapon and vehicle parts. There are over 2,000 parts that the player can acquire.

Screens:

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Official Web Site

So yeah, did a search and no topics turned up so I decided to post this one.

And yeah the first one was mediocre, but this one looks like it's improved tenfold.

For one, the environments are varied now. We don't just have jungle, we got mountain tops, deserts, cities (improved one the old ones hopefully) and snowy areas. Also the graphics have improved a lot obviously. And they've put much more detail into the enviroment. Put in better enemy AI. A system similar to IV's where you shoot a certain part of someone's body and causes different actions. The grapple has been redone way better, so now you can you is to connect things etc.

Overall it looks much better.

So what's your opinion?

AndyGanteks
  • AndyGanteks

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica
  • Contribution Award [Sports]
    Most Skilled Player 2013
    Best Event 2013 "GTAF Gang League 2013"
    Most Valuable Player 2012
    Best Contributor [Multiplayer] 2012
    Most Valuable Player 2011
    Winner of World Cup 2010 Prediction League
    Best Event 2010 "GTAF Gang League 2010"
    Most Valuable Player 2010
    Best Team Player 2010

Posted 01 June 2009 - 09:00 PM

Badass video of it i watched, badass graphics.

I just hope the gameplay isnt buggy like in the first one.

oklp
  • oklp

۞

• Members

Posted 01 June 2009 - 09:05 PM

trailer makes it look like a film

btw that gamplay footage is just cause 1

DemonKing
  • DemonKing

• Members

Posted 01 June 2009 - 09:05 PM

QUOTE (AndySerb @ Jun 1 2009, 22:00)
I just hope the gameplay isnt buggy like in the first one.

More or less my hopes here as well. The first one was fun for a bit, but it wore thin after a while. It was just bland, they cities where bland and the jungle was bland. Also buggy like you mentioned.

I hope this one comes out right.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 01 June 2009 - 09:06 PM

Anything similar to Uncharted and GTA will be in my gaming catalog.
I think I read on this game a long time ago, as such, I'd need the magazine to remind me, but looks like it. I think it looks great too! Always a plus!!

Street Mix
  • Street Mix

Boss

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 01 June 2009 - 09:46 PM

Can't wait for this game. Original Just Cuse had loads of fun. Hope this one too.

BLlTZ
  • BLlTZ

Typical behaviour for someone with your condition.

• Members
  • None
  • Best Texture/Model 2013 "SRt3 2012 Mipmap Edition"

Posted 02 June 2009 - 07:30 AM

Is the single game that gives so many real and great effects ( clouds, smoke, water, colors of the clouds, sun, stars all of the sky, moving clouds, real explosions ) never seeing something like this before. I realy don't know what game has what Just Cuase series has.
Just Cause just amazed me how beautiful it is and with an great open-world. Sad that didn't have much future ( not so many cars, not so many main missions ) and the player was to small to the screen. Maybe this one will look much better. icon14.gif

Grand Theft Auto Dude
  • Grand Theft Auto Dude

• Members

Posted 02 June 2009 - 08:57 AM

'Only on Xbox 360'? When did this happen?

Dnero
  • Dnero

Top Dawg

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 02 June 2009 - 04:08 PM

QUOTE (Grand Theft Auto Dude @ Jun 2 2009, 08:57)

Where's the PS3 version?

I thought it was going to be multi platform... confused.gif

oklp
  • oklp

۞

• Members

Posted 02 June 2009 - 04:11 PM

QUOTE (DneroJohnson @ Jun 2 2009, 16:08)

Where's the PS3 version?

it is!! isent it???

PC and ps3 also??

Rebel
  • Rebel

Woop Woop!

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Olympics

Posted 02 June 2009 - 04:15 PM

Honestly the video posted bored the sh*t out of me. Who the f*ck wants to watch countless cars crash? I had the first game and probably played up until the 3rd or so mission and got very bored of it, just because of how badly the other main features lacked. Ended up trading it in, hopefully this one wont disappoint and has a lot of things that have been made better, like the driving and the lack of announcement of police and just general controls.

DemonKing
  • DemonKing

• Members

Posted 02 June 2009 - 04:36 PM

QUOTE (oklp @ Jun 2 2009, 17:11)

Where's the PS3 version?

it is!! isent it???

PC and ps3 also??

It is, I only just noticed that Only on 360 bit. Pay no attention to it. It is coming to PS3 and PC as well.

foohy
  • foohy

New username. Member since 11/30/'07.

• Members

Posted 03 June 2009 - 01:15 AM

QUOTE (oklp @ Jun 2 2009, 16:11)

Where's the PS3 version?

it is!! isent it???

PC and ps3 also??

I actually got in a long edit war on wikipedia over that boxart. It IS fake and I got it removed from not only wikipedia but amazon and gamespot aswell. As it says under the box up there it is fanmade. It says that it's 'Only on xbox' aswell as 'xbox live' both of which are confirmed to be false. So YES it IS on Playstation 3!!!

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 05 June 2009 - 08:36 AM Edited by Slamman, 05 June 2009 - 08:54 AM.

At the gamestores today (last night, actually) and I think I MAY have confused it with Far Cry 2, at the time, I was looking at a PS3 OPM article on upcoming games, that one was the week of GTA4's release, so that WAS some time ago, GT was being discussed and that's still not out.

Mixed reviews on that FIRST one, now I don't know if I should bother picking it up, although it sounds up my alley. Some are bored with GTA4,... How that can be, I dunno.

How does Far Cry stand up as a game, against it?

PacMaan
  • PacMaan

LIES

• Members

Posted 05 June 2009 - 11:02 AM

QUOTE (Slamman @ Jun 5 2009, 08:36)
At the gamestores today (last night, actually) and I think I MAY have confused it with Far Cry 2, at the time, I was looking at a PS3 OPM article on upcoming games, that one was the week of GTA4's release, so that WAS some time ago, GT was being discussed and that's still not out.

