Photo

Beginner's Guide

21 replies to this topic
gamesguru
  • gamesguru

Gone Fishing

• Angels of Death MC
  • England

Posted 04 May 2009 - 10:29 AM Edited by gamesguru, 04 May 2009 - 12:18 PM.

[FAQ To Running A Successful Gang]

Graphics Coming Soon

Content:
>THE BASICS
>DESIGN
>MEMBERS
>GANG PERKS
>ALLIES
>EVENT SECTION
>ADVERTISING
>CONCLUSION

[The Basics]
So you want to start your own new gang in GTAF? Well first of all it would be wise to check out the rules to this section (Forum Guidelines) with the most important one being to not flame and spam other gang's topics; the gang also needs to operate mainly from GTAF itself. So no external gangs whatsoever are allowed here. In addition to this, once you have a gang name, usually gang's put a tag next to their name. For example, The Crook Department's tag is [TCD] and the the Andolini Mafia Family has [AMF]; and these are usually put to the left of the topic title. Another good things to do is create a separate account (preferably as the gang name) that you use to make the gang's opening post(s). This way you can let other users edit and improve the front page; be sure to make reservation posts after the opening post, just in case you run out of space (posts have picture limits etc). Your gang doesn't have to cover all gaming platforms neither, if anything it is good to start on just the one you mainly play on, and once you become stronger it will be safe to expand, especially if their are proven members willing to run another platform for you. One last bit of advice; if you're serious of staying for a serious amount of time, maybe you would want to make a section for your gang over at the Gang Wiki here, and put your gang in the Gang List here.

[Design]
This should be thought out before hand, as it's good to think one step ahead and have a good looking gang immediately. Usually this gathers lots of praise by members therefore giving your gang much needed traffic. Every gang has their own design/theme that is constant throughout their services and graphics. For instance, if you had a gang based around the mafia, you would have graphics that represent that (example); small touches like member titles to accommodate this as well is a good idea (for example, the leader would be called The Godfather). Graphics do not need to be overly extravagant, nor do they need to be flashy. But a professional and tidy layout will equal brownie points among the active members in the Gang Section. Although it is obvious that every gang leader will not have such skills; and that is one reason I highlighted you should have a gang account so others can help. Or you could go to this forum GFX Requests that is full to the brim with talented artist who can make you some really sexy graphics absolutely free!

[Members]
With a new gang, brings brand new members. Usually new members to GTAF try to apply for new gangs (as long running successful gangs have waiting lists and high standards, meaning it's hard to get in). This is usually because they can get in the gang quickly and get a high member spot. It's this reason that many new gangs have lots of members that join and then vanish in a matter of days. So you will need to combat this. First of all, look at other gang's topics and see their method of applying and get ideas from them. Make sure that if someone is joining the gang that they have been on GTAF for some time and are known by at least a few GTAF members. If not, you will have to inflict some rules like many of the bigger gangs do. First off all, don't offer high positions in the gang straight away, be sure to make sure they work for it. Meet up with them regularly (in games) and look at their (leadership) skills and take it from their. Also, it is good to have some form of probation. This is to stop any old random user being in your gang. After they've proven they're loyal to the gang, and are active, then you can promote them to a full gang member. If you find it hard to get members, here is a topic full of applicants: click.

[Gang Perks]
So of course graphics alone aren't going to entice the GTAF members into the gang. So the front page looks nice, but what now? Well it is good to have perks for being in the gang. These can range from a custom Facebook group all the way to a private forum. Use this site to create an amazing website for the gang (click) and here for your own private forum (click). The 'GTA.NETWORK' which includes GTAF has it's own irc server of which you can can use for your gang, which you can check out here. Although sites and the way of communications are just bonuses. It's good to have unique and original things in the gang that haven't been implemented into other gangs yet, so if you have a new idea don't be afraid to use it. And if anything, if another gang also implements it, then it's a form of appreciation and not plain out 'copy catting'; gang awards are an example of this. Members who join gangs more than often will be looking for a gang that is active in a certain game[mode], and to have matches with other clans. If you want to prepare for this, you must make sure you tell people what games you play in the opening post(s) and join clan competitions that take part in the Events Forum here. This will get your gang noticed by other gangs, garnering more traffic and members. This could lead to allies, which is our next section..........

