Quantcast

» «
Photo

Grand Theft Auto IV: The Ballad of Gay Tony!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
144 replies to this topic
GTA3Freak-2001
  • GTA3Freak-2001

Run out of Cake.

• Members

Posted 27 May 2009 - 06:43 AM

I had my topic locking kit out and ready! I am quite amazed its really called this, sure Rockstar are controversial with things and seem to always do something new or crazy but usually it stayed within the game not spilling out into the actual title.

It is good to see that it(and TLAD) will be released on Disc at the same and not say 6 months down the track like most similar games, its not just great for Arcade 360 owners but for Pro guys who only have a puny 20GB HDD that is already filled with TLAD and various other stuff like myself.

Grand Theft Auto Dude
  • Grand Theft Auto Dude

• Members

Posted 27 May 2009 - 07:00 AM

Just saw this on Kotaku. That is one seriously bad name.

Not the 'gay' part, but just 'The Ballad of'. The Lost and Damned had an awesome name, but this one is lame. Why wasn't GTA IV called 'The Ballad of Roman'? Since the new expansion is focused on the nightlife of LC, why not call it something like 'Night in Liberty'?

Naming the game after one of the characters is very strange, and I'm guessing that Rockstar did it just to create controversy because it has 'Gay' in it.

lord sh...t-head
  • lord sh...t-head

Lord

• Members

Posted 27 May 2009 - 07:03 AM Edited by lord sh...t-head, 27 May 2009 - 07:06 AM.

QUOTE (Grand Theft Auto Dude @ May 27 2009, 07:00)

The Lost and Damned had an awesome name, but this one is lame. Why wasn't GTA IV called 'The Ballad of Roman'? Since the new expansion is focused on the nightlife of LC, why not call it something like 'Night in Liberty'?

icon14.gif icon14.gif icon14.gif icon14.gif icon14.gif icon14.gif icon14.gif icon14.gif icon14.gif icon14.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif

The game is gonna be awsome (probably,can't judge it is too early)
BUT what is up with the title?

Tubbs
  • Tubbs

Weapon of Mass Distraction

• Members

Posted 27 May 2009 - 07:22 AM

I get what Rockstar's doing with the title. Just look at that colorful logo, it's supposed to be a tacky, humorous name.

lord sh...t-head
  • lord sh...t-head

Lord

• Members

Posted 27 May 2009 - 07:56 AM

QUOTE (Tubbs @ May 27 2009, 07:22)
I get what Rockstar's doing with the title. Just look at that colorful logo, it's supposed to be a tacky, humorous name.

I agree with you.
But image the people that will take the title wrong.
Personaly i was like wow.gif mercie_blink.gif mad.gif suicidal.gif lol.gif suicidal.gif lol.gif suicidal.gif lol.gif

yeah somthing like that...

FullMetal
  • FullMetal

Non-Retard

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:21 AM

Since when does GAY always imply being a 'homosexual'? 'Gay Tony' might be just very happy ... :]

emufan
  • emufan

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:35 AM

I like the logo...It has something Vice City-esque over it.

John The Grudge
  • John The Grudge

Gangsta

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:35 AM

So simply saying the word 'gay' is controversial now is it? The title is fine.

GTA3Freak-2001
  • GTA3Freak-2001

Run out of Cake.

• Members

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:21 AM

QUOTE (fullmetal @ May 27 2009, 18:51)
Since when does GAY always imply being a 'homosexual'? 'Gay Tony' might be just very happy ... :]

Well that's just it, it has that double meaning thing going something R* picked the title for I am sure.

In_da_Houser=-420*
  • In_da_Houser=-420*

-=The Haunted=-

• Members

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:47 AM

Sick of this. I have bought the PS3 and PC versions or a PS3 version and a beer coaster. But noooo i have to buy an 360 aswell and then buy IV then buy the DLC to get some new material. This makes an huge R* fan cry suicidal.gif

John The Grudge
  • John The Grudge

Gangsta

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:49 AM

QUOTE (In_da_Houser=-420* @ May 27 2009, 09:47)
Sick of this. I have bought the PS3 and PC versions or a PS3 version and a beer coaster. But noooo i have to buy an 360 aswell and then buy IV then buy the DLC to get some new material. This makes an huge R* fan cry suicidal.gif

It was made clear before GTAIV was even released that the two episodes would be exclusive to the XBox 360.

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• Members

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:51 AM

It just sounds totally wrong. Is it set in the 1890s? If it`s about glitz, glamour and gayness there`s loads of different titles they could have used to convey that AND include the word `gay`. It`s `The Ballad of..`, it`s old fashioned.

Gay today doesn`t even have the same connotations it had even five years ago:
"Do you like carrots?"
"No"
"Why not?"
"They`re gay"
Rockstar is really barking up the wrong tree here. It`s about as controversial as apple pie.
It`s probably gonna be a great game full of great stuff, but the title says to me a travelling minstrel from the middle-ages, with a lute, will butt in after every mission to sing a little commentary to the tune of Greensleeves

Astrixone
  • Astrixone

Hustler

• Members

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:02 AM

I Cant belive this sh*t!
Why XBOX360 only?
At least give us the lost and damned!

