The Social Club

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3,801 replies to this topic
Chunk
  • Chunk

Gangsta

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 24 May 2009 - 01:09 PM

I just couldn't write it. I mean, it's still in my documents, and SSOTM closes tomorrow I think, so maybe I could finish it.

Oxidizer
  • Oxidizer

• The Connection

Posted 24 May 2009 - 01:10 PM

QUOTE (Chunk @ May 24 2009, 12:54)
I'm trying to stop that, I really am. It's just so frustrating. I mean, I've been writing random little segments just to get me out of habit of tossing whatever I'm working on aside and doing f*ck all about it. I've told you that this is annoying me before Phil, you know that. I just hope I can get it up just to giving myself a feeling of knowing that I've got something up.

That is exactly my problem. cry.gif

Eminence
  • Eminence

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 24 May 2009 - 01:40 PM

QUOTE (Oxidizer @ May 24 2009, 13:10)
QUOTE (Chunk @ May 24 2009, 12:54)
I'm trying to stop that, I really am. It's just so frustrating. I mean, I've been writing random little segments just to get me out of habit of tossing whatever I'm working on aside and doing f*ck all about it. I've told you that this is annoying me before Phil, you know that. I just hope I can get it up just to giving myself a feeling of knowing that I've got something up.

That is exactly my problem. cry.gif

I'm still waiting for that one-shot, or so help me I'm never speaking to you again.

Oxidizer
  • Oxidizer

• The Connection

Posted 24 May 2009 - 05:59 PM

QUOTE (Eminence @ May 24 2009, 13:40)
I'm still waiting for that one-shot, or so help me I'm never speaking to you again.

I'm working on something right now, as to whether it'll see the light of day is a different thing altogether. tounge2.gif So far I'm at a loss for words; I think it's a bit of writer's block and lack of creativity.

Eminence
  • Eminence

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 24 May 2009 - 06:02 PM

You will post it. Even if it's four lines long, nonsensical and the worst thing you've ever seen in your life. You WILL post it.

Craig
  • Craig

Hell Interface

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 May 2009 - 06:03 PM

QUOTE (Eminence @ May 24 2009, 19:02)
You will post it. Even if it's four lines long, nonsensical and the worst thing you've ever seen in your life. You WILL post it.

I was so tempted to follow this up with a picture of Scruffy the Janitor from Futurama with "second" written underneath, but we're playing a different game now. It's called "Andy posts something or he gets his teeth cut out". It's a killer in the playgrounds this summer.

Wink wink.

Oxidizer
  • Oxidizer

• The Connection

Posted 24 May 2009 - 06:07 PM

biggrin.gif Well, I got one line for the time being. I'm stuck as to what to add onto it next:

Using his BlackBerry, Remy Oxborough accessed his Inbox, thumbing the keypad to open the lone e-mail addressed to him by a contact identified only as Penrab. No last name.

I'll give you three guesses (though you'll probably only need one) as to what I'm writing. I'm using it as a tool to get back into writing now seeing as this story's no longer a top priority of mine; I'm determined not to care how badly it's written. tounge2.gif

Craig
  • Craig

Hell Interface

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 May 2009 - 06:11 PM

GOOD.

Seriously, just belt the c*nt out. If it's bad, we'll tell you and help you if we can. Maybe it's amazing, and it's the best you've ever done. We won't know until it's slapped on the board like a cock on a coffee table. I can't see it being bad at all, I'm speaking hypothetical, but just get it wazzed up so we can read it.

Oxidizer
  • Oxidizer

• The Connection

Posted 24 May 2009 - 06:15 PM

colgate.gif I'm gonna give it my best shot. Only, without putting too much commitment and investment into it. I hope.
QUOTE (Masterkraft)
We won't know until it's slapped on the board like a cock on a coffee table.

I only got four letters in response to that: r. o. f. l.

Eminence
  • Eminence

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 24 May 2009 - 06:16 PM

If you don't post at least two paragraphs by midnight tonight, you're banished from WD.

Oxidizer
  • Oxidizer

• The Connection

Posted 24 May 2009 - 06:18 PM

You guys had better have bought me some decent goodbye gifts! tounge.gif

On a serious note: I'll try. Believe me, I want something posted more than anyone.

