Photo

The Last Album You Listened To

141 replies to this topic
Ciabatta
  • Ciabatta

Rude Boy

• Members

Posted 22 May 2009 - 01:40 AM

This is just like the "Last movie you have seen" topic by papanesta. A few ground rules before we start things off, no number ratings, star ratings or any kind of rating. Just give a description of the last album you listened to, whether or not you liked it, and so on and so forth.

I'll start things off.
Outkast-ATLiens (1996)

user posted image

This album, in my opinion, is OutKast's best work to date. It is their magnum opus if you will. Some would beg to differ and say that their third effort, Aquemini, actually takes that title. I think lyrically this album is better and it shows the beginning divisions between Big Boi and Andre's subject matter and styles (fashion and flow-wise).

The title, album cover, and some of the songs titles seem as if they were a brain-child of Andre 3000, in which the idea was to be a concept album. Such is not the case. The songs with titles such as ATLiens, Millennium, and E.T. show Andre being the better of the as far as flow and lyrics due to the fact that they deal with his smoked-out perspectives and visions of space and Earth below. Yet this is not to say that Big Boi doesn't deliver. Big Boi shines on ATLiens alongside Andre in a battle of friendly lyrical showmanship, but Big Boi delivers harder, better rhymes when put on songs that deal with drugs, hoes, and pimps as a way to bring the listening audience back down to Earth from the trip Andre just took them on.

In my opinion, OutKast's ATLiens is basically taking a space-trip in a '77 Seville while smoking the stickiest of greens with Andre 3000 and Big Boi at your side and a gaggle of "space hoes" for lack of a better word. If you are a Hip-Hop fan, this definitely should be in your collection. If not, it's worth a definite listen.

bigmike72
  • bigmike72

your mom was awesome

• BUSTED!

Posted 22 May 2009 - 02:21 AM

user posted image

This is prolly em's best work since his lp's type of album you have to listen to it a few times to get the feel of it

Wolverine.
  • Wolverine.

[Z]

• Members

Posted 22 May 2009 - 02:27 AM

QUOTE (bigmike72 @ May 22 2009, 02:21)
<snip>

Same album. Although most of the songs in that track aren't really that good for my taste, there are some good ones such as Beautiful, Deja-Vu, Stay Wide Awake and Underground.

Vanilla Shake
  • Vanilla Shake

Feds

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 22 May 2009 - 02:42 AM

"21st Century Breakdown" by Green Day.

Their latest outing seems to be their best work yet. I wasn't a very big fan of their last album, American Idiot, and even though this follows a similar formula, it's much, much, much better in terms of lyrics, music, and overall production. It's spoken to me in ways that no other album has been able to. Definitely a plethora of standout tracks on this album, as opposed to the tracks on American Idiot. If you've heard "Know Your Enemy" on the radio, don't be fooled; it's the only redundant song on the album.

All in all, their best album yet in my opinion. And I never thought they'd be able to top Insomniac.

bigmike72
  • bigmike72

your mom was awesome

• BUSTED!

Posted 22 May 2009 - 02:42 AM

QUOTE (Wolverine. @ May 22 2009, 02:27)
QUOTE (bigmike72 @ May 22 2009, 02:21)
<snip>

Same album. Although most of the songs in that track aren't really that good for my taste, there are some good ones such as Beautiful, Deja-Vu, Stay Wide Awake and Underground.

yeah some good stuff Insane and 3AM are pretty good My Darling is pretty good too

Scarface187
  • Scarface187

Putting out the fire with gasoline.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 22 May 2009 - 02:46 AM

Kylesa - Static Tensions

user posted image

This album is easily one of my picks for album of the year already. It is just......holy sh*t. This band does a great job at taking stoner metal and then adds their on unique sound to it. I might have to write a whole review on this later but right now I can't even really describe how awesome this album is to my ears.

Ya Mum
  • Ya Mum

• BUSTED!

Posted 22 May 2009 - 06:54 AM

Looks promising, Scarface. I'll give it a listen.

KMD - Mr. Hood

user posted image

Dope album. Great beats and lyrics, and the skits are hilarious. Thought I'd also note that this was the beginning of MF DOOM's career.

Recommended to all hip-hop fans.

Jack_Knife
  • Jack_Knife

we usually take all niggas garments

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 22 May 2009 - 12:34 PM

SOIL & "PIMP" Sessions - Pimp of the Year

user posted image

This band is f*cking rad.

nabo45
  • nabo45

Soldier

• Members

Posted 22 May 2009 - 12:43 PM

Crashdïet - Rest In Sleaze

Just got it today, and I already f*ckin love it!

user posted image

For you people who don't know Crashdïet, they're a swedish Glam/Hair metal band (kinda like Crüe and Faster Pussycat mixed toegether). These guys are f*ckin bad ass!

Pr0xy_fl00d3r
  • Pr0xy_fl00d3r

The Droogs, Finally real rapists on the scene.