[Allies]
An Allie is a fellow gang that is close to you and will help you out during clan battles and with any other problems you may face. Usually you will be allied by just playing with a gang in a tournament, and then you becoming close friends. Sometimes, your gang doesn't have the sort of chemistry or outlook that other gangs are looking for meaning it's hard to make Allies. On the other hand, you may have a long serving member in your gang which they recognize, and then you could be befriended through them. So what if you're finding it hard to become allies (harder on PSN and WLID due to the lack of people with mics) with a gang? Well there are ways to combat this. First of all, play allot with a specific gang, and take part in their competitions. If possible become friends with some of their members and talk to them on things like MSN and meet up on a game regularly. This way the gang will begin to notice, and acknowledge you. You could also make a post in their topic that is related to their current discussion and worm your way in from their; gradually becoming comfortably with their members. If you still however don't get allied no matter how close you are, make a simple suggestion that you want to become Allies. Just remember to not go into a random gang you have never met before and for example say something on the lines of "hia, guyz. Wanna be allies 4eva?!". This will make you and your gang look unprofessional and distanced form other gangs, as the other gang in question is sure to have allies as well. So anyone they know will be against you as well. What's good about having an Allie as well is that they will give you more traffic. Usually they will put a link to you in their opening post and signatures, meaning people looking for a gang maybe redirected to you that way; and you should also do the same. So overall having an Allie is a good thing. But be warned, if you're deliberately setting out to do this, make sure it's an active well known gang and not a relatively new gang like yours. You could also create enemies, but more often than not this is just for fun and making the gang scene more realistic. For instance, a Triad gang may have a new Yakuza gang down as an enemy. But this is usually out of fun, meaning you might actually have friends in the opposing gang; so don't go in their topic and cause an argument. One rivalry was brought back to life between The Exiles and AOD recently, but even though enemies because if this they have know befriended people in each others gang. So a rivalry can be a healthy thing.

[Event Section]
As already linked, the Event section is relatively new itself but it is a good way to garner attention. Many gangs host their own competitions here. DDZN host their various competitions here, and they are quite famous for them now. So if you was to mention the Turf Wars competition, more often than not a gang member will know what you are talking about. So it's good to run a competition to grab people's attention. It doesn't have to be an original idea however, although you should get more graphics, which means going back to the GFX Forum if needs be. Make sure to update it regularly and keep it neat. If you don't want the burden of making an Event however, maybe a willing gang member will do one for you, thereby proving their relationship with your gang. In addition to this, you can also join other events already running, like the Gang League 2009 which is being run by the Yardies very own Andy Serb. Nearly every well known gang is fighting in this (everyone likes a bit of competition), meaning you will no doubt be taken more seriously by the bigger gangs of GTAF. Also regarding this, if you want to make it apparent that you want matches but don't want to join big competitions and don't have allies either, check here as it's a good way to get other gangs to face you.

[Advertising]
There are many ways to advertise your gang, with Allies being highlighted already as being one of them. Most gangs also have signatures for Allies for them to wear and give you traffic. It is also advised that you have sigs for your own members to brandish. The more active the member the better, as the more they post around the more people that will see and notice your gang. For this reason, make sure the sig explains who/what you are and that they look professional. Another way, is via the GTAFNewsletter. The GTAFNewsletter has over 120+ subscribers and is usually realised every Sunday/Monday; I offer a advertising spot in it for just 2 cookie.gif s. If you want to advertise in the Newsletter, read up about it here, or just PM me your advert to go in the GTAFNewsletter with the payment of 2 cookie.gif s (PM Me). And with so many readers, it is a good way of gathering much needed attention from other users.

[Conclusion]
I know that was a bit lengthy for some, but it is hard to create a successful running gang. With around 95% (made up statistic) of new gangs ending up rotting in the gutter or moving elsewhere. These rules are in-depth as they are, as I want to give the most detailed and helpful advice possible as to avoid such a thing from happening as regularly. It upsets me to see so many promising gangs with good ideas and features being swept aside under the Gang superpowers because members forget the fundamentals. I hope you enjoyed this, and if you didn't read those big ass lumps of text, then check out the links below for simpler and more upfront info in the respected fields.........

[Links]
Looking For A Gang
Gang List
Hall Of Fame
Forum Guidelines
gtawiki for Multiplayer
Gang Matches/Duels
user posted imageuser posted image
[Go To First Unread Post]

MitchJ90
  • MitchJ90

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 04 May 2009 - 10:43 AM Edited by MitchJ90, 04 May 2009 - 12:35 PM.

Good job.

gamesguru
  • gamesguru

Gone Fishing

• Angels of Death MC
  • England

Posted 04 May 2009 - 10:50 AM

No, I don't think so. Just one about the rules. This one is like a tricks of the trade FAQ about how to start and run a successful gang. The ones who read my Newsletter Gang Special would get what I'm trying to do.

I was typing away that red piece of text you see at the top, and then bang, I ended up posting. So yeah, I look like a complete n00b right now. But the final product, which I'm doing right now, is going to be pretty big.

AlexDeLargre
  • AlexDeLargre

AoD Road Captain

• Members

Posted 04 May 2009 - 10:55 AM

Good luck icon14.gif

GTArv
  • GTArv

#

• Members

Posted 04 May 2009 - 11:15 AM

Just a friendly note guru - please keep it very simple. Try to not to include large procedures and lists of pointers. The older one by Damien and Unlimited was unpinned because the staff felt that it hampered the flexibility offered to gangs. I don't want to remove this straight away as I'm sure you've put a considerable amount of effort into it, and atleast give you some time to showcase it. I'd just like to see how this pans out; please don't get me wrong. smile.gif

Tommy-Vercetti19
  • Tommy-Vercetti19

Sure, Grand, No Probs

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 May 2009 - 12:24 PM Edited by Tommy-Vercetti19, 04 May 2009 - 12:26 PM.

Nice read guru, Should really help those newcomers and stop all those bloody recruitment topics.

