187 replies to this topic
Money Over Bullshit
  • Money Over Bullshit

Mack Militant

• Members
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2010
    Best Concept Story 2010 "The Code of The Streets"

Posted 25 April 2009 - 11:38 PM Edited by Money Over Bullshit, 19 September 2009 - 10:12 PM.

I was just thinking... What if the GTA IV version of Liberty City and the GTA 3 era version were actually part of the same city/cities?

If you look at the map of the GTA 3 LC below:

Map

You can see that there is a mass of land on the left above Shoreside Vale that appears to be part of a bigger piece of land. What if that piece of land was Alderney and Staunton Island and Portland Island were situated south east of happiness Island around about where the real life Staten Island is situated relative to Liberty Island in New York.

And the reason that they don't appear in GTA IV is that they were blown up or sank or something. Or maybe it was just ommitted the same way Alderney is the only Part of Guernsey that is accessible.

I know it's a crazy and somewhat stupid Idea but it would be cool if it were true because not only would it give us a GTA version of Staten Island but it would also link both the GTA 3 and GTA IV eras together.

SIKKS66
  • SIKKS66

The Number of the Beast

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 26 April 2009 - 12:48 AM

Yeah would be good. But Liberty City 3 wasn't supposed to be a New York clone like Liberty City 4 was, rather an amalgamation of a few North American cities.

It would be cool though, adding another built up city to the Liberty state and joining the two eras together.

Pr0xy_fl00d3r
  • Pr0xy_fl00d3r

The Droogs, Finally real rapists on the scene.

• Members

Posted 26 April 2009 - 01:04 AM

You ought to save that picture then upload it on an image host instead of using a direct link from a wiki page icon14.gif

LostSoul 301281
  • LostSoul 301281

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 26 April 2009 - 08:51 AM

And the debate rages on, lol.

This came up in a thread discussing the different universes thing.

The first and biggest thing is this;

Why would two cities so close together have airports with the exact same name?

ScratchCard
  • ScratchCard

Arc.

• Members

Posted 26 April 2009 - 08:55 AM

In GTA IV, the GTA III LC never existed. It's just the same name.

Money Over Bullshit
  • Money Over Bullshit

Mack Militant

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 April 2009 - 01:15 PM

QUOTE (LostSoul 301281 @ Apr 26 2009, 08:51)

I don't know... Maybe the first one got destroyed and the built the one in dukes as a memorial or something.
There are some holes in the theory I'll admit but I still think it's plausable.

And about the image hosting thing...
I literally just decided to include an image in the mioddle of writing the post so I just added the first one I could find.

MrGtaman
  • MrGtaman

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 26 April 2009 - 05:32 PM

QUOTE (LostSoul 301281 @ Apr 26 2009, 08:51)

Correct me if I'm wrong but back in the riots topic you said you had read those topics I gave ya links to wink.gif Here's a theory...

http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=402905

QUOTE (Gtaman)
The problem is, both cities have Francis International Airport... But maybe the two cities are competing or something so that explains those little similarities including Staunton looking like Algonquin. Maybe III's LC is not a city, just a small town(really, does it have the size of Bohan?), a joke which just wants to have the glory of the real city. III's LC even might have been somehow destroyed, by terrorists or global warming, you know. The Dukes airport got renamed after Francis International then.

Money Over Bullsh*t, join the club wink.gif

Captain_Obvis456
  • Captain_Obvis456

you're about to be inadequate

• Members

Posted 26 April 2009 - 07:29 PM

Could you post a link to that picture cause the image is gone.

JamalG
  • JamalG

King Jamal

• Members

Posted 26 April 2009 - 07:52 PM

ive always like to think, that theres Liberty City and Little Liberty City - both are in the north of America and both cities citiziens hate each other cause they think their city is better than the second... that also explains why in GTA IV LC theres so much VC, LS, SF and LV mentions and no Little LC (Portland, SI, SV)...

