Grand Theft Auto Las Venturas is set in the fictional Las Venturas County, San Andreas during 1977. The county is made up of mostly dry arid desert with a small area of forest surrounding Mount Carolina, the highest point in the county, located north-west of Las Venturas. Other notable landmarks include the Sherman Dam to the east of the county, The Lost City of San Andreas to the north and Red Falls Springs.
Las Venturas is the county seat and the largest city. Other locations within Las Venturas County include:
- Rock City (Boulder City)
- Founded in 1932 to house labourers working on the nearby Sherman Dam, Rock City has since grown into a thriving community. Despite it's close proximity to Las Venturas the city forbids gambling and prostitution; the only location in Las Venturas County to do so.
Rock City houses most of the Las Venturas work force who commute between the cities on a daily basis. It is regarded as a more humble, family-friendly substitute to the glitz and glam of Las Venturas. The majority of Rock City's income comes from tourism - flouting itself as "The Backbone of Las Venturas" due to it's strong work ethic and history.
- Clarkson is a large industrial city on the outskirts of Las Venturas. It was responsible for 60% of the America's magnesium supplies during World War II and was a key component in the victory over Hitler and the Nazis. At the end of the war, however, Clarkson suffered a massive set back when the need for magnesium dropped significantly.
The large factories were eventually bought by the government who helped prevent Clarkson from becoming war surplus property. Magnesium production began again and rose steadily over the decades. Since then Clarkson have developed into a bustling city which boasts major shopping malls, movie theater complexes, restaurants and casino resorts.
- A quiet little town located on the northern tip of Las Venturas County, Muskrat is currently experiencing a massive economic growth. This is thanks to real-estate tycoon and media mogul, Waldorf Meyer, who has moved into the quaint little town and plans to turn it into a major tourist destination that would rival Las Venturas.
- Red Falls (Indian Springs)
- Named after the nearby Red Falls Springs, the town is home to the Red Falls Air Force Auxiliary Field which lies within the Nelson Air Force Range. Nearby attractions include the San Andreas Test Site - a nuclear proving ground - and the strange and mysterious Area 69.
- Built by the United States Department of Energy, Venus lies within the San Andreas Test Site, and houses the areas employees. The village is off-limit to members of the public.
- Located between Rock City and Clarkson, Torchlight was once home to a massive gold boom which saw the town expand to exponential sizes. At one point Torchlight boasted a population that rivaled Las Venturas' though it's popularity waned when the gold ore deposits ran dry. It now acts as a resting stop for people traveling between the two major cities and offers a large amount of low-cost motels and hotel suites.
- Situated due north of the Sherman Dam, Underton is home to a large public airport, the largest of it's kind in the badlands. It is believed to be used by drug traffickers to move narcotics in and out of county though county police have dismissed these claims as "depressing."
Underton is also situated near the famous "Lost City" of San Andreas, a Ancient Indian Village that has since been abandoned and turned into a tourist destination. The town also homes the Lost City Museum, built to house artifacts taken from the site. It is also the southern most town in the Muddy Valley that stretches down from Muddy Waters.
- Shawdale is the home of the Las Venturas County Fair and Rodeo, an annual event that draws a large crowd from around the county. It is also the location of the Mongrels M.C. Clubhouse, the biggest outlaw motorcycle gang in the county as well as Vinnie's Auto-Parts Garage.
- Named after the Muddy River that flows through into the Muddy Valley, Muddy Waters is a small village that doesn't ask much for much in terms of excitement or attractions.
- Situated at the base of Mt. Carolina, from which it takes its name, Mount Carolina is a quiet mountain retreat popular with tourists and natives alike. It houses many hiking trails and campsites as well as a array of authentic rustic cabins and hotels.
Payphones and Contacts
- Cellphones weren't invented in 1977 and so they do not feature in GTA LV. Instead there are numerous payphones dotted around the county which act as your major means of communication with the rest of the world.
To use a payphone simply walk up to it and press triangle. A small black book will appear in the bottom right hand corner of your screen with the names and numbers of all your contacts. Scroll up and down using the directional buttons and use the X button to select which person you want to call.