I'll do some graphics for you very soon. smile.gif

Pr0xy_fl00d3r
  • Pr0xy_fl00d3r

The Droogs, Finally real rapists on the scene.

• Members

Posted 04 May 2009 - 01:19 PM

Good work Guru cookie.gif cookie.gif (Did you accept my advertisements last week? will it appear in the newsletter?)

gamesguru
  • gamesguru

Gone Fishing

• Angels of Death MC
  • England

Posted 04 May 2009 - 01:34 PM

Yes it will. But like I said, I won't release one every week anymore, because I've got other things more important in my life; like my music, education and websites. So I'm really busy this year, so I can't wait for the Summer Holidays to come; then I can just get my head down and work hard.

And thanks for all the positive feedback guys icon14.gif .

Trooper911
  • Trooper911

Soldier

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 04 May 2009 - 01:58 PM

Nice work guru

Trooper pat's guru on the back

dice
  • dice

love_triangle

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 04 May 2009 - 02:03 PM

Everyone should read this. Some of the people who create new gangs, don't put any effort into it

NikoB
  • NikoB

West Side!

• Members

Posted 04 May 2009 - 05:42 PM

Nice one Guru, no f*ckin advertisements now hopefully.

1ManArmy
  • 1ManArmy

Pirate

• Members

Posted 04 May 2009 - 06:13 PM

Wow, nice job guru, hopefully somone will pin this up. Good luck!

Aussiebushmatt
  • Aussiebushmatt

How's that for a slice of fried gold?

• Members

Posted 04 May 2009 - 07:29 PM

Ah, so this is what you were talking about over XBL?
Nicely done cookie.gif

Lochie_old
  • Lochie_old

Fudging Boring Idiots

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:09 AM

Quick skim;

With a new gang, brings brand new members. Usually new members to GTAF try to apply for new gangs (as long running successful gangs have waiting lists and high standards, meaning it's hard to get in). This is usually because they can get in the gang quickly and get a high member spot. It's this reason that many new gangs have lots of members that join and then vanish in a matter of days.

Consider re-wording that, could be off-putting for new members looking to join gangs and also people recruiting members who are new to the forums.

Good job, I'll have a proper read-through later.

TU-Gerrish-FC
  • TU-Gerrish-FC

OVOXO

• Members

Posted 06 May 2009 - 10:04 AM

Good work. Sure this will help many members. icon14.gif cookie.gif

GTArv
  • GTArv

#

• Members

Posted 06 May 2009 - 12:03 PM Edited by GTArv, 06 May 2009 - 12:06 PM.

Nicely done, kudos. smile.gif

I particularly liked the Allies/Enemies part. There are certain things that I don't agree with... but that's just my opinion, some of them too trivial to bother about.
Nonetheless, this is no different than the older thread, I'm afraid a pin wont last for long. All these graphics, websites and such aren't a requirement, and the mods don't want any newbies to get the wrong impression (another example of this would be what Lochie pointed out). Anyway, if anyone wants to go an extra mile and present their gang better, they'll know where to find help. wink.gif

gamesguru
  • gamesguru

Gone Fishing

• Angels of Death MC
  • England

Posted 06 May 2009 - 06:18 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't expect any sort of pinnage, I just wanted to write something up for the Gang community - give something back to the members. I'll be sure to edit it again sometime and make corrections.

Pr0xy_fl00d3r
  • Pr0xy_fl00d3r

The Droogs, Finally real rapists on the scene.

• Members

Posted 09 May 2009 - 10:26 PM

Bump

Why has such a useful topic been let to sink to the bottom?
we need this information visible to new members and people looking to create a gang.

Tommy-Vercetti19
  • Tommy-Vercetti19

Sure, Grand, No Probs

• BUSTED!

Posted 12 June 2009 - 11:37 AM

Bump 2

We can't let such a topic into the bottom of the second page!

Damien.
  • Damien.

Charlies facebook bro

• BUSTED!

Posted 21 June 2009 - 12:39 AM

Awesome topic, could see this coming in handy for any newbies browsing this forum. Shame they don't pin these kinda topics though, guess it's for the same reason Mine and Ryan's got unpinned. sad.gif

GTArv
  • GTArv

#

• Members

Posted 21 June 2009 - 08:52 AM

Now, please avoid bumping unnecessarily. Although this is very well written, I have clearly explained before as to why this cannot be pinned. Feel free to add something to it through your posts if necessary, but avoid pointless bumps.

elbarro
  • elbarro

R-R-ROGER THAT!

• Members

Posted 29 June 2009 - 06:22 PM Edited by elbarro, 29 June 2009 - 06:28 PM.

This is a well written thread!I think you took a good chunk of your time to write this!And to all the people here in gta forums that want to start a gang and need a place to start read the guide it will help more then what people can tell you from the microphone in the game.(SERIOUSLY IM NOT CRAZY)So I give this guide a ten thumbs up!

RATING

icon14.gif icon14.gif icon14.gif icon14.gif icon14.gif icon14.gif icon14.gif icon14.gif icon14.gif icon14.gif

INCREDIBLE

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users