Photo

Claude speaks?

65 replies to this topic
Ilovevicecity324
  • Ilovevicecity324

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 01 May 2009 - 12:15 PM

I found this movie on youtube that I thought was pretty interesting. Apparently, the person who posted the movie, found a part in GTA III where Claude actually does speak in the game at one time. It's where he jacks a car from a person and he says "Get out of the car" when he steals the car. It's right here, I don't know if it's real or fake- but it seemed pretty real to me.

stef_92
  • stef_92

GTA3 Freak

• Members

Posted 01 May 2009 - 04:04 PM

We've been known this video for a long time. And I bet the audio was edited by someone just to conv\fuse the people!

Gundog
  • Gundog

EnTrance

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 01 May 2009 - 04:14 PM

This is already known. It's most likely edited, since the audio is from the car thief ped from GTA2. They most likely used thief voices during VERY VERY early stages of III.

Also, to clear it up. Claude isn't a mute, he just refuses to speak.

bobgtafan
  • bobgtafan

The last thing you never see

• Members

Posted 02 May 2009 - 10:03 PM

QUOTE (Gundog @ May 1 2009, 16:14)
This is already known. It's most likely edited, since the audio is from the car thief ped from GTA2. They most likely used thief voices during VERY VERY early stages of III.

Then why did Carl call him a snake tonuged mute?

stef_92
  • stef_92

GTA3 Freak

• Members

Posted 02 May 2009 - 10:49 PM

Because he wanted to make him angry

Gundog
  • Gundog

EnTrance

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 02 May 2009 - 11:03 PM

QUOTE (bobgtafan @ May 2 2009, 22:03)
QUOTE (Gundog @ May 1 2009, 16:14)

Then why did Carl call him a snake tonuged mute?

Tell me, since when is an uneducated gang banger's foul mouth called proof?

Jesus, Carl saw the guy for 5 seconds, and after those 5 seconds, he sh*t himself and ran away. He called him a "mute asshole" simply because the two never engaged in a conversation.

Dark_side646
  • Dark_side646

Prankster

• Members

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:23 PM Edited by Dark_side646, 14 May 2009 - 06:34 PM.

CJ called him "mute" because he was angry at Claude for screwing him up and giving him a run-down pile-up in place of a garage, like CJ was promised. Like Gundog said, it was CJ's foul-mouthing because he was angry at Claude. Is that a "concrete proof" of Claude being mute? Hell of a proof you got there R*.

DiscoverProject
  • DiscoverProject

Exploring San Andreas Since 2004

• Members

Posted 14 May 2009 - 07:31 PM

I don't know if he is a mute or not. When he gets hit by a car, you can hear him getting hit by it. A simple gasp. But I don't know why R* didn't put Claude in the credits. Whats his face played Tommy in Vice City and that same guy did the yelling, getting hit by car, gasping or whatever that's not in a cut scene and same with San Andreas relating to Carl.

Dark_side646
  • Dark_side646

Prankster

• Members

Posted 15 May 2009 - 09:53 AM

I guess they could only put him in the credits if he had done some actual talking. Thats the same reason why the Old Oriental Gentleman (Donald Love's friend) wasn't put in the credits either. Besides, I hardly think R* would say "Special thanks to Mr. xyz for taking some time and gasping for us".

As for Tommy and CJ, not only were their shouts of pain (when they fall or get hit) more vocal but they have actual voice actors who actually talk in the cutscenes. Something I don't remember Claude's voice-actor (if any) to be doing.

GamerShotgun
  • GamerShotgun

The main protagonist.

• Members

Posted 15 May 2009 - 02:50 PM

I always thought Claude is mute in III because Catalina shot him confused.gif

Dark_side646
  • Dark_side646

Prankster

• Members

Posted 15 May 2009 - 03:11 PM

QUOTE (MasterK @ May 15 2009, 14:50)
I always thought Claude is mute in III because Catalina shot him  confused.gif

Ineresting. Did she shoot him in SA too? suicidal.gif

DiscoverProject
  • DiscoverProject

• Members

Posted 15 May 2009 - 03:46 PM

QUOTE (Dark_side646 @ May 15 2009, 09:53)
I guess they could only put him in the credits if he had done some actual talking. Thats the same reason why the Old Oriental Gentleman (Donald Love's friend) wasn't put in the credits either. Besides, I hardly think R* would say "Special thanks to Mr. xyz for taking some time and gasping for us".

As for Tommy and CJ, not only were their shouts of pain (when they fall or get hit) more vocal but they have actual voice actors who actually talk in the cutscenes. Something I don't remember Claude's voice-actor (if any) to be doing.

It would be nice if I actually work R* and tell you guys around here. I bet I would be pretty popular. But if I would get fired giving out any information.