• Members

Posted 22 May 2009 - 01:24 PM

Rancid-...And out come the wolves
user posted image

The Dead Kennedys-Mutiny on the bay
user posted image

4thosebout2rock
  • 4thosebout2rock

• Members

Posted 22 May 2009 - 01:38 PM Edited by 4thosebout2rock, 22 May 2009 - 01:46 PM.

A DAY TO REMEMBER- Homesick

user posted image

Never gets old for me.

EDIT: I would say recomend this album to anyone with interest in pop-punk or hardcore as this band mixes the both together very well.

This is also the newest off there albums.

Ciabatta
  • Ciabatta

Rude Boy

• Members

Posted 22 May 2009 - 01:41 PM

One thing I should tell you guys is that you MUST post more than the title and be a little descriptive about the album , please and thank you.

4thosebout2rock
  • 4thosebout2rock

• Members

Posted 22 May 2009 - 01:46 PM

QUOTE (Ciabatta @ May 22 2009, 13:41)
One thing I should tell you guys is that you MUST post more than the title and be a little descriptive about the album , please and thank you.

Alright fixed. biggrin.gif

Jay
  • Jay

1984 - 2011

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 22 May 2009 - 02:09 PM

Remixes by SebastiAn

user posted image

Some good solid electro/french house going on here. I love anything from Ed Banger. Seb is in the same vein as Daft Punk and Kavinsky. Love this stuff.

Craig
  • Craig

Hell Interface

• Members

Posted 22 May 2009 - 02:18 PM

user posted image
Air's Pocket Symphony

An amazing piece of work, I'm really into my ambient music but this is just lively enough so you don't drift off to sleep when you're listening to it. I'm a big fan of Air as it is, and I'm going so far as to say this is their best for me, it ticks all the right boxes. Moon Safari was good but this delivers so much more.

I may have to check out Kylesa too...

Ciabatta
  • Ciabatta

Rude Boy

• Members

Posted 22 May 2009 - 02:22 PM

QUOTE (Jay @ May 22 2009, 14:09)
Remixes by SebastiAn

user posted image

Some good solid electro/french house going on here. I love anything from Ed Banger. Seb is in the same vein as Daft Punk and Kavinsky. Love this stuff.

I've been getting into the French House/Electro scene what with Justice, Ed Banger Records being at the vanguard of it all. I find it to be like the re-birth of Electro, breathing new air into what started with Kraftwerk and extended into America with Afrika Bambaataa. Good stuff, indeed.

Jay
  • Jay

1984 - 2011

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 22 May 2009 - 04:38 PM

QUOTE (Ciabatta @ May 22 2009, 23:52)
QUOTE (Jay @ May 22 2009, 14:09)
Remixes by SebastiAn

[/IMG]http://i36.tinypic.com/2u6d085.jpg[/IMG]

I've been getting into the French House/Electro scene what with Justice, Ed Banger Records being at the vanguard of it all. I find it to be like the re-birth of Electro, breathing new air into what started with Kraftwerk and extended into America with Afrika Bambaataa. Good stuff, indeed.

You heard of Danger? He's like Kavinsky only his stuff has a darker feel to it.

Listening to 09/16 2007 now.

user posted image

His stuff is fair hard to track down though - unless of course, y'knooooooow turn.gif

Also I haven't seen you since the Elecis days, sup?

Scarface187
  • Scarface187

Putting out the fire with gasoline.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 22 May 2009 - 11:48 PM

QUOTE (Masterkraft @ May 22 2009, 14:18)

Judging by the avatar, I take it you like?

Vanilla Shake
  • Vanilla Shake

Feds

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 22 May 2009 - 11:53 PM

QUOTE (Ya Mum @ May 22 2009, 02:54)
Dope album. Great beats and lyrics, and the skits are hilarious. Thought I'd also note that this was the beginning of MF DOOM's career.

Recommended to all hip-hop fans.

MF DOOM? That's definitely getting a listen from me.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Godawful-Disturbed-Earl Root

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 May 2009 - 12:51 AM Edited by Slamman, 23 May 2009 - 12:53 AM.

I like my selection best, <G> and Whoa... Guess what!??
It's on an ACTUAL LP 12inch record! Pete Way formed WAYSTED as I mention in a thread about the UFO bottom end player...made earlier... after he had started up FASTWAY with Fast Eddie Clark of ex-MOTORHEAD.

Pete comments that UFOs albums at the time didn't do as well as WAYSTED's two more well known recordings; VICES and Save Your Prayers, 1986
Vices is 1984. I was really digging on both bands in the 1980s when these LPs first came out, my copy of the albums have stood the test of time. Serious about rock? No, your not, until you get these.

user posted image

Ya Mum
  • Ya Mum

• BUSTED!

Posted 23 May 2009 - 03:49 AM

Dave Bixby - Ode to Quetzalcoatl

user posted image

One of the saddest albums I've ever heard. Original copies of this extremely rare LP have sold on ebay for over $1000 and now I know why.

