Money, Money, Money

50 replies to this topic
Omnia sunt Communia
  • Omnia sunt Communia

Tierra Y Libertad

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:56 AM

I know a lot of people who goto college and university and aspire to join a high-paying profession and live the high life. These people spend thousands of pounds/dollars on chasing the dream and luckily enough; most of them achieve that dream.

Though how important is it really to have a high-paying job?

I'd be quite contempt in a low-paying job, as long as I have enough to get by. I don't ask for much in terms of material wealth and most of the money I do spend goes on Friday & Saturday Nights out with my friends. I prefer jumping ship between jobs every couple of months because it's so much more interesting then sticking with a career.

Now some people might consider this 'foolish' and 'umabitious', but is it really? Just because I'm not too fussed about earning a lot of money as soon as possible does that somehow make me wrong? Should the fact that I don't make as much money as some person stuck in a dead-end job writing reports for 9am in his backgarden while his kids are playing, be considered foolish?

How much value do you put on money? Is it just a tool to help you get through life, or should we all aspire to make as much of it as possible, as soon as possible?

fuckindumass
  • fuckindumass

Pissing the night away

• Members

Posted 28 May 2009 - 08:14 AM

QUOTE (Jacky Fiend @ May 28 2009, 02:56)
tl;dr

Money is what you make of it. I know people who are rich because they on't spend, and I know rich people in financial arrears because they re insatiable. I know poor people who have nothing but a smile that never fades. Money is a tool, few know how to use. Money is easily obtained, yet some struggle to get some. Money, get back.
I'm all right jack keep your hands off of my stack.
Money, its a hit.
Dont give me that do goody good bullsh*t.
Im in the high-fidelity first class traveling set
And I think I need a lear jet.

Money, its a crime.
Share it fairly but dont take a slice of my pie.
Money, so they say
Is the root of all evil today.
But if you ask for a raise its no surprise that theyre
Giving none away.

Huhuh! I was in the right!
Yes, absolutely in the right!
I certainly was in the right!
You was definitely in the right. that geezer was cruising for a
Bruising!
Yeah!
Why does anyone do anything?
I dont know, I was really drunk at the time!
I was just telling him, he couldnt get into number 2. he was asking
Why he wasnt coming up on freely, after I was yelling and
Screaming and telling him why he wasnt coming up on freely.
It came as a heavy blow, but we sorted the matter out
tounge2.gif

!!GC!!
  • !!GC!!

-Street Racer-

• Members

Posted 28 May 2009 - 08:15 AM

I dont think that it is important, or absolutely necessary to earn a lot of money, but for the things i want, i'd prefer a high paying job rather than a low.
Fortunately, the job im aiming at is reasonably well paid.

Of course, other people can, and will, have different views. It just depends on what you want to do in life or what you want to have.
I think it is perfectly fine to not want/have as much money as others.

FullMetal
  • FullMetal

Non-Retard

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 28 May 2009 - 08:17 AM

Money comes in REALLY HANDY and helps you with alot of stuff (healthcare? housing?...).

But it's not that I dream to have a 'doctor/lawyer' like job that generates a never ending cashflow. Far from... I just like to be happy, earn enough to live life properly (my own house, car, be able to afford some luxuries now and then...

Heck, I go to University at the moment but I seem to fail at it (first year + history not what you expected from it + no idea whatsoever what you really want to study).

And in my opinion it's not about a 'high paying job' it's about having a 'fun' job that earns 'decently'.

Quadropheniac90
  • Quadropheniac90

Confused Clown

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 28 May 2009 - 08:24 AM

Money is a tool which provides in the necessary (and sometimes not so necessary) needs of life. Food, housing, etc.

People who are rich as f*ck, or at least some of them, forget money is just that, money, not the most important thing in the world.

My 2 cents...

Mav.
  • Mav.

Ghetto Star

• The Connection

Posted 28 May 2009 - 08:54 AM

Money is everything. Simple as that.

How important is it to me? Very.

I'm not gonna lie and say 'I just want the necessities, no need for material things'. Because in all honesty, I want those material things. That's what makes me happy.

