Photo

Bypass Windows Live?

9 replies to this topic
magimaker
  • magimaker

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 14 April 2009 - 07:05 AM

OK, I just spent 2 hours trying to install GTA IV on my PC and I'm about to shoot the disks with a shotgun and pull all my hair out. NEVER have I experienced so much difficulty installing a game on a computer in 20 years. Here is the problem.

I have -no- intention on ever playing the game online. That just doesn't interest me at all. I just want to play the stand-alone game. According to the instructions, a Windows Live account and the Rockstar Social Club account are unnecessary. After trying to install the game over ten times, I would disagree. Here are my problems:

1. There is no way to launch the game OTHER than through the Social Club (which I don't want because I don't care to play online).
2. The Social Club insists on having a Windows Live account which leads me to;
3. I have created three different Windows Live accounts and NONE of them are acknowledged to be valid through the game. This is especially infuriating.
4. I managed (somehow) to get into the game. I had to sit through that insanely long intro twice to do so, but I finally got to nephew's house and was told to save the game by going to bed. But the game won't save because it wants a Windows Live account which I was told I didn't need and when I try to use any of the validated accounts I already created, the game refuses to acknowlege that any of them are valid.

I REALLY want to play this game but will be returning it back to Best Buy tomorrow unless I can find a solution. Whatever happened to the days of inserting a disk, installing a game, and playing a few minutes later. This is just insane! Please help!

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 14 April 2009 - 07:11 AM

xliveless

Also, turn of vsync, it should reduce load times radically.

FullMetal
  • FullMetal

Non-Retard

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 14 April 2009 - 07:12 AM

QUOTE (magimaker @ Apr 14 2009, 08:05)
Whatever happened to the days of inserting a disk, installing a game, and playing a few minutes later. This is just insane! Please help!

PC gaming is dieing because of easy installation... Microsoft had a great solution to bring more life into PC gaming and to make PC gaming more enjoyable: hours of installation, Xbox like online system (and hopefully as everyone wants to on every PC game WITH a fee in order to play online), a online programme that doesn't work really well and slows down your game...

Ah, I'm curious if we will be blessed with Windows Live on each game in the future...

There are some programmes out there (just look in the MODDING SECTION) that allow you to bypass Windows Live (Xliveless is the name of the programme...).

Mainland Marauder
  • Mainland Marauder

Oldschooled

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 14 April 2009 - 07:43 AM

Please don't crosspost topics.

Moving topic with replies to troubleshooting.

ikt
  • ikt

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 April 2009 - 08:09 AM

If you are able to get your hands on cracks that disable stuff, you won't need Social Club and Live anymore to launch IV. But it's still handy to keep Social Club for updates. (Because updates only install if they detect Social Club.

magimaker
  • magimaker

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 14 April 2009 - 03:44 PM

QUOTE (mkey82 @ Apr 14 2009, 07:11)
xliveless

Also, turn of vsync, it should reduce load times radically.

I have no clue what "vsync" is. I looked at that download and it didn't seem to address my issue. Again, I just want to repeat that the installation instructions say that Windows Live and the social club are not necessary to play the game. So how do I just play the game? Once I'm inside, it insists that I have Windows Live just to save my position? That really doesn't make sense. I've never heard of any game doing this in DECADES of PC gaming.

magimaker
  • magimaker

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 14 April 2009 - 03:57 PM

FYI, the error message I keep getting is:

Live Account Linking

A LIVE Gamertag was not found with the current Live ID. Please press the button below to sign out and then sign back in again with a different Live ID.

Again, to repeat, I've created THREE different Windows live accounts now thinking that maybe something in there was the issue. It isn't. All three accounts are validated and I can log into any of them through www.windowslive.com without issue. I log out, try to get the game to sync with them, and I keep getting this error message. I just hope I didn't buy a $40 coaster with this stupid game.

OverTheBelow
  • OverTheBelow

OTB "Oaty-Bee"

• Zaibatsu

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:22 PM

QUOTE (magimaker @ Apr 14 2009, 15:57)
FYI, the error message I keep getting is:

Live Account Linking

A LIVE Gamertag was not found with the current Live ID. Please press the button below to sign out and then sign back in again with a different Live ID.

Again, to repeat, I've created THREE different Windows live accounts now thinking that maybe something in there was the issue. It isn't. All three accounts are validated and I can log into any of them through www.windowslive.com without issue. I log out, try to get the game to sync with them, and I keep getting this error message. I just hope I didn't buy a $40 coaster with this stupid game.

You need to link it with your windows live gamertag.. or something. I didn't understand it very much either, but it gave me a popup every time I logged in to RSSC.

catzilla
  • catzilla

Professional pilot

• Members

Posted 15 April 2009 - 03:52 AM

Actually, xliveless solves all your problems.
1) It bypasses all windows live, RGSC and other bullsh*t
2) It saves your savegames into '%documents%\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\Savegames', insted of 'application data\etc'

You're welcome.

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 15 April 2009 - 07:43 AM

QUOTE (magimaker @ Apr 14 2009, 17:44)
I have no clue what "vsync" is.

Google is your friend.

QUOTE (magimaker @ Apr 14 2009, 17:44)
I looked at that download

No, you didn't. Had you looked, you would have seen it's what you need.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users