Photo

A reference to the riots in Los Santos

57 replies to this topic
MrGtaman
  • MrGtaman

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 17 April 2009 - 01:42 PM

I was surfing the ingame internet for fun and found this: http://img21.imagesh...7/riotsinls.jpg

"Remember the riots in Los Santos a few years back?"

I'm pretty sure that's not another Easter egg but a reference to the events of GTA: San Andreas, even though it's just a phrase and 16 years is too much for "a few years". orly.gif

mrpain
  • mrpain

wub wub

• Members

Posted 17 April 2009 - 03:34 PM

Never came across that website. Still cool though

El Zilcho
  • El Zilcho

Virtuoso

• The Connection
  • European-Union

Posted 17 April 2009 - 04:32 PM

Just an easter egg. Nice find though.

Pr0xy_fl00d3r
  • Pr0xy_fl00d3r

The Droogs, Finally real rapists on the scene.

• Members

Posted 17 April 2009 - 05:46 PM

loot and wank is a parody of MMORPG games, its on the in game radio, it takes the piss out of games such as World of Warcraft and other nerdy games, you should listen, its funny as hell.

As for the Los Santos reference, thats nothing really, its just R* being realistic, think about it, San Andreas is the GTA version of California, which is a major state, so its inevitable for R* to include talks of other major cities and states. Vice city is often referenced, there is a TV show called Las Venturas poker challenge, or something. If you search the web on blog snobs and craplist you will find references to other GTA cites such as San Fiero and Carcer city (well, technically Carcer is a manhunt city but R* nonetheless).

cggc93
  • cggc93

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 17 April 2009 - 06:49 PM

QUOTE (Pr0xy_fl00d3r @ Apr 17 2009, 17:46)
Vice city is often referenced, there is a TV show called Las Venturas poker challenge, or something.

Yeah but Las Venturas isn't a part of Vice City.

Pr0xy_fl00d3r
  • Pr0xy_fl00d3r

The Droogs, Finally real rapists on the scene.

• Members

Posted 17 April 2009 - 07:01 PM

QUOTE (cggc93 @ Apr 17 2009, 19:49)
Vice city is often referenced, there is a TV show called Las Venturas poker challenge, or something.

Yeah but Las Venturas isn't a part of Vice City.

I never said it was, I said that Vice city is referenced and that their is a TV show which is based on Las Venturas.

MrGtaman
  • MrGtaman

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 17 April 2009 - 08:06 PM

As for the Los Santos reference, thats nothing really, its just R* being realistic, think about it, San Andreas is the GTA version of California, which is a major state, so its inevitable for R* to include talks of other major cities and states.

So what? Los Santos is a part of the GTA universe and the riots took place there back in 1992 during the San Andreas storyline. I believe it's not just a coincidence.

Matt21
  • Matt21

Gimme your wallet

• Members

Posted 17 April 2009 - 11:49 PM

nice

MC.
  • MC.

LS Menace

• Members

Posted 18 April 2009 - 03:52 AM

Cool find man. I've never seen that website before.

tljjjr99
  • tljjjr99

Snitch

• Members

Posted 18 April 2009 - 04:02 AM

Maybe Rockstar's GTA5 and 6 will be about Vice City and San Andreas? Perhaps, all these references to Vice City and San Andreas are references to the new versions?? I dunno...

Omnia sunt Communia
  • Omnia sunt Communia

Tierra Y Libertad

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 April 2009 - 04:21 AM

Maybe Rockstar were referencing the Los Angeles riots (which those missions in San Andreas were based-off) and decided to use Los Santos instead of Los Angeles.

MrGtaman
  • MrGtaman

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 18 April 2009 - 09:36 AM

QUOTE (Jacky Fiend @ Apr 18 2009, 04:21)
Maybe Rockstar were referencing the Los Angeles riots (which those missions in San Andreas were based-off) and decided to use Los Santos instead of Los Angeles.

Well, in San Andreas the riots in Los Santos is a reference to the real events in Los Angeles. In IV they reference to the depicted events in Los Santos since it's already happened there.

LostSoul 301281
  • LostSoul 301281

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 18 April 2009 - 10:22 AM

QUOTE (MrGtaman @ Apr 17 2009, 13:42)
I was surfing the ingame internet for fun and found this: http://img21.imagesh...7/riotsinls.jpg

I'm pretty sure that's not another Easter egg but a reference to the events of GTA: San Andreas, even though it's just a phrase and 16 years is too much for "a few years". orly.gif

The LA riots were quite a significant event in real life history.
Even though we're dealing with different GTA universes here, the LS riots are still referenced as it may play some part later in the GTA IV universe story.

It's the same with the Vice City and general San Andreas references.
It's to give some kind of perspective to the location of these cities.
If VC and SA are made in this generation, I'm willing to bet that they will not be the same as they were in the old PS2 games.

MrGtaman
  • MrGtaman

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 18 April 2009 - 11:22 AM

QUOTE (LostSoul 301281 @ Apr 18 2009, 10:22)

Even though we're dealing with different GTA universes here, the LS riots are still referenced as it may play some part later in the GTA IV universe story.