Sure you can be happy poor, though I don't really see how. You'll be much happier and better off rich.

So once again, money is EVERYTHING in this world. The single most powerful thing in society.

unopieceo
  • unopieceo

Turdler Durpden

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mods]
    Best Vehicle 2012 [HD GTA Cars]

Posted 28 May 2009 - 09:19 AM

Materialistic people are usually covering up their unhappiness or insecurity with useless crap, and most of the time they don't even know it.

Furious Mermaid
  • Furious Mermaid

Get me another beer!

• Members

Posted 28 May 2009 - 09:26 AM

Yeah I'm paying sh*tloads of money for uni & crap-all.
It's supposed to pay off after graduation.
But with this gloomy economic climate & all the talk about recessions,
a high income job's going to be a long way away!

Eventually things will get steady again.
Money's important I suppose.
I only want heaps purely for security.
Is it so bad to want a mortgage free house & lots of left overs to
go on holidays with the future hypothetical family?

Hell No..
  • Hell No..

Dad.

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Wales

Posted 28 May 2009 - 09:38 AM

Means alot to me at the moment. Even though I have none. I'm well in the sh*t right now that its unreal.

I lost my Job, my Car then broke down, so I had to get the old man to pay the repairs, then my Insurance was due, which I could not pay, so now , it's been off the road for about 2 Months. My Phone bill came through, couldn't pay that, so I've been cut off. And to top it off, I'm getting things through from the Tax people saying I owe them money.

So, no Money, No Car, No Phone...I'm basically being cut of totally. I guess it's a good thing that I have the likes of Facebook if I need to get hold of friends.

------

Quite different from a few months ago where it wouldn't matter so much if I spent a sum of money in 1 go for something.

Mafia Righthand_Man
  • Mafia Righthand_Man

Shuffle off.

• Members

Posted 28 May 2009 - 09:49 AM

My goal is to make enough money so I don't have to worry about money.

Omnia sunt Communia
  • Omnia sunt Communia

Tierra Y Libertad

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 May 2009 - 10:33 AM

QUOTE (Maverick. @ May 28 2009, 09:54)
Sure you can be happy poor, though I don't really see how. You'll be much happier and better off rich.

Because some people are happy without materialistic possessions? There is more too life than just owning a lot of 'stuff.' That's one of the points I'm trying to make. People seem to think that the more stuff you have, the more important, or the more well off you are. That's not true.

Happiness comes from more than physical possessions. Family, friends, peace of mind, love, security; all those things can lead to happiness and they don't need to be bought to exist.

Furious Mermaid
  • Furious Mermaid

Get me another beer!

• Members

Posted 28 May 2009 - 10:50 AM

QUOTE (Jacky Fiend @ May 28 2009, 22:33)

Happiness comes from more than physical possessions. Family, friends, peace of mind, love, security; all those things can lead to happiness and they don't need to be bought to exist.

icon14.gif

I want just enough money to live comfortably
with all those things you've mentioned.

Mav.
  • Mav.

Ghetto Star

• The Connection

Posted 28 May 2009 - 11:22 AM

QUOTE (Jacky Fiend @ May 28 2009, 21:33)

Because some people are happy without materialistic possessions? There is more too life than just owning a lot of 'stuff.' That's one of the points I'm trying to make. People seem to think that the more stuff you have, the more important, or the more well off you are. That's not true.

Yeah but you can also have all that being rich? So your argument is flawed.

What I'm saying is that life is far better if you have money. Family and friends can exist if you're rich. So wouldn't you rather have both? It's not like you have to choose one or the other.

And you are clearly lying if you say possessions count for nothing.

@OnePiece - Less fortunate people usually cover us their impoverishment by acting as though they're happy being poor. Well guess what, no-one is happy being poor. It is always going to cause problems.

Damo.
  • Damo.

Gangsta

• Awaiting Authorization

Posted 28 May 2009 - 11:34 AM

To be honest, I'd rather work in a place I like that has low pay than a place I hate that pays very well. Even if you're earning a lot of money, being stuck in a place you don't like isn't going to bring you happiness, and I feel if you study something you don't even have an interest in just so you can get a high-paying job, you're doing it for all the wrong reasons.

nerner
  • nerner

OG

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 May 2009 - 11:35 AM

¿Dinero o felicidad, cuál es más importante?