I hate this company even GTA IV rocks!

At the start i read the name of the game like this: "The Balled Off Gay Tony"
I thought, well i dont need this for pc now XD

El Zilcho
  • El Zilcho

Virtuoso

• The Connection
  • European-Union

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:05 AM

QUOTE (Astrixone @ May 27 2009, 10:02)
I Cant belive this sh*t!
Why XBOX360 only?

It's been known for ages. Why not rant and rave about it to a brick wall? Because you're not going t0o get it, it's exclusive and no amount of curse words is going to change that. Just chill out and stay speculative, no need to curse the gods or whatever.

Enjoii
  • Enjoii

Ace

• Members
  • England
  • Best New Member 2009
    Most Helpful GTA Series 2009

Posted 27 May 2009 - 12:34 PM

QUOTE (Astrixone @ May 27 2009, 11:02)
I Cant belive this sh*t!
Why XBOX360 only?

This is the second exclusive episodic content pack (the Lost and Damned being the first), which are exclusive to the Xbox 360.
As for the Lost and Damned, that is also just a fan-made rumour which Microsoft denied.

AlexDeLargre
  • AlexDeLargre

AoD Road Captain

• Members

Posted 27 May 2009 - 12:57 PM

CANT WAIT biggrin.gif

masser120
  • masser120

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 27 May 2009 - 01:58 PM

I'm absolutely positive that Rockstar would have released it on PC and PS3 as well if they weren't stuck to that contract with M$

foohy
  • foohy

New username. Member since 11/30/'07.

• Members

Posted 27 May 2009 - 05:07 PM

QUOTE (masser120 @ May 27 2009, 13:58)
I'm absolutely positive that Rockstar would have released it on PC and PS3 as well if they weren't stuck to that contract with M$

"It's a bird!"

"No, it's a plane!!"

"NO! It's...CAPTAIN OBVIOUS!!!" sarcasm.gif suicidal.gif

gamesguru
  • gamesguru

I'm Just Sittin' Here...

• Angels of Death MC
  • England
  • Best Writer 2010

Posted 27 May 2009 - 05:21 PM

Maybe Rockstar approached Sony and Microsoft over the DLC, to see if they wanted to bid for exclusivity rights. Obviously you know what happens next, but that is a possible outcome. Maybe many of you should be complaining to Sony and not Rockstar Games and Microsoft for not bidding for the rights themselves.

It is also been highlighted (and the more likely truth) that Rockstar Games probably didn't plan to do DLC until Microsoft offered to pay for it's production; under the obvious contract that it was exclusive for their platform. So people need to stop complaining about unfairness and hatred towards the latter companies. Because either way, it's rightfully Microsoft's product.

Without Microsoft, there probably wouldn't be a DLC at all. It's not stuff being cut out of the game and then denied to the PS3/PC gaming population, but bonuses courtesy of Microsoft. I don't think many people have complained so much (put together) about the same situation in regards to over [game's] DLCs. But when it comes to the case of GTA IV, R* and MS turn into your sworn enemies.

It just a game. Stop cherishing it as much as you do and get over it. You can't play the DLC, it's hardly the end of the world (global warming has that task). Although that's not to say that I wouldn't like to see it on other platforms, because I would, I really would.

OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

You need a Pearl necklace? Hit me up ;)

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 27 May 2009 - 05:57 PM

Seriously This is a funny joke from Rockstar gotta be.

liquidus119
  • liquidus119

King of Kings

• Members

Posted 27 May 2009 - 05:59 PM

I think people really need to stop complaining about this being Xbox 360 only. It was known that GTA IV would get downloadable expansion packs and that they would be exclusive to 360 long before the game came out. Hell, I'm pretty sure that this was known a year before the first trailer even came out...

If you really never read anything about it, then I have to ask if you really cared in the first place.

ChrisAndy
  • ChrisAndy

Playa

• Members

Posted 27 May 2009 - 06:04 PM

QUOTE (gamesguru @ May 27 2009, 17:21)
Maybe Rockstar approached Sony and Microsoft over the DLC, to see if they wanted to bid for exclusivity rights. Obviously you know what happens next, but that is a possible outcome. Maybe many of you should be complaining to Sony and not Rockstar Games and Microsoft for not bidding for the rights themselves.

It is also been highlighted (and the more likely truth) that Rockstar Games probably didn't plan to do DLC until Microsoft offered to pay for it's production; under the obvious contract that it was exclusive for their platform. So people need to stop complaining about unfairness and hatred towards the latter companies. Because either way, it's rightfully Microsoft's product.

Without Microsoft, there probably wouldn't be a DLC at all. It's not stuff being cut out of the game and then denied to the PS3/PC gaming population, but bonuses courtesy of Microsoft. I don't think many people have complained so much (put together) about the same situation in regards to over [game's] DLCs. But when it comes to the case of GTA IV, R* and MS turn into your sworn enemies.