Money Over Bullshit
  • Money Over Bullshit

Mack Militant

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 April 2009 - 11:34 PM

Posted a link to the image instead

Sergi
  • Sergi

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 26 April 2009 - 11:38 PM

QUOTE (ScratchCard @ Apr 26 2009, 08:55)
In GTA IV, the GTA III LC never existed. It's just the same name.

And you can prove that right? Didn't think so.

SIKKS66
  • SIKKS66

The Number of the Beast

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 26 April 2009 - 11:57 PM

QUOTE (JamalG @ Apr 26 2009, 19:52)
ive always like to think, that theres Liberty City and Little Liberty City - both are in the north of America and both cities citiziens hate each other cause they think their city is better than the second... that also explains why in GTA IV LC theres so much VC, LS, SF and LV mentions and no Little LC (Portland, SI, SV)...

Could also argue that the VC, SA etc alluded to in GTA 4 are completely different cities to the ones of GTA3 era.

Catch-22 situation here, a vicious circle that has no answer!

Money Over Bullshit
  • Money Over Bullshit

Mack Militant

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 April 2009 - 12:03 AM

QUOTE (SIKKS66 @ Apr 26 2009, 23:57)
QUOTE (JamalG @ Apr 26 2009, 19:52)

Could also argue that the VC, SA etc alluded to in GTA 4 are completely different cities to the ones of GTA3 era.

Catch-22 situation here, a vicious circle that has no answer!

I think that if they do Vice City or San Andreas again... They will be quite similar to the way they were before because when GTA III was made Liberty City was just supposed to be a achitypical City with Industrial, Residential and commercial zones loosely based on New York but when they made Vice City and in Particular San Andreas they drew inspiration heavily from Miami, LA, San Francisco and Vegas. So VC and SA are copies of those cities in the same way LC in 4 is a copy of NY.

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Camp Crystal Lake

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 27 April 2009 - 03:45 AM Edited by Miamivicecity, 27 April 2009 - 04:08 AM.

I don't think the LC in GTA III is linked to the LC in GTA IV at all.

user posted image

Whenever I look at GTA III's map I often wonder where that tunnel in Shoreside Vale goes to, but then I remember how Carcer City in Manhunt has always been described as being near by Liberty City, so more than likely it's linked to Carcer City, instead of being apart of Alderney.

Rachinator
  • Rachinator

GTAV Here we come!

• Members

Posted 27 April 2009 - 07:05 AM

No. Just...no.

Different universes Rockstar claimed it and since its their story and they call the shots, then that's what's true. Sorry to bring a hard smack of reality to the thread but it needed it confused.gif

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Camp Crystal Lake

• Australia

Posted 27 April 2009 - 07:09 AM

R* have never claimed it's a different universe, nor have they claimed it's the same one. No one really knows for sure.

Kingfisher14
  • Kingfisher14

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 29 April 2009 - 10:46 AM

i think you think too much.. suicidal.gif

jamesgtaivxbox360
  • jamesgtaivxbox360

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 April 2009 - 10:24 PM

I wish my dad was still alive.

MitchJ90
  • MitchJ90

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 29 April 2009 - 10:29 PM

It would be bad if they were connected, its great we have a brand new start apart from minor things.

Yes a NEW start, why wont people accept the truth FFS.

DavidGC
  • DavidGC

"Die!"

• Members

Posted 30 April 2009 - 03:34 AM

QUOTE (jamesgtaivxbox360 @ Apr 29 2009, 22:24)

I hope he stays dead. You don't deserve a father, you horrible excuse for a festering piece of sh*t.

Sergi
  • Sergi

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 30 April 2009 - 04:01 AM

QUOTE (DavidGC @ Apr 30 2009, 03:34)
QUOTE (jamesgtaivxbox360 @ Apr 29 2009, 22:24)

I hope he stays dead. You don't deserve a father, you horrible excuse for a festering piece of sh*t.