If VC and SA are made in this generation, I'm willing to bet that they will not be the same as they were in the old PS2 games.

First, it is not a different universe until R* say that.
Second, I see some of you guys think that R* mention real cities but calling them in their way. That's not true. All of those cities are in the GTA universe that's why they have their own names, look, R* don't call any other geographical locations somehow else, do they?

Yeah, I think that the new VC and SA(if one of the next games takes place there) will more likely look different but I'm sure there'll be some explanation...

El Zilcho
  • El Zilcho

Virtuoso

• The Connection
  • European-Union

Posted 18 April 2009 - 11:50 AM

QUOTE (MrGtaman @ Apr 18 2009, 11:22)

Second, I see some of you guys think that R* mention real cities but calling them in their way. That's not true. All of those cities are in the GTA universe that's why they have their own names, look, R* don't call any other geographical locations somehow else, do they?

Yeah, I think that the new VC and SA(if one of the next games takes place there) will more likely look different but I'm sure there'll be some explanation...

It is a different universe! Dan Houser said it! It may be hard to track down but I've read it myself, GTA III Canon is over; none of the characters from the old games exist or ever existed in GTA IV, none of the events happened unless R* said. So get your head out of the sand, it didn't happen. Totally seperate canon.

nerner
  • nerner

OG

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 April 2009 - 11:56 AM

QUOTE (MrGtaman @ Apr 17 2009, 20:06)
As for the Los Santos reference, thats nothing really, its just R* being realistic, think about it, San Andreas is the GTA version of California, which is a major state, so its inevitable for R* to include talks of other major cities and states.

So what? Los Santos is a part of the GTA universe and the riots took place there back in 1992 during the San Andreas storyline. I believe it's not just a coincidence.

But it is a very long time ago, 16 years, to be referenced in a modern day GTA.

MrGtaman
  • MrGtaman

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 18 April 2009 - 12:48 PM

QUOTE (El Zilcho @ Apr 18 2009, 11:50)

It is a different universe! Dan Houser said it! It may be hard to track down but I've read it myself, GTA III Canon is over; none of the characters from the old games exist or ever existed in GTA IV, none of the events happened unless R* said. So get your head out of the sand, it didn't happen. Totally seperate canon.

Argh... R* never said it. Except there would be no returning characters cause most of them were probably dead. So... prooflink or it didn't happen. suicidal.gif

QUOTE (nerner @ Apr 18 2009, 11:56)

QUOTE (MrGtaman @ Apr 17 2009, 20:06)

But it is a very long time ago, 16 years, to be referenced in a modern day GTA.

Well yeah but still it's a significant event. Not to be forgotten.

NikoB
  • NikoB

West Side!

• Members

Posted 18 April 2009 - 12:58 PM

Las Vegas isn't in california so San Andreas isn't completly california.

LostSoul 301281
  • LostSoul 301281

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 18 April 2009 - 05:18 PM

I'm not trying to start a fight here, but it has been mentioned, in early preview interviews, that GTA IV is set in a new universe.

Also, think about this.
If this was the same universe, then why does Liberty City look so drastically different from the one in GTA III and why have all the districts/islands changed names?
Why is FIA now on the east side of the city and not the west?
Where is the tunnel that connects all the islands?
How come there is now a beach with a fair ground/carnival on the east island?
Where has Salvatores mansion gone?
Where has the lighthouse that was behind Salvatores mansion gone?
Where has the dam gone?
And why are there now thee bridges connecting the east island to the middle island, and not just one?

The answer is, this is a new universe.

Look at it this way.
By creating a new GTA universe, i.e. starting fresh with GTA IV, Rockstar can make drastic changes to their cities without causing confusion.
This has been done with GTA IV. You just have to look at the map to see it.
The new universe idea is to stop questions like the ones above.
On top of this idea we have this; with every new console generation the GTA universe is re-invented and the previous versions have no relation to it other than the use of names.

Also, the use of names like Vice City, San Andreas/Los Santos etc. is for geographical reference, but in the GTA world.
Vice City, as well all know, is the GTA version of Miami.
San Andreas is the GTA version of California.
VC and SA still exist in this GTA world, but will more than likely be very, very different from the version from the PS2.
These cities mention is both for geographical reference and familiarity.
We know where the real world versions of these cities are in relation to the real world version of LC(New York), that's the geographical reference.
We are all also familiar with these cities from their previous incarnations in the PS2 games.
If Rockstar were to start using names of cities we haven't seen yet and we don't know a real world version, it would be confusing.
It would be like mentioning a city called Hancock City.
No one would know where this city is both in terms of a real world version and in terms to where it is in relation to LC.
Does that make sense?

NikoB
  • NikoB

West Side!

• Members

Posted 18 April 2009 - 05:27 PM

San andreas is not california, Las Vegas is in nevade and los angeles and san fransisco are in california. So its both nevada and cali.

