Cars.. keep.. crashing..

22 replies to this topic
hamzta09
  • hamzta09

Speeeed.

• Members

Posted 22 April 2009 - 08:45 PM

into eachother..

So, how come all these cars in the traffic keep crashing into each other? I mean, when you drive calmly around somewhere then you stop at a redlight, some car keep bumping into you as if you werent there.

You also see hundreds of cars having bent in rear/front bumpers and hoods, why do they do it? Not very immersive, they all jerks or what?

NiSsAn_BoY
  • NiSsAn_BoY

Hustler

• Members

Posted 22 April 2009 - 08:58 PM

lol they put the realism in there too much didnt they? tounge.gif

PharmacisT-
  • PharmacisT-

Snitch

• Members

Posted 22 April 2009 - 09:01 PM

i noticed that too^^ in 2 areas ... on bridges and there where the highway starts @ jacobs cafee

when u stop on a redlight they don crash into u .. they stop .. and after 5 seconds they r like "get off the road biatch" and then they bump into u..

its like there wouldnt be a redlight and u would stop on a normal road

Girish
  • Girish

• India

Posted 22 April 2009 - 09:01 PM

QUOTE (NiSsAn_BoY @ Apr 23 2009, 02:28)
lol they put the realism in there too much didnt they? tounge.gif

Won't that be unrealism instead? I mean, I certainly don't see too many cars bumping into each other within a small radius in real life. That would be chaotic!

NiSsAn_BoY
  • NiSsAn_BoY

Hustler

• Members

Posted 22 April 2009 - 09:03 PM Edited by NiSsAn_BoY, 22 April 2009 - 09:05 PM.

QUOTE (girishb @ Apr 22 2009, 16:01)
Won't that be unrealism instead? I mean, I certainly don't see too many cars bumping into each other within a small radius in real life. That would be chaotic!

trust me around here where I live I see cars hit each other alot

i noticed that too^^ in 2 areas ... on bridges and there where the highway starts @ jacobs cafee

when u stop on a redlight they don crash into u .. they stop .. and after 5 seconds they r like "get off the road biatch" and then they bump into u..

its like there wouldnt be a redlight and u would stop on a normal road

Id say Idiots or ass holes lol

Murcchachosa
  • Murcchachosa

Foot Soldier

• BUSTED!

Posted 22 April 2009 - 09:18 PM

Its annoying.
I m facing this problem too much when Im driving on bridges.
Damn, its like SA.
Stupid dogsh*tbitches.
You found your lovely car atlast and then its raped.
And then these sh*theads yelling at you "Stupid malaka!"

apos2008
  • apos2008

Snitch

• Members

Posted 22 April 2009 - 09:20 PM

stupid malaka Hahahaha malaka is greek worl it means asshole

TheWelshGamer
  • TheWelshGamer

Bilbo T Baggins

• Members

Posted 22 April 2009 - 09:23 PM

Happens to me also, infact after playing pool with roman he asked to take him home, I went over the toll bridge speeding on a motorbike, then I see a car in the middle of the road that crashed, I crashed into it and me and roman went flying into the water (Your friend has been injured) sigh.gif

hamzta09
  • hamzta09

Speeeed.

• Members

Posted 22 April 2009 - 10:00 PM

QUOTE (TheWelshGamer @ Apr 22 2009, 21:23)
Happens to me also, infact after playing pool with roman he asked to take him home, I went over the toll bridge speeding on a motorbike, then I see a car in the middle of the road that crashed, I crashed into it and me and roman went flying into the water (Your friend has been injured) sigh.gif

LOL, yeah I notice on the bridges when theres 2 lanes on each side, they keep switching lanes, stupidity!