Sometimes you will approach a payphone and it will already be ringing. This signals and incoming call which will initiate a mission. Pick up the phone to begin the mission or alternatively hold down triangle when nearby to ignore the call and make one of your own.
- There are several stores located across Las Venturas County that you are able to rob. To initiate a robbery simply walk into the shop and point your gun at the cashier. A bar will appear in the top right hand corner of the screen, indicating the cashier's fear level. The longer you hold up the store, the higher their fear level will rise, and the more money you will receive. Push the cashier too far, however, and they will set off the alarm and then you'll have the cops to deal with.
- General Store - 1 Star
- Betting Shop - 2 Star
- Jewelery Shop - 3 Star
- Bank - 4 Star
Different weapons yield different results - holding up a store with a assault rifle will be more successful than holding up the same store with a handgun, though it will raise the cashier's fear level faster.
There are five different types of store to rob, each with a different pay-off and Wanted Level if caught:
- A good percentage of your funds in Grand Theft Auto Las Venturas will come from extorting small businesses around the county. To extort a business simply walk into the store and talk to the shop owner by pressing the triangle button.
A fear meter will appear in the top right hand corner of the screen; raise it to a high enough level and the shop owner will give in and start paying you protection money. Push him too far though and he will fight back, forcing you to come back later and try again.
If you rob a store you are supposed to protecting then they will stop paying you protection money and you will have to go in and extort them again.
- What would Las Venturas be without legalized gambling? Another dusty desert town, that's what! There are several gambling venues dotted around the county; from the mega casinos in Las Venturas to the more humble gambling dens of Clarkson. Each one offers a variety of different casino games including:
- Texas Hold 'Em Poker
- Slot Machines
- Big Six Wheel
- Johnny Sorrentino is known throughout Liberty City for his silver tongue. He is said to be able to talk his way out of any situation and the game play in Grand Theft Auto Las Venturas reflects this. Random pedestrians will try to start conversation with Johnny on the streets and you are in-control of how he reacts.
When a pedestrian talks to Johnny locking onto them will activate the grifting side-game. Using the left analogue stick Johnny can reply in one of four ways: Positive, Negative, Serious and Sarcastic. There are of course different combination, allowing for differing responses.
Depending on how Johnny reacts to the person in question he can receive different benefits or consequences. Sometimes Johnny will be able to sweet talk his way into a few dollars or a woman's knickers though he can also get himself in trouble; starting fights and angering people. Keep your ears peeled, some people have useful information that will help you out during the course of the game.
- Game Modes
- Team Deathmatch
- Chop Till You Drop: Similar too Car Jack City from GTA IV. Vinnie Tyler wants cars for his chop shop business and it's up to you too get them for him. Bring vehicles back to his garage in Shawdale in order to earn cash (price paid depends on vehicle and condition). Vinnie will tell also you about specific cars dotted around Las Venturas; these cars bring in a significantly higher price then regular cars and are much sought after. Be the first to nab them and earn yourself a hefty cash bonus. The person with the most money at the end of the round wins.
- Team Chop Till You Drop
- Smuggler's Run: The Mongrels need their narcotics moved across Las Venturas and you're just the man for the job! Pick up the package of drugs and transport it to the drop-off zone in order to earn money. Be warned though; other players will try and kill you in order to claim the courier charge for themselves. The winner is the person with the most money at the end of the round.
- Team Smuggler's Run
- Deal of the Century: The NeXt equivalent to Deal Breaker. In Deal of the Century (DotC) you and your team of four must perform a successful drug deal with the other team. You will spawn at one end of the map and must meet the other team in the middle - once there though the deal goes sour and you're forced to fight for your lives! Steal the drugs and money and take it back to your safehouse in order to win.
Admiral: W123 Mercedes-Benz E-Class
Ambulance: '70s Ambulances
Banshee: AC Cobra
Blista Compact: Honda CVCC
Bobcat: Chevy Luv
Boxville: GMC Grumman, still.