LostSoul 301281
  • LostSoul 301281

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 18 April 2009 - 05:28 PM

I remember that interview.
As you say though, it's very hard to find.
I've tried looking several times for it, but it seems to have disappeared.

LostSoul 301281
  • LostSoul 301281

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 18 April 2009 - 05:30 PM

QUOTE (NikoB @ Apr 18 2009, 17:27)
San andreas is not california, Las Vegas is in nevade and los angeles and san fransisco are in california. So its both nevada and cali.

Fair enough.
It's just Rockstars way of simplifying the geography.

MrGtaman
  • MrGtaman

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 18 April 2009 - 09:48 PM

QUOTE (LostSoul 301281 @ Apr 18 2009, 17:28)

It's disappeared because it was fake.

El Zilcho
  • El Zilcho

Virtuoso

• The Connection
  • European-Union

Posted 18 April 2009 - 09:50 PM

QUOTE (MrGtaman @ Apr 18 2009, 21:48)

You're fake! tounge.gif

MrGtaman
  • MrGtaman

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 18 April 2009 - 09:52 PM

QUOTE (El Zilcho @ Apr 18 2009, 21:50)

You're fake! tounge.gif

I probably am biggrin.gif So are you wink.gif

El Zilcho
  • El Zilcho

Virtuoso

• The Connection
  • European-Union

Posted 18 April 2009 - 09:53 PM

QUOTE (MrGtaman @ Apr 18 2009, 21:52)

You're fake! tounge.gif

If you mean my teeth, you are mistaken. I only brush with colgate. colgate.gif

MrGtaman
  • MrGtaman

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 18 April 2009 - 09:57 PM

QUOTE (El Zilcho @ Apr 18 2009, 21:53)
QUOTE (MrGtaman @ Apr 18 2009, 21:52)

You're fake! tounge.gif

If you mean my teeth, you are mistaken. I only brush with colgate. colgate.gif

yep, colgate roxxorz, I use it too tounge.gif

Nem Wan
  • Nem Wan

The Artist Formerly Known As Magic_Al

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 April 2009 - 11:09 PM

A different universe doesn't mean nothing can be the same as before, it only means that if there's a contradiction between a new detail and an old detail, the new detail wins. I think it's very unlikely Rockstar will redo San Andreas, so the way it was is the way it is, you just have to re-imagine CJ's Liberty City time and the names of some of the people he worked for.

LostSoul 301281
  • LostSoul 301281

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 19 April 2009 - 02:22 PM

Can I just point out a few things that are important when thinking about whether GTA III series(GTA III, VC & SA) and GTA IV are set with in the same universe or not?

Firstly there's the city, as I've already pointed out and as anyone who has played GTA IV will immediately notice, is completely different.
The districts all have different names, so there's no Portland, Staunton and Shoreside Vale.
Also, Chinatown is on the middle island in IV and not the far right(east) island as in III.
FIA is on the far right(east) island in IV and not the far left(west) island as in III.
There is no sports arena on the middle island as there was in III.
There is no dam on the far left(west)island as there was in III.

Next.
The story in no way make mention of any character, event or even crime family/gang from the old LC/GTA III series.
This includes the different gangs such as Diablos, Yakuza and Yardies.
Also, the mafia commission makes no mention what so ever of the families from GTA III(Leones, Forellis or Sindaccos).

If Rockstar kept using the same characters in the exact same settings over and over, it would seem like they're running out of new ideas and the series as a whole would start to get very stale and very boring.

Sure, Lazlow has "survived" the transition, but seeing as you really can't have a GTA game now without him, and trying to re-invent him as another character probably would not have worked well, Lazlow should be looked at as more of an idea than a real, important character.

Why is it so hard for people to let go of the past and accept GTA IV as a new, re-invented and unrelated game from that of the past generation?

Nem Wan
  • Nem Wan

The Artist Formerly Known As Magic_Al

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 April 2009 - 03:35 PM

QUOTE (LostSoul 301281 @ Apr 19 2009, 08:22)
Why is it so hard for people to let go of the past and accept GTA IV as a new, re-invented and unrelated game from that of the past generation?

It is re-invented but it's not unrelated. I'd call it selective continuity.

Not everybody has played through every GTA game and I think Rockstar left the door open for certain combinations of past GTAs to be considered in continuity. Someone who played only Vice City and San Andreas would have a lot fewer problems thinking GTA IV's Liberty City is part of that world. None of the references to GTA III require the player to know GTA III. Since decades pass before GTA IV there's no need to explain why none of the cameo characters return or why the tiny parts of Liberty City that were seen have changed.

It's important to keep San Andreas and Vice City in continuity because the interviews made it clear, to me anyway, that Rockstar doesn't want to remake them. Liberty City was remade because Rockstar hadn't really done New York yet (the old Liberty City was a generic "east coast" city), but Vice City and San Andreas were a lot more specific to begin with. They've "done" Miami, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Las Vegas and they don't want to spend years doing them again.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users