Gundog
  • Gundog

EnTrance

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 19 May 2009 - 04:31 PM

He most likely is capable of audible speech, but probably can't be arsed to do so. Can't it be simple as that?

Like "Last Requests" for example, when Maria told him she sold him out, he wanted to ask why, and even spread his hands in curiosity, but Maria told him not to ask before he had a chance to do so.

He is a talking character, although he just doesn't talk?

It's kinda stupid to come up with crazy theories like Catalina's gunshot destroyed his voice box, or that someone cut his tongue off.

There is proof for both of these. First off, Catalina says "I left you pouring your heart out in the gutter!", which clearly means she shot him in the chest/heart. Second, wouldn't he have a huge scar on his neck if he was shot in the neck?

For the tongue amputation... Well, he wouldn't be able to grunt and moan when he falls or gets shot if he didn't have a tongue, now would he?

You just have to THINK to clear these silly theories.

Dark_side646
  • Dark_side646

Prankster

• Members

Posted 19 May 2009 - 06:45 PM Edited by Dark_side646, 19 May 2009 - 07:31 PM.

I hardly consider someone avoiding something so common like speech to be simple. When it comes to theories, saying that "he can't be arsed to talk" is like saying speech is a burden and people should avoid it. Also, I believe grunts aren't made through the tongue but through the larynx/voice box/throat/whatever. If mutes can't grunt, does this mean that they can't breathe?

As for Maria's line then a desparate plea from a scared girl who screwed Claude up big time holds as much credit as the foul-mouthing of a guy who Claude screwed up big time. Oh, and shouldn't her line in Chatterbox (He's always working and 'hangin out' with guys) account for something?

Now, Claude obeys the person, who kills his chances of being a made-man in Portland's most powerful gang (with a lie, for that matter), to not even question her actions; let alone drag her to Sal and make her spit out the truth. Not only that, he gets multiple chances of saying,"FU Catalina" or "Shut up Maria" (I mean, who wouldn't) but doesn't. In this case, it'll be right to say that he DOES have a tongue but lacks a brain and is intimidated by both women. I'd like to think otherwise, since it gives him some credibility.

You theory holds credit, no doubt about that. Our theories are like Darwinism. There's no proof either way but it helps us understand things better.

DiscoverProject
  • DiscoverProject

• Members

Posted 19 May 2009 - 06:49 PM

QUOTE (DiscoverProject @ May 15 2009, 15:46)
QUOTE (Dark_side646 @ May 15 2009, 09:53)

It would be nice if I actually work R* and tell you guys around here. I bet I would be pretty popular. But if I would get fired giving out any information.

Anybody have a clue what I said?

atsike7
  • atsike7

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 19 May 2009 - 06:56 PM

QUOTE (Dark_side646 @ May 15 2009, 17:11)

You could only see Claude in SA very short time and why would he even speak and with who? Maybe he could talk in SA... sly.gif

DiscoverProject
  • DiscoverProject

• Members

Posted 19 May 2009 - 06:59 PM

QUOTE (atsike7 @ May 19 2009, 18:56)
QUOTE (Dark_side646 @ May 15 2009, 17:11)

You could only see Claude in SA very short time and why would he even speak and with who? Maybe he could talk in SA... sly.gif

Yes, when I first played it I hoped that Claude would speak to CJ or Catalina, but I didn't know he's name was Claude until she phoned CJ later in the game. But I already knew that before it came out.

Dark_side646
  • Dark_side646

Prankster

• Members

Posted 19 May 2009 - 07:28 PM Edited by Dark_side646, 19 May 2009 - 07:39 PM.

QUOTE (atsike7 @ May 19 2009, 18:56)

Well, there are some people in SA that get very little screen time and still talk. Cesar's homies, Woozies minions etc. What was stopping Claude? Cat was his g/f, I see no reason for him to not talk to her. Also, a scene where Claude promptly threatens CJ and asks him to shut the hell up for mocking him, would seem to fit as well. At least the people who worship Claude and hate CJ would actually welcome such a scene with open hands IMO.
Anyways, what I'm saying is that there were occasions for him to talk in SA. Hence, I don't believe him being shot in III has anything to do with his silence.

Gundog
  • Gundog

EnTrance

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 19 May 2009 - 07:50 PM

QUOTE (Dark_side646 @ May 19 2009, 18:45)
I hardly consider someone avoiding something so common like speech to be simple. When it comes to theories, saying that "he can't be arsed to talk" is like saying speech is a burden and people should avoid it. Also, I believe grunts aren't made through the tongue but through the larynx/voice box/throat/whatever. If mutes can't grunt, does this mean that they can't breathe?