Fans of Nick Drake should definitely check this out. That's if you can find it. PM me if you're having trouble. wink.gif

Slamman
  • Slamman

Godawful-Disturbed-Earl Root

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 May 2009 - 03:58 AM

Maybe it's about time someone bump the LP records thread, I probably posted in it last. I started playing them again!

Pr0xy_fl00d3r
  • Pr0xy_fl00d3r

The Droogs, Finally real rapists on the scene.

• Members

Posted 23 May 2009 - 08:30 PM

user posted image
Brilliant album, cant beat Ska.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

ThePinkFloydSound

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 23 May 2009 - 09:38 PM

QUOTE (Masterkraft @ May 22 2009, 15:18)
user posted image
Air's Pocket Symphony

An amazing piece of work, I'm really into my ambient music but this is just lively enough so you don't drift off to sleep when you're listening to it. I'm a big fan of Air as it is, and I'm going so far as to say this is their best for me, it ticks all the right boxes. Moon Safari was good but this delivers so much more.

Great album! icon14.gif

user posted image

Still listening. Getting my opinion. First track (In Chains) is great!

Ciabatta
  • Ciabatta

Rude Boy

• Members

Posted 24 May 2009 - 01:34 AM

user posted image

Madlib-Blunted in the Bomb Shelter

One of Madlib's rare gems. The only time I heard about this album was at a wikipedia site when I first looked up Madlib about three or four years ago. This album was listed in his discography. Interested to see what it was, I learned that it was a large collection of remixes and dub re-workings of Dub and Reggae music from Jamaica's famous (Barrington Levy, King Tubby) to some of the more obscure (The Upsetters, U-Brown) artists.

The album was done in Madlib's legendary but now long-gone basement studio known as the "Bomb Shelter" because the Oxnard, California basement was built as a bomb shelter in the 1960s at the height of the Cuban Missile Crisis.

This album is a great listen. The album basically sounds like Madlib just picked up a quarter pound of reefer, headed down to the Bomb Shelter, rolled up a fat one, smoked, and then started doing all of his work thus spawned the title and the album. With sounds from old Atari games, someone inhaling a substance one imagine as marijuana, lots of echo and reverb, this is a Dub album built almost solely for fellow weed smokers. Yet even if you're not and you appreciate Dub music, this is still something you have to check out.

Craig
  • Craig

Hell Interface

• Members

Posted 24 May 2009 - 03:01 PM

I took Scarface's advice and listened to that Kylesa album. Glad I did, f*cking blew my tits off. I've listened to it twice now and it's fast becoming my favourite, so thanks for that one. icon14.gif

Speaking of recent albums I listened to, here's one; Buckethead's "In Search Of The", Volume 2.

user posted image

For those unfamiliar with ISOT, I'll explain. Basically, ISOT is a collection of a total of 13 albums released together as a box-set. Each volume is around 45-50 minutes in duration with a variety of track lengths and number of tracks. The last part, volume 13 consists of one long unbroken 45 minute song. I most recently listened to volume 2 which is by far my favourite. It's an ambient/funk/jazz/electronic/metal/avant-guarde fusion, I've never heard anything like it before. Choice track is Blue Marbles Moon, which I've posted here if anyone's remotely curious.

stef_92
  • stef_92

GTA3 Freak

• Members

Posted 24 May 2009 - 03:23 PM

In Qontrol 2009 CTRL ALT DELETE 2CD compilation (hardstyle)

Damo.
  • Damo.

Gangsta

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 24 May 2009 - 03:40 PM

user posted image
Read Music/Speak Spanish by Desaparecidos.

A very different, heavier sound from Conor Oberst, nothing like Bright Eyes. Still keeps the great lyricism but in a vastly different form.
Pity they were so under-appreciated and short-lived. Definitely a quality album for something recorded in the space of a week. My favourite track would be Manana, it's been stuck in my head all week.

Ya Mum
  • Ya Mum

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 May 2009 - 10:46 AM

Neil Young - Journey Through the Past

user posted image

Consists of mostly live tracks but is supposed to be the soundtrack to Neil Young's own directed movie, Journey Through the Past. Not many have seen the film since he never properly released it, but it will be one of the discs in his Archives Vol. 1 box set, which is set for release next week. Can't wait to watch it.

The album itself is probably something only die hard fans of Neil Young's should check out. The quality is pretty bad since it was only ever released on vinyl and the mp3's that are floating around the internet all have pretty bad crackles and pops.

An all round good listen though, I'm a die hard Neil Young fan so there's not much I don't like.

tw!tch
  • tw!tch

●̪•

• Members

Posted 25 May 2009 - 10:54 AM Edited by tw!tch, 25 May 2009 - 10:56 AM.

This morning on the bus on my way to school. Dopethrone - Electric Wizard
user posted image

yep, nuff said really. its electric wizard, theyre awesome & this is a classic album of theirs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users