Just thought I would share my wisdom. biggrin.gif
I would rather be poor and happy than rich and sad. Obviously.

unopieceo
  • unopieceo

Turdler Durpden

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 28 May 2009 - 12:14 PM

QUOTE (Maverick. @ May 28 2009, 21:22)
@OnePiece - Less fortunate people usually cover us their impoverishment by acting as though they're happy being poor. Well guess what, no-one is happy being poor. It is always going to cause problems.

Yes, being poor sucks, not having enough money for food or to have a place to live is never fun, but a lot of people can live comfortably and happily without a 3 car garage and a giant flat screen TV. Money is a necessity, but it isnt going to buy you happiness.

FullMetal
  • FullMetal

Non-Retard

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 28 May 2009 - 12:40 PM

QUOTE (OnePiece @ May 28 2009, 13:14)
QUOTE (Maverick. @ May 28 2009, 21:22)

Yes, being poor sucks, not having enough money for food or to have a place to live is never fun, but a lot of people can live comfortably and happily without a 3 car garage and a giant flat screen TV. Money is a necessity, but it isnt going to buy you happiness.

And there are enough people who are extremely happy even though they don't have alot of money. Being rich, with sh*tlaods of money doesn't necessarily mean you are happy.

Life gets EASIER if you are 'rich'. As I said before, you have less to no worries of getting sick/losing your job/...

But eventhough money makes life easier... does it make you happy? In fact: money is just the value you give to it. If you get happy from having alot of money it means you care alot about money. And money is in fact just a 'tool' made up by human beings to replace trade. In fact, money is useless. Again: it's just WE, human beings, who give it 'some' value.

Yes, gold standards and all of that... but still in the end of the day it's us who give money a value. To be honest, you must be rather sad to think that money is everything in the world.

It's important and makes life easier... but it's not the most important thing. Sadly SOCIETY thinks like that and ALOT OF PEOPLE think that way. But (to me) it's not the most important thing.

DeeperRed
  • DeeperRed

Damn it feels good to be gangsta

• Zaibatsu

Posted 28 May 2009 - 12:58 PM

Well people say money doesn't buy you happiness, honestly if I had enough money to buy a private jet I would be pretty darn happy.
Also I wouldn't be happy living in a council house confused.gif So money can make you HAPPIER. But if your depressed because, your girlfirend has left you then no money isn't going to make you happy. if your depressed because yo lost your job and your on the poverty line then money is going to make you happy. Though it could be short or long term.

I have very fortunatly been brought up in a wealthy family but when I was younger my parents split up. Now my mom is unemployeed and our house is half finished as she can not afford the rest right now but my Dad is wealthy so its uite strange when I go back and forth. Luckly my Dad pays for all my clothes, school fees etc

Oxidizer
  • Oxidizer

• The Connection

Posted 28 May 2009 - 01:17 PM

Money is my god.

Except I save rather than spent it for security purposes.

The Unvirginiser
  • The Unvirginiser

You ain't gettin' your tings?!

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 28 May 2009 - 01:17 PM

It's what makes the world go round. Most of mankind is driven by aquiring wealth, that's why we have electricity, water, power, shelter and food. I still maintain that it's the root of all evil, well... most evil. It does mean a lot to me, but I never let it rule me. I can lose £30 on anything and not be bothered, or lend people money and never ask for it back. A career that's enjoyable is more important than one that'll get me super-rich.

Warlord.
  • Warlord.

anti-pasto

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Australia

Posted 28 May 2009 - 01:28 PM

Means everything to me. NOTHING is more important to me than making money (not love, kids or any of that stuff).

Jack_Knife
  • Jack_Knife

we usually take all niggas garments

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 28 May 2009 - 01:36 PM

I'm pretty sure anyone you ask will tell you "blah blah, money can't buy happiness, it isn't everything, blah blah" but then the vast majority of those people will care REALLY HARD about money.

I genuinely don't give a f*ck and think money shouldn't even exist.