As for Maria's line then a desparate plea from a scared girl who screwed Claude up big time holds as much credit as the foul-mouthing of a guy who Claude screwed up big time. Oh, and shouldn't her line in Chatterbox (He's always working and 'hangin out' with guys) account for something?

Now, Claude obeys the person, who kills his chances of being a made-man in Portland's most powerful gang (with a lie, for that matter), to not even question her actions; let alone drag her to Sal and make her spit out the truth. Not only that, he gets multiple chances of saying,"FU Catalina" or "Shut up Maria" (I mean, who wouldn't) but doesn't. In this case, it'll be right to say that he DOES have a tongue but lacks a brain and is intimidated by both women. I'd like to think otherwise, since it gives him some credibility.

You theory holds credit, no doubt about that. Our theories are like Darwinism. There's no proof either way but it helps us understand things better.

There's many silent characters in video games, and all, well, most of them prove that they can talk.

He just does not talk. It's as simple as that.

You do have a good point, and maybe I should rephrase my "can't be arsed" quote.

He doesn't. He doesn't want to. He lets his actions speak for him.

Dark_side646
  • Dark_side646

Prankster

• Members

Posted 19 May 2009 - 08:53 PM

QUOTE (Gundog @ May 19 2009, 19:50)
There's many silent characters in video games, and all, well, most of them prove that they can talk.

He just does not talk. It's as simple as that.

You do have a good point, and maybe I should rephrase my "can't be arsed" quote.

He doesn't. He doesn't want to. He lets his actions speak for him.

Fair enough.

ClaudeSpeed_ToniLeonefan1
  • ClaudeSpeed_ToniLeonefan1

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 October 2010 - 09:20 AM

I suppose if R* wanted Claude to talk they would of hired an actor for him, they didn't meaning that he wasn't gonna make a whole lot of difference if he did speak.

Dark_side646
  • Dark_side646

Prankster

• Members

Posted 07 October 2010 - 12:45 PM

It might have been nice if R* had at least shown him talking in his cameo in SA. I don't mean to imply that he should be shown speaking a lot or anything but at least some sort of hint to confirm that he could talk. Like maybe showing him speaking to Catalina in such a way that we don't get to hear his voice but are able to see his lips move. That would've been nice. Frankly speaking, I fully agree with CJ when he called Claude a mute.

cidamelo
  • cidamelo

RIP Amy WINEHOUSE!GRANT RODIEK is back to the EA GAMES!&

• Members
  • None
  • Comedian of the Year 2010

Posted 07 October 2010 - 11:11 PM

I think Claude can speak, as seen in GTA 2 Trailer, but he is too cool to talk dozingoff.gif And I like CJ, but I think he was very ridiculous when he called Claude a mute asshole and a snake without a tongue. Dark_side646 do you think Claude is gay? You said about Maria saying "he is always hanging out with the guys". Obviously, I don't think Claude is gay, but I admit I find this strange.

Dark_side646
  • Dark_side646

Prankster

• Members

Posted 07 October 2010 - 11:32 PM

And I like CJ, but I think he was very ridiculous when he called Claude a mute

Whats so ridiculous? CJ is as much a GTA character as Claude. If it were any other game, I wouldn't believe it but since R* were the ones who made that scene and who made CJ call Claude a mute is why I believe it. Why else would R* make CJ call Claude a mute if even they believed that Claude wasn't a mute? You don't usually go around insulting someone by calling them mutes. I'm not stating this as a proof, I'm just acting on an assumption since it doesn't seem to fit that CJ would call Claude mute just for the hell of it.

do you think Claude is gay?

No I don't. There's no proof of it just like there is no proof of Tommy being gay either (like it or not).
I only brought that up in a discussion with some people who kept insisting that Maria telling Lazlow that Claude "don't talk too much" proves that he can talk. So I countered this argument by asking whether Maria wondering why Claude hangs out with guys proves that he's gay.

cidamelo
  • cidamelo

RIP Amy WINEHOUSE!GRANT RODIEK is back to the EA GAMES!&

• Members
  • None
  • Comedian of the Year 2010

Posted 07 October 2010 - 11:49 PM

Dark_side646 I think CJ called him that way because he doesn't talk to much, and it was a way to offend him. My older son, some years ago didn't liked to talk to much, and people criticized him as a mute. monocle.gif But I don't know, I thought hang out was just going for a walk, like when Niko hang out with Roman or Packie. But I don't know English too much.

Dark_side646
  • Dark_side646

Prankster

• Members

Posted 08 October 2010 - 12:14 AM Edited by Dark_side646, 08 October 2010 - 07:24 AM.

QUOTE (cidamelo @ Oct 7 2010, 23:49)
I think CJ called him that way because he doesn't talk to much, and it was a way to offend him.