Mixed reviews on that FIRST one, now I don't know if I should bother picking it up, although it sounds up my alley. Some are bored with GTA4,... How that can be, I dunno.

How does Far Cry stand up as a game, against it?

You can't compare them - they're completely different types of game.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 05 June 2009 - 11:31 AM

Real world, nice environments, the gameplay and FPS or TPS differ, sure. BUT the reality based games are my cup of tea, just thinking there's enough there to make me add them to my library. I just want some idea which one I should try first.

Vanillainy
  • Vanillainy

Fancy Clown.

• Zaibatsu

Posted 05 June 2009 - 08:48 PM

That video in first post isn't Just Cause 2 btw, it's the first.

BUT THIS f*ckING IS. Graphics look awesome and gameplay looks fun. What more do you want?

linkymclink

BLlTZ
  • BLlTZ

Typical behaviour for someone with your condition.

• Members
  • None
  • Best Texture/Model 2013 "SRt3 2012 Mipmap Edition"

Posted 05 June 2009 - 09:01 PM

QUOTE (FunkyChunky @ Jun 5 2009, 20:48)

BUT THIS f*ckING IS. Graphics look awesome and gameplay looks fun. What more do you want?

linkymclink

Correct icon14.gif
What do you need more than what is showing from the video. In the way I see it, it has Crysis series water effect and colors. And is somehow looking like Crysis.
And what great future it has. Finally I see the character much closer to the screen. In Just Cause he was to small, and the people too. biggrin.gif

OabAli
  • OabAli

Apesh*t

• Members

Posted 05 June 2009 - 09:22 PM

This game really does look great. Has a lot of potential.

Just hoping it isn't as frustrating as the first; I don't know about the console versions of Just Cause 1, but controlling the cars and motorcycles in the PC version was just plain irritating.

DemonKing
  • DemonKing

• Members

Posted 05 June 2009 - 09:50 PM Edited by DemonKing, 05 June 2009 - 10:16 PM.

QUOTE (FunkyChunky @ Jun 5 2009, 21:48)

linkymclink

Cheers man. I noticed that the graphics looked off. I though it was just due to the sh*tty vid quality and thanks for the linkup.

bobgtafan
  • bobgtafan

The last thing you never see

• Members

Posted 05 June 2009 - 09:55 PM

The first one was too cartoonly with the graphics

DemonKing
  • DemonKing

• Members

Posted 05 June 2009 - 10:04 PM

QUOTE (bobgtafan @ Jun 5 2009, 22:55)
The first one was too cartoonly with the graphics

Uh.

Sorry but that doesn't really make a lot of sense.

For a PS2 game, Just Cause had some pretty decent graphics. I can't see how they are more cartoony than any other PS2 game out there.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 05 June 2009 - 11:33 PM

Some argue cartoony a fault with GTA, and with GTA3 it is to some extent, but there's also something of a balance. I love graphically splendid games, I took commercial art and drawing in school.

JostVice
  • JostVice

realtime, not prerendered

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 05 June 2009 - 11:42 PM

The only things I hated from the first just cause were the handling of vehicles and how the map buildings looked like 'dropped' over the terrain, with weird looking road/city puzzles and repeating bridges and all. Hopefully this won't happen.

The trailer looks nice and the new hook looks easy smile.gif

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 05 June 2009 - 11:51 PM

Game design can ruin a great concept and premise. Some are badly controlled of course.

A real shame when that wrecks a promising game, however, with sequals, unlike cinema, most new games on new systems totally eclipse their prior brethran

Rebel
  • Rebel

Woop Woop!

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Olympics

Posted 06 June 2009 - 12:07 AM

Looks a sh*t load better than the first video posted, I knew something wasn't right about it. Have to say after watching this one it looks interesting especially with the new parachute and the grapple hook that can grapple ANYTHING. Hope to see more interesting stuff to persuade me into buying it.

Blackadder.
  • Blackadder.

Luck. Runs. Out.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 09 June 2009 - 11:16 AM

Not sure if it's been posted yet, but here is a Developer Walkthrough.

Shows some new stuff, the new on-top-of-the-vehicle system, new grapple hook, new parachute. It's looking fantastic. I really like how you can duck and weave to avoid fire whilst on a car. And Yahtzee's friend Quicktime Events make a short appearance!

Will definately be getting this, looks superb.

SaintJimmy
  • SaintJimmy

On a drug called Martin Sheen

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 09 June 2009 - 11:27 AM

Man, I hated alot of stuff in Just Cause.
The driving sucked. Alot.
The textures were terrible!
The controls just...god, the controls.
The missions were repetitive.
Everybody died the same way, animations were sh*t.

But to this day, I put it in my computer and go for a nice fly in a plane. That game had the best (also best looking) weather system I'd ever seen in a game.

I just hope for better missions, more fluid movements/animations/controls...and better driving. Can't wait!

(Some customization wouldn't go astray either!)

The Horror Is Alive
  • The Horror Is Alive

Monkey-fighting snakes on this Monday to Friday plane.

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 June 2009 - 12:36 PM

I'm actually still playing Just Cause. I just love how big the island is (1,025km square, the box says). I love the stunts, how you can just grapple onto a chopper from the ground, and jack it in midair for a quick trip somewhere.

I'm getting through all the liberations, cause I've finished all the missions. My only problem is the physics. They kinda suck, but the graphics and fun make up for it. The HDR is beautiful.

Snake Without a Tongue
  • Snake Without a Tongue

Franklin Shot Tupac

• Members

Posted 18 September 2009 - 03:11 PM

Bump. It looks a lot better than that abortion of a game Mercemaries 2.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users