23 replies to this topic
Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:48 AM

A revised thread for lovers of BLUES music, let's hear it ya'll

Pre Beatles, Pre Stones, Pre WHO, Pre Elvis.....

Who are you diggin now?

nrt4
  • nrt4

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 April 2009 - 03:17 PM

Its great. We wouldnt have had Rock music without it. Without the blues we wouldnt have many of the music we have today.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 30 April 2009 - 05:31 PM Edited by Slamman, 30 April 2009 - 05:34 PM.

Muddy Waters "Invented electricity", Willie Dixon (wrote half the Zep catalog), of course, the above quote from Crossroads celebrates Robert Johnson
The Stones Mick and Kieth met because one of them had a handful of blues records they had just purchased and struck up a mutual bond.

Of course many others of. Don't mix up jazz though, the earlier you go with blues, it tends to intermingle with jazz which I'm not entirely sure about which has been around longer.

nrt4
  • nrt4

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 May 2009 - 10:18 PM

QUOTE (Slamman @ Apr 30 2009, 17:31)
Muddy Waters "Invented electricity", Willie Dixon (wrote half the Zep catalog), of course, the above quote from Crossroads celebrates Robert Johnson
The Stones Mick and Kieth met because one of them had a handful of blues records they had just purchased and struck up a mutual bond.

Of course many others of. Don't mix up jazz though, the earlier you go with blues, it tends to intermingle with jazz which I'm not entirely sure about which has been around longer.

The Rolling Stones were named after a Muddy Waters tune.
Eric Clapton's 60s stuff were blues-rock at its best (other than SRV)

The Band (yes thats a actually band bane) backed up Dylan on his first electric tour and later made the perfect mix of influences based on the blues.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 02 May 2009 - 07:15 AM

The Band, the actually name. Yep, as I mentioned, famed drummer of theirs joins Timothy B. Schmit on his upcoming solo record, should be out in the fall.

The Band ALSO played at Woodstock 1994 with special guests, it was terrific stuff. I'm not a big fan of theirs, but just like Dylan at Woodstock, it was pure music!!... As I mentioned an Eagles member, I would be amiss in not mentioning how influential Mr. BB King was to a very young Don Felder, who got to meet his idol in the 1960s

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [GTAF]
    Contribution Award [Gen Chat]

Posted 31 December 2010 - 09:20 PM Edited by tripmills, 31 December 2010 - 09:23 PM.

There are few things I love more than bumping a thread Slamman started.

My wife is downstairs listening to Koko Taylor. My wife listens to music at an amazing volume. Koko and Edda James are without a doubt my top 2 favorite blues ladies*.

I just picked a known song. I don't even know the name of the track I'm digging that is playing now downstairs, and I doubt it would be avail on youtube.

*I don't class my girl ,Janis, as a classic blues singer.

Edit:
no f*cking way!!! the second i posted this a killer version of wang dang doodle started playing from downstairs.

RobsEpicFret
  • RobsEpicFret

A man can be Destroyed,but not Defeated.

• Members

Posted 24 January 2011 - 09:45 PM

I Love this Genre not only Blues Rock but BLUES!
without this there wouldn't be alot of the best solos in rock history
Alot of Guitar Solos use Blues Scales.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:14 PM

I was playing my 4 disc Live Aid DVD and enjoying that again, there's bonus live material on disc 4 that includes some great BB King.
In Eagles' Don Felder's book about his life and the band, he relates a time in the 60s he went out of his way to see BB King and try and meet him. I never saw him live, but it's amazing how long and influential his career in music has been, that he's not hiding away but constantly playing the music he loves in front of a crowd!

Rokas.
  • Rokas.

play it f*cking loud

• Members

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:51 PM

Blues is THE sh*t! It's one of those genres that made all other genres so good.
so here we go, some roots:

I dig bob dylan stuff, but I think his blues are better than his folk songs

and there are a lot of blues-rock songs to post, but I dig this one from the beatles (demo):

Great topic, cheers.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

"Spooked ya!"

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 14 July 2011 - 11:52 PM

I know you mentioned Blues before Zeppelin and stuff but this first video is possibly one of the best performances I've seen in my life. My friends and I used to always get totally baked out and either watch this or sit in my mates garage smoking bucket bongs bopping our heads to this. f*cking excellent! Doesn't get old! Trying not bopping your head to this is futile.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:15 PM

Ima bump this due to the fact, the whole section here is lacking in activity, I'd like to see all the genres getting their fair due out of you (the GTA crew)
Anywho....

I was just watching the Blues Brothers again, parts of it, it also takes you back in time, and it was a bit surprising as I forgot the start of that movie!! haha

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

"Spooked ya!"

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:51 PM

I love this..