CJ called Claude a mute when he arrived at the run-down garage. By that time, Claude was far away from SF. So how could he offend Claude when he wasn't there? Seriously, why would R* make CJ call him a mute multiple times if they didn't want to leave this as a hint of Claude being mute? They could've made him simply say ,"That @$$hole, That ****ing snake" and it would still imply that CJ was insulting Claude because he was angry at him.
Like I said, you don't call usually someone a mute as a a way to insult him/her. Take for example the fact that I supported Netherlands in the FIFA world cup this year. Beacuse they lost to Spain, I don't go around saying, "I hate those mutes from Spain" because they're clearly not mutes. It doesn't make any sense, like it did in Claude's case.

QUOTE (cidamelo @ Oct 7 2010, 23:11)
I think Claude can speak, as seen in GTA 2 Trailer, but he is too cool to talk

What does that even mean? Speaking is a common ability of every human being, who isn't a mute. Look around you. Everyone, who can talk, will talk. Speech is the oldest and the most common form of communication without which we humans wouldn't be much different from animals. Some may talk less but they still talk, don't they? Claude (from the GTA3 era) never talks, even at times when he should have. How does that make him cool if his refusal to talk only increases his problems? What kind of an idiot refuses to talk because he "just doesn't want to" (as most people claim)? Why does he just not want to?
If you see a guy wearing sunglasses all the time and feeling his way around with a walking stick, you call that man blind. You don't say that he can see but he's too "cool" for it sarcasm.gif or that he can see but "just doesn't want to". It make no sense. Also, its your choice but if you think GTA3 Claude is also the GTA2 Claude then remember that he dies in GTA2. wink.gif

QUOTE (cidamelo @ Oct 7 2010, 23:49)
I thought hang out was just going for a walk

I don't remember Claude going for a walk with anybody. Also "don't talk too much" would mean that he doesn't talk at all, not that he does talk but not too much. Especially since Maria never saw him talk in the first place.

Zedo Mann
  • Zedo Mann

Everyday I'm hustlin'!

• Members

Posted 08 October 2010 - 12:33 AM

When they made GTA III they were just starting with the series and giving the protagonist any real character or voice probably wasn't one of their priories at that time.
And then they obviously just went with it and kept it as a running joke (or maybe Claude really is a mute).

So when they made references to him in San Andreas they made sure to include information about Claude not talking...ever.

Dark_side646
  • Dark_side646

Prankster

• Members

Posted 08 October 2010 - 06:54 AM

QUOTE (Zedo Mann @ Oct 8 2010, 00:33)
So when they made references to him in San Andreas they made sure to include information about Claude not talking...ever.

I wish they didn't, though. If Claude wasn't supposed to be a mute, then his portrayal as one in SA seems stupid. Unlike CJ, nobody was shown wanting to talk to him in GTA3. They just kept giving him orders as if he were a pet. His silence during his encounter with CJ was bad but the scene where CJ curses him and calls him a mute afterwards was worse. I really hate the way R* keep everyone in the dark. Why can't they just confirm it in their FAQs page like they confirmed Vic's death?

James_Earl_Cash
  • James_Earl_Cash

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 08 October 2010 - 07:43 AM

QUOTE (Dark_side646 @ Oct 8 2010, 00:14)
Also, its your choice but if you think GTA3 Claude is also the GTA2 Claude then remember that he dies in GTA2. wink.gif

Rubbish. That is completely unproven, given that when he "dies" in GTA2 gameplay, whether by drowning, burning, electrocution, or shooting (as seen in the movie), he respawns at the hospital.

Also, notice that on the GTA games past GTA2, the hospital tutorials never mention death. They always say "passed out" or "unconscious".

Dark_side646
  • Dark_side646

Prankster

• Members

Posted 08 October 2010 - 09:03 AM Edited by Dark_side646, 08 October 2010 - 09:07 AM.

Rubbish. That is completely unproven, given that when he "dies" in GTA2 gameplay, whether by drowning, burning, electrocution, or shooting (as seen in the movie), he respawns at the hospital.

Its not rubbish. I'm not talking about the game, I'm talking about the intro movie. cidamelo said that Claude spoke in GTA2, which clearly means that she was referring to the movie (not the game) and in that movie Claude was indeed killed in the end. If we were discussing the game, she wouldn't have said that Claude speaks in GTA2 since he never spoke a single word in the game. Also, if he were to respawn in the hospital at the end of the movie, it wasn't shown so I'm not believing it.

Also, notice that on the GTA games past GTA2, the hospital tutorials never mention death. They always say "passed out" or "unconscious".

I'm not talking about GTA games past GTA2, I'm talking about GTA2 itself. Considering that its game-over if you get wasted when your life multiplier is 0, I believe that it is indeed possible for Claude Speed to die in GTA2 (and not respawn again in the hospital), just like he dies in the movie.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users