Eminence
  • Eminence

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 24 May 2009 - 08:34 PM

QUOTE (Oxidizer @ May 24 2009, 18:18)
Believe me, I want something posted more than anyone.

I'm not so sure! Now, where are we up to, hmmmm? tounge.gif

Omnia sunt Communia
  • Omnia sunt Communia

Tierra Y Libertad

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 May 2009 - 09:03 PM

I did some research into Indian demonology and came across and intresting creature known as a Vetala. According to Wikipedia:

QUOTE (Wikipedia)
A vetala, or baital, is a vampire-like being from Hindu mythology. The vetala are defined as spirits inhabiting corpses. These corpses may be used as vehicles for movement (as they no longer decay while so inhabited); but a vetala may also leave the body at will.

General Description

In Hindu folklore, the vetala is an evil spirit who haunts cemeteries and takes demonic possession of corpses. They make their displeasure known by troubling humans. They can drive people mad, kill children, and cause miscarriages, but also guard villages.

They are hostile spirits of the dead trapped in the 'twilight zone' between life and afterlife. These creatures can be repelled by the chanting of holy mantras. One can free them from their ghostly existence by performing their funerary rites. Being unaffected by the laws of space and time, they have an uncanny knowledge about the past, present, and future and a deep insight into human nature. Therefore many sorcerers seek to capture them and turn them into slaves.

They are very interesting creatures and one I would like to include in a story sometime in the future. I did have one idea though which came to mind when I thought of incorporating the Vetala into a story:
    Set in Victorian England, the story revolves around a curator at the British Museum. When a strange Indian sorceror offers the museum the body of a ancient Indian soldier as a gift they immediatly accept it; unbeknowst to them though the body contains and evil spirit which the sorceror plans to harvest and use to take control of The British Empire and free his country.
I was thinking maybe it could include Mortimer Crane; the vampire character I invented a few posts back. As for now though it's still in the planning stages. I just came across the creature and became fascinated immediatly.

Osric
  • Osric

In The Name Of The Moon

• Members

Posted 25 May 2009 - 12:27 AM

The progress with Build Up Your Army is going well. El Zilcho and I have streamlined everything, removing some factions and replacing them with more logical ones(For example. France has been replaced with Norway), however, more factions will be added as more people join.

We'll have Build Up Your Army, inspired by Call of Duty 4, but what about a more historical BUYG-like game, similar to Age of Empires 2 and Medieval: Total War? It'd be called Build Up Your Kingdom and be set between the fall of Rome and the discovery of the New World by Columbus, and the factions would be divided into five groups: Catholic(England, France, Germany), Pagan(Scotland, Denmark, Ireland), Orthodox(Byzantine Empire, Russia, Hungary), Muslim(Fatamid Egypt, Persia, Saracen Caliphates), and Oriental(China, Japan, Mongol Empire). The weapons would range from basic western weapons like longswords, battle axes, and crossbows, to oriental weapons like katanas, sai, and nunchucks, to impromptu weapons like scythes, knives, and pitchforks, and even exotic weapons like black eggs, kamas, and kukri blades. I probably won't include gunpowder weapons until more people join. The vehicles will be replaced with siege engines and armor. Also, instead of rackets in BUYG, guilds, farms, and other places will generate money for the kingdom.

Also, while I do know that England and Germany are now Protestant, the game is pre-Reformation and the Pagan nations became Catholic in the Middle Ages, but they were introduced to Catholicism later, whereas England, France, and Germany were introduced to Catholicism by the Romans before the game's beginning(476 AD). Just thought I should clear that up.

Don Garcia aka NjNakedSnake
  • Don Garcia aka NjNakedSnake

• Members

Posted 25 May 2009 - 12:42 AM

Well, I've started to actually outline a story. I never do that, which is weird. I just start typing, and it comes to me as I go. Not the best approach, but I've always done it that way.

So I took an empty binder, filled with the loose-leaf paper and just started jotting sh*t down in small segments. Just ideas. I like what I have thus far. Ideas come easy this way. I have the first quarter of the story like, already thought out. Now onto the meaty middle section and of course the ending. Then and only then will I start typing it out.

