» «
Photo

The Social Club

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3,801 replies to this topic
Eminence
  • Eminence

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:20 PM Edited by Eminence, 20 February 2011 - 07:07 PM.

user posted image

El Zilcho
  • El Zilcho

Virtuoso

• The Connection
  • European-Union

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:27 PM

Good time to lock Writers Ideas, on it's 100th page. I hope this goes well, looks good at the moment. I've recently been in discussion with osric about a Build Up Your Army, it will include location around the world, and be heavily based on the style (and general feeling) of Call of Duty 4. More to come...

General Goose
  • General Goose

Because Jeb Bush is all in my house with disease.

• Members

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:30 PM

A Build Up Your Army?

A noobish question, but could you explain what that means? Sounds interesting.

Omnia sunt Communia
  • Omnia sunt Communia

Tierra Y Libertad

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:36 PM

I was thinking about a topic like a while ago, though the name "The Writer's Block" always came to mind during those daydreams. Good work.

QUOTE (El Zilcho @ May 17 2009, 22:27)
I've recently been in discussion with osric about a Build Up Your Army, it will include location around the world, and be heavily based on the style (and general feeling) of Call of Duty 4. More to come...

Glad to see my idea is being put to good use. sigh.gif

I haven't had any ideas - none worth mentioning. I've been concentrating on improving my writing style at the moment: Reading books, looking up popular grammatical errors, practicing my style etc etc.

El Zilcho
  • El Zilcho

Virtuoso

• The Connection
  • European-Union

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:47 PM

QUOTE (General Goose @ May 17 2009, 21:30)
A Build Up Your Army?

A noobish question, but could you explain what that means? Sounds interesting.

Well, it would involve a global conflict, mainly concerning a Russian civil war, a European theater (further on in the time line) an Asian front to the conflict, and a South American war too. The player would choose an army to fight for, and through the writing of stories, they would receive money and equipment, and be able to purchase upgrades, and various other army related items to augment the arsenal they already have. It's still in early stages, but me and Osric have developed quite the story, and have a full weapons and factions list almost finished.

General Goose
  • General Goose

Because Jeb Bush is all in my house with disease.

• Members

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:53 PM

So does that mean everyone can get involved?

On an unrelated note, a few years back, I was playing this game called Tropico. It inspired me to write a novel set in the same time period and location, revolving around a Presidential assassination and the chaos that followed. I got to 40 pages, but looking back, it was quite mediocre. I was younger then, so I might try improving it or starting on another novel.

Omnia sunt Communia
  • Omnia sunt Communia

Tierra Y Libertad

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:54 PM

Nice to know people are giving credit where credit is due. sarcasm.gif

El Zilcho
  • El Zilcho

Virtuoso

• The Connection
  • European-Union

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:56 PM

QUOTE (Jacky Fiend @ May 17 2009, 21:54)
Nice to know people are giving credit where credit is due. sarcasm.gif

Sorry mate, forgot to mention you created the original idea. icon14.gif Osric PMed me to say he wanted to do a BUYG like Jacky Fiends, but with Armies instead of just mercs. And yes, everyone can get involved.

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

I'm the writer.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 May 2009 - 10:24 PM

I'm still working on GTA Vice City Undead, when that is done i will be working on 'Chronicles'.

I'm working on something secretive aswell, It's big. biggrin.gif

Face McDougal
  • Face McDougal

asparagus/

• Members

Posted 17 May 2009 - 10:30 PM

I hope this works out for you, Em.

So... what does everyone think about taffy?

Just kidding. colgate.gif

Osric
  • Osric

In The Name Of The Moon

• Members

Posted 17 May 2009 - 11:05 PM

To El Zilcho, thanks for getting the word out. Maybe we can get this done by the end of next week.

The story will be set in 2018 and these are the factions that I have so far(El Zilcho has other factions, but I will have to check with him to make sure which ones he wants to keep). The basic story is that The United States and China are locked in a Cold War, Russia is falling apart, Japan is occupied by China, the Middle East conflicts are getting worse, and Europe and Latin America are sitting on a powder keg that will set off World War III. More details will come.

The United States
China
Great Britain
France
Russian Federation
Israel
Kenya
Brazil
Argentina
Somalian Pirates
Hamas
Taliban
Chechnyan Liberation Army
Japanese Resistance
Ushi Party(A Russian Monarchist faction)
Zhukov Party(A Russian Communist faction)
Irish Republican Army

And many more.....Hope you guys will join. Me and El Zilcho will work more of this out over the week.