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

The idiots are taking over

• Members
  • Somalia

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:01 PM

To my knowledge, I can't say I have listened to that much Blues over the years, but one band that I do love listening to are The Doors. So many great tracks.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:28 PM

the blues is - by far - my favorite kind of music.
and I'm the type of person who listens to virtually every genre of music too. if you went through my iPod (about 19,000 songs) you'd find at least one album dedicated to every kind of music you can think of. from Mozart and Beethoven to Lil' Wayne and dubstep, inbetween some Johnny Cash and Black Flag, nestled amongst some Pink Floyd and Joe Satriani. I could go on of course, the point being that I can enjoy anything as long as the music itself is GOOD. the style is less important than the sound and feeling created by the music, and good is good no matter what style.

but with that said, in my humble opinion the blues is still the most raw and pure form of musical expression we have today.
this isn't to say that other forms of music can't be highly creative and expressive, but in terms of how the artists performs that music, blues musicians tend to play with more soul and passion and emotion than anyone else.

all the flashy laser shows and backup dancers and costume changes in the world (I'm looking at you Gaga) cannot make up for the lack of soul in your vapid pop-tart songs.
pop music might be fun but eventually everyone needs to grow up. pop music is not going to get you through a divorce or a 2nd mortgage or the death of a loved one. blues is the only true savior of the human spirit; the only real salvation for your soul. if you're an adult who does not appreciate blues music then you're most likely a very boring person who has never experienced any hardship or struggle.

now... since people already posted some old blues, I'll go with some new blues.
my favorite modern group is The Black Keys. they are EASILY the single best new band of my generation. they just ooze passion and feeling through the intensity and grit of their playing and singing. their music transports me to a time and place deep within my psyche where no other artist can venture.

there was a period for about 10 years in the 90's when I was feeling very pessimistic about music and the industry.
when I discovered the Keys it was like being reborn. they completely restored my faith in young people and the direction of our pop culture. because if something like this can still emerge from beneath all the Britney's and Justin's and Rhianna's then the hope is still alive that real music is not dead. whenever I turn someone else onto the Keys their reaction is always the same. I honestly believe that if this kind of music doesn't get to you, then you're less of a human tounge2.gif

and to think; this experience is created by just 2 guys. 1 guitar and 1 set of drums. f*ckin' amazing.
just turn it up - I mean really turn it up - put on those headphones, close your eyes, and let it take you away...

so epic it hurts.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:45 PM

I think it was Richard Wright (RIP) of Pink Floyd who referred to himself as a "jazzo", in Nick Mason's book, he's seen with a saxophone, it was a bit of jazz fusion as well that came into their sound, but on early bootlegs, the title BLUES" came up a lot, and generically so, as far as titles for songs that were mostly or entirely instrumental

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

"Spooked ya!"

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:29 AM

QUOTE (Butters 2011 @ Friday, Apr 20 2012, 23:01)
To my knowledge, I can't say I have listened to that much Blues over the years, but one band that I do love listening to are The Doors. So many great tracks.

Hear, hear.

Their last album, L.A. Woman is really bluesy. Jim Morrison heard Robbie Krieger play slide or bottleneck guitar and loved it so much he always got Robbie to play it.

Most of their tracks have some blues in there but this song I'm posting would be strictly more more obviously bluesy.

Xcommunicated
  • Xcommunicated

A Stitch in Time C9

• United-States

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:53 AM

Yeah, L.A. Woman basically is a blues album.

Blues is easily the most influential genre there is, because if it weren't for the blues, so many things would never have happened. I'd be so bold as to say that if you don't at least have an appreciation of this genre, then chances are you don't have a very strong sense of rhythm.

There are a lot of great blues musicians in the early/mid 20th century that laid the ground work for rock. To name a few

Later, Johnny Winter came along

The Allman Brothers Band

I could go on and on, but I suppose for newer stuff The White Stripes are worth a mention. Very crude and rough around the edges, and straight blues just the same.

One of my personal favs, Down, has some good blues driven tracks as well

And to finish this off, some Thorogood. I dedicate this one to you, Slamman.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

"Spooked ya!"

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:26 AM

I love 'Who Do You Love' by Bo Diddley. Nice choice.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [GTAF]
    Contribution Award [Gen Chat]

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:21 PM

The all time best little Jewish guy from New York who can wail the blues. David Bromberg.

Sorry for the video having an add in the beginning(add doesn't seem to show up on the embeded version cool.gif ). It's the only studio version I could find on YT. Although, I did have a sense of pride since all the live versions out there are from when he visits this neck of the woods.

AnotherDave
  • AnotherDave

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:54 PM

The blues is music.

Mar.K
  • Mar.K

Hitman

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:56 PM

How about some Blue Jeans Blues, what do ya say?

Saw ZZ Top live few years back on their 2010 World Tour.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:46 AM

You weren't too young to get in? haha
The song was covered by the one, the only, Jeff Healey (Band) Since he's blind, all the more COOL factor!

Mar.K
  • Mar.K

Hitman

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:58 AM Edited by Markwey, 22 April 2012 - 10:02 AM.

^
Haha, nope :-D
Was 17 at the time.
I don't think there is an age limit for ZZ Top concerts, well, in some concerts in certain places there might be.

Brown Sugar
  • Brown Sugar

turnt up

• Members
  • Ethiopia

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:42 PM

I can't think of anyhting else I'd rather listen to than some good blues harmonica. Howlin wolf, Muddy Waters and BB King are some well known blues artists that I like but something some people don't know is that Brian Jones and Mick Jagger were great blues harp players. The Rolling Stones' early covers of blues songs is what got me into loving the blues in the first place.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users