• This topic is locked This topic is locked
46 replies to this topic
Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 27 April 2009 - 07:51 AM

I can't get over you young guys missing so much, glad I didn't.

I recall the high price AND selection of CDs, they were NEARLY $20USD when new, and there was no rock, only classical at the outset of CD music. If you loved classical, you were in paradise. BUT, the vintage CD was 16bit Red Book PCM and had some bad quality that was not refined for a few years yet. The CD players were around $600 initially, as it seems DVD or Digital Video Disc was at it's own debut (1997) CD was in early 1983 I believe, or some of 1982, but not all of 82. In fact, Sony's initial Walkman cassette portable was 1979 as I recall.

I got a majority of KISS albums because a friend of my Moms was working with Ktel or PickWick International so they got some records for me nearly free, or something, it was fantastic. My folks were not fond of KISS by any stretch, or secular rock. I was in a Church going Christian setting and I had to argue the merits of secular rock. I think things turned out well in the end

McLovin2404
  • McLovin2404

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:02 AM

QUOTE (Stink_Fist @ Apr 15 2009, 20:07)
Do you really want to know? Ok, here it is

user posted image

Shut up! I was only 15!

LOL. No shame dude.

My first album was back in 1995? or something like that.
user posted image

Craig
  • Craig

Hell Interface

• Members
  • None
  • Best Writer 2011

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:09 AM

QUOTE (Slamman @ Apr 27 2009, 08:51)

You see, while the young may have missed out on some great releases, there were albums released in the 1990's and even 2000's that people get excited over, and some treat them with the same warm reception as you did with a KISS record. I know I did; the feeling of buying your own CD with your own money and going home with it, eager, is something you can't compare to anything else, and regardless of what the CD is that feeling of warmth and nostalgia carries through everyone, regardless of time period and taste.

Bartleby
  • Bartleby

Not Bob Marley

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:58 AM Edited by Bartleby, 27 April 2009 - 10:01 AM.

QUOTE (playa @ Apr 20 2009, 06:20)
Mine was “(What the story morning) glory” by Oasis when I was 11. I’ve just started listening to again and I still quite like it.

I was trying to rack my brain and come up with my answer, and you nailed it for me. "(What's The Story) Morning Glory?" was also the first album I bought myself, and a great album it is.

@makeshyft: Cloud Nine is a quality album. icon14.gif

Ænemy
  • Ænemy

Digital/Concept Artist

• Members

Posted 29 April 2009 - 05:42 AM

user posted image

Mudvayne - The end of all things to come

I was traumatized in confusion from this album, but it got me started into hard core.

Okay, the real first CD I ever bought.
user posted image
I was only 8 or 9 when I got my first CD player. Didn't even listen to it much. I was trying to get my hands on a Rob Zombie album, wasn't allowed.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:52 AM

QUOTE (Masterkraft @ Apr 27 2009, 08:09)
QUOTE (Slamman @ Apr 27 2009, 08:51)

You see, while the young may have missed out on some great releases, there were albums released in the 1990's and even 2000's that people get excited over, and some treat them with the same warm reception as you did with a KISS record. I know I did; the feeling of buying your own CD with your own money and going home with it, eager, is something you can't compare to anything else, and regardless of what the CD is that feeling of warmth and nostalgia carries through everyone, regardless of time period and taste.

I was on allowence until I was out of school, so sue me, but I still grew up in the best era of music, however, people older then me could appreciate it even more... There's some truth in that circle of life, but interesting even more how it all came about on the musical timeline. Each generation adding layers. It did stagnate in the late 70s and late 90s... Most notably

Zyo
  • Zyo

Homie

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 29 April 2009 - 07:59 PM

First LP:
user posted image

First Cassette:
user posted image

Oddly enough, I can remember these two purchases from the eighties but I can't remember what was the first CD I bought. It was probably a Metallica Album. I suspect "Kill em All" but I can't be sure.

DemonKing
  • DemonKing

There's no love in your violence.

• Members

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:17 PM

sh*t man I can't even remember. I didn't start buying CD's till I was about 14-15, I didn't have much music interest until then. I think it was a NOW CD or something.

Wolfwood
  • Wolfwood

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 01 May 2009 - 08:43 AM

Holla'!

user posted image

Top that.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 03 May 2009 - 11:45 AM

I bought ALL my Metallica collection on LP, record 12 inch! I just got an email saying LP records are again making an impact in sales, cool!!

I bought And Justice For All as the audiophile pressed DMM edition. I still have that. Bought LOAD II on LP as well.

Have the Whiplash EP which they love to mark up! They sell all these LP EPs at increased cost these days

My first CD was Savage Amusement from the BMG CD compact disc club. I started via that method. Anyway, that was easy to recall, got Led Zep Physical Graffiti after that. That one is still here, but scratched ALL TO HELL

Andyzoot
  • Andyzoot

Player Hater

• Hustle Bones
  • None

Posted 03 May 2009 - 11:54 AM

I'm not really that proud of my first CD Album I ever bought. Only had about 2 or 3 good songs on it. So I'll just shar emy first LP Album I ever bought.

Unknown Pleasures by Joy Division

user posted image

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 06 May 2009 - 06:30 AM

My first was a tape. More specifically, a Jordy tape. For those who don't remember, he was some child singer from France, who was big sometime in the early 90s. Can't find an image of the cover though. And the cassette has been lost for at least 16 years.

Hart
  • Hart

who are you

• Members

Posted 06 May 2009 - 05:45 PM

The first PJ & Duncan tape (Ant & Dec for those who don't know) that came out in 1994.

Yes I'm ashamed. sad.gif

4thosebout2rock
  • 4thosebout2rock

• Members

Posted 06 May 2009 - 07:32 PM

user posted image

Still love it too. biggrin.gif

LanceVanceDance07
  • LanceVanceDance07

Endless...

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 06 May 2009 - 10:51 PM

The first album I bought was

Puff Daddy and The Family - No Way Out.

Simoneski
  • Simoneski

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:37 PM

The first album I bought was Myths Of The Near Future by Klaxons. alien.gif

The first single I owned was Make Luv by Room 5 (because my step dad bought it for me when I was 8 or 9) I remember always watching the video because it reminded me of Vice City. inlove.gif It hit #1 here in the UK and Oliver Cheatham even sang on Top Of The Pops. smile.gif

The first single I bought was Still Figuring Out by Elliot Minor. ph34r.gif

Tyler
  • Tyler

bubblingbubblingbubbling

• NATO
  • Newcomer of the Year 2010

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:46 PM

When the topic is four years old feel free to just make a new topic, dude.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users