It's a Western. A revenge tale. But that doesn't mean it's "easy." Its not just a bang-bang cowboy tale.

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 25 May 2009 - 06:58 AM

Just a whisper in the wind at the moment, I've still got to finish Bear. But here's a brief synopsis of what I might do:

QUOTE (The Nine Lives of Mr. Basset)
The story follows an elderly man and his grandson as they track down the elusive Mr. Basset. An old enemy from the grandfathers past.
Basset has lived more than any mortal man, but to achieve this he must perform a special ceremony in the village of Little Gibbet.
The ritual grants him the youth for another life but each time slowly erodes his mind. Friends from the Grandfathers past have been dying in mysterious circumstances and he believes it is because they all knew of Mr. Bassetís secret. He reasons that it will only be a matter of time until he is next and so aims to kill him before he once more becomes young and strong.

Lochie_old
  • Lochie_old

Fudging Boring Idiots

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 May 2009 - 07:43 AM

You guys, if I don't have a new story posted by the 1st of June then please ban me from ever visiting WD again.

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 25 May 2009 - 07:45 AM

Can't we just ban you anyway?

Lochie_old
  • Lochie_old

Fudging Boring Idiots

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 May 2009 - 08:43 AM

QUOTE (Typhus @ May 25 2009, 07:45)
Can't we just ban you anyway?

No, because you smell and your parents smell too!

Omnia sunt Communia
  • Omnia sunt Communia

Tierra Y Libertad

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 May 2009 - 02:42 PM

@Osric: I don't want to sound rude, but you haven't even got Build Up Your Army off the ground yet, so I don't think you need to worry about creating another forum based game yet. You don't even know if BUYA is going to take off. It took BUYG a while to become popular - and that's a GTA based game.

I think you and El Zilcho are thinking a bit above your heads with this whole project. When I was planning my now defunct Mercenaries idea (I'm not going to bother now that someone has pretty much stolen my idea off me) I set it in a single locale with a tangible story so that it was easy to follow and could be enterered and exited at will. With your idea you're setting it across the world with no plot besides: "We're at war!"

What sort of direction is that going to lead to? People are just going to write generic stories revolving around a warzone instead of someone progressing your "epic" storyline any further. I think you need to tone it down and stop thinking ahead of yourself.

El Zilcho
  • El Zilcho

Virtuoso

• The Connection
  • European-Union

Posted 25 May 2009 - 02:54 PM

I haven't added anything to0 Build Up Your Kingdom. In fact, I was about to reply and say it was too much for the moment. Osric, to be honest I don't really think the BUYK idea would be very good. BUYA is more than enough, and if we put maximum effort into it, then it would be fantastic and we wouldn't need a second.

Osric
  • Osric

In The Name Of The Moon

• Members

Posted 25 May 2009 - 02:57 PM Edited by Osric, 25 May 2009 - 02:59 PM.

Hmm, maybe you're right. Maybe I should take it down from World War III to a more specific location, and maybe if I do make another forum game like BUYG, give it a specific location(Maybe a Medieval BUYG should be Feudal Japan with different clans instead of all of Europe and Asia). I'll find out what El Zilcho thinks and then we'll make a final decision on whether or not to make BUYA or BUYK. I'm too far ahead of myself. I'll consult El Zilcho on specifying the location, but we did have various intertwining stories that lead up to World War III. A cold war between America and China, a second Russian Revolution, and other things. However, there are subgroups of armies: Western(USA, Britain, France, Norway), Eastern(Russia, China, Israel, Iran), Militia(Rebel Forces, Japanese Resistance, Korean Resistance, Chechnyan Liberation Force), and Terrorist(Zhukov Party, Hamas, IRA, Somalian Pirates), all with their own story arcs. But it may be too much. Again, I'll consult El Zilcho and see what he thinks.

@El Zilcho, I read your post and maybe BUYK is too much. That would be better for another site. We'll stick to BUYA. Also, I've decided to keep France, but I've added other forces as well, one for each subgroup.

Oxidizer
  • Oxidizer

• The Connection

Posted 25 May 2009 - 03:15 PM

Just pick a few countries to utilise for the time being. That's making me dizzy. tounge2.gif Besides, you can always expand on more countries/factions later on, if necessary. Right now that is completely out of control and is a mess.