It just a game. Stop cherishing it as much as you do and get over it. You can't play the DLC, it's hardly the end of the world (global warming has that task). Although that's not to say that I wouldn't like to see it on other platforms, because I would, I really would.

Regardless if who convinced who to do what R* has followed up with the idea of DLC with their Midnight L.A. franchise. GTA IV's main story felt much shorter and much more sparse than previous entities, leading me to conclude that original content was removed in some fashion. The addition of multiplayer also probably had something to do with this. DLC, at the end of the day, has to come from somewhere. I don't consider it a bonus when the game has been shortened and players are asked to spend $20+ on top of an already expensive $65 to enjoy a small 6 hours more of gameplay. The problem with DLC is that gamers get screwed because companies can just charge for add-ons that should have not been add-ons in the first place.

GuruAskew
  • GuruAskew

Thug

• Members

Posted 27 May 2009 - 06:08 PM

It's funny, people can go on and on about how GTAIV "seemed" shorter but everyone who has actually played the game to completion knows it's in-line with the longer entries in the series.

Assuming "TBoGT" is as long as "TLaD" you can count on all 3 games totalling 100 hours for 300% completion (60 hours for GTAIV, 20 per each DLC) and "San Andreas" was definitely in the 60 hour range so what you have is the "bare-bones" GTA having a length comparable to "San Andreas" and having this length significantly expanded by the two DLC episodes.

So yeah, whether you're getting "only" 60 hours or the full 100 you're still not getting a "short" GTA game by any stretch of the imagination.

DANNYT07
  • DANNYT07

Bring back the Tampa ;)

• Members

Posted 27 May 2009 - 06:11 PM

I for one carnt wait for rich coke heads with too much money i am going to punch them in the face and run off with there limited edition cheetah and cry out "f*ck you i'm rich" lol.

but really its sound cool night life with a retro 80s edge and lots of fast cars for me to steel and stunt with while listing to stealers wheels.
guys its going to be great as long as they dont screw up the next free mode its all good in the prevurbial hood kk.
cool.gif

gamesguru
  • gamesguru

I'm Just Sittin' Here...

• Angels of Death MC
  • England
  • Best Writer 2010

Posted 27 May 2009 - 06:31 PM

QUOTE (ChrisAndy @ May 27 2009, 18:04)
QUOTE (gamesguru @ May 27 2009, 17:21)
<snip>

<snip>

I don't think GTA IV has been shortened in any form. I spent about 80hrs on the game until I got 100%. And as GuruAskew has pointed out, it is rather lengthy compared to others in the series. San Andreas dwarfs IV in comparison and I think that's where the ultimate idea comes from that this game is short. This is a complete re-invention for the GTA franchise, and not everything can be included from the previous entries to please people. Such a task is tedious, and is asking too much of R*. If they include too much in one instalment they have the risk of shooting their own franchise in the foot too soon.

I also think the whole idea of stuff being taken out for DLC stupid. GTA IV was one of the most hyped games in history, and that's no easy feat. Due to this, many people followed the game's progress very closely causing many uproars when the game was released and didn't include many elements of the BETA. Many games have had bigger and more strenuous changes to them, IV would seem minor in comparison. And if it was due to DLC, then where are these features now? Where's the Telegraph pole climbing and Fingerless Gloves? They're not even in the DLC.

On top of this, GTA IV barely fitted on the Xbox disc meaning to fit any more on it would strain the console (and no one wants more San Andreas like pop-ups again do they?). You could say that because of Microsoft and the inferior disc space GTA is not as big as it is, but at the end of the day that was Rockstar's decision, and I believe it to be the right one for the franchise in the long run. It's broadening the user base, and stops a whole Xbox community emailing poor Rockstar support with hateful slurs.

In addition to that, why would Rockstar want to put three different interweaving stories all on one disc/game in one go in the first place? Seems like an idiotic thing to do if you ask me. Revealing and releasing them one at a time seems like a perfect way to do it (DLC).

WelcomeToLibertyCity
  • WelcomeToLibertyCity

City of Angels

• Members

Posted 27 May 2009 - 07:34 PM

lmao! can't wait, especially for both episodes on disc.

Arturs_Z
  • Arturs_Z

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 May 2009 - 07:47 PM

ARE YOU SERIOUS?! WHEN FOR PC SOME COOL THING WILL RELEASE?! PC USER ARE TROWEN AWAY!

Enjoii
  • Enjoii

Ace

• Members
  • England
  • Best New Member 2009
    Most Helpful GTA Series 2009

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:04 PM

QUOTE (Arturs_Z @ May 27 2009, 20:47)
ARE YOU SERIOUS?! WHEN FOR PC SOME COOL THING WILL RELEASE?! PC USER ARE TROWEN AWAY!

Again, this wasn't released on PC or PS3 because it's the second out of the two exclusive episodic content packs. Even before the announcement, everybody knew that it was going to be exclusive to the Xbox 360.

4thosebout2rock
  • 4thosebout2rock

• Members

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:27 PM

My mates and I cant take this for real.

MitchJ90
  • MitchJ90

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:38 PM

I don't like the name really, not the Gay bit, the whole thing just seems not very GTAish.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users