Omnia sunt Communia
  • Omnia sunt Communia

Tierra Y Libertad

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 May 2009 - 11:08 PM

Have you ever thought about how you're going to fill each of those factions? There aren't even that many players in Build Up Your Gang IV and that is quite popular. I'm not doubting your idea but it is quite obvious that it is not going to draw as big a crowd as an Grand Theft Auto based game does on a Grand Theft Auto based forum.

Osric
  • Osric

In The Name Of The Moon

• Members

Posted 17 May 2009 - 11:11 PM

I know it will be hard at first, and I may have to trim some of the factions, since the main focus will be on the United States, Russia, China, Israel, Britain, and Japan. I may have to remove the Taliban(Since they are already weakened significantly), and possibly France(They aren't a major world player anymore), and maybe the African factions. I'll discuss some of this with El Zilcho.

Wanted Assailant
  • Wanted Assailant

Soldier

• Members

Posted 18 May 2009 - 12:16 AM

The 'Build Up Your Army' plan sounds really good. I only hope it will actually swing by, and actually stay and not die out in the following days (collab projects around here don't usually have a good life expectancy). I will definitely be joining if it ever gets created.

I think I'm going to work on more experimental fiction and all that. Want to test myself and stuff. Wanna steer away from the generic layout to creating a story and just wanting to bolt in with randomness, twists, and creativity. I'm focusing really on my twists. I just now noticed that when I read throughout some of my stories that I could totally add in a real good twist or something. Maybe, right now, I bet I could write a whole story revolving around vicious twists (twists that originate because of a character's choice or personality), only that, I would make the heaviness of twists turn subtle enough that you wouldn't eye it, and you would read it as if the story is flowing the right way.

Warplay3r
  • Warplay3r

I compose art like the ghost of Mozart

• Members

Posted 18 May 2009 - 01:01 AM Edited by Warplay3r, 22 May 2009 - 03:22 AM.

2010. Times are slowly changing for teenager Mikey Myrsine. All of his friends have resorted to drugs or something of the sort. Money has been his desire for a while, and he figured that he might as well make it happen. Making connections with big time dealers, he begins his trade in drug dealing, hoping to find a future, in days like these...

Oxidizer
  • Oxidizer

• The Connection

Posted 18 May 2009 - 09:45 AM

Just when I was about to rant about some ballsack locking the Ideas' thread, I see this. tounge.gif

Only joking. But on a more serious (and tedious) note: I'll give you one guess as to who's got writers' block. Yep; I've been trying to write a chapter all night and what I've managed to churn out (or lack thereof) is absolute sh*t. I'm frightened I've lost whatever skills I had to begin with (though I've got a sneaking suspicion that it's [hopefully] just because I'm putting too much pressure on myself for it to be perfect [kind of like when you can't get it up when wanting to perform stellar sex (please tell me this happens to all the boys?)]).

That aside, awesome topic, dudes. colgate.gif

The Unvirginiser
  • The Unvirginiser

You ain't gettin' your tings?!

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 18 May 2009 - 09:57 AM

Didn't Craig post something in the rules thread to help out writer's block from that nifty little motivation website? Check it out man, surely such a travesty like your talent being squandered should'nt be aloud to happen.

Craig
  • Craig

Hell Interface

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 May 2009 - 10:31 AM

QUOTE (The Unvirginiser @ May 18 2009, 10:57)
Didn't Craig post something in the rules thread to help out writer's block from that nifty little motivation website? Check it out man, surely such a travesty like your talent being squandered should'nt be aloud to happen.

Yeah, I posted a Dumb Little Man article on boosting creativity, and I'm not sure if I posted a Seventh Sanctum page where name and plot generators could be found to help fill in narratives in need of background characters.

This sounds like a great idea; it's name is classy in itself and holds far more than just mindless chatter. I know we're all guilty of that, though there's nothing wrong with a tad bit of brainstorming. Is this topic going to resume the place of WI as of today or is there still work to be done?

Pr0xy_fl00d3r
  • Pr0xy_fl00d3r

The Droogs, Finally real rapists on the scene.

• Members

Posted 18 May 2009 - 11:52 AM

I wouldn't mind seeing a Build up your gang (real life), using most major American gangs from the five families to bloods & crips.

Eminence
  • Eminence

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 18 May 2009 - 01:10 PM

QUOTE (Masterkraft @ May 18 2009, 10:31)
This sounds like a great idea; it's name is classy in itself and holds far more than just mindless chatter. I know we're all guilty of that, though there's nothing wrong with a tad bit of brainstorming. Is this topic going to resume the place of WI as of today or is there still work to be done?