Focus on the United States, China and India for now or something. I'm not sure how a WWIII would kickstart, so those are just examples. I wouldn't go beyond using more than three, maybe four, different countries to begin with. Less is more in this case; the less countries you have to focus on, the more tighter the actual storyline will be.

Osric
  • Osric

In The Name Of The Moon

• Members

Posted 25 May 2009 - 03:21 PM

OK, how about one for each theater: USA, China, Russia, and Israel. The rest will be added later.

Oxidizer
  • Oxidizer

• The Connection

Posted 25 May 2009 - 03:23 PM

That's more like it! icon14.gif

Is this going to have an actual storyline or is it going to be a thing where you make it up as you go along?

El Zilcho
  • El Zilcho

Virtuoso

• The Connection
  • European-Union

Posted 25 May 2009 - 03:53 PM Edited by El Zilcho, 25 May 2009 - 03:59 PM.

Oh, we've got a storyline lads:

TIMELINE 2013-2024
"It's 2013. Russia and China are slowly coming to heads over various political and economic issues. NATO is falling apart, and a rebel faction, Novaya Russia is struggling for power and a return to Czarist ways, led by a power hungry and deluded cabinet ruled over by the cunning Vladimir Ushi.

As war breaks out in Central Russia, an idealistic old communist general Mikhail Zhukov joins the conflict under a banner of unified Soviet. Using underground connections, Zhukov launches a terrorist regime that will tip the world into war. Meanwhile, China starts a war with the surrounding Asian States, funded by Zhukov. Chechnya breaks into total chaos and conflict spreads to Africa, where the Americans and Chinese struggle to finance and arm a new wave of civil wars, in order to gain the upper hand.

As Europe is invaded by the communist Zhukov forces, and Putin's regime is disassembled, Nuclear war looms as terrorist factions in the middle east buy weapons from Zhukov, and war breaks out between Iran, Iraq, Saudia Arabia and many more. Isreal is invaded, and the Insurgency of Iraq become a fully fledged totalitarian government as the Coalition withdraw to fight in Europe.

South America is plunged into war when rebels ally themselves with Zhukov and Ushi, splitting the continent to pieces, with crime rife and corruption reaching boiling point. The international theater of war spreads to Central America too, with the now communist rebels threatening to invade Mexico and posing a considerable threat to a weakened US, which itself is close to invasion and tipping point via the Bering Straits. Timing is ticking away, and several nuclear weapons add to the severity and danger of the ensuing conflict, which will no doubt tear the world apart.

Which army will you lead to victory in WWIII?"

Rough, simple draft of the over all war. And for it to work, we'll need quite a few factions, but only the main ones. And we intend for people to write for 2 (or even 3) factions. icon14.gif

Chunk
  • Chunk

Gangsta

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 25 May 2009 - 04:16 PM

If you look at the signatures of our 2 good ol' led-bys, Craig has Supply and Phil has Demand.

Is there something coming up gentlemen? Or am I looking into this too much?

Ciabatta
  • Ciabatta

Rude Boy

• Members

Posted 25 May 2009 - 04:19 PM

I like the idea of the terrorist groups for Build Up Your Army, but I might be asking for too much. I just want to be a Somalian Pirate for some strange reason.

Ronmar The Only
  • Ronmar The Only

Storyteller, Plus Hopeless Romantic.

• The Connection

Posted 25 May 2009 - 06:19 PM

So I've posted the first part of Oliver's Grocery and plan to have the other part out as the week progresses. In addition to editing The Harlot, I'm going to edit all of my previous shorts in my collections thread.

To the storyline for presented by El Zilcho, how is Putin loosing power exactly concerning your time is only set four years from now and I'd say his position seems to be pretty strong... but then again, I don't follow Russian politics much.

El Zilcho
  • El Zilcho

Virtuoso

• The Connection
  • European-Union

Posted 25 May 2009 - 06:29 PM

Well, I wasn't really going to explain that in much detail, I would go as far to say this is of course in an alternate universe, so Putin would have been gradually losing power until then, and a coup would result in his forced escape from Moscow.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users