The Sopranos

74 replies to this topic
Rebel Yell
  • Rebel Yell

Lone Drifter

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Concepts]

Posted 10 July 2017 - 11:40 PM Edited by Loosestring, 11 July 2017 - 12:01 AM.

Geez, I didn't know there was a topic for The Sopranos down there. Just watched The Sopranos last summer and...

The Sopranos is my first love but the Wire is sort of smarter in a social, economic, political and philosophical way. However, the Sopranos is harrowing just like the Wire and the writing can be just as intelligent and beyond The Wire when it wants...

... this is exactly my comparison between The Wire and The Sopranos.

Just watched Pine Barrens

Holy sh*t that was a good episode

"Pine Barrens" is surely the peak of American TV. I see "Pine Barrens" and raise the stakes...

• The Legend of Tennessee Moltisanti - Great focus on Chrissy and plus points for Chrissy's nightmare about Emil Kolar.
  • Boca - Nothing like a heated yet comedic relief tension between Tony and Uncle June.
  • Guy Walks into a Psychiatrist's Office... - A fresh and jump-start of a new season.
  • Mr. Ruggerio's Neighborhood - I don't know but the FBI agents trying to bug Tony's house sub-plot was a nice watch.
  • ...To Save Us All from Satan's Power - One of the greatest thing with the Sopranos was flashback/dream episodes like this.
  • Army of One - Great finale to my favourite season, nice criticism on the hypocrisy of mob guys.
  • Christopher - One of the very few examples that those episodes with a focus on Sil are enjoyable to watch.
  • The Test Dream - Featuring my favourite dreaming sequence of Tony.

And some of my favourite scenes include...

• El Diablo, Mister Pink, Zello and 2 others like this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Cyberpunk

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 22 July 2017 - 06:36 PM Edited by Mister Pink, 22 July 2017 - 09:07 PM.

RIP John Heard who died yesterday..

• El Diablo, Tchuck, icecoldkilla1467 and 1 other like this

Tigereyesxx
  • Tigereyesxx

Hand of Friendship or Fist of Enmity?.....

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:20 PM Edited by Tigereyesxx, 08 September 2017 - 10:18 AM.

Been watching The Wire box set, ( I know I'm way behind the loop!) season 2, and my original thoughts have been confirmed, The Sopranos is superior in every way. In the Wire the dialogue is indecipherable, the story very difficult to follow, as style is always more important than telling a tangible tale ,feel so sorry for the script writers ,as all theirk work is lost in a peasouper fog of backround noise. Also its become the Jimmy Mcnulty show, only Idris Alba steals the limelight from his hammy performance. The Sopranos was riveting in its drama, dialogue, humour ,sex,and violence, and you knew every minute what was going on. Tony Soprano commanded the screen but all the other players had a real role to play, the relationship with his wife and kids was a tour de force on its own. I doubt it will ever be superseded...

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Cyberpunk

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 12 September 2017 - 01:12 PM Edited by Mister Pink, 12 September 2017 - 01:31 PM.

Been watching The Wire box set, ( I know I'm way behind the loop!) season 2, and my original thoughts have been confirmed, The Sopranos is superior in every way. In the Wire the dialogue is indecipherable, the story very difficult to follow, as style is always more important than telling a tangible tale ,feel so sorry for the script writers ,as all theirk work is lost in a peasouper fog of backround noise. Also its become the Jimmy Mcnulty show, only Idris Alba steals the limelight from his hammy performance. The Sopranos was riveting in its drama, dialogue, humour ,sex,and violence, and you knew every minute what was going on. Tony Soprano commanded the screen but all the other players had a real role to play, the relationship with his wife and kids was a tour de force on its own. I doubt it will ever be superseded...

Well, it's going to be difficult to appreciate if you all ready went in watching it a negative view. It's hard to follow at the start but as many say the payoff is great and is worth it. It doesn't patronize the viewer.They wanted to make it realistic. Thats why they used some actors that are convicted murderers and ex heroin dealers. The church guy is an ex heroin kingpin in Baltimore. Avon Barksdale is based on a real person. Also it's why they don't use recaps. Time keeps moving on like real life.

As for the dialogue, it's because they're using realistic street language at the time. If it's a lawyer speaking to another professional, they'll use the real language and not make it simple because they might think someone wont understand. 

It expects the viewer has a level of attention and intelligence to catch up, to listen, learn and watch. It's not bad writing, it's quite the opposite. I've watched it 3 times and I struggled a bit the first time. 2nd time was phenomenal. Especially watching the 1st season again as I was trying to figure out who is who. Now that you know who is who during a re-watch you can enjoy the show and there's always new things to pick up. I truly realized how dense and layered The Wire is. Because I truly understood it all. It was originally going to be book, so that may have something to do with the layers and dialogue. 

The Wire and The Sopranos are equally both my favourite TV shows and I've watched both multiple times. And people love one show tend to love the other. And often it's hard say which is better. They're different shows and for me both have those moments where I hear a line of dialogue or a storyline plays out and I think think it's genius. 

Please keep on with The Wire. Don't see it as some competition of what is a better show. Certainly, you aren't going to enjoy it as you have pre-conceived notions about it, now it's confirmation bias to you because you didn't agree with something in the show, that you were right and you confirmed.