Not sure what you mean - still work to be done on what? Yeah, this topic's pretty much taking the place of WI, along with plenty of other things, though.

If people are struggling with writer's block, and it seems like an obvious solution, but google it. You'll find countless activities, exercises, ideas or tips on how to get rolling again.

Craig
  • Craig

Hell Interface

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 May 2009 - 02:14 PM

QUOTE (Eminence @ May 18 2009, 14:10)
QUOTE (Masterkraft @ May 18 2009, 10:31)

Not sure what you mean - still work to be done on what? Yeah, this topic's pretty much taking the place of WI, along with plenty of other things, though.

Yeah, that's pretty much it, just wondering if the replacement was effective immediately.

If people are struggling with writer's block, and it seems like an obvious solution, but google it. You'll find countless activities, exercises, ideas or tips on how to get rolling again.

I find Seventh Sanctum to have all that under one website, it's helped me countless times in the past.

Eminence
  • Eminence

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 18 May 2009 - 02:40 PM

QUOTE (Masterkraft @ May 18 2009, 14:14)
I find Seventh Sanctum to have all that under one website, it's helped me countless times in the past.

At a glance, that seems to just be a load of generators to come up with names and stuff. Am I missing something? That's not really what I meant by 'exercises'.

Craig
  • Craig

Hell Interface

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 May 2009 - 02:48 PM

QUOTE (Eminence @ May 18 2009, 15:40)
QUOTE (Masterkraft @ May 18 2009, 14:14)

At a glance, that seems to just be a load of generators to come up with names and stuff. Am I missing something? That's not really what I meant by 'exercises'.

There used to be links posted by the runners of the website directing you to other writing-centric websites, I've just had a snoop around and they seem to have gone. Either that or I've forgotten where they were kept. Not to worry, Google's always your friend in times of a creative drought.

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 18 May 2009 - 02:50 PM Edited by Typhus, 18 May 2009 - 08:26 PM.

Fine. Be that way.

Chunk
  • Chunk

Gangsta

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:14 PM

A social club eh? Seems a good idea, though I will miss good ol' Writer's Ideas.

My writing? I was looking through Writer's Ideas and I seen a few old ideas of mine I want to write. So someday, maybe, possibly, I'll write them.

Craig
  • Craig

Hell Interface

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:14 PM

QUOTE (Chunk @ May 18 2009, 20:14)
My writing? I was looking through Writer's Ideas and I seen a few old ideas of mine I want to write. So someday, maybe, possibly, I'll write them.

I know you're taking a break, but whatever happened to Used Banana Box?

Chunk
  • Chunk

Gangsta

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:19 PM

Oh my God, that's right. I believe it was postponed because of Majestic City, so maybe I'll be able to write it now.

Thanks to Mister Kraft, I've seen the light. Watch this space..

El Zilcho
  • El Zilcho

Virtuoso

• The Connection
  • European-Union

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:22 PM

QUOTE (Chunk @ May 18 2009, 19:19)
Oh my God, that's right. I believe it was postponed because of Majestic City, so maybe I'll be able to write it now.

Thanks to Mister Kraft, I've seen the light. Watch this space..

Used Banana Box sounded smexy, I loved the feel of it, even before I had read anything but the blurb! But I will watch intently.

Lethal Nizzle
  • Lethal Nizzle

Optima dies, prima fugit

• Members

Posted 18 May 2009 - 08:23 PM

I'm waiting for the chance to take a photo of my descriptive coursework/take it out of my folder in school to show on here. If anyone remembers my Tranquil Gulch descriptive piece, it was a little short - but I beefed it up for the final draft and I managed to get a 19/20 (A*) for it.

Watch this space. icon14.gif

Lochie_old
  • Lochie_old

Fudging Boring Idiots

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 May 2009 - 10:33 PM

Just finished reading The Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy, brutal f*cking read. It's about a kid who joins one of the most notorious scalper gangs in history. It gives you a whole different view on the wild west, the racism, the wars and so much more.

I'm going to read another book of his called The Road. Wikipedia tells me this;

The Road follows a man and a boy, father and son, journeying together for many months across a post-apocalyptic landscape, some years –after a great, unexplained cataclysm. Civilization has been destroyed, and most species have become extinct. The sun is obscured by dark clouds, and the climate has been altered radically. Plants do not grow. Humanity consists largely of bands of cannibals, and refugee-travelers who scavenge for food.

Sounds very FO3-like.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users