So you cant go in the middle in a high speed NRG900. cryani.gif

And you cant cruise around either as if you were in the world in your Feltzer cause people keep crashing into you.

nitro_hedgehog
  • nitro_hedgehog

pc gamer

• Members

Posted 22 April 2009 - 10:46 PM

it's even worse if you have the "realistic driving" mod. which aside from letting you drive at speeds that the cars are actually capable of. the traffic goes faster and they ALWAYS rear-end eachother.

juscal
  • juscal

Pimp

• Members

Posted 23 April 2009 - 01:51 AM

I found in SA that cars usually crash up my arse if i slam the brakes on. If you slowly put them on (tapping the brake) and come to a slow stop they don't tend to smell your anus as much. I haven't paid as much attention to IV to notice if this happens.

john88z
  • john88z

Prankster

• Members

Posted 23 April 2009 - 01:59 AM

people in LC are just bad drivers. Ever thought of that?

nemesi5
  • nemesi5

Soloist

• Members

Posted 23 April 2009 - 03:12 AM

QUOTE (juscal @ Apr 22 2009, 18:51)
I found in SA that cars usually crash up my arse if i slam the brakes on. If you slowly put them on (tapping the brake) and come to a slow stop they don't tend to smell your anus as much. I haven't paid as much attention to IV to notice if this happens.

Especially with ABS now, I think that would work since in IV they tend to stop when they are near you, using your ABS brakes can solve it smile.gif

IJM
  • IJM

I am NOT in denial.

• BUSTED!

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:36 AM

The main places you get the front-rear shunts are when they are travelling downhill. It's like the ped drivers are configured to brake at a set rate which is fine for uphill and on the level, but going downhill it's not enough, so you get shunts. Once I noticed that I was able to adjust my driving and avoid getting caught up in it quite as much.

syrdax
  • syrdax

Serial gamer

• Members

Posted 23 April 2009 - 10:12 AM

Thing is on bridges more than often, in fact, if they from some rarity are driving well, suddenly a car spawns middle-wall-ed and then havock starts; or suddenly, every car on the left, like moved by some mistery hand at the same time, try to change to the right. Now, what is really annoying is (mostly when you are taking Packie across these bridges to the jobs) is that you can see ahead a cab or any other civilian literally crashing into a cop car, the law officer say just something like "now I have to fill a report" and nothing happens mercie_blink.gif and then you try to avoid that crash and barely touch the officer's car and you can end up in jail sarcasm.gif

IJM
  • IJM

I am NOT in denial.

• BUSTED!

Posted 23 April 2009 - 12:56 PM Edited by IJM, 23 April 2009 - 01:02 PM.

The lane changing issue is a tricky one. I find it difficult to determine how this aspect of GTA:IV's npc driver "intelligence" is working under the covers from observation alone.

I would guess that when each npc car is spawned it is placed on one of several paths running alone the same route. So you would have several paths running down the left lane and some down the right lane.

In SA it looked like some of these paths are setup to switch between lanes and some are not. So all the game has to do is guide the cars down each of their respective paths, so the cars follow their "rails" which cause them to change lane at set points. Quite often, these looked a little odd and artificial.

In GTA:IV it doesn't look like it's doing the exact same thing. Because although cars tend to change lanes in the same areas (typically on the bridges), they aren't all changing lane at the exact same point. It's more like (and I'm thinking as I'm typing here) the cars have been told, "you're allowed to change lane on this stretch of road". Unfortunately, it still looks very artificial when a whole laneful of cars all suddenly simultaneously make a violent lane change sideswiping all the cars already in the next lane.

The aspect that needs building into this is to make each car check if there is another car in the space into which it wishes to move, and if there is, slow down and try to slot into the gaps between the cars that already occupy that lane. Not easy to code I grant you, and it's difficult to determine if it is even possible not knowing exactly how this mechanism been implemented internally.

Rob.Zombie
  • Rob.Zombie

Sgt.Kanyo

• Members

Posted 23 April 2009 - 01:05 PM

I hate the npcs in game. They have so many bugs.
1st.: When they are going threw the bridge and a train passes by below them, they try anticipate the train's path, like the train was going on the road >_>
2nd.: There are some red lights where they just can't f*cking stop. Usually on freeways, and at the lamp where Star Junctions starts
3rd.: Rockstar still couldn't manage to make npcs react realistically to siren. I hate that these f*ckers always hit the wall/ped/lamp post or maybe even jump down the bridge (lol wtf?) And talking about sirens, why doesn't police's siren sound have no effect. When a cop car is chasing you the civilians don't pull over...