Also, to the dude two posts above me, water, food and shelter (all the things required to live!) can be gotten quite free. Like they were before money existed.

Omnia sunt Communia
  • Omnia sunt Communia

Tierra Y Libertad

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 May 2009 - 02:28 PM Edited by Jacky Fiend, 28 May 2009 - 02:30 PM.

QUOTE (Maverick. @ May 28 2009, 12:22)
Yeah but you can also have all that being rich? So your argument is flawed.

What I'm saying is that life is far better if you have money. Family and friends can exist if you're rich. So wouldn't you rather have both? It's not like you have to choose one or the other.

And you are clearly lying if you say possessions count for nothing.

They can exist whether or not you are rich or poor, making your argument flawed too. You can have those things and be happy whether you make £1,800 a week or £18 a week. Those things don't require money.

I'm honestly not fussed. Nice things may be nice, but once you have them, then they're nothing. People spend all this time dreaming to have the fastest car and the biggest house but when you actually get them; then what? You find out that it's just another possession to add to your list of objects that does nothing but drain your well-spent time.

I think they do. That's my opinion. I think I could be happy without half of the stuff I currently own. Regardless of whether I have high-end equipment, designer clothes (something I don't even have) or anything else. There are a lot more important things to me than owning stuff.

I've said this before but if I won the lottery I wouldn't be one of those people who goes out and buys everything money can buy. Half of my money would probably goto charity or to those around me; since I honestly don't know what I'd do with all that money. I would grow tired of it after a while. I would keep enough to let me live comfortably; but I would never goto excess.

But eventhough money makes life easier... does it make you happy? In fact: money is just the value you give to it. If you get happy from having alot of money it means you care alot about money. And money is in fact just a 'tool' made up by human beings to replace trade. In fact, money is useless. Again: it's just WE, human beings, who give it 'some' value.

Exactly!

When do we actually see this so-called "money"? The only things we see are coins and notes, and at the end of the day that is all money is. It's a system by which we can trade goods for something that has no trade value.

chris
  • chris

Everton FC

• The Connection

Posted 28 May 2009 - 04:12 PM

I wish i was rich all the time, mostly cause cars are my passion and they are f*cking expensive.

Superb
  • Superb

Trick

• Members

Posted 28 May 2009 - 04:16 PM

Money means a lot, especially if you lack money, you wish you had more.

I guess there are more important things in life but it's still important.

General Goose
  • General Goose

Because Jeb Bush is all in my house with disease.

• Members

Posted 28 May 2009 - 04:19 PM

I'd want a well paying job, but job happiness overtakes money the moment I have enough to get by. I wouldn't get a job I hate, even if it pays much better then a job I love.

Bartleby
  • Bartleby

Current Mentos Freshness: 65%

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 28 May 2009 - 04:21 PM

How much does it matter?

user posted image

Everyone's got a price. Everyone's gonna pay. Cause the Million Dollar Man always gets his way.

FullMetal
  • FullMetal

Non-Retard

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 28 May 2009 - 04:24 PM

QUOTE (Jacky Fiend @ May 28 2009, 15:28)

Exactly!

When do we actually see this so-called "money"? The only things we see are coins and notes, and at the end of the day that is all money is. It's a system by which we can trade goods for something that has no trade value.

True, good to see someone following my thoughts. Shamefully money is needed in our society and you can't live without it. Though, it's not vital to be happy.

uNi
  • uNi

Feroci

• Administrator
  • Scotland
  • Best Official Gang 2014 [Feroci]

Posted 28 May 2009 - 04:24 PM

It does matter a lot, it's not something I care in a way that I love money, it's just that I need it for pretty much everything these days, and a lot of it.

unopieceo
  • unopieceo

Turdler Durpden

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 28 May 2009 - 04:35 PM

To quote penn & teller
"The good feeling doesn't last. We get used to having a Mercedes. Its spectacular, its better than sex the first week, its better than a meal at a great restaurant the second week, its pretty damn good the third week and after that its just your car."

The novelty of having what you want wears off rather quickly.
Chasing what you want is the real fun part of life.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users