Bravura: '73 Pontiac Gran Prix
Buccaneer: '72 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
Buffalo: Chevy Camaro Z28
Bug: VW Beetle *NEW VEHICLE*
Bullet: Ford GT40
Burrito: '70s Dodge "Party Van"
Bus: GMC Bus
Cabby: Checker Marathon
Chavos: '77 Toyota Cressida
Cheetah: '77 Ferrari 512 BB
Club: MK1 VW Golf
Cognoscenti: W100 Mercedes-Benz 600
Comet: Porsche 911 Turbo
Contender: second gen Chevy C-10
Coquette: Corvette Stingray
Dukes: Same as in GTA IV
Eleonor: Shelby GT 500 *NEW VEHICLE*
Elegy: Datsun 260Z
Emperor: Same as in GTA IV but with minor changes.
Esperanto: '67 Cadillac El Dorado
Feltzer: '73 Mercedes-Benz SL
Flash: '77 Triumph TR7
Futo:'76 Toyota Corolla Sedan
Futo GT: TE-27 Toyota Corolla SR5
Goblin: AMC Gremlin *NEW VEHICLE*
Greenwood: '77 Dodge Monaco
Hakumai: Honda Accord
Hellfury: 70s chopper
Huntley: Range Rover
Infernus: Lamborghini Countach
Ingot: Datsun 510 Wagon
Intruder: 67 Ford Galaxie 500
Jester: '74 Plymouth Road Runner
Landstalker: '73 GMC Surburban
Lokus: Datsun Bluebird SSS Coupe
Love Wagon: VW Bus *NEW VEHICLE*
Manana: Same as in GTA IV
Marbelle: Same as in GTA IV
Merit: '77 Chevorlet Impala
Mesa: Jeep CJ
Mr. Tasty: Same as in GTA IV but looks a bit older.
Oceanic: '58 Plymouth Belvedere
Oracle: E24 BMW 6er
PMP 300: '76 Chrysler Cordoba with soft Corinthian leather.
Perennial: Chevy Nova Wagon
Peyote: '59 Ford Thunderbird
Phoenix: '77 Pontiac Trans-Am "Fire chicken"
Picador: '70 Chevy El Camino *NEW VEHICLE*
Pinnacle: Datsun 810
Police Cruiser: '75 Plymouth Gran Fury
Police Patrol: Plymouth Valiant police pack
Premier: Chevy Chevette
Presidente: '76 Cadillac Seville
Primo: '73 Toyota Corona
Rancher: '73 GMC Jimmy
Rebla: E21 BMW 3er
Regina: '76 Ford Gran Torino Country Squire
Rhapsody: AMC Pacer
Romero: '77 Cadillac Hearse
Ruiner: '77 Pontiac Sunbird
Rumpo: '74 Dodge B-200 Van
Sabre: '77 Oldsmobile Cutlass
Sabre GT: '70 Buick GSX
Schafter: Mercedes SEL 6.9
Sentinel: BMW 745
Solair: '75 Volvo 244
Slamvan: LatD Slamvan
Stafford: Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow
Stallion: '67 Ford Mustang Fatsback
Stratum: Chevy Chevelle wagon '73-77
Stretch: '77 Cadillac Fleetwood stretch
Sultan: '76 Toyota Celica ST Coupe
Sultan GT: '76 Toyota Celica GT
Super GT: Aston Martin V8 Vantage
Tampa: Dodge Dart GTS
Taxi: '75 Ford LTD
Thundercougarfalconbird: Stutz Blackhawk *NEW VEHICLE*
Tornado: '58 Chevy Impala *NEW VEHICLE*
Turismo: Maserati Kylami
Twister: Mazda RX4 *NEW VEHICLE*
Uranus: '77 Ford Mustang II
Vigero: Same as in GTA IV
Vincent: '74 Dodge Colt/Mitsubishi Galant
Virgo: Same as in GTA IV but with minor changes.
Voodoo: Chevolet Impala
Washington: '76 Lincoln Continental
Willard: '77 Buick LeSabre
Windsor: Jaguar XJS
(?): Citicar electric car *NEW VEHICLE* (Needs a name)
Edited by Jacky Fiend, 01 July 2009 - 09:40 PM.