Woah that was jars. Where'd that come from?

kareljanis
  • kareljanis

Player lover

• Members

Posted 30 April 2009 - 05:09 AM

^now that's just uncalled for

anyway, it would be weird if the LC in IV and LC in III were in the same universe. they have the same name, and bare some similarities. and i doubt an entire city can be rebuilt in 6 years. that's just ridiculous. but as someone said, we'll never quite know the real answer.

CryptReaperDorian
  • CryptReaperDorian

Boss

• Members

Posted 30 April 2009 - 05:22 AM

QUOTE (kareljanis @ Apr 29 2009, 23:09)
^now that's just uncalled for

anyway, it would be weird if the LC in IV and LC in III were in the same universe. they have the same name, and bare some similarities. and i doubt an entire city can be rebuilt in 6 years. that's just ridiculous. but as someone said, we'll never quite know the real answer.

Another thing is it could be a "re-imagining" as some say. Maybe R* wanted GTA III's LC look like GTA IV's map to start with, but they had difficulties as it was their first GTA to implement the street view with a rotatable camera (goes to first person though).

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Camp Crystal Lake

• Australia

Posted 30 April 2009 - 07:08 AM

QUOTE (CryptReaperDorian @ Apr 30 2009, 16:22)
Another thing is it could be a "re-imagining" as some say. Maybe R* wanted GTA III's LC look like GTA IV's map to start with, but they had difficulties as it was their first GTA to implement the street view with a rotatable camera (goes to first person though).

Yeah that's another theory too. I honestly believe IV's rendition of LC is the one R* have always wanted.

If they had the technology available back in 2001, I wouldn't have been surprised if we got IV's LC instead.

The GTA Guy
  • The GTA Guy

The Frisker

• Members

Posted 30 April 2009 - 07:14 AM

QUOTE (MitchJ90 @ Apr 29 2009, 22:29)
It would be bad if they were connected, its great we have a brand new start apart from minor things.

Yes a NEW start, why wont people accept the truth FFS.

Agree, Rockstar said this is a new start (if I remember correctly)
So, you may see Vice City in next GTA, but it's different, nothing like original Vice City, just like new Liberty City... I don't see nothing similarities in those two maps, they are completely different. In my opinion.

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Camp Crystal Lake

• Australia

Posted 30 April 2009 - 07:23 AM Edited by Miamivicecity, 30 April 2009 - 07:27 AM.

R* have never said that IV is a "new start". The most they said is that virtually no characters from the past game would return in IV.

IMO IV is still in the same universe as the GTA III GTAs, but it's "forgotten" most of the events from previous games. Kind of like how Batman Begins is to earlier Batman movies. Or how Halloween H20 "forgets" everything that happened between Halloween 2 up until that point.

I reckon IV is like that. It's a different perspective of the same universe.

MitchJ90
  • MitchJ90

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:04 AM

Forgetting everything is pretty much a new universe....

MrGtaman
  • MrGtaman

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:29 AM

QUOTE (MitchJ90 @ Apr 30 2009, 11:04)

Not everything. There are some references to the past events, I've just found one.

Kingfisher14
  • Kingfisher14

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:36 AM

i thought most people accepted that IV is a new canon and therefore LC is a "new" city i.e totally remodeled in the way R wanted to do in the past but couldn't due to various limitations.

just accept it's a new version of LC and totally different to the older renditions, it'll do you the world of good. biggrin.gif

MitchJ90
  • MitchJ90

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:44 AM

QUOTE (MrGtaman @ Apr 30 2009, 11:29)
QUOTE (MitchJ90 @ Apr 30 2009, 11:04)

Not everything. There are some references to the past events, I've just found one.

Its an easter egg, a reference, just ebcause its a new universe doesnt mean everything has to eb different, if theres LC in both worlds why cant there be characters.

Its clearly a new universe, people are just stubborn and look to much into things.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users