Quantcast

» «
Photo

New WINDOWS LIVE update

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
596 replies to this topic

Poll: How has the WINDOWS LIVE update affected your GTA 4 ? (381 member(s) have cast votes)

How has the WINDOWS LIVE update affected your GTA 4 ?

1. No change it was fine before the update and is fine now (26 votes [9.56%])

Percentage of vote: 9.56%

2. The game was running fine before the update and is now stuttering (187 votes [68.75%])

Percentage of vote: 68.75%

3. I suffered stuttering before the update and now it is worse (24 votes [8.82%])

Percentage of vote: 8.82%

4. I suffered stuttering before the update and nothing has changed (9 votes [3.31%])

Percentage of vote: 3.31%

5. I didn't download the patch because I was using xliveless (26 votes [9.56%])

Percentage of vote: 9.56%

Vote
Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

Let's Bounce

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal

Posted 22 April 2009 - 04:54 PM

It ain't Rockstar... It's Microsoft. I'm starting to think that the culprit of all those GTAIV bugs is Microsoft with their f*cking Games for Windows Gay.

Maluvido
  • Maluvido

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 April 2009 - 04:57 PM Edited by Maluvido, 22 April 2009 - 04:59 PM.

i bought this game from rockstar, not from MS, if MS do something with the game, i can blame rockstar, and they fix and them, blame MS, not me.

I know that was a problem with the MS LIVE update, but, ms is on game cause rockstar agreed

sjaak327
  • sjaak327

Big Homie

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:14 PM

I wonder how Microsoft rolled out this patch, normally they would allow partners (read Rockstar and other gaming companies) to test such updates, I wonder if they did that this time.

sjaak327
  • sjaak327

Big Homie

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:17 PM

QUOTE (CharmingCharlie @ Apr 22 2009, 16:26)
QUOTE (logesh_v @ Apr 22 2009, 16:52)
iam too stuttering problem in gta4 after the game downloaded the games for windows patch automatically......wat the f***k....microsofft screwed the game........now i cant play gta4 properly...any fixes for this friends???? board admins can anyone suggest a solution for this????
devil.gif   devil.gif   devil.gif   devil.gif

You should really read the whole topic wink.gif there is a partial solution and you can read it here :-

http://www.gtaforums...entry1059162417

The preferable method is to temporarily use xliveless. This should allow you to play SP with no problems but you won't have access to any of your save games. I haven't done it myself I will simply wait for a solution. I believe this is such a major issue affecting nearly everyone that a fix will probably be issued in the next 48 hours.

The reason for not being able to access your saves, is that xliveless changes the location of the saved files. So all it takes is to copy (not move !) the files to that new location. It is described in the readme.

Just to add some information.

sh1sh1n11
  • sh1sh1n11

the stunt rider!

• Members

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:18 PM

what the hell is this update, the game was running all fine i dont know what all it fixed more than it screwed all the stuff, the game stutters like hell, i mean it! its crazy, i get nice fps but what the hell is it with stuttering and sh*t, it seems that the textures issues have been fixed to an extent but the game sucks now even more!

CharmingCharlie
  • CharmingCharlie

Proud PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:21 PM

QUOTE (sjaak327 @ Apr 22 2009, 18:17)
The reason for not being able to access your saves, is that xliveless changes the location of the saved files. So all it takes is to copy (not move !) the files to that new location. It is described in the readme.

hey you know more than me wink.gif everyone knows how much I love modding tounge.gif tounge.gif tounge.gif So I am not the worlds greatest expert on this biggrin.gif

richiespeed13
  • richiespeed13

Live for the Nordschleife...

• Members

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:22 PM

QUOTE (sh1sh1n11 @ Apr 22 2009, 17:18)
what the hell is this update, the game was running all fine i dont know what all it fixed more than it screwed all the stuff, the game stutters like hell, i mean it! its crazy, i get nice fps but what the hell is it with stuttering and sh*t, it seems that the textures issues have been fixed to an extent but the game sucks now even more!