Season 2 is great although some people don't like it because of the change of scenery. But I love it because The Wire is about the city. It's about institutions and how they fail people. Season 2 focuses on the docks. 

Some of the best characters have yet to come. Season 3 and 4 are great. 5 not so much. Not really good to compare  1 and bit seasons to a whole viewing of The Sopranos. 

If The Sopranos is a story about the New Jersey Mafia and their personal lives mixing with their business. The Wire is about the city of Baltimore. Its about the drug dealers as much as cops. It's about the politicians. It's about corrupt people on both sides of the law. It's about the good people on both sides of the law. It's about human way. The game. 

Assuming you seen the first episode of Season 2. Genius how McNulty got the floating body over to another jurisdiction/department because while the body was thought to be a county case, McNulty worked out the tides/winds and absolved himself from the situation and sent the case back to Rawls to piss him off. 

• Zello, Tigereyesxx and Neon_Dreaming like this

Tokasmoka
  • Tokasmoka

Peon

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 12 September 2017 - 01:46 PM

Just started this show, 5 episodes in and my god the women are annoying in this show, especially the daughter.

• Mister Pink likes this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Cyberpunk

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:23 PM

Just started this show, 5 episodes in and my god the women are annoying in this show, especially the daughter.

Yeah they're annoying but so intrinsic, so vital to the show. AJ can be annoying as hell as well. I love it. 

Neon_Dreaming
  • Neon_Dreaming

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:33 PM

I never minded Meadow, her coming to terms with the nature of Tony's line of work is an interesting arc. I always liked the episode where Tony drives her to check out colleges, it shows how Tony really has two sides to him, the family/business balance. Janice however was a pain but I get the importance of the character, in some ways she replaced Tony's mother.
  • Mister Pink and Tigereyesxx like this

Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:00 PM

AJ was the worst

• Mister Pink likes this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Cyberpunk

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 13 September 2017 - 02:38 PM

I never minded Meadow, her coming to terms with the nature of Tony's line of work is an interesting arc. I always liked the episode where Tony drives her to check out colleges, it shows how Tony really has two sides to him, the family/business balance. Janice however was a pain but I get the importance of the character, in some ways she replaced Tony's mother.

Yeah I loved that episode from season 1 when they go to check out the colleges but Tony also has work to do on the road. Yeah Meadows story was always interesting. Her rebellious phase and not talking to Carmela to coming to terms with what her Dad does as you mentioned to her change in studies. It's almost like she feels compelled to work for humanitarian causes (volunteering by giving legal aid down at the refugee centre). Also loved the way some times she would chime-in when Carmela and Tony might try discipline  AJ or they're bickering over something and of course Meadow is highly educated more than her parents ever were and she makes a great point, contradicts Tony and Carmela which annoys them but inside, surely it makes them proud.

That's another dynamic of the family that's really interesting. Tony and Carmela would have been lower-middle-class or maybe middle class but from working class immigrant families. Their children certainly wont go near the family business but have been raised in wealth and privilege, educated in top schools and colleges. Tony would be the last man the Sopranos to follow a life of crime. But I love the kind of culture/generation clash this brings between the parents and the kids. 

• Neon_Dreaming likes this

Neon_Dreaming
  • Neon_Dreaming

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 September 2017 - 03:16 PM

Yeah I loved that episode from season 1 when they go to check out the colleges but Tony also has work to do on the road. Yeah Meadows story was always interesting. Her rebellious phase and not talking to Carmela to coming to terms with what her Dad does as you mentioned to her change in studies. It's almost like she feels compelled to work for humanitarian causes (volunteering by giving legal aid down at the refugee centre). Also loved the way some times she would chime-in when Carmela and Tony might try discipline  AJ or they're bickering over something and of course Meadow is highly educated more than her parents ever were and she makes a great point, contradicts Tony and Carmela which annoys them but inside, surely it makes them proud.

That's another dynamic of the family that's really interesting. Tony and Carmela would have been lower-middle-class or maybe middle class but from working class immigrant families. Their children certainly wont go near the family business but have been raised in wealth and privilege, educated in top schools and colleges. Tony would be the last man the Sopranos to follow a life of crime. But I love the kind of culture/generation clash this brings between the parents and the kids. 

Yeah that's a good point you make with Meadow's humanitarian work and her feeling compelled to do it, at the time I didn't give that much thought into the good deeds she was doing, but she could be partly doing it to try and offset the criminal deeds of Tony. In her head trying to balance out the karma maybe.

It never dawned on me that Tony is the last generation of the Soprano crime family, his kids have gone down their respective law abiding paths. Quite ironic that his life of crime paid for Meadow and AJ being able to live law-abiding and comfortable lives as regular citizens.
Speaking of Tony being middle class there's a dream episode where Tony imagines himself as a regular working man, it gives an interesting insight into what his life could have been. I believe it's the episode where he has food poisoning.
  • Mister Pink likes this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:14 PM

say bye-bye

http://ew.com/tv/201...nos-goodfellas/

• The Yokel and Ivan1997GTA like this

Zello