And I'm pretty sure there are even more...

Ps.: If you are fed up with traffic in SP, try MP... You'll sh*t bricks... wink.gif

Hafitz
  • Hafitz

SERIOUS PC GAMER

• Members

Posted 23 April 2009 - 01:06 PM

Well If humans make mistakes...i'm sure A.I Or NPCs will tend to make more accidents than we humans could do!

bp2018
  • bp2018

Cheese Doodle

• Members

Posted 23 April 2009 - 02:58 PM

In the words of a very 'wise' lawyer, "this is a death simulator"

Stop waiting at red lights and plouh through them. sigh.gif

hamzta09
  • hamzta09

Speeeed.

• Members

Posted 24 April 2009 - 02:04 PM

QUOTE (Rob.Zombie @ Apr 23 2009, 13:05)
2nd.: There are some red lights where they just can't f*cking stop. Usually on freeways, and at the lamp where Star Junctions starts
3rd.: Rockstar still couldn't manage to make npcs react realistically to siren. I hate that these f*ckers always hit the wall/ped/lamp post or maybe even jump down the bridge (lol wtf?) And talking about sirens, why doesn't police's siren sound have no effect. When a cop car is chasing you the civilians don't pull over...

Oh yeah the cops are dumb aswell when chasing you, they keep doing what they did in SA/GTA3/GTAVC..
They come from the front in highspeed, then all of a sudden they try to turn around to BLOCK YOU when you come in lets say 180KP/H.. I mean, who the f does that lol. Aswell when you go in highspeed on a highway they keep coming on the same lane towards you, like, wtf? Since when does cops drive on the wrong lane towards you with traffic goin towards them, aswell they do that stupid sudden brake&turn then they disappear in the horizon behind you and another cop shows up and does the same thing.

Oh and in missions, the cars seems to go on rails and they are completely stuck on them, neither can you shoot the windows or pop the tires, its like they got god mode, i remember i sprayed with an UZI on some guy in a mission i were chasing, i saw the blood sprayin through the rear window but it seemed like he had god mode lol.

ikt
  • ikt

• Members

Posted 24 April 2009 - 03:49 PM

QUOTE (hamzta09 @ Apr 24 2009, 14:04)

Oh yeah the cops are dumb aswell when chasing you, they keep doing what they did in SA/GTA3/GTAVC..
They come from the front in highspeed, then all of a sudden they try to turn around to BLOCK YOU when you come in lets say 180KP/H.. I mean, who the f does that lol. Aswell when you go in highspeed on a highway they keep coming on the same lane towards you, like, wtf? Since when does cops drive on the wrong lane towards you with traffic goin towards them, aswell they do that stupid sudden brake&turn then they disappear in the horizon behind you and another cop shows up and does the same thing.

Oh and in missions, the cars seems to go on rails and they are completely stuck on them, neither can you shoot the windows or pop the tires, its like they got god mode, i remember i sprayed with an UZI on some guy in a mission i were chasing, i saw the blood sprayin through the rear window but it seemed like he had god mode lol.

It's for cutscenes at specific locations smile.gif

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

Let's Bounce

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal

Posted 24 April 2009 - 03:53 PM

QUOTE (hamzta09 @ Apr 24 2009, 15:04)

That's on some missions where you gotta kill a person in an special place.

Rob.Zombie
  • Rob.Zombie

Sgt.Kanyo

• Members

Posted 24 April 2009 - 09:17 PM

Yeah, but if those cutscenes were made a bit better... (I mean come on sometimes you can see the car float and they are burning tires) And it's so irritating to see that when I chase a guy that goes faster than npcs, than they always crash their vehicle. Like they can't use brakes... they just turn than crash into the wall. I wanted to make realistic car chases and I ended up keep saying Suspect crashed...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users