I am thinking, maybe this update has overwritten a file in the gta directory? Maybe its changed the way textures are loaded?

Confusing...

Trevor_
  • Trevor_

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:26 PM

Not that we need another confirmation, but I can say without a doubt, my game was running substantially better before this update. severely reduced FPS. If we run xliveless we cant play online though right?

sjaak327
  • sjaak327

Big Homie

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:26 PM

QUOTE (richiespeed13 @ Apr 22 2009, 17:22)
QUOTE (sh1sh1n11 @ Apr 22 2009, 17:18)

I am thinking, maybe this update has overwritten a file in the gta directory? Maybe its changed the way textures are loaded?

Confusing...

Nah, the live client isn't even installed in the GTAIV directory, it puts stuff in system32 on x86 systems. One of it's functions (beside providing chat, multiplay and achievements) is protection of memory. (so for instance some memory addresses are protected and cannot be changed by memory editors or other utilites (like trainers).

Rob.Zombie
  • Rob.Zombie

Sgt.Kanyo

• Members

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:28 PM

My gta was running fine then I got this f*cking update. GFWL said that I won'T be able to sign in until I download it, so I didn't know what is was. I downloaded it and *BLAM* I HAD gta4, cuz what I have now is not GTA IV... :|
Does any1 know something about a new GFWL update that'll fix this issue?

richiespeed13
  • richiespeed13

• Members

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:30 PM

QUOTE (sjaak327 @ Apr 22 2009, 17:26)
Nah, the live client isn't even installed in the GTAIV directory, it puts stuff in system32 on x86 systems. One of it's functions (beside providing chat, multiplay and achievements) is protection of memory. (so for instance some memory addresses are protected and cannot be changed by memory editors or other utilites (like trainers).

ah ok, thanks for clearing that one up smile.gif

Dcrysis02
  • Dcrysis02

The Stronger One

• Members

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:32 PM

QUOTE (CharmingCharlie @ Apr 22 2009, 17:21)
QUOTE (sjaak327 @ Apr 22 2009, 18:17)

hey you know more than me wink.gif everyone knows how much I love modding tounge.gif tounge.gif tounge.gif So I am not the worlds greatest expert on this biggrin.gif

Don't worry Charles,you too shall soon fall to the dark side. devil.gif tounge.gif

On a more serious note,i can understand why everyone is so upset.And yes,i think someone should really tell the crowd that a solution to this problem is in the works.I mean,this is not a good commercial for the company.Not after the GDC09 speech...no.Not after that.

xxCrowTechxx
  • xxCrowTechxx

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:46 PM

From the link Dcrysis02 posted above (GDC09)...

"This update and other features currently in development represent a tipping point in the evolution of Games for Windows LIVE as a leading online PC gaming network," said Ron Pessner, general manager of Games for Windows LIVE. "In the coming months, we will continue to deliver on our promise to provide gamers and publishers with the industry's best connected gaming experiences through the LIVE service."

At least as far as GTA is concerned....FAIL.

I personally like how even if I don't login to GFWL the game is still FUBAR and that had I not updated, I could play but not access the save games stored on my LOCAL PC. That's a FAIL^10.

The real steal too, SP is affected - MP is not?? That one is a WTF beyond the scale of current mathematics.

What's kind of scary to me is that this seems like it could be a multi threaded problem. Thread lock anyone? Anyone? Just saying it sure is acting like one.

trafo
  • trafo

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:50 PM

ooof, so my PC isn't broken smile.gif But when thay are planning to fix it?! angry.gif Maybe they want all of us to buy an Xbox 360?! omfg, i can't believe it! how?! how patch can destroy my game?!

Maluvido
  • Maluvido

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:54 PM

still waiting for some fix... rampage_ani.gif

JohnZS
  • JohnZS

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:56 PM

I do not mean to troll or sound negative but this Games for Windows Live Automatic Update has ruined my GTA IV gaming experience to the point that I cannot play the game until it has been resolved.

Judging by this thread (and the treads on the Games For Windows Live Groups) I am not alone, it is surprising that Microsoft have not rolled the patch back as there is clearly a problem with it.

PC Specs in my sig, and I kid you not... GTA IV was once as smooth as silk, but now my game stutters, hitches and pauses.

Please sort this issue out as soon as possible.

Charlie have you managed to Charm some information out of Rockstar or Microsoft with regards to an ETA for a fix?

Kind Regards

John

Ardbug
  • Ardbug

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:57 PM Edited by Ardbug, 22 April 2009 - 06:05 PM.

Well Im happy to provide a little comic relief while we wait for some kind of response from M$ smile.gif

richiespeed13
  • richiespeed13

• Members

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:09 PM

QUOTE (Ardbug @ Apr 22 2009, 17:57)
Well Im happy to provide a little comic relief while we wait for some kind of response from M$ smile.gif

Hah they both made me laugh a little.

And i know this is off topic, but LOL at the thread "How can I save GTA IV?". The crap some of you mods have to put up with is staggering!

You got rid of the vista link wow.gif That was funny lol

TheGreyWolf
  • TheGreyWolf

Veni Vidi Vici!

• Members

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:10 PM

QUOTE (Ardbug @ Apr 22 2009, 17:57)

LOOL. That's a good one.

It made me laugh in a situation like THIS. biggrin.gif

Maluvido
  • Maluvido

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:11 PM

nothing, nobody says anything about it, Rockstar, Microsoft, nobody says nothing to this community, its too bad that they show no respect for they clients, yes, let me remind all you, WE ARE CLIENTS, do you know what is this, right rockstar?

CharmingCharlie
  • CharmingCharlie

Proud PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:14 PM

QUOTE (JohnZS @ Apr 22 2009, 18:56)
Charlie have you managed to Charm some information out of Rockstar or Microsoft with regards to an ETA for a fix?

I am afraid I am but a humble Moderator here, I don't have any contact with Rockstar so I have no information. Believe me if I had anything to tell you I would. I am pretty confident though that this problem will be fixed pretty sharpish, you just need to look at the scale of the cock up to see that people at MS are probably bricking it.

I admit that it looks bad that no one has said anything Officially. I imagine Toronto are of the view "well it wasn't us so we can't say anything" and MS are just plain arse holes anyway so they wouldn't say anything. They spent nearly 2 years denying the red ring of death happened before caving in.

TheGreyWolf
  • TheGreyWolf

Veni Vidi Vici!

• Members

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:17 PM

Yeah. We are JUST consumers. When they have the money, everything is alright for them.

MS OR R* FIX THIS PROBLEM. I WANNA PLAY GTA IV.

I F***ING PAYED 250 EUROS TO MAKE THIS GAME RUNNING AVERAGE 41 FPS!!!!

This is just a great example of two big companies "working together" to fix this problem.
What a great co-operation.

Ardbug
  • Ardbug

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:19 PM

QUOTE (richiespeed13 @ Apr 22 2009, 18:09)
You got rid of the vista link wow.gif That was funny lol

Heh yeah it wasnt a true blue screen of death, it was his screen saver, but I decided to not throw questionable jokes around while M$ is under this firestorm, it didnt seem fair, like kicking someone who is down already, but it was funny though hehe smile.gif

Maluvido
  • Maluvido

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:19 PM

QUOTE (CharmingCharlie @ Apr 22 2009, 18:14)
QUOTE (JohnZS @ Apr 22 2009, 18:56)

I am afraid I am but a humble Moderator here, I don't have any contact with Rockstar so I have no information. Believe me if I had anything to tell you I would. I am pretty confident though that this problem will be fixed pretty sharpish, you just need to look at the scale of the cock up to see that people at MS are probably bricking it.

I admit that it looks bad that no one has said anything Officially. I imagine Toronto are of the view "well it wasn't us so we can't say anything" and MS are just plain arse holes anyway so they wouldn't say anything. They spent nearly 2 years denying the red ring of death happened before caving in.

as i sad before, i brought this game from rockstar, not from MS, so, please rockstar, fix it!

i know that was a problem from a MS update, but, hey, we are complain when we play GTA...

Hafitz
  • Hafitz

SERIOUS PC GAMER

• Members

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:21 PM Edited by Hafitz, 22 April 2009 - 06:24 PM.

I wanted to play GTA IV this morning on my pc..to my luck..i came across this thread..and i was soooo upset to know that PC is all about troubleshooting again...Dont get me wrong..i am a PC Gamer since Commander Keen game was released..yesterday i've been troubleshooting Rainbow Six Vegas 2 Sound issues with no success..Last week i was troubleshooting Prince Of persia (2008) due to the stuttering and still with No Success...I mean..These Few Years PC gaming has been having a lot of technical Issues which we users must Fixed..and these technical issues mostly came since the day Xbox was born..many developers tend to give poor port and support for the PC.. i got nothing against Consoles of course..but i have a Huge beef against Microsoft..They Created Windows..and now they are killing their own creation with their Xbox Consoles...

Here's a Note : IF GTA IV Got Screwed on the Xbox 360 due to an xbox Live update just like the PC version Did today..I'm sure by now Microsoft would have fixed it..But it seems That Microsoft Neglect PC Needs...!! And now what??! Windows 8?!! They are really Gobbling our Money Guys!!!!!!!

I don't Blame Rockstar for this..But i guess..It's either Rockstar got no choice but to fix it in V1.4 patch..Or We need to deal with the probs with ourself just like how we deal with some Crappy PC Port games That were in the market all these while..

So i didnt boot up any GFWL tittle Today after realizing these posts...But instead..i boot up my GTA IV on my Xbox 360 and play it..i have no choice..i'm not updating this crap till there's an Official Fix!!!

I really hope theres an official Fix soon! i pity you guys who have updated Your service...I'm beginning to lose more faith on microsoft Now..!!

AmbiquitY
  • AmbiquitY

Rat

• Members

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:38 PM

My game stutters a LOT, but it's still "playable".
I mean after a while you start getting used to it..
I just started to love GTA 4 again because I just started over and it's so much fun now!
But yeah.. I can still play and kinda enjoy it.

DELETEDUSER
  • DELETEDUSER

Prankster

• Members

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:44 PM

My game didnt stutter before update, but now the single player stutters!!! WTF!

Any ideas?

Multiplayer works fine though.

Maluvido
  • Maluvido

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:46 PM

QUOTE (AmbiquitY @ Apr 22 2009, 18:38)
My game stutters a LOT, but it's still "playable".
I mean after a while you start getting used to it..
I just started to love GTA 4 again because I just started over and it's so much fun now!
But yeah.. I can still play and kinda enjoy it.

are you kidding, right? Are you sayng that your game is crap, but you can use to it?

I can NOT.

Rockstar and MS, i dont care who will fix the problem, i just want a solution...

AmbiquitY
  • AmbiquitY

Rat

• Members

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:46 PM

Lol read the previous 17 pages.
Everybody has the same problem.

gitrmanuk
  • gitrmanuk

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:49 PM

Hi, my first post on these forums though I've been reading them since I got the game last December.

My game ran lovely on Vista 64 until the dreaded GFWL update, and although the XLiveLess does fix the stuttering in single player
it's alot of fiddling about every time you want to play some online after playing offline and visa versa.

So with my friend seeej's cunning idea to write a script to install/uninstall the XLiveLess firmly in my mind I set to work.

The result is 2 shortcuts on my desktop, one for offline SP and the other for online MP, that link to 2 bat files that copy/delete the
xlive.dll into/from the GTA IV directory and run the apropriate exe to fire up the game

If anyone running Vista 64 fancies trying it make sure to follow the readme after unraring the folder.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FYBT